Norman D. Landing

bilko1

Good pic Ken. Did you notice the corner of the British/ Commonwealth cemetery where there are a few rows of German graves? Different headstones.

The attached photo shows the British cemetery and the use of flowers amongst the grave stones.

Ken,

The cemetery is interesting. The grave stones look different. What is the difference between the headstones?

....Kat

The headstones have the regimental crest or badge on them (like Royal Artillery or King's Own Scottisch Borderers, etc).

Erwin

Ken,

The cemetery is interesting. The grave stones look different. What is the difference between the headstones?

....Kat

Kat...British military headstones always bear the regimental or BOS insignia of the fallen soldier, sailor or airman...and, at the bottom, perhaps a short dedication chosen by the family.

Ian

General Apathy

post-344-1343289292.jpg

Ken,

....Kat

Hi Kat, Erwin and Ian have explained that each British headstone bears the regimental crest of the unit the soldier fought for. The British use a flat square tablet of Portland stone with a slightly curved top. The one shown above is a British soldier of the Jewish faith, this headstone shows ' Private N. Brooks 19, Queens Royal Regiment, 3 August 1944 ' as Ian mentions the family were each allowed their own small dedication at the base of the stone, in this case it reads ' Rest in peace, mourned by father mother brothers sisters and relatives '.

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 25 July 2012

General Apathy

post-344-1343290121.jpg

Ken,

....Kat

Hi Kat, here are two British headstones placed side by side as the two men both died in the same armored vehicle explosion. Serjeant R.G. Cotterall 29 and Trooper H. Richardson 36, 23rd Hussars Royal Armored Corp, 2nd August 1944. At the base of H. Richardsons stone the family requested ' Time passes we do not forget, in memory you are with us yet '

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 25 July 2012

There is also a somber reason why the headstones are placed without space between them.

You see this often with aircrews who got KIA.

Too somber to tell.

Erwin

General Apathy

post-344-1343302138.jpg

There is also a somber reason why the headstones are placed without space between them.

You see this often with aircrews who got KIA.

Too somber to tell.

Erwin

Hi Erwin, thanks for mentioning air-crews, here are two stones with five air-crew mentioned all deceased same aircraft 10th June 1944.

B.E. Bell, RAF, 24, Pilot

H.D. Clark, RAF, 28, Air-gunner

J. Holden, RAF, 21, Wireless / Air-gunner

D. Macfadyen, 28, Royal Australian Air Force, Flying Officer

J.J. Reed, ?, RAF, Air-gunner

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 26 July 2012

General Apathy

post-344-1343593589.jpg

Ken,

....Kat

Hi Kat, here are headstones for two members of the Polish Forces, again note the different shape of the headstones.

B. Sidoruk, 21st August 1944, aged 22

Z.T. Kubas, 22nd August 1944, aged 27

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 29 July 2012

General Apathy

post-344-1343593787.jpg

Ken,

....Kat

Hi Kat, here are headstones for two members of the Czech Army, again note the different shape of the headstones.

Alois Hanus, 2 September, aged 25

Curt Steiner, 2 september, aged 22

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1343594194.jpg

Ken,

....Kat

Hi Kat, here are headstones for two members of the Soviet Forces, again note the stepped edge shape of the headstones.

I.S. Kow Vasily, 24 April 1945

Karesayev Khashi, 28 April 1945.

No ages are shown for the Soviet Soldiers, sadly I ran out of space on my camera disc to capture any more of the other headstones, there are several hundred German soldiers buried in this cemetery the headstones only record name, date of birth and date of death, no branch of service are displayed.

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1343595595.jpg

St Marie du Mont street flea market 28th July 2012 ..........................

I heard news of this flea market a few days before it occurred otherwise it would have slipped past me. There were about 130 trade stands with a heavy percentage of militaria sellers mainly non-professionals. A great selection of militaria and knick knacks of all sorts being sold.

Here was the first of my purchases two WWI French F-1 grenades, the one on the left is unpainted and has large initials ' B D ' molded to the segments on one side. The second grenade on the right is unmarked but has light touches of the original pale blue paint in the valley's of the segments and the entire inside cavity.

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1343595903.jpg

A great selection of militaria and knick knacks of all sorts being sold. Here is the best of four beer bottles that I found on one of the stands, it has molding details in the base ' Duraglas 43 '.

