Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

post-344-1325099275.jpg

Ok Lewis. Your great at identifing locations. One of my favorite pictures is this group marching somewhere. I feel their heading to their ship to go on D-Day. Can you tell me which English city it is and where in England its located in reference to London and maybe if its a famous picture what unit it is. Robert

Sorry got to resize it

Again Robert, more information ........

Just inland from the cliffs of Burton Bradstock is the ' ghost village of Tyneham ' this was a small village dating back a couple of hundred years, when the US Army required land and building to use in invasion practise the British ministry of war ordered the evacuation of the villagers and handed the village and farming fields over to the US forces. A promise was made to the villagers that they would be able to return after the war, this promise was not kept and the fields and houses still remain as British army training grounds. The British army garrison and tank museum are situated at Bovington a few miles to the north.

http://www.isleofpurbeck.com/tyneham.html

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 28 December 2011

;)

General Apathy

post-344-1325099842.jpg

Ahhh.....It is funny how the same words mean different things in different countries. Here in the South, a wad is usually a wad of chewing tobacco! :lol:

....Kat

Kat, post war the wad was used in the terms of ' I'm carrying a wad ', a hefty wad of cash. :rolleyes:

ken

;)

Kat...if I may interject here? Back in the good ol' days when Britain ruled most of the known world, India was the proverbial "Jewel in the crown". Many British servicemen and government officials spent much time in India and brought back many Indian customs to Britain on their return. For example, the word chah was slang for tea and became widely used in British-English. Likewise the word khaki, also used by you colonial types ;) The word is derived from the Hindi name for the colour brown...khak. It was used to describe the brown shade adopted by the British Army for its tropical uniforms. British-English is full of words and phrases which can be traced back to out Imperial past...particularly naval slang. But that's for another time maybe...don't want to go off topic do we? TTFN!

Ian

Kat...if I may interject here? Back in the good ol' days when Britain ruled most of the known world, India was the proverbial "Jewel in the crown". Many British servicemen and government officials spent much time in India and brought back many Indian customs to Britain on their return. For example, the word chah was slang for tea and became widely used in British-English. Likewise the word khaki, also used by you colonial types ;) The word is derived from the Hindi name for the colour brown...khak. It was used to describe the brown shade adopted by the British Army for its tropical uniforms. British-English is full of words and phrases which can be traced back to out Imperial past...particularly naval slang. But that's for another time maybe...don't want to go off topic do we? TTFN!

Ian

This is why I love this thread! I learn such interesting facts!

Ken, I do love the then and now posts. The clock is very interesting to me. The symbols on the side look different.

Was the clock damaged and repaired during the war?

....Kat

General Apathy

post-344-1325101497.jpg

Ok Lewis. Your great at identifing locations. One of my favorite pictures is this group marching somewhere. I feel their heading to their ship to go on D-Day. Can you tell me which English city it is and where in England its located in reference to London and maybe if its a famous picture what unit it is. Robert

Sorry got to resize it

Robert a little more information ........

100 miles and 2.1/2 hrs west of Weymouth is Slapton Sands which is were the US army and navy practised beach landings as the beach was similar to the Normandy beaches. This was called Operation Tiger however it went drastically wrong and around 800 servicemen lost their lives when German E-boats sneaked in under the cover of mist and torpedoed several of the large tank landing crafts

http://socyberty.com/military/exercise-tig...-slapton-sands/

see the story here of the last remaining E-boat ( S-Boot Schnellboot ) owned by Englishman Kevin Wheatcroft, I had the pleasure of viewing Kevin's extensive tank collection when I delivered a German Rangefinder I had sold to him. :thumbsup:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30977019/ns/wo...at-rises-again/

Kevin's own site

http://www.s130.co.uk/index.php/s130-history/

ken

;)

General Apathy

Ian

Well done again dear boy, I will have to have you and the mem-saab over for a spot of tiffin. ;)

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1325103469.jpg

This is why I love this thread! I learn such interesting facts!

Ken, I do love the then and now posts. The clock is very interesting to me. The symbols on the side look different.

Was the clock damaged and repaired during the war?

....Kat

Hi Kat, thanks for saying how interesting you find it here, I hope others enjoy it as well.. :think:

Regarding the clock, no it's all still exactly as it was the symbols are just the same, some bright spark at the council painting depot changed the color scheme and they don't have the same light and shadow on them as before to define the shapes. :blink:

ken

;)

Hi Ken, I'm butting in again, but I saw your picture of Slapton Sands, and if you use your imagination a bit, it looks quite like Omaha Beach, or is it just "my" imagination? I took this picture from the Vierville-Sur-Mer camping grounds last summer, camped right there two days long. :thumbsup:
EDIT: Picture is lost
Gotta admit, I'm almost on topic.

Pat..it was chosen for that very purpose. There's a monument there erected by the US Army to acknowledge the sacrifices made by the residents who were moved out of their homes, lock, stock and barrel, as the whole area became a live-fire training ground pre D-Day.

post-8022-1325105740.jpg

I just can't remember the cabbage patch scene. Was it the one D-Day morning where they were getting the weapons and ammo off the dead paratrooper hanging from the tree?....Kat

Kat,

I have my set of DVD's and will have to back and watch it to find which episode it is in. :thumbsup:

Gotta admit, I'm almost on topic.

These are some of the most beautiful beach scenes. It must be breath-taking to see in person.

Hard to imagine that such a beautiful place was the scene of so much destruction during the war.

....Kat

That's the beauty of this thread...it goes off on so many different tangents, all of them interesting and/or amusing....often both! :thumbsup:

General Apathy
Pat..it was chosen for that very purpose. There's a monument there erected by the US Army to acknowledge the sacrifices made by the residents who were moved out of their homes, lock, stock and barrel, as the whole area became a live-fire training ground pre D-Day.

well thar ya go Pat, ya got all the answers without my lips moving or my fingers hitting the keyboard :unsure::lol:

ken

General Apathy

Quick eveyone look snappy occifer on deck, Craig Pickrall's just logged on the topic :ermm:

:salute: :salute: :salute: :hapy0004:

ken

o.k. stand easy he's just moved off again :lol:

;)

This thread is like a communal watering hole. Members constantly drift to and from it throughout the day. Some partake of of its waters and then leave a small deposit....others sniff around and then move on. Endlessly fascinating! :thumbsup:

General Apathy
These are some of the most beautiful beach scenes. It must be breath-taking to see in person.

Hard to imagine that such a beautiful place was the scene of so much destruction during the war.

....Kat

Hi Kat, sadly both beaches suffered tragic losses of life, the loss of almost 800 Americans during the UK beach practise and the deadly attack by the German Schnellboots was hidden from release until sometime around the fiftieth anniversary if I recall rightly, I think the details were found ' buried ' in the American archives until then..

It was stated it was done so as to not hit the morale of the forces prior to D-Day and also not to give the Germans a propaganda boost. Once it was all released I recall some English eyewitnesses made statements that they saw the bodies lined up when they unknowingly of the facts went into the area to tend sheep and cattle in the fields behind the beaches, at the time they were coerced into signing the official secrets act .

ken

General Apathy
This thread is like a communal watering hole. Members constantly drift to and from it throughout the day. Some partake of its waters and then leave a small deposit....others sniff around and then move on without comment. Endlessly fascinating! :thumbsup:

Hi Ian, to quote one of the lawyers from Ally McBeal ' I'm not comfortable with that ' I think you might have re-phrased the statement ' leave a small deposit ' :crying: :think: :think: otherwise it's o.k. :lol: :thumbsup:

ken