Norman D. Landing

bilko1

USMC-RECON0321
Troy...did he retain that killer patched '41 jacket!? :o

Ian,

No that is long gone. But... I do have one of his jump jackets with the patch on it, he gave me years ago. The funny thing is, inside is written "Pvt Bahlau" and then he has his SSGT. stripes on the sleeves.

post-33000-1339536800.jpg

post-33000-1339536812.jpg

Last one.

They don't come any better than that! Great family heirloom to be passed down to future generations of Bahlaus :thumbsup:

General Apathy
Ken and Rick,

Thanks again!!!

Troy, it's a pleasure to have shown your grandfathers name and flag memorial I saw at St Marie du Mont, would love to know the story of how the four flags made it there.

Thanks for showing your grandfathers M-42 jump jacket it's in real nice condition and with the family.

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 12 June 2012

USMC-RECON0321
Troy, it's a pleasure to have shown your grandfathers name and flag memorial I saw at St Marie du Mont, would love to know the story of how the four flags made it there.

Thanks for showing your grandfathers M-42 jump jacket it's in real nice condition and with the family.

ken

Ken,

Thank you for your kind words sir. I have no idea about his flag and how it came to be there?? Ian and I have talked several times about my Grandfather and when he saw the post of his flag on your thread he directed me there / here. Anyway, I'm glad he did, because I hate to admit it but I've never seen your amazing 242 page thread!! I love it and will now be checking it day to day, it's like reading a book... Thank you for all your work on this.

As far as my Grandfather goes, I returned to Normandy with him in 2000, that was his first time back. What an experience that was!! He has since been back 3 more times and maybe that is how the flag posting came to be? Is there a story behind the flags being posted? Any idea who posted the flags? It's interesting that he is shown as 1st Sgt Bahlau because he ended up as a Lt. with a battle field commission, so that may be a clue also??

Attached is a picture of us in 2000 beside the grave of one of his men "Stan Stockens" I've heard many great stories about. Oh and I'm the younger one... :w00t:

Troy

post-33000-1339596231.jpg

Troy,

Great pictures of your Grandfather. That is wonderful that you were able to travel with him. I am sure nothing will replace your memories and great stories from him. Thanks for showing these pictures.

And this is by far my favorite thread on the forum. I read it every day! Glad you found it!

....Kat

Hey Pat, I hope you can supply the guy's with a few names here to match up to the faces. :rolleyes:

ken

Sorry Ken, that's a No-Go, I can't remember where I stole that photo. Seems to happen more often lately, maybe it was something the army put in the mashed potatoes back then, or was that the saltpeter? :think:

Found another ww-2 "powder room", looking for the trio in the slit trench. ;)

gardenofeden.jpg

2nd Lt. Liberty Sakryd (left) and fellow military nurses at the "Garden of Eden" women's latrine.

Pat...have you made an in-depth study of ladies' latrines? You worry me sometimes! ;)

Ian, not to worry old friend, they say it might heal with time. And no, I'm not really into latrines. :lol:

On top of that, Ken requested some info, which I could not provide, so I did the next best thing, I think. :unsure:

Ian, not to worry old friend, they say it might heal with time. And no, I'm not really into latrines. :lol:

On top of that, Ken requested some info, which I could not provide, so I did the next best thing, I think. :unsure:

You mean the Generalissimo wanted info on women's latrines!? :w00t: Even more worrying!! ;)

You mean the Generalissimo wanted info on women's latrines!? :w00t: Even more worrying!! ;)

Speaking as a woman...you men are REALLY worrying me! :lol:;)

General Apathy
Ken,

Thank you for your kind words sir. I have no idea about his flag and how it came to be there?? Ian and I have talked several times about my Grandfather and when he saw the post of his flag on your thread he directed me there / here. Anyway, I'm glad he did, because I hate to admit it but I've never seen your amazing 242 page thread!! I love it and will now be checking it day to day, it's like reading a book... Thank you for all your work on this.

As far as my Grandfather goes, I returned to Normandy with him in 2000, that was his first time back. What an experience that was!! He has since been back 3 more times and maybe that is how the flag posting came to be? Is there a story behind the flags being posted? Any idea who posted the flags? It's interesting that he is shown as 1st Sgt Bahlau because he ended up as a Lt. with a battle field commission, so that may be a clue also??

Attached is a picture of us in 2000 beside the grave of one of his men "Stan Stockens" I've heard many great stories about. Oh and I'm the younger one... :w00t:

Troy

Hi Troy ( the younger ), another good shot of your grandfather and yourself, I'm pleased to hear that you got to travel with him and learn first hand of his advertures. Whoever added the flags outside the church obviously knew your grandfather as a 1st sgt here in Normandy and before his commission, so we have to thank that unknown person who enabled this memory of your grandfather to appear here. ;)

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 13 June 2012

A remarkable set of coincidences Ken. Some unknown person planted that flag with Troy's grandad's name....you photographed and posted it, not knowing of the link with Troy (the younger!), a fellow forummer...I saw it and immediately made the connection having spoken to Troy about his grandad's service previously, and then passed it on down the line. Amazing... and great for Troy and his family! :thumbsup:

General Apathy
Troy,

Great pictures of your Grandfather. That is wonderful that you were able to travel with him. I am sure nothing will replace your memories and great stories from him. Thanks for showing these pictures.

