Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

post-344-1344801047.jpg post-344-1344801064.jpg

post-344-1344801082.jpg

Barn find Normandy .............

well I was faced with a dilemma here, agree to the owners request or don't take the photo's to show forum members ...................

the agreement was that I didn't show the complete crate with all the stencilling as the owner didn't wish to see copies of it produced and so de-valuing his unique item.

so I agreed to the request in the hope that members would enjoy seeing this rare 1919 dated crate of chocolate rations.

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 12 August 2012

General Apathy

post-344-1344802312.jpg

post-344-1344802329.jpg post-344-1344802348.jpg

Normandy then & now .......................

In the large WWII color photo of la Haye du Puits shown above in post # 5219, the head and shoulders of a WWI French soldier can be seen on top of the stone plinth of the WWI memorial. During the reconstruction of the town at the end of the war the WWI memorial was removed from the town centre, the soldiers head and upper torso were retained and used in a larger memorial to the towns military and civilian dead of WWI & WWII.

This post war monument is on the outskirts of the town in the direction of Cherbourg

ken

post-344-1344801082.jpg

well I was faced with a dilemma here, agree to the owners request or don't take the photo's to show forum members ...................

the agreement was that I didn't show the complete crate with all the stencilling as the owner didn't wish to see copies of it produced and so de-valuing his unique item.

so I agreed to the request in the hope that members would enjoy seeing this rare 1919 dated crate of chocolate rations.

ken

how does it taste? :pinch:

General Apathy
how does it taste? :pinch:

Hi Robert, I'll send you a bar, if you live let us know :w00t:

ken

Ken is the master of then and now photos! Fabulous!!

Never has a truer statement been made! :thumbsup:

Ken,

I love the posters of the women. I have seen the Cadet Nurse poster but not the other one. Thanks so much for posting them and the "Then and Now" pictures!

....Kat

Never has a truer statement been made! :thumbsup:

Ken,

I love the posters of the women. I have seen the Cadet Nurse poster but not the other one. Thanks so much for posting them and the "Then and Now" pictures!

....Kat

Hi Kat, do you really look like the Cadet Nurse on the left, like Jack's Son stated? :)

Heck no! JS is old and 1/2 blind! :lol:

I'm really sorry to hear that. That you supposedly don't look like that, and that Jack's Son is old and 1/2 blind, I didn't realize. :(

post-344-1344801082.jpg

ken

And knowing the Army, it was probably issued in 1945! :lol:

Ken, please thank your neighbor for me, that is really nice that they allowed photos to be shared. Also thank you for taking photos of this chocolate crate for us. It was really "sweet" of you!

General Apathy
And knowing the Army, it was probably issued in 1945! :lol:

Ken, please thank your neighbor for me, that is really nice that they allowed photos to be shared. Also thank you for taking photos of this chocolate crate for us. It was really "sweet" of you!

Hi Beast. thanks :lol: :thumbsup:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 13 August 2012

General Apathy

post-344-1344861126.jpg

79th Division units la Haye du Puits memorial .........................

The memorial to the U.S. 79th Division is just across the road from the memorial to the towns civil and military citizens who died in WW1 & WWII, shown above in post #5227

sadly although this is a beautiful memorial to see first hand, it is still difficult to read the inscriptions engraved in gold on the stone, and it's impossible to capture an image of the engravings.

Engraved on the main column it states

79th Division

Bloody Hill - July 1944

Normandy

Northern France

Ardennes - Alsace

Rhineland

Central Europe

Killed 2.476

Wounded 10.971

Missing 1.699

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1344861316.jpg

79th Division units la Haye du Puits memorial .........................

sadly although this is a beautiful memorial to see first hand, it is still difficult to read the inscriptions engraved in gold on the stone, and it's almost impossible to capture a decent image of the engravings.

