Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy
Michael Jackson would be jealous!! On the other hand.......he would have nothing!! :lol:

Ho Ho Ho I have to hand that one to you JS, very witty :blink::lol:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 30 June 2012

craig_pickrall

Great looking gloves, Ken. Are there any labels or other markings in them?

General Apathy
Great looking gloves, Ken. Are there any labels or other markings in them?

Hi Craig, the images of the gloves were from my photo files, stupidly I didn't photograph the printed details in the cuffs of the gloves, you know sometimes your running short of time and don't manage to do it all. Sadly all the details in all three were like the day they were stamped.

too many things too little time. :blink:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 1 July 2012, summer arrived this week :lol:

RustyCanteen

Ken, nice gloves!

Myself and others would like to see the details of the markings should you ever pull your shoe box out again.

RC

This is my second attempt to post an answer, for some reason it kicked me out and made me log in all over again.

General Apathy
Ken, nice gloves!

Myself and others would like to see the details of the markings should you ever pull your shoe box out again.

RC

This is my second attempt to post an answer, for some reason it kicked me out and made me log in all over again.

Hi RC, well no resonable offer would be refused for the ' shoebox ' , the house, garden, vehicles, wine cav'e, Jeep in the barn and the address in Normandy, I need the cash I hear that there could be a large house in Washington that might become vacant in November. :lol::lol::lol:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 2 July 2012

Hi RC, well no resonable offer would be refused for the ' shoebox ' , the house, garden, vehicles, wine cav'e, Jeep in the barn and the address in Normandy, I need the cash I hear that there could be a large house in Washington that might become vacant in November. :lol::lol::lol:

ken

Now, now Kenneth...you know this forum is apolitical!! :lol:

General Apathy
Now, now Kenneth...you know this forum is apolitical!! :lol:

Hi Ian, knowing how few people read this topic or even add comment then I thought I might have slipped that one through unnoticed. :lol::lol: :laughing1:

ken

Hi Ian, knowing how few people read this topic or even add comment then I thought I might have slipped that one through unnoticed. :lol::lol: :laughing1:

ken

Ooooo...you are awwful!! :w00t:

Correct Ian.......A political Forum.....right?? :unsure:

Errrr....no, not really JS...unless you want to get us shut down!! :lol:

Ken,

Only you would have 3 pairs of mint gloves ID'd with the same laundry mark! :lol:

Your shoebox is AMAZING!

....Kat

General Apathy
Ken,

Only you would have 3 pairs of mint gloves ID'd with the same laundry mark! :lol:

Your shoebox is AMAZING!

....Kat

Hi Kat, thanks for your complimentary thoughts on the gloves, it is fun now and then to share items with the forum.

Also I think I see many things on this forum posted by other members that I certainly don't have a copy of, and there are many things I confess that I have never even seen before.

ken

and there are many things I confess that I have never even seen before.

I did not think this was possible! :think:

You are one of my friends on here that I call my walking dictionary on militaria!

You are the one that provides visual aid along with your tutorial! :lol:

...Kat

Lewis and others are the reason I log into this Forum daily. And I can call him a gentleman and close friend. (you too Ian) Robert

Jack's Son
Lewis and others are the reason I log into this Forum daily. And I can call him a gentleman and close friend. (you too Ian) Robert

All the rest of you are nameless chopped liver!! :w00t:

Hi Erick, would be nice if you could get a shot of your ' mail-disc ' records and show them here, could be something not seen before for some forum members. ;) :thumbsup:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 30 June 2012

Your wish is my command sahib!

These "VOICE-O-GRAPHS" provided soldiers with a way to send a recorded message back to their loved ones. As I mentioned before, the records feel like coated cardboard and are played on a 78. Here is part of an entry from Wikipedia:

"In the past (approximately from the 1940s through the 1970s), there were booths called Voice-O-Graphs, that let the user record their own voice onto a record when money was inserted. These were often found at arcades and tourist attractions alongside other vending and game machines. The Empire State Building's 86th floor observatory in New York City, Coney Island, NY and Conneaut Lake Park, PA are some of the locations which had such machines. Gem Razors also created thousands of free Voice-O-Graph records during wartime for the troops to send home to their families."

This "VOICE-O-GRAPH" came from a veteran's grouping that I own. I was able to copy the record onto my hard drive using the turn table that I mentioned earlier. I have copies of many of this same vet's letters home, but these records really pick up his sense of humor.

post-203-1341273280.jpg

Thank you Robert...that's very nice of you to include me in that...much appreciated! This thread is a kind of communal "watering hole". Those of us who frequent it daily can indulge in a bit of light-hearted banter whilst at the same time not losing sight of its true historical focus, under Ken's capable stewardship! Long may it continue to be so!

Ian :thumbsup:

General Apathy
I did not think this was possible! :think:

You are one of my friends on here that I call my walking dictionary on militaria!

You are the one that provides visual aid along with your tutorial! :lol:

...Kat

Hi Kat, really don't know how to answer this, only to say that it's not the over-riding passion in my life that it was thirty years ago. These days I just toot along with my interest in the hobby and it's been a long time since I added items to my collection.

This ' Normandy reports ' topic is probably best described as Ian describes it a ' water-hole ' where forum members can dip in and out without it being too hard core in detail, and it twists and turns around the edges of militaria collecting. ;)

And flipping your comment seen above, it's the friends like you ;) and others :lol: posting and adding comment that encourages me to continue running these Normandy reports. :thumbsup:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 4 July 2012

General Apathy

Hi Robert, well I have to say many thanks for the description of me that you have added above, hopefully there can be no better desire in life than to be considered a gentleman and a friend by a fellow friend. ^_^-_-

ken

General Apathy
All the rest of you are nameless chopped liver!! :w00t:

Hi JS, I think you need a little more love in your life :hug: :lol: :bye1:

Enjoy your fishing trip :thumbsup:

ken

General Apathy
Your wish is my command sahib!

These "VOICE-O-GRAPHS" provided soldiers with a way to send a recorded message back to their loved ones. As I mentioned before, the records feel like coated cardboard and are played on a 78.

post-203-1341273280.jpg

Hi Erick, thanks for adding some great photographs of the self recorded disc's that servicemen could use. love the Gem ones with all the imagery on them, I have a few other discs that are the disc with a plain central label for writing on.

ken

Ken...next time you trawl the brocantes you need to look out for a vintage phonograph so's you can listen to these discs!

General Apathy
Thank you Robert...that's very nice of you to include me in that...much appreciated! This thread is a kind of communal "watering hole". Those of us who frequent it daily can indulge in a bit of light-hearted banter whilst at the same time not losing sight of its true historical focus, under Ken's capable stewardship! Long may it continue to be so!

Ian :thumbsup:

thanks Ian. :thumbsup: ;)

ken