Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

post-344-1323464171.jpg

post-344-1323464207.jpg

Carentan Then & Now Cont. ................

Difficult one to make a comparison of as the subject Maj. Gen. Maxwell D. Taylor was stood on an elevated platform in front of the monument in the town square for a medal awarding ceremony of the 101st .

The building with the colorful red and stone brickwork to the right of the photo is for sale and would make a wonderful bar and possible B & B arrangements right in the heart of the square and in the middle of Airborne country and the Utah and Omaha beaches if anyone is looking for a business opportunity. :lol::lol: You heard it here first :thumbsup:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 9 December 2011

I can see it now...."Doughboy Bar & Grill"...."Ken's Bar"...."Norman D. Landing's Bistro". Favourable rates for forum members Ken? ;):lol:

I can see it now...."Doughboy Bar & Grill"...."Ken's Bar"...."Norman D. Landing's Bistro". Favourable rates for forum members Ken? ;):lol:

We could have an annual meeting of the forum at the Doughboy Bar & Grill! I LOVE IT!

....Kat

General Apathy
As soon as I have the money ken, that's precisely what I'll be doing!

Good for you, we all have to dream, so keep on saving :lol::lol::lol:;)

ken

We could have an annual meeting of the forum at the Doughboy Bar & Grill! I LOVE IT!

....Kat

For sure Kat...and Ken could plunder his shoebox to create a GI-themed environment. OD walls, camo parachute-silk table covers etc. The menu could include such GI classics as s***-on-a-shingle, C-rat specials, Coca-Cola in glass bottles and Schlitz beer! I'll make my reservation now!

General Apathy
I can see it now.... "Doughboy Bar & Grill"...."Ken's Bar"...."Norman D. Landing's Bistro". Favourable rates for forum members Ken?

....Kat

Haha Ian you say you can see it now, but I don't think you did, take another look back at post # 3952. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :think:

Hi Kat , no objections to that proposal ;)

ken

;)

General Apathy
Right Ken...I see it now! Doh!! :blink: I still think something like "Doughboy's Diner" or "Overlord Bistro" have a certain ring to them?! ;)

Hi Ian, aha the good old 20/20 vision not so good the first time around, kind of paraphrases the old ' if I saw then what I see now ' I'd have seen it the first time. :lol::lol: :thumbsup:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 10 December 2011

General Apathy

post-344-1323635663.jpg

I opened a topic at the link below to ask for help in the identification of a knife, if you would like to follow the topic for any possible replies then click on the link :thumbsup:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...=129668&hl=

Help requested please .........

As my main area of collecting is US WWII period, then this is possibly outside of my period so I would be interested if anyone has any information on this style of knife or can date it please.

on this side of the blade and just in front of the tips of the wire frame it has a U.S. stamped both the U and the S have the detail of small bars across the ends more like pre 1920's style finishes. On the reverse of the blade it is stamped in the centre of the blade ' Sanitary tripleplate ' and that's all the detail that is on the knife.

thanks ken

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 11December 2011

vostoktrading

Hello Ken,

I have a Knife that is from the Vietnam era that looks like yours, at least in the blade. The handle is quite different though.

Best wishes, Jon.

General Apathy

post-344-1323850800.jpg

Hello Ken,

I have a Knife that is from the Vietnam era that looks like yours, at least in the blade. The handle is quite different though.

Best wishes, Jon.

Hi Jon, thanks for the information I take it you would be talking of the one piece stainless steel stamped knife that has most of the handle ommitted. Mine has a much heavier gauge wire handle, and also the blade is marked triple plated and it does have the appearance of quality plating rather than stainless steel.

The closest thing I have seen to my knife is a wire handled folding knife dated 1943 and used by boy scouts, mine however is stamped U.S. indicating government and military use ???

The quest goes on :think:

Hey Jon, Merry Christmas and I hope the snow doesn't get too heavy for you in Hawaii at this time of year. :w00t: :lol:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 14 December 2011

The closest thing I have seen to my knife is a wire handled folding knife dated 1943 and used by boy scouts, mine however is stamped U.S. indicating government and military use ???

Ken,

You have THE most unusual things in that old shoe box. I have never seen one of these. Was it used by the military?

Your thread is approaching 200 pages! Will we hit it today? :think: :w00t:

....Kat

General Apathy

post-344-1323882443.jpg

post-344-1323882479.jpg

Ken,

You have THE most unusual things in that old shoe box. I have never seen one of these. Was it used by the military?

....Kat

Hi Kat, the U.S. stamping is a pretty decent indicator of being an item used by the US military, I just checked the topic I started on the knife and it's had 132 hits but sadly no one has come up with any information or an identification for it. :crying: or even that anyone else has an example :think:

So back to your favourite part of this topic the ' then & now ' photo's, normally I start with an old photo and go find the same place as it is today, this time though we already saw the place as it is today and I have now found a second old photo with the same building in the background. This building we saw a few pages back with a Sherman tank stood alongside the building, today we see signal corps troops repairing the telephone lines. :thumbsup:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 14 December 2011

craig_pickrall
Ken,

....Kat

Kat, the page number count is a variable controlled by each member. For this thread my settings are coming up on 400 pages. It sounds like you have the default setting of 20 posts per page. Mine is set for 10 postst per page. The advantage is it loads quicker.

If you wish to change it go to the top of the forum and click on MY CONTROLS. Go to DISPLAY SETTINGS and under that you will see NUMBER OF POSTS PER PAGE. There is a pull down menu with several choices.

craig_pickrall

Ken, I have closely studied the sample of the camo pattern you sent. I think more study is required so if you have other views or samples of the item in question please forward ASAP. It is an interesting pattern in the way that it both conceals and reveals. Have you received any input from Ian?

vostoktrading

Hello Ken,

I must admit, I'm fishing here, hoping to be the lucky winner, page number 200! I trust, with my luck, that I'm just a bit short. I always pick the bad line at the market, the wrong day to take the highway (too much traffic). The worst day to renew my licence.

I must express my appreciation to you for all the wonderful things you have in your shoebox that you have shared with us. Thankyou! Jon.

Ken, I have closely studied the sample of the camo pattern you sent. I think more study is required so if you have other views or samples of the item in question please forward ASAP. It is an interesting pattern in the way that it both conceals and reveals. Have you received any input from Ian?

RD and I vote for.....Coastal Sea Weed Pattern,Sparse,Victoria's Secret. :thumbsup:

@ Craig. Hi Craig...yes I did make a suggestion but I think it would be censored were I to repeat it here! :lol:

From Major & Mrs Tony Holt's updated "Normandy Guide, 2011-12", page 18: " Le Shoebox"... a local landmark in the vicinity of Ste Mere Eglise owned and maintained by a British ex-Pat, Kenneth Lewis. "Le Shoebox" is a veritable treasure-trove of WW2 GI memoribilia. Viewing of said memoribilia is strictly by appointment only. Star rating: ***** (Available from Amazon, Barnes & Noble etc.)