Norman D. Landing

bilko1

Thats great ...paw prints .........I missed it in the thread .

No book in bed tonight , lap top and Normandy will be required reading !

owen

General Apathy
Hi Ken,

Is it raining over there? Since you are on here rather than pouring cement I was wondering.

Disregard that old empty chair trick. It is just a ploy to get you to pay their bar bill.

Hi Craig, well yesterday afternoon-evening I did twenty cement mixer loads, each load consisting of 12 shovels aggregate-sand and three shovels of cement plus water and wheel-barrowing into the prepared trench, then rain stopped play ( English cricket term ) That's when I came indoors and loaded stuff on the forum.

This morning before midday I did another nine cement mixer loads when rain stopped play again, except that this time I had finished filling the boarded trench and tamped off the top layer and covered with waterproof sheeting. The trench is 9 x 4 x 1 feet in measurement, and this is to stand my 3.000 litre rainwater storage tank on, droughts are becoming more common now in Europe................. :crying:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 18 April 2012

General Apathy

post-344-1334781767.jpg

Thats great ...paw prints .........I missed it in the thread .

No book in bed tonight , lap top and Normandy will be required reading !

owen

Hi Owen, to save you a sleepless night here once again is the concrete pad seen at a bunker complex, note the straight line cut on the left hand side thankfully it hasn't been taken so far, would think that some form of mechanical lifting vehicle would be needed.

In the man's prints the studs of the boots can be seen. ;)

ken

General Apathy
:lol: And we thought we were so SLY!! :blush:

Hi JS, so who took the photo for you, the waitress maybe.

You always appear to be wearing colorful Bar-Hawaiian style shirts, I have a few bowling shirts myself.

ken

Ken ,

Thanks dude ..............

What a great oops moment from 1943ish captured in time !!!!

You can just imagine the "get of my roof " you plonker ......

owen

post-344-1334781767.jpg

Hi Owen, to save you a sleepless night here once again is the concrete pad seen at a bunker complex, note the straight line cut on the left hand side thankfully it hasn't been taken so far, would think that some form of mechanical lifting vehicle would be needed.

In the man's prints the studs of the boots can be seen. ;)

ken

Could those prints have been made by Werner Pluskat and his dog, as immortalised in "The Longest Day"? (Actually a real person) :think:

General Apathy

post-344-1334953441.jpg

Could those prints have been made by Werner Pluskat and his dog, as immortalised in "The Longest Day"? (Actually a real person) :think:

Hi Ian, good comment and he was a ' real ' person :lol::lol: yes I understand what your saying and wonder what the possibilities of that being the case but who can say after all these years.

sadly after pouring my concrete base it had dried before I considered copying the idea and putting on some jack-boots, borrowing the neighbours dog and immortalising our foot prints, I did just manage to scratch ' lewis - 2012 '

into the surface. :unsure:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 20 April 2012

:lol:

Ken...you could do a militaria collectors' "Walk of Fame" along your driveway. Every time someone visits they could leave some signed/dated hand-prints in wet cement...immortalised for ever! ;)

General Apathy

Still being found .....................

well some people have some scepticism about stuff still being found here in Normandy, however the generation who recovered items at the war's end are now passing on and their houses being renovated or resold and ' treasures ' are being found. Outside of militaria junk being found a recent newspaper report stated that builders when removing old planking from between an upper and lower floor found gold and silver coins with a current value of 800.000 euros, the bounty was split between the house owner and the builder, the builder stated that he was retiring.

Now regarding the military junk that still comes to light then I will just mention a photograph I was shown today on a cell phone, a French friend who's a collector had a local man show him something that he had found in the loft of the house he had just bought in my friends village. A stone cold factory fresh US chest chute pack, it must have been issued in June 1944 day's before D-Day and made that one jump into Normandy and was then discarded, it was the model with two hooks on the rear, jealous who me, nah I'm still thinking about the gold and silver coin find ? ? and which barn has an hidden schwimwagen :think:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 22 April 2012

General Apathy
Ken...you could do a militaria collectors' "Walk of Fame" along your driveway. Every time someone visits they could leave some signed/dated hand-prints in wet cement...immortalised for ever! ;)

Hi Ian, well as you suggested it, maybe you could be the first of many when you drop by this summer :thumbsup: , or maybe you could give the ' al capone ' concrete boots a try out in the sea at Utah beach. :lol::lol:

When your here in June then I would suggest trying out the food at the blue and white painted Creperie in St Marie du Mont, we had a meal there the other evening and was quite impressed with the quality and taste. Sorry we didn't manage to negotiate a discount for forum members.

ken

Hi Ian, well as you suggested it, maybe you could be the first of many when you drop by this summer :thumbsup: , or maybe you could give the ' al capone ' concrete boots a try out in the sea at Utah beach. :lol::lol:

When your here in June then I would suggest trying out the food at the blue and white painted Creperie in St Marie du Mont, we had a meal there the other evening and was quite impressed with the quality and taste. Sorry we didn't manage to negotiate a discount for forum members.

ken

Sounds good to me Ken...the crepes, that is! ;)

General Apathy
Sounds good to me Ken...the crepes, that is! ;)

Hi Ian, no,no, just just crepes, there's steak, sea food, fromage board etc, etc.

forgot to mention that back in the 1980's this building was not a restaurant but a surplus store and mainly all U.S. womens clothing WAAC & Wac's stuff all in unissued factory fresh condition, however I think it was only open May - June - July each year.

ken

Sounds like the place to eat. I love finding places out of the mainstream to eat. My brother came for a visit yesterday. Hadn't seen him in several years His wifes Sorority had their 100 year celebration this weekend. We showed him all the new buildings on the University Campus and ate in an old Bank converted into a Steak House. Then gave him a tour of my Militaria room. He's into making jewelry from rocks so he raided my wifes rock garden. Robert

Still being found .....................

well some people have some scepticism about stuff still being found here in Normandy, however the generation who recovered items at the war's end are now passing on and their houses being renovated or resold and ' treasures ' are being found. Outside of militaria junk being found a recent newspaper report stated that builders when removing old planking from between an upper and lower floor found gold and silver coins with a current value of 800.000 euros, the bounty was split between the house owner and the builder, the builder stated that he was retiring.

