Norman D. Landing

bilko1

Hi Pat, Porsche might have been a so-so engineer but he certainly wasn't a great designer, that has to be one of the ugliest vehicles I have ever encountered even for a tractor.

secondly it has been a while since you posted to the topic and then you drop in some far fetched story about the meaning of the name Ken, well your name is so much simpler to detail the meaning of as it relates to the connection between hands and dogs :- Pat the dog :lol::lol::lol:

Anyway Pat good to hear from you again ;) :thumbsup: , you managed to get forum member ' Beast ' laughing unless his spelling of hysterically was intended to read ' historically '.

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 7 August 2012

Hi Ken, you think the story about your name is far fetched? I thought it was true. :think: And "Pat the dog"? You mean as in petting? :lol:

I haven't posted anything for awhile, work gets in the way and then the weather Gods have been pretty good to me lately.

So you don't like Porsche tractors, here's a nice old Sawyer Massey steam tractor, you don't have to worry about gas prices. :thumbsup:

sawyermasseysteamtracto.jpg

Hi Beast, don't encourage him pleaazze :huh:^_^

ken

"Sorry Super."*

*Obscure Monty Python reference

General Apathy
Hi Ken, here's a nice old Sawyer Massey steam tractor, you don't have to worry about gas prices. :thumbsup:

sawyermasseysteamtracto.jpg

Hi Pat, well so far there is no extortionate tax on water, that is until the gasoline runs out and we all end up using steam power once again, then the taxes on water will come in. :dunno: :lol::lol:

ken

General Apathy
"Sorry Super."*

*Obscure Monty Python reference

Hi Beast, well you went and did it, you invoked the Monty Python's oh dear wonder what that will unlease now. :unsure: :think:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 8 August 2012

General Apathy

post-344-1344459830.jpg

From the shoebox .............

I intended to add a few photo's of items from the shoebox this evening however there are about ten to process and resize but having been buzy today didn't have time once again, so I have just one image to add this evening............

At the weekend I was given the items shown above as they were duplicates amongst a friends collection, I often pass on my duplicates in the opposite direction. The toothbrush is a DuPont ( reg. ) Park-Avenue, bristled with nylon. The small bottle with the black rubber stopper is marked Neutraglass, N-51A, USA. The larger bottle is marked on the bottom T.C.W. Co. S 21 4, USA. and on the neck of the bottle it has two lines marked 50Mils & 60Mils. The long thin tube is unmarked, with two small red rubber seals one either end and still retains the contents ( presently unknown ).

ken

The toothbrush is a DuPont ( reg. ) Park-Avenue, bristled with nylon.

That is Bubba's toothbrush! He only has to brush every other tooth! :lol:;)

...Kat

General Apathy
That is Bubba's toothbrush! He only has to brush every other tooth! :lol:;)

...Kat

Hi Kat, :lol:;)

ken

General Apathy

Good Morning everyone, another milestone ........................ :lol:

Overnight we reached 565.000 hits on 5.180 posts which gives an average of 11.000 hits per post, quite an achievement by you all. :thumbsup:

Many thanks ;)

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 9 August 2012

All thanks to YOU for keeping this topic interesting, Ken!

:bravo:

Erwin

Definitely a big thanks to Ken! He shows the most unique items! No one else has a shoebox like him! :w00t:

And you KNOW the "before and after" pictures are my favorite! ;) :thumbsup:

...Kat

General Apathy
All thanks to YOU for keeping this topic interesting, Ken!

:bravo:

Erwin

Hi Erwin, many thanks and I hope it remains interesting. ;)

ken

General Apathy
Definitely a big thanks to Ken! He shows the most unique items! No one else has a shoebox like him! :w00t:

And you KNOW the "before and after" pictures are my favorite! ;) :thumbsup:

...Kat

Hi Kat, as always thanks for your support. ;)

I hope to get out early this coming Sunday morning and drive over to a fairly local town to take comparison shots, I need to be early to see if I can get the shots before people start parking too many cars in the town square.

