Norman D. Landing

bilko1

post-8022-1325112135.jpg

An account of the disaster that was "Operation Tiger". I believe the author was instrumental in recovering the Sherman from the seabed.

Hi Ian, to quote one of the lawyers from Ally McBeal ' I'm not comfortable with that ' I think you might have re-phrased the statement ' leave a small deposit ' :crying: :think: :think: otherwise it's o.k. :lol: :thumbsup:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 28 December 2011

I was being metaphorical dear boy. You know how we Brits like to "manipulate" the language!! ;)

General Apathy
I was being metaphorical dear boy. You know how we Brits like to "manipulate" the language!! ;)

Ian old bean, feel free and be metaphorical and manipulate the language just no need to make me masticate it. :o:lol:

ken

;)

Ian old bean, feel free and be metaphorical and manipulate the language just no need to make me masticate it. :o:lol:

ken

;)

Careful Ken...it can make you blind/drive you mad! :lol:

General Apathy
post-8022-1325112135.jpg

An account of the disaster that was "Operation Tiger". I believe the author was instrumental in recovering the Sherman from the seabed.

Hi Ian, Ken Small devoted pretty much of his life and years to recovering that tank, the red tape and bureacratic circles that he had to run around in caused him much grief and health issues, and a divorce I believe.

Read more about operation Tiger, and Ken Small's efforts to raise the tank for a monument.

http://www.shermantank.co.uk/index.php?sec...amp;action=home

ken

vostoktrading
Kat...if I may interject here? Back in the good ol' days when Britain ruled most of the known world, India was the proverbial "Jewel in the crown". Many British servicemen and government officials spent much time in India and brought back many Indian customs to Britain on their return. For example, the word chah was slang for tea and became widely used in British-English. Likewise the word khaki, also used by you colonial types ;) The word is derived from the Hindi name for the colour brown...khak. It was used to describe the brown shade adopted by the British Army for its tropical uniforms. British-English is full of words and phrases which can be traced back to out Imperial past...particularly naval slang. But that's for another time maybe...don't want to go off topic do we? TTFN!

Ian

It seems that Char is another way to say Tea in many areas of the world. In Japan Tea is called Cha or Ocha.

Here's an interesting link. Scroll down to see the different ways to say tea and cha in different languages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea

I wonder how much far eastern slang adopted or evolved by soldiers & sailors managed to get into the mainstream English language?

Oh! I gotta go, my wife said that chow is ready.

Jon.

These are some of the most beautiful beach scenes. It must be breath-taking to see in person.

Hard to imagine that such a beautiful place was the scene of so much destruction during the war.

....Kat

Hey Kat, it is beautiful there, but still very many traces of the war. I always got up very early in the morning, and went for a long walk before the day started, saw the fisherman taking thier boats out, and watched Normandy slowly come to life. My last morning there, my side of the camper was towards the ocean, woke up and watched the sun rise out of the water, I've seen some beautiful things in my life, and that was one of them, it is hard to believe so much death and destrucion happened there almost 70 years ago. Ken is a very fortunate man.

Oh yeah, add me to the list of Forum members who were rather surprised to find out you are a woman. ;)

Pat

General Apathy
It seems that Char is another way to say Tea in many areas of the world. In Japan Tea is called Cha or Ocha.

Here's an interesting link. Scroll down to see the different ways to say tea and cha in different languages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea

I wonder how much far eastern slang adopted or evolved by soldiers & sailors managed to get into the mainstream English language?

Oh! I gotta go, my wife said that chow is ready.

Jon.

Hi Jon, thanks for the wiki-link addition to the subject. :thumbsup:

ken

General Apathy
Hey Kat, it is beautiful there, Ken is a very fortunate man.

Oh yeah, add me to the list of Forum members who were rather surprised to find out you are a woman. ;)

Pat

Hi Pat, thanks for your thoughts that ' I am a fortunate man ' there are pro's and con's to everything some I might explain to you if we meet. ;)

You and Kat almost have something in common ( yes yes we know Kat's a woman :lol: ) your three letter names are almost interchangeable Pat - Kat, Kat - Pat :think: :lol:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 29 December 2011

General Apathy

post-344-1325168883.jpg

Back in the day ...............

back thirty years ago a group of friends and myself were instumental in starting the large static display diarama's at UK shows and now often referred to as living history displays.

For our Navy or Sea-Bee's displays we would truck in 30 - 40 tons of sand and spread across the grassed area, hiring real palm trees and tropical plants in tubs and spend a day creating a scene of a PTO nature, for a three day show. :lol:

These were great fun all experimental stuff as no one had done this stuff before, a great deal of time was spent throughout a year aquiring all the uniforms, equipment, props and vehicles to put these displays together.