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1343596227.jpg

A great selection of militaria and knick knacks of all sorts being sold. Here is a German manufactured water-can, uncertain of the date of manufacture but this thing is built like a tank in weight and construction, the intention was to offer it to a friend in the UK who has a German tank however it has already found a home and looks good here at the house.

ken

General Apathy
the way it sounds they are still digging up and finding a lot. lots of barn finds? robert

Hi Robert, yup still loads of stuff comes out the woodwork here, wish I could have taken photo's of each and every stand and the items for sale on each, but I would get nothing done if I stood and did that.

In hind-sight I wish I wish I had taken a shot of one of the items I saw, it was a British made waterproof survival suit still sealed in it's sealed waterproof cover with a wooden toggle pull cord to open the container, it was about the dimensions of twenty stacked diinner plates. Never seen one before as I recall, no branch of service mentioned on the attached label.

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1343599789.jpg

Currently living Medal of Honor winners ..............

We are all probably aware of the increasing rate at which we are losing service veterans, I also picked up on a report a few days ago that currently there are only 81 living Medal of Honor winners.

12 recipients earned their Medals of Honor in World War II, 12 in the Korean War, 54 in the Vietnam War, and three in the War in Afghanistan.

I consider myself lucky to have attended the 1989 MOH convention in Albuquerque as a guest of Ernest Childers MOH winner Italy September 1943. There were probably more than 100 winners at the convention I obtained 73 signatures sadly many of these have passed on since then.

:salute:

ken

post-344-1343593589.jpg

Hi Kat, here are headstones for two members of the Polish Forces, again note the different shape of the headstones.

B. Sidoruk, 21st August 1944, aged 22

Z.T. Kubas, 22nd August 1944, aged 27

ken

Both of them killed during closing the Falaise Gap -- aka (for our US friends) Argentan Gap -- when served in the Polish 1st Armoured Division. The Gap was closed at Chambois commonly by the Polish 1st AD and the US 90th ID.

Best regards

Gregory

sadly I ran out of space on my camera disc to capture any more of the other headstones

Ken,

You are too nice to post these pictures! I saw them the other day and meant to come back to thank you! I am so sorry that my old mind forgot to come back to the thread. Thank you so much for taking the time to post these. It is very interesting seeing all of the different headstones.

You always show us some amazing sites!

....Kat

General Apathy
Both of them killed during closing the Falaise Gap -- aka (for our US friends) Argentan Gap -- when served in the Polish 1st Armoured Division. The Gap was closed at Chambois commonly by the Polish 1st AD and the US 90th ID.

Best regards

Gregory

Hi Gregory, thanks for coming in with further information on your two fellow countrymen.

ken ;)

General Apathy
Ken,

You are too nice to post these pictures! I saw them the other day and meant to come back to thank you! I am so sorry that my old mind forgot to come back to the thread. Thank you so much for taking the time to post these. It is very interesting seeing all of the different headstones.

You always show us some amazing sites!

....Kat

Hi Kat, as always thanks for your encouraging words, and it's always nice to hear from you and pleased that what I post has some interest. :lol:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 30 July 2012

Hi Kat, as always thanks for your encouraging words, and it's always nice to hear from you and pleased that what I post has some interest. :lol:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 30 July 2012

everything you post is of interest. Keep encouraging him Kat ;) robert

General Apathy

post-344-1343849334.jpg

everything you post is of interest. Keep encouraging him Kat ;) robert

Ha-Ha Robert, just maybe not everything I post is interesting such as the attached photo above. :w00t: :lol:

Last Saturday night a bunch of us went American ten-pin bowling over at Cherbourg followed by a buffet style Chinese eat all you can blowout meal.

I was inspired by our very own forum member ' Jack's Son ' who always wears colourful Hawaiian or bar shirts, so I dug down into the box of 60's style bowling shirts and dressed everyone up for the evening in the heights of American sartorial taste, this is the shirt and tie I wore. ;)

Sad to say that the shirts raised the images of ourselves in the eyes of a group of French teenagers as being ' professional bowlers ', luckily for me first ball down was a strike, followed by a friend who succeeded in putting his two balls into the ditch either side of the lane, and the teenagers soon lost interest in watching us illusions shattered.............

Still a fun evening and a few sarsaparilla's enjoyed, followed by a lengthy evening at the Chinese buffet.

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 1 August 2012

just maybe not everything I post is interesting such as the attached photo above. :w00t: :lol:

Last Saturday night a bunch of us went American ten-pin bowling over at Cherbourg followed by a buffet style Chinese eat all you can blowout meal.

Oh...This picture rates up there at the top of the list of great posts! Don't sell yourself short!

Were you hungry again an hour after eating the all you can eat meal? :lol:

....Kat