Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

post-344-1339529329.jpg

Flag #1 ............ :salute:

I have four individually named flags to add here over the next four posts, these were stuck in the ground outside the church at St Marie du Mont, sadly I didn't get to take photographs of the flags until the day of the militaria fare and the large orange plastic tubs were in the background.

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 12 June 2012

General Apathy

post-344-1339529454.jpg

Flag #2 .......... :salute:

sadly I didn't get to take photographs of the flags until the day of the militaria fare and the large orange plastic tubs were in the background.

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1339529570.jpg

Flag #3 .......... :salute:

sadly I didn't get to take photographs of the flags until the day of the militaria fare and the large orange plastic tubs were in the background.

I had the very great pleasure of meeting and talking with George Koskimaki twice back in 1974 & 1976.

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1339529698.jpg

Flag #4 .......... :salute:

ken

Ken

Good to see you back and in fine form.

I was thinking if you went missing much longer We would have to put your picture on wine bottles and distibute them widley through the country(course after testing each one) ;)

Looks like a fine time was had by all and with Ian as your new roving reporter we have been well updated.

The Military show looked to have a some nice kit offered.

Thanks for posting the flags.I had spoken to George a few times.Have his books as well.He helped me ID a jump jacket to a KIA medic I have.

RD

USMC-RECON0321
post-344-1339529454.jpg

Flag #2 .......... :salute:

ken

Thanks for posting the picture of Fred Bahlau's Flag, That is my Grandfather!!

Well Ken, we've never met....yet....but I feel like I know you just from the great posts and repartee between you and Ian (who I also have never met, but feel like I know him!) and I hope to be part of this conversation next year when I return to Normandy for my fourth visit. I have been a few times in recent years but wasn't really an active forum member at the time.

I usually make the trek from my part of Canada (on the far west coast) every couple of years with a few fellow police officers who also are WWII history enthusiasts. Next May / June we will again travel to Germany, Belgium and France, visiting as many historic WWII battle sites and museums as we can, ending in Normandy for the D-Day celebrations.

I hope I have an opportunity to meet you, and Ian and any other Forum members I haven't met yet, and of course I hope to see Johan again who so kindly took me around Brugge when I was there last year.

It looks like you have a wonderful place and in a great location!

Regards to all, and here's to meeting you all next June!

Rick

Wow Troy! It must be very special to see a memorial flag in honour of your Grandfather!

Rick

General Apathy

post-344-1339531978.jpg

Ken

Good to see you back and in fine form.

I was thinking if you went missing much longer We would have to put your picture on wine bottles and distibute them widley through the country(course after testing each one) ;)

Looks like a fine time was had by all and with Ian as your new roving reporter we have been well updated.

The Military show looked to have a some nice kit offered.

Thanks for posting the flags.I had spoken to George a few times.Have his books as well.He helped me ID a jump jacket to a KIA medic I have.

RD

Hi Ron, thanks for the welcome back, yes Ian is a camera fiend often taking shots of the same item four or five times and editing when he gets home.

yes there was some nice kit for sale at the St Marie du Mont show and I will add a few shots now, I added the dug up life-belts and gasmask bags a few days ago.

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1339532150.jpg

Photo #2 ..........

St Marie du Mont militaria show June 2012

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1339532291.jpg

Photo #3 ..........

St Marie du Mont militaria show June 2012, note the ' wartime paper salvage symbol ' on the carton containing coiled ropes.

ken

RD

To funny RD! But I bet it would work. :w00t:

General Apathy

Hi Troy, well thanks for joining in and proudly letting the forum know that that's your grandfather named there. :thumbsup:

Best wishes to him and yourself and go carefully out there if you are still in the services. ;)

ken

General Apathy
Well Ken, we've never met....yet....but I feel like I know you just from the great posts and repartee between you and Ian (who I also have never met, but feel like I know him!) and I hope to be part of this conversation next year when I return to Normandy for my fourth visit. I have been a few times in recent years but wasn't really an active forum member at the time.

I usually make the trek from my part of Canada (on the far west coast) every couple of years with a few fellow police officers who also are WWII history enthusiasts. Next May / June we will again travel to Germany, Belgium and France, visiting as many historic WWII battle sites and museums as we can, ending in Normandy for the D-Day celebrations.

I hope I have an opportunity to meet you, and Ian and any other Forum members I haven't met yet, and of course I hope to see Johan again who so kindly took me around Brugge when I was there last year.

It looks like you have a wonderful place and in a great location!

Regards to all, and here's to meeting you all next June!

Rick

Hi Rick, well 2013 appears to heading for a big forum round-up if all that wish to get here actually do get here, lets hope we all make it, in God we trust as the US Dollar states.

I think I should open a cafe in St Mere Eglise named ' Rick's ' and then we could use that famous line from the film Casablanca ' everyone makes their way to Rick's '

see you in the bar 2013, hopefully ;)

ken

General Apathy
:blink:

Very nice.

Love the clothes line rope.......... :lol:

' airborne rope dear boy, airborne rope ' tut tut clothes line rope have you no shame. :blush::lol:

ken

General Apathy
I was thinking if you went missing much longer We would have to put your picture on wine bottles and distibute them widley through the country ( of course after testing each one) RD

Too funny RD! But I bet it would work. :w00t:

Hi JS, naw it wouldn't work, all empty wine bottles end up at the village dump so no-one would see my photo and find me. Then Kat would be mortified as she's hoping to get to Normandy one day to disprove that I am just a hologram created by Craig Pickrall and the forum CGI technician :huh:

ken

USMC-RECON0321
Hi Troy, well thanks for joining in and proudly letting the forum know that that's your grandfather named there. :thumbsup:

Best wishes to him and yourself and go carefully out there if you are still in the services. ;)

ken

Ken and Rick, thanks!! Yes I keep busy back here taking him around to events he gets invited to.

He is doing well, I've attached a couple of pics of him, now and then!!

Troy

post-33000-1339534594.jpg

post-33000-1339534605.jpg

Ken and Rick, thanks!! Yes I keep busy back here taking him around to events he gets invited to.

Troy

Well Troy, he looks very healthy and apparently stays very active! Here's to his continued health and longevity! ...and many thanks to him for his service as a Screamin' Eagle! :salute:

Rick

Ron...in my experience, all militaria sold in Normandy carries a premium simply because it happens to be in Normandy. There are a few shops dotted around the centre of Ste Mere Eglise with nice gear...but prices to make your eyes water! There are others elsewhere too with similarly high prices. I went into one in Ste Marie Du Mont. The first thing I picked up was a used Thompson 30rd mag bag. The price label read €115...or $143. I promptly put it down and left!

General Apathy
Great stuff from Normandy. Love this thread

Reminds me of the last time I was there 1994.

Hello Manay, thanks for adding in with your enjoyment of the thread and hopefully may it continue to raise good memories for you. ;)

ken

General Apathy

Troy

Troy, thanks for adding photo's of your grandfather for the forum readers to see, and he looks in good health in both of them even some sixty years apart maybe. :lol: :thumbsup:

ken

General Apathy
Well Troy, he looks very healthy and apparently stays very active! Here's to his continued health and longevity! ...and many thanks to him for his service as a Screamin' Eagle! :salute:

Rick

;)

ken