Happy days ..........

ken

;)

General Apathy

post-344-1325169163.jpg

each August would be a different themed display, part of our 1914-1918 period display :lol: :thumbsup:

back thirty years ago a group of friends and myself were instumental in starting the large static display diarama's at UK shows and now often referred to as living history displays.

these were great fun all experimental stuff as no one had done this stuff before, a great deal of time was spent throughout a year aquiring all the uniforms, equipment, props and vehicles to put these displays together.

Happy days ..........

ken

;)

General Apathy

post-344-1325169570.jpg

each August would be a different themed display, part of our USN beach control display :lol: :thumbsup:

these were great fun all experimental stuff as no one had done this stuff before, a great deal of time was spent throughout a year aquiring all the uniforms, equipment, props and vehicles to put these displays together.

Happy days ..........

ken

;)

I seem to get this a LOT! :lol:

That is what I get for being interested in a collecting field dominated by men! :lol:

However, I like the odds. Sometimes, I feel like the little sister being protected by a TON of big brothers! :thumbsup:

....Kat

Ahhh yes..."The Beltring Brigade"! Those were the days Ken! Is that a very young (and slim!) looking Chris Greenaway I see there by the Model "T" ?!

Hi Pat, thanks for your thoughts that ' I am a fortunate man ' there are pro's and con's to everything some I might explain to you if we meet. ;)

Hey Ken, too bad the meet didn't turn out last summer, I mentioned that I would be in Normandy in Jack's Son's "Show yourself", but no reply, and I didn't want to butt in asking the other Forum members for a meet, I'm not shy ( :lol: ) I'm just not that kind that kind of person. On top of that, I went with two old army buddies of mine who also live here in Germany, and an East German, sort of POW, our motto was, "We used to take drugs to get high, now we take drugs to stay alive." :w00t:

In this picture is Georgia on the left, California on the right, and yours truly Washinton State in the middle. Please ignore the energy drinks and health food on the table. ;)

normandie1.jpg

Just checking out your 30 years ago pictures, looks like you were having fun! 30 years ago, my girlfriend, now wife was pregnant with our daughter, and I didn't want anything to do with the military, how things change with time.

Pat

Ken,

These pictures look like y'all were having a LOT of fun. I sure wish I could have seen these in person. They sure beat anything I see around here!

....Kat

General Apathy
I seem to get this a LOT! :lol:

That is what I get for being interested in a collecting field dominated by men! :lol:

However, I like the odds. Sometimes, I feel like the little sister being protected by a TON of big brothers! :thumbsup:

....Kat

Brotherly love, sister :blush::lol:

ken

;)

General Apathy

name='D.A.T.' date='Dec 29 2011, 04:03 PM' post='987901'[/]

name='General Apathy' date='Dec 29 2011, 05:30 AM' post='987816']

Hey Ken, our motto was, "We used to take drugs to get high, now we take drugs to stay alive." :w00t:

Hi Pat, back in the day............

Hippies took stuff to make the world weird, now they are older and the world is weird they take Prozac to straighten stuff out :wacko::huh:

Hope we meet up one day. ;)

ken

General Apathy
Ken,

These pictures look like y'all were having a LOT of fun. I sure wish I could have seen these in person. They sure beat anything I see around here!

....Kat

Hi Kat & Pat, yes we were having funny, those days were pretty straight the world wasn't weird as it is now, gas was cheap, the miles were many, the friends were great and it was almost as if the sun shone every day. :thumbsup:

ken

Currently available on Amazon.

post-8022-1325112034.jpg

Getting back to Operation Tiger, long ago I read the book "The Magic Army" by Leslie Thomas, it's fiction, but based on that time period. http://www.amazon.co.uk/MAGIC-ARMY-Leslie-...s/dp/B000V93YKI

I was amazed that Eisenhower and company covered all that up for such along time and got away with it.

It was an amazing cover-up Pat. Officers who had advance knowledge of the D-Day operations were known as "Bigots". There were several on board the vessels lost during Operation Tiger. This was the cause of great concern at SHAEF lest the top-secret plans be compromised if such an officer had been pulled out of the sea alive by the Germans. Several anxious days ensued whilst every MIA was accounted for so they could breath easy again. The picture below is of one of the damaged USN vessels which managed somehow to limp back to the safety of Dartmouth harbour. I don't know how they explained such severe damage to onlookers!!

post-8022-1325193880.jpg