Side plaque #1

313 Infantry Regiment

314 Infantry Regiment

315 Infantry Regiment

304 Engineer Combat Battalion

304 Medical Battalion

79 Reconnaissance Troop mechanised

79 Signal Company

79 Quartermaster Company

79 Ordnance Light Maintenance

79 Infantry Division Headquarters Company

Division Artillery

Headquarters Battalion

side plaque #2

310 Field Artillery Battalion

311 Field Artillery Battalion

312 Field Artillery Battalion

904 Field Artillery Battalion

749 Tank destroyer Battalion

463 Anti-Aircraft-Artillery

Automatic Weapons Battalion

79 Counter Intelligence Corp Detachment

Photo Interpreter Team 39

Prisoner of War Interrogation Teams 50 & 55

Military Intelligence Interpretation Team 434

Order of Battle Team

ken

Ken,

Wonderful monuments! Items like this show the many sacrifices of war. The memorial across the street for the citizens killed during the wars shows the true price of war. WWII was not fought on U.S. soil so we don't always think about the devastation that occurred to these people's homeland.

....Kat

General Apathy

post-344-1344972058.jpg post-344-1344972036.jpg

post-344-1344972101.jpg post-344-1344972080.jpg

Ken,

Wonderful monuments! Items like this show the many sacrifices of war. The memorial across the street for the citizens killed during the wars shows the true price of war.

WWII was not fought on U.S. soil so we don't always think about the devastation that occurred to these people's homeland.

....Kat

Hi Kat, these memorials lay bare the death and waste of human life that was given to ensure a free Europe in the years of war 1939 - 1945.

I am also pleased that you raised the point about the true cost of war and the devastation that people endured, I am not going to name the towns in the photographs above but simply state that these photo's are indicative of many Cities, towns and villages throughout the whole of Europe during WWII

ken

General Apathy
Find after WWI or WWII? :w00t: :blink: :think:

Best regards :)

Gregory

Hi Gregory, not after WWI, and not even after WWII, but found after June 2012. :lol::lol:

ken

Hi Gregory, not after WWI, and not even after WWII, but found after June 2012. :lol::lol:

Ah ha! :lol::lol::lol:

With ("new old stock" fresh) content? :w00t: :lol:

G. :)

I'm really sorry to hear that. That you supposedly don't look like that, and that Jack's Son is old and 1/2 blind, I didn't realize. :(

Ya give a broad a compliment, and she treats you like this.. :pinch:

OKAY Kat.....so you look like the one on the right.........FEEL BETTER?? :P

craig_pickrall

So the old and 1/2 blind wasn't enough for you. Now you will get it right between the eyes. Hope it doesn't hurt your good eye.

Re Ken's comments above about the devastation suffered by European cities in WW2, apart from a few Japanese "fire balloons" which came down in Washington State, the United States, by virtue of its geographical position, was mercifully spared such devastation (though the Germans actually had plans to attack NYC with a long-range bomber they were developing) It wasn't really until 9/11 that America experienced such horror.

Re Ken's comments above about the devastation suffered by European cities in WW2, apart from a few Japanese "fire balloons" which came down in Washington State, the United States, by virtue of its geographical position, was mercifully spared such devastation (though the Germans actually had plans to attack NYC with a long-range bomber they were developing) It wasn't really until 9/11 that America experienced such horror.

Ian, I think these are the Japanese Fugo Bombing Balloons you're talking about, not in Washington State, but in Oregon, almost buddy, Washington State, along with Idaho used to be a part of Oregon Territory, but all good school teachers know that. ;)

The public announcement was finally made due to a tragic event that occurred on May 5, 1945. A woman and five children, on a church picnic, were killed in a remote area near Bly, Oregon, after they discovered a downed balloon with a bomb still attached, and one of them moved the bomb, causing it to explode. http://www.stelzriede.com/ms/html/mshwfugo.htm

@ Hey Jack's Son, of course it's all in fun, that's what I like most about Ken's "Norman D. Landing", a good laugh now & then! :thumbsup:

hbtcoveralls

Ian, It should be remembered that the American Civil War (1861 to 1865) is considered by many to be the first truly modern war fought not only soldier to soldier but also by soldiers against the infrastructure and population as well. The contemporary images of burned and bombed cities all across the south especially, are very similar to the photos of devastation of WWI and WWII Europe. And when considered against the sparse population in north America in the 1860s it puts in perspective the degree of devastation. In many ways the areas destroyed are still recovering. 911 was indeed terrible but it is not the first time our nation has faced shot and shell and destruction, just the first time recently. Certainly we avoided being devastated due to the fortune of having great oceans and Hitler's timely demise, and for that we are glad.

Tom Bowers