Now regarding the military junk that still comes to light then I will just mention a photograph I was shown today on a cell phone, a French friend who's a collector had a local man show him something that he had found in the loft of the house he had just bought in my friends village. A stone cold factory fresh US chest chute pack, it must have been issued in June 1944 day's before D-Day and made that one jump into Normandy and was then discarded, it was the model with two hooks on the rear, jealous who me, nah I'm still thinking about the gold and silver coin find ? ? and which barn has an hidden schwimwagen :think:

ken

Hi ken,

I'd also love to go through some of these old barns and woods starting from the French/Swiss border going up through the Black Forest. Like everybody does when you have an invading army coming at your back or front door, you're going to bury and hide your valuables, and how many people never returned to recover thier goods? :think: There's no doubt still a small fortune to be found. The Germans do not like to see people running around with metal detectors, and when you do find something, you have to turn it in to the authorities, which I would of course. ;)

Hi ken,

I'd also love to go through some of these old barns and woods starting from the French/Swiss border going up through the Black Forest. Like everybody does when you have an invading army coming at your back or front door, you're going to bury and hide your valuables, and how many people never returned to recover thier goods? :think: There's no doubt still a small fortune to be found. The Germans do not like to see people running around with metal detectors, and when you do find something, you have to turn it in to the authorities, which I would of course. ;)

I can understand why they're a bit "twitchy" about that Pat because the last time they saw guys with metal-detectors roaming the countryside they were dressed in OD and carrying M1 rifles!! ;)

General Apathy
Sounds like the place to eat. I love finding places out of the mainstream to eat. My brother came for a visit yesterday. Hadn't seen him in several years His wifes Sorority had their 100 year celebration this weekend. We showed him all the new buildings on the University Campus and ate in an old Bank converted into a Steak House. Then gave him a tour of my Militaria room. He's into making jewelry from rocks so he raided my wifes rock garden. Robert

Hi Robert, yep funny how many old banks become restaurants when in reality they would suit a militaria collector ideally, large gun cabinet included. :lol:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 29 April 2012

General Apathy
Hi ken,

Hi Pat, well barn searching is a big desire for a lot of people. It's also very touchy subject to raise with people as to why you would want to look inside their barns.

A local farmer here has shown me a few pieces of militaria that his family accumulated at the end of the war, however when walking on the roadway past one of his barns it's evident that he has other things and that there is something else military laying on a shelf in there. However it's a very difficult and delicate situation to raise a question about seeing it as it would then appear that I might have been taking undue liberties looking in his barn. :think:

ken

General Apathy
I can understand why they're a bit "twitchy" about that Pat because the last time they saw guys with metal-detectors roaming the countryside they were dressed in OD and carrying M1 rifles!! ;)

Hi Ian, I would also suspect that the guy's carrying the M-1 rifles and using metal detectors were very ' twitchy ' as well at that time. :unsure:

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1335690858.jpg

Normandy weather situation ..................

Well we had the driest winter for the last three years no rain or snow, January, February and March were dry, February and March were sunshine and warm so I got to thinking about conserving rainwater from the roof for watering the plants and flowers through the summer as a drought situation was beginning to happen.

In the last two weeks I mixed and laid a concrete base to sit some water storage containers on, having achieved that then it hasn't stopped raining in the last two weeks. ? ? :think: June is getting closer so if your visiting here this summer keep an eye on weather conditions and prepare for whatever occurs, rain or sun it does have extremes either way.

Something else I would advise anyone to be aware of 2014 is the 70th anniversary of D-Day, many of the hotels, camp-sites and chambre d'hotes ( B & B's ) are already booked or taking bookings for 2014. If you want to be in the heart of things for 2014 then consider making some arrangements, yes places like St Lo are in Normandy but in June almost an hours drive to Omaha and Utah beaches. :crying:

St Mere Eglise is a sleepy little farming community for nine to eleven months a year without a surfeit of accommodation but for a few weeks either side of D-Day the whole world, his dog, the wife, the children and baby-carriages become the norm. :unsure:

ken

Hi Ken. You're very well organized (as ususal!) and an eminently practical man! The South-East of the UK, being geographically closest to you, has also endured similar weather patterns. In fact it has been officially declared an area of drought by the UK government's Environment Agency. There's no immediate danger to public water supplies but sprinklers and hosepipes etc., are banned until further notice. However...like with you, the weather broke last week and we've had heavy rain almost every day. Rivers and streams which were reduced to trickles are now bursting their banks!! Ironically, despite this, the Environment Agency say it's still not enough to replenish the reservoirs to their expected levels nor to raise the regional water table....and this is an island surrounded by water! :o

General Apathy
Here you go Ken...this'll make you feel nostalgic for Blighty! ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17885657

Hi Ian, you appear to be wondering whether the weather gives me ' Blighty ' nostalgia.

Well I am working again today on this weeks project weather-proofing the planking that I will be constructing a BBQ shack with. As I don't wish to take too long for a break then I just had my ' Blighty ' nostalgia in the form of a tasty toasted sandwich with ' Branston Original Pickle ' along with a great cup of British char ( tea ) :lol: :thumbsup:

O.K tea breaks over back to work. :lol:

ken