Norman D. Landing

bilko1

Gentlemen of the forum...how many of you dig up genuine D-Day period artefacts in your back yards? Surely the items that Ken finds and then subsequently posts for our interest and enlightenment are worthy of some kind of comment or recognition!!? :dunno:

General Apathy
It beats having an M18 TD road wheel in the living room, I guess. :rolleyes:-_-

Erwin

Hi Erwin, well first off congratulations on being post number # 5000 :lol:;)

So it would be nice to see your M18 wheel in the living room, please post it here if you would like. :thumbsup:

thanks

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 29 June 2012

General Apathy
Hi Ken, it must be nice to live in the middle of history, I remember in Normandy last year, a lot of people selling dug up relics, and not cheap either, What are you gowing to do with your barbed wire posts, grow tomatoes? :think:

Hi Pat, haven't made a decision on what to do with the German stakes yet, I would like to have them on display in some way, perhaps I could set them up across the road and charge a toll for passing into and out of the village. :think: :lol:

ken

General Apathy
Folks commonly lean an old spoked wagon-wheel against their back-yard wall for its decorative qualities and to imbue a sense of period character etc. Not our Ken...oh no. He uses a roadwheel off a Panther tank!! (True!) :lol:

Hi Ian, the Panther wheel was a village find the first month of living here, it appears in the first few pages of these Normandy reports which started back when I moved here.

ken

Hi Ian, the Panther wheel was a village find the first month of living here, it appears in the first few pages of these Normandy reports which started back when I moved here.

ken

Ah...right. That post pre-dates my forum membership. I'll need to skip back 251 pages!! :w00t:

General Apathy
Ah...right. That post pre-dates my forum membership. I'll need to skip back 251 pages!! :w00t:

Hi Ian, the Panther wheel is actually post # 20 on the very first page. :lol::lol:

ken

Hi Ian, the Panther wheel is actually post # 20 on the very first page. :lol::lol:

ken

Thanks for the reminder Ken! To see the places you "rediscover" through your then and now photos and the items that you unearth is always amazing!!!

Did you buy the house with the "stairway to heaven" or was that one that you were considering? If you bout that house, which if IIRC was built in the 1750s, have you looked for the old privey? Might be some good relics buried there.

General Apathy

post-344-1340968978.jpg

Thanks for the reminder Ken! To see the places you "rediscover" through your then and now photos and the items that you unearth is always amazing!!!

Did you buy the house with the "stairway to heaven" or was that one that you were considering? If you bout that house, which if IIRC was built in the 1750s, have you looked for the old privey? Might be some good relics buried there.

Hi Erick, yes I did buy the old farmhouse with the tower, due to the stone steps and how slippy they are from a couple of hundred years of wear then I used to have an overnight light on all night in case of nightime emergencies or especially when friends or family visited and the steps being unfamiliar to them.

However I have just reduced my electricity bill by at least five Euros a month by converting to four garden solar powered lamps, they last twelve hours through the night and switch off automatically once it's light enough again in the tower, put them outdoors during the day and ready to go again next night, 60 Euros a year saving. :lol::lol:

Also they have the appearance of medieval torches and with four of them the entire tower is bright with light.

ken

I can personally vouch for the fact that they are very effective...and look good too! I expected Errol Flynn dressed in tights and armed with a rapier to appear around the corner any minute! :lol:

General Apathy

post-344-1340973279.jpg

I can personally vouch for the fact that they are very effective...and look good too! I expected Errol Flynn dressed in tights and armed with a rapier to appear around the corner any minute! :lol:

Oh dear, be careful what you wish for Ian. :huh::blush::lol::lol:

I just found him in the ' shoebox ' I suspect everyone wondered what happened to him after his Hollywood days. ^_^

ken

General Apathy
"Touché!" :thumbsup: :lol:

Actually Ian, that would be Touche-Ross my accountants when I was in business :lol::lol:

ken

Actually Ian, that would be Touche-Ross my accountants when I was in business :lol::lol:

ken

I wouldn't Touche-Ross with a ten foot barge-pole Ken!! :lol:

General Apathy
I wouldn't Touche-Ross with a ten foot barge-pole Ken!! :lol:

Ian, I bet Ross wouldn't want you to either :lol::lol:-_-

ken

Gentlemen of the forum...how many of you dig up genuine D-Day period artefacts in your back yards? Surely the items that Ken finds and then subsequently posts for our interest and enlightenment are worthy of some kind of comment or recognition!!? :dunno:

I think a lot are overwhelmed with his finds and jealous of where he lives and the life of Riley he lives. (an American term) My comments go to him by E-Mails ;)

Also they have the appearance of medieval torches and with four of them the entire tower is bright with light.

Between this and your dug up finds, you live in the coolest place! I would LOVE to see your house in person. It sounds great!

....Kat

General Apathy
My wife wants to know if you have Merlin in your dungeon

Hi Robert, let your wife know that actually I loaned Merlin to another guy over here a few villages away for use in his Spitfire after he did a wheels up landing a couple of years back due to hydraulics failure. :lol::lol:

ken

I think a lot are overwhelmed with his finds and jealous of where he lives and the life of Riley he lives. (an American term) My comments go to him by E-Mails ;)

Robert...can you imagine the reaction he'd get were he to dig up an M1 helmet shell?!

General Apathy

Robert, the poor old Euro is not doing well presently so any cash whip-rounds that you could organise to enable me to live ' this life of Riley ' would be very much appreciated. ^_^

and thanks as always for your comments by email, enjoy the contents. :D

ken

Between this and your dug up finds, you live in the coolest place! I would LOVE to see your house in person. It sounds great!

....Kat

"Chateau Lewis"....monarch of all he surveys! ;)

post-8022-1340978311.jpg

General Apathy

....Kat

Hi Kat, I always try to meet up with any rich Americans :unsure: oops sorry I meant forum members ;) who come over, sadly I just had to let one member know that I wouldn't be here on the dates that he is touring later this year, I have previous family arrangements.

You will have to let me know when you get round to making it here one day. :lol: don't delay as Craig Pickrall will tell you I am getting older you know. :bye1:

ken

Robert, I can't agree with you enough. To most collectors, a find similar to what Ken digs Daliy, would be a life's treasure. But since they cannot do the same, they sneer at how easy it is to find such things, and that anyone could do it!

ACTUALLY.....I'm MOST IMPRESSED THAT KEN STILL ENJOYS GOING IT!!! :lol:

Ken,

Do you still have that old Merlin block that has the long screwdriver embedded in it? What does it have enscribed on it again, something like......"Know Ye all, the man who pulls this screwdriver from this block....will be the new Chief Mechanic for the Rolls Royce Company". ?