It's thanks to forum member ' Gunbarrel ' for the two photo's he sent onto me asking if I knew of the location to get the comparisons.

ken

Way to go Ken, thanks for letting me come in here now and then and disturb things. ;)

Too funny! I think one of the things I like the most about this thread is all of the friends I have met

thru this thread. We all seem to enjoy the the same thing. We get more excited about seeing the

wonderful sights and unusual "shoebox" items rather than seeing another helmet or gun or knife.

I am not knocking people who love to look at helmets or guns or knives. ;)

I am just saying that this is a fresh thread to just come in and chat about anything. :thumbsup:

...Kat

General Apathy
This is an amazing run.......but then, you're an amazing fellow! :thumbsup:

Hi JS, way too generous with your compliment, but pleased that you consider the posts fun, thanks :lol:;)

ken

General Apathy
Way to go Ken, thanks for letting me come in here now and then and disturb things. ;)

applausezj.gif

Pat, I have to say that when you post images like the one above then you are more than welcome to join in, I think it's amused Kat judging by the last post she just added. :thumbsup: ;)

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1344540030.jpg post-344-1344539645.jpg

From the shoebox ............. ( part I )

having seen another topic posted on the forum a few days ago by another member regarding Hawkins mines then I thought I would slip mine out the shoebox to add here, and possibly to the other members topic afterwards.

Seen embossed into the front of this can ' No 75, I, S.O.T.B. 43 ' this translates as Grenade Model 75, Mk I, Self Opening Tin Box Company, 1943. A coat of brick red paint has been roughly painted over the earlier yellow with green stripe markings which designated the filling used in this particular canister.

I have owned this Hawkins grenade for approximately 30-35 years I believe it came from military museum stock,

these Mk I's were made in the UK, and they were adopted by the U.S. forces to fill a gap in American grenade capabilities and can be seen in various photographs of Airborne troops for D-Day.

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1344540530.jpg

post-344-1344540546.jpg

From the shoebox ............. ( part II )

Shown in these two photos are the top of the canister with the screw cap again embossed with S.O.T.B. , the overpainted green stripe can be seen across the top of the can and cap, and also across the underneath of the can

ken

Hey Ken,

Thats a Very Nice looking Example of the No:75 Hawkins Mine you have got there i like it

as seen in use by many Paratroopers with them in Normandy straped to the bottom of the leg :thumbsup:

I seen one of those in Europe this year for sale with an asking price of :w00t: €1,000.00 Euros = $1,230.00 Dollars

i think you also know where i saw it Ken ;) i wont say any more....

Regards

Tomás.

craig_pickrall

applausezj.gif

Is that Ken and his date on the front row to the right (wearing glasses)?

General Apathy
Hey Ken,

Thats a Very Nice looking Example of the No:75 Hawkins Mine you have got there I like it

as seen in use by many Paratroopers with them in Normandy straped to the bottom of the leg :thumbsup:

I seen one of those in Europe this year for sale with an asking price of :w00t: €1,000.00 Euros = $1,230.00 Dollars

I think you also know where I saw it Ken ;) I wont say any more....

Regards

Tomás.

Hi Tomas, thanks for the comment on the Hawkins and the price you saw it being sold at, as you say I can guess where, as a nods as good as a wink ( Monty Python ) ;)

Should buy me a couple of tanks of gas then, if I need to sell it. :lol::lol:

ken

General Apathy
Is that Ken and his date on the front row to the right (wearing glasses)?

applausezj.gif

Hi Craig, as I am currently wearing a full beard with white hair around the chin area then I look more like the chappie with the beard three rows back, the one with the blonde one side and the brunette the other side ?? :lol::lol:

ken

as I am currently wearing a full beard with white hair around the chin area then I look more like the chappie with the beard three rows back, the one with the blonde one side and the brunette the other side

Yep! That guy is more like you! :lol:

That No 75 Hawkins grenade is very interesting. Do you mind explaining to me how they were used during the war?

Exactly what are they?

Thanks, Kat

craig_pickrall

I see Ken, I didn't realize it had gotten so bad that you needed two nurses now. One to push the wheelchair and one to carry the medicine bag.