And this is by far my favorite thread on the forum. I read it every day! Glad you found it!

....Kat

Hi Kat, I have to agree with you that it was wonderful for Troy ( the younger ) to have made these journeys with his grandfather. Sadly in my naivety of youth I thought that there was all the time in the world to travel back to Dunkirk with an uncle and record his day's and weeks of fighting and evacuation from there, I left it too long and lost that chance, tragically I would also go on to repeat that same naivety with my own father and recording his youth, service and family history. :crying:

Regarding this Normandy topic Kat then you must be my main propagandist always commenting on the ' Then & Now ' photo's and adding subtle additions here and there on the trivia spoken about. :lol:;)

ken

Hi Kat, I have to agree with you that it was wonderful for Troy ( the younger ) to have made these journeys with his grandfather. Sadly in my naivety of youth I thought that there was all the time in the world to travel back to Dunkirk with an uncle and record his day's and weeks of fighting and evacuation from there, I left it too long and lost that chance, tragically I would also go on to repeat that same naivety with my own father and recording his youth, service and family history. :crying:

Regarding this Normandy topic Kat then you must be my main propagandist always commenting on the ' Then & Now ' photo's and adding subtle additions here and there on the trivia spoken about. :lol:;)

ken

Ken, I know what you mean. My father was a US Navy deep sea diver in WW-2, the Pacific, my mother said he helped seal up the USS Arizona, and went blind for almost a year once when they pulled him up too fast, popped his eyes out. I'll never know, he left us when I was a small child, and I felt nothing but hate for the man, leaving us and no contact whatsoever thereafter.Then my older sister told me a couple years ago, she thinks my mother was the instigator, if I had of known that, I would have tried to contact him. It would have been great to pass on his history to my children and my grandchildren. Also remember my sister wanting to give me his Navy photos, but I wanted nothing to do with them, and now they've gotten lost in a big move. :(

Back to ' Then & Now ', I posted this photo in the "Enemy capture photos", someday when you're on the road in that area, maybe you can locate this street? Might be worth a beer. ;) When you enlarge the photo you can see a sign behind the Kettenkrad with Cherbourg on it.

mptrike.jpg

A remarkable set of coincidences Ken. Some unknown person planted that flag with Troy's grandad's name....you photographed and posted it, not knowing of the link with Troy (the younger!), a fellow forummer...I saw it and immediately made the connection having spoken to Troy about his grandad's service previously, and then passed it on down the line. Amazing... and great for Troy and his family! :thumbsup:

Ian, You're just catching on to this?? :rolleyes:

...... I'll never know, he left us when I was a small child, and I felt nothing but hate for the man, leaving us and no contact whatsoever thereafter.Then my older sister told me a couple years ago, she thinks my mother was the instigator, if I had of known that, I would have tried to contact him. It would have been great to pass on his history to my children and my grandchildren. Also remember my sister wanting to give me his Navy photos, but I wanted nothing to do with them, and now they've gotten lost in a big move. :( .......

Pat...One day we will have to compare stories. I remember some of my life with father, but it wasn't until 40 years after his death that I got the rest of the story. That, may have changed the way I felt about him while he was still alive. :unsure:

This is an early attempt at a field latrine. Needs tweaking.

Perhaps we should plant a tree around it....we'll feel right at home! :w00t:

USMC-RECON0321
Hi Troy ( the younger ), another good shot of your grandfather and yourself, I'm pleased to hear that you got to travel with him and learn first hand of his advertures. Whoever added the flags outside the church obviously knew your grandfather as a 1st sgt here in Normandy and before his commission, so we have to thank that unknown person who enabled this memory of your grandfather to appear here. ;)

ken

Thanks again Ken, I will surely share the picture with him and all the well wishes from the forum. He has some great stuff from his service I need to document and post a thread on here for. He still has his original note book with the hand written names of those he jumped with on D-day and written next to the names is either KIA, WIA and MIA except for two names, him and another. This was his notes for him to give a morning report several days later. He also has a copy of the order for his 2nd Silver star along with Col. Sink's name. I'll attach some pics of copies I have.

post-33000-1339687421.jpg

post-33000-1339687431.jpg

Troy...as your grandad was a 506er, was he acquainted with those we now refer to as "The Band of Brothers", i.e. Easy Co?

USMC-RECON0321
Troy...as your grandad was a 506er, was he acquainted with those we now refer to as "The Band of Brothers", i.e. Easy Co?

Ian,

He has never watched the series, I even bought it for him on DVD?? So it catches me off guard when he has told stories about some of the men of Easy Co. but doesn't even realize they are known world wide now from the series.

For example: He shared a room with 1st Sgt Lipton back in England because they were both battlefield commissioned and went through the Officers course together after the war. He also has a picture of Him, my Grandmother and Lipton sitting together at one of the reunions.

He also knew and tells a story about watching Capt Speirs get into a fist fight with another Officer. Saying "He was one tough SOB"

And he recalls several conversations with Col. Sink when he was transferred as the HQ Co. 1st Sgt for a short period of time.

Troy