Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy
The photo was taken "rue des Tribunaux", in front of the Cherbourg theater

Same place nowdays.

Dan.

Hi Pat, thanks first off for adding that photograph it was one that I had in my folder to find and photograph first before adding the comparisons to my reports. :lol:

Hi Dan, welcome and thank you for adding the comparison photo, saved me a day touring around Cherbourg to find and photograph the same street :lol:;) I do have other photographs of Cherbourg to make comparisons of but it certainly won't be for a while with so much to be done and happening here at home. :blink:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 18 June 2012

Hi Pat, your correct the boots are not original U.S. issue, I had several original pairs of U.S. ' paratroop ' boots in my collection which I didn't want to risk wearing, the boots in the photo were Dutch army boots at five dollars a pair, much cheaper to use and abuse.

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 17 June 2012

Hey Ken, I have the exact same boots, for the exact same reason. ;) My alter ego is wearing them now. :lol:

pict0029dd.jpg

Pat...are you ok? Looks like you've lost weight and you're deathly pale! ;)

Ian, it's not me, I don't look that young and tender anymore. :lol:

General Apathy
So.....what have I missed? :dunno:

JS, you missed cutting the lawn, cleaning the windows, removing the weeds, dusting the house, making the beds, adding the roof to the new BBQ shack and all those other chores. :blink:

It's a hard life at times. :crying:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 20 June 2012

JS, you missed cutting the lawn, cleaning the windows, removing the weeds, dusting the house, making the beds, adding the roof to the new BBQ shack and all those other chores. :blink:

ken

Sounds as though..........I HAVEN'T MISSED A THING!!! :lol:

craig_pickrall

ken

Ken,

I thought your butler and staff took care of these minor things. I can understand you supervising the BBQ shack however. That is important stuff.

Did you ever give a follow up report on the SAS night at he ranch? If so I missed it.

Are you all caught up and ready to get back on board with your reporter duties?

post-344-1237498179.jpg

Hi Forum Readers, here is a 1945 dated water bottle that I acquired somehow some years back. It was one I hung onto for a couple of reasons, one being the fact that a previous owner had engraved their name and address on there and unfortunately added a post code which of course was unknown of during WWII and so fairly unsaleable to a collector, reenactor or such. The other thing being the rather unusual address ' Higgledy - Piggledy ' farm.

Now for the real reason I hung onto it and it has served me well over the years, it's my hot water bottle, yes that's correct hot water bottle. :lol: This aluminum bottle sure beats the hell out of a rubberised version. Every evening through the winter I stand it on my wood burning stove and heat the water up, important, unscrewing and removing the cap first. Once the bottle is up to the temperature I want, I screw the cap back on and cover the bottle with an old sock, this prevents burning my feet in bed. This bottle is always still warm when I exit the bed in a morning, rubberised ones are cold well before that time.

I also use this bottle when camping outdoors during inclement and cold weather, boil a little hot water an hour before bedtime and fill the bottle, again cover with the sock then drop into the foot space of the sleeping bag and roll the bag back into a roll. Come bedtime virtually the whole bag is warm as it's been rolled around the bottle, and generally if it has been in your bag all night it might still be warm enough to shave with in the morning. :thumbsup:

Any fool can be cold and miserable, and hey if your camping with a female they generally appreciate the little time and trouble you took to warm their bag. ;):lol:

Cheers

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 18 2009.

General Apathy,

I was shocked when I saw this canteen. I pass through Landsale almost everyday to go to school. I believe the roads outside of the town were not named at one point thus the road one. Most of the farms are gone now, but I remember seeing an advertisement in a local junk store for a "higgledy- piggledy" farm. It sounds like a farm for kids to visit and there are two farms around here that are open for kids. They may have changed their name.

-Austin

Edit: the post is #519 on page 13

I hate it when real life gets in the way of collecting!

....Kat

It's tough Kat!!

Sometimes I even have to leave coffee EARLY!! :w00t:

Rakkasan187

Ken,

Can you do me a favor, check your mailbox.. I tried to send you a PM but your mailbox is full..

Leigh..

Rakkasan187
Hi Pat, your correct the boots are not original U.S. issue, I had several original pairs of U.S. ' paratroop ' boots in my collection which I didn't want to risk wearing, the boots in the photo were Dutch army boots at five dollars a pair, much cheaper to use and abuse.

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 17 June 2012

Thats a great shot Ken,

Leigh..

Ken,Can you do me a favor, check your mailbox.. I tried to send you a PM but your mailbox is full..

Leigh..

Leigh, he's standing right next to it! Looks empty to me. :rolleyes:

You retired people have it so rough! :rolleyes:

Tell us about it Kat! I don't know how I ever found the time to go to work!! ;)

General Apathy
Sounds as though..........I HAVEN'T MISSED A THING!!! :lol:

Hi JS, looks like your out of whack here with your statement above, surely it should read ' I haven't done a thing ' :lol::lol:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 21 June 2012

Hi JS, looks like your out of whack here with your statement above, surely it should read ' I haven't done a thing '

ken

And.....that's true too!

General Apathy
Ken,

I thought your butler and staff took care of these minor things. I can understand you supervising the BBQ shack however. That is important stuff.

Did you ever give a follow up report on the SAS night at he ranch? If so I missed it.

Are you all caught up and ready to get back on board with your reporter duties?

Hi Craig, well I see your playing for the laughs with your comment above about butler's and staff, I help pay for the Queen's butlers and staff so there's nothing left to be hiring my own staff. :crying:

The twenty SAS guy's both appeared and disappeared with the slightest of sound just as if they didn't exist, but a pretty decent evening was had by all until I tripped over one of them in his sleeping bag in the dark. Next morning before they left the guy I tripped over made the comment ' how come it was he that got kicked in the groin and remained silent, and it was me that that shouted an obscenity but was un-hurt ', there was much laughter at that comment. :pinch:

Sorry still not ready for normal reporting duties as of yet, way way way too much in the pipeline to be done, but the odd comment will be added here and there.................. ;)

ken

. :blink:

General Apathy
He's alive and well Craig....look! ;)

post-8022-1340221850.jpg

I'm leaning on a lamp-post at the corner of the street,

In case a certain little lady comes by.

Oh me, oh my, I hope the little lady comes by.

I don't know if she'll get away, She doesn't always get away,

But anyhow I know that she'll try.

Oh me, oh my, I hope the little lady comes by,

There's no other girl I would wait for, But this one I'd break any date for,

I won't have to ask what she's late for, She wouldn't have to leave me flat,

She's not a girl like that.

Oh, she's absolutely wonderful, and marvellous and beautiful, oh me oh my.

sung by George Formby, film & singing artist 1930's, WWII , 1950's

ken

General Apathy
Every year he spruces-up that doorway a bit more! :thumbsup:

Hi JS, a lick of new paint does wonders for the door each year, little can be done to spruce up the owner though :crying:

ken