Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy
Very nice work Ken!

Are these the 1000 liter water storage bins you were speaking of?

Hi JS, yep these are 1.000 litres and I have three of them as you can see, when I get a break from the rain presently coming down then I have to devise and fit a filteration system to prevent leaf and debris entering the tanks. :think:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 29 April 2012

Hi JS, yep these are 1.000 litres and I have three of them as you can see, when I get a break from the rain presently coming down then I have to devise and fit a filteration system to prevent leaf and debris entering the tanks. :think:

ken

I would think a "sun screen" the type of which we put over young plants and trees should work nicely. It will also allow the rain to go through! :unsure:

craig_pickrall

Nice job on the water storage system.

Do the farms in your area use public water supply or do they have wells or possibly both?

General Apathy
I would think a "sun screen" the type of which we put over young plants and trees should work nicely. It will also allow the rain to go through! :unsure:

Hi JS, thanks for the tip on the screen as a filteration idea, I will give it a go once I get back onto that job. :lol: :think:

ken

General Apathy
Nice job on the water storage system.

Do the farms in your area use public water supply or do they have wells or possibly both?

Hi Craig, virtually all the older properties have their own well, we also have dis-used village wells, just forty metres along the road from my house is a natural flowing spring that is available to any villager, some of the locals take trailers with water butts down there and use vehicle operated electrical pumps to obtain free water for their farm animals.

All the older and newer houses have piped water to their houses but through a metered system, every drop has to be paid for just like death and taxes. Funnily enough there still exists an insurance get-out clause called ' an act of God ' so why do we have to pay for water, surely that's also ' an act of God '. shouldn't be allowed to have it both ways in their favour.

As it states on American banknotes ' In God we trust ' :lol: The others can go take a long walk off a short pier.

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1335729060.jpg

My neighbours field .................

On several occasions my French neighbour has related stories of what happened in his fathers fields during WWII, one of the fields has never been ploughed since the war due to the amount of metal objects in the ground that would blunt and damage the plough blades, so he encouraged some friends and myself to metal detect the field.

In this first photo can be seen wire splint frames for legs, a length of box section metal used for joining wooden ridge beams for large tents, bottom right is the metal tip section of a hexagonal pole again for large tents, the other metal items are related to wood and canvas folding cots.

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1335729565.jpg

seen here is a German barbed wire stake approximately a metre in length, initially I thought that the square plate at the bottom had been damaged in some way and was not in it's normal horizontal position to the upright stake :think: however more was to be revealed upon removal.

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1335729976.jpg

So here is a German barbed wire stake approximately a metre in length, once removed I could see that two of the three feet had had the rivets cut and the plate bent to 45 degrees on the third foot, the underside of the plate had been stencilled and the stake used inverted and forced into the ground thereby displaying the stencilled plate.

So an abandoned German barbed wire stake converted to a sign by American ingenuity. :lol: :thumbsup:

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1335730806.jpg

So an abandoned German barbed wire stake converted to a sign by American ingenuity, shown here is a close up of the stencil, my farming neighbour maintained that this field was a field hospital and this is what it is known as locally. The stencilling simply states ' Class 4 ' in the lower left corner can be seen the outline of a circle but nothing now evident within that circle.

So presently two options are in mind, as it's known to be a field that was a hospital then does ' class 4 ' relate to triage classifications, or possibly a 'class 4 ' bridge specification, more information needs to be found relating to this ' class 4 ' stencil, the use of the German barbed wire stake is unique however. Many other vehicle parts have been found within this field, maybe after the field hospital advanced with the front line then the field could well have become a vehicle collection and repair field, another field less than a mile away was the collection point for all abandoned German vehicles, motorcycles to tanks.

Finding and recovery of this sign has identified the use and adaption of this barbed wire stake by the American forces after D-Day, the detail of which would have been lost forever as the metal work corroded away. A second stake was found close by but sadly the plate was not to be found.

ken

;)

General Apathy
Interesting "field trip" and useful information for history as well!

Thanks Ken.

Hi JS, thanks for the comment, good historical reference on the German stake being used in this way. ;)

ken

post-344-1335729976.jpg

So here is a German barbed wire stake approximately a metre in length, once removed I could see that two of the three feet had had the rivets cut and the plate bent to 45 degrees on the third foot, the underside of the plate had been stencilled and the stake used inverted and forced into the ground thereby displaying the stencilled plate.

So an abandoned German barbed wire stake converted to a sign by American ingenuity. :lol: :thumbsup:

ken

Really interesting finds Ken, thanks for sharing. Did you cover the whole field with your search? or have you only just "scratched the surface"?, (no pun intended!).Or is it a case of "Watch this space" for future discoveries. Well done. Lee.

Johan Willaert

Just for reference a picture of a German Barbed Wire stake as it originally looked...

These came in different lengths (3-4-5-6')

post-92-1335788578.jpg

General Apathy
Ken. I'll have a word with Tony Robinson to see if he has a vacancy in the "Time Team"! :lol: Remarkable finds BTW!

Ian, :lol: :thumbsup: thanks

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 30 April 2012

General Apathy
Really interesting finds Ken, thanks for sharing. Did you cover the whole field with your search? or have you only just "scratched the surface"?, (no pun intended!).Or is it a case of "Watch this space" for future discoveries. Well done. Lee.

Hi Lee, well I don't think you will be seeing much in the way of finds my time is pretty much taken up now until the end of June, as mentioned before the whole world and his dog are here May-June, oh and certain forum members and moderator's. :lol::lol:

ken

Ken..it takes a certain degree of skill and knowledge (which you have) to recognize a twisted lump of rusted metal and positively identify it as you do. If the farmer turned it up with is plough it would just be considered a rusty piece of junk which would get tossed away into the grass verges, never to be seen again...so well done you and your fellow military archaeologists! :thumbsup:

General Apathy

post-344-1335792224.jpg

Just for reference a picture of a German Barbed Wire stake as it originally looked...

These came in different lengths (3-4-5-6')

Hi Johan, thanks for adding a shot of a stake the correct way up :lol: allowing other members to see the real thing. See you next month, be good to see you again, Sabrejet will be over here at that time as well. ;)

Here's two of mine that I aquired locally back in 2010. ;)

ken

General Apathy
Ken..it takes a certain degree of skill and knowledge (which you have) to recognize a twisted lump of rusted metal and positively identify it as you do. If the farmer turned it up with is plough it would just be considered a rusty piece of junk which would get tossed away into the grass verges, never to be seen again...so well done you and your fellow military archaeologists! :thumbsup:

Ian, your right in your assumption, Pierre had a real struggle pulling that Sherman turret to the edge of his field last week :crying:

ken

Rakkasan187

Ken,

Very interesting find with the barbed wire post and sign. I have another possible thought on the use of the sign.

Could the field have been some type of Battalion Trains or supply depot at one time after the push through France? Class 4 or IV supplies in WW2 were designated Clothing, Equipment and General Supplies. Maybe that area of the field was designated for such supplies??

Just a thought.

Thanks again for the wonderful pictures. I will let you and everyone else on the forum in on a little secret in the next few weeks, but I can't say just yet... ;)

Leigh..

Ken,

Very interesting find with the barbed wire post and sign. I have another possible thought on the use of the sign.

Could the field have been some type of Battalion Trains or supply depot at one time after the push through France? Class 4 or IV supplies in WW2 were designated Clothing, Equipment and General Supplies. Maybe that area of the field was designated for such supplies??

Just a thought.

Thanks again for the wonderful pictures. I will let you and everyone else on the forum in on a little secret in the next few weeks, but I can't say just yet... ;)

Leigh..

Ooo, you are such a tease Leigh! :w00t:

Ken,

I haven't been on the forum all weekend. I have missed some more of your great posts! That is too cool that you can go metal detecting in your neighbor's yard. I can also see why you have been busy at your own house.

Thanks so much for the great posts once again! .....Kat

General Apathy

post-344-1335797141.jpg

Ken,

Just a thought.

Leigh..

Damn it Leigh, you had to go and throw another idea into the brain pool, ( and I should have thought of that :crying: ) well there were supply depots locally but most of the people who would have been here around that time are no longer with us. We know that the photo above was taken locally but very difficult to identify the field without a church spire or something similar in the background to aid the search. Having handled very similar bundles when I was dealing then I would suspect that the stack of bundles are leggings.

Thanks for the suggestion.

You know I have probably got a fix on what your surprise is going to be, so good luck with that my friend. :lol::lol: :thumbsup:

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1335797488.jpg

Fields of Normandy cont .................

there were supply depots locally but most of the people who would have been here around that time are no longer with us. We know that the photo above was taken locally but very difficult to identify the field without a church spire or something similar in the background to aid the search. Having handled very similar bundles when I was dealing then I would suspect that the stack of bundles are leggings.

The attached photo above is another local field that we can only guess to, it is a little way away from the fields owned by my farming neighbour and doesn't belong to him. :crying:

ken