Norman D. Landing

bilko1

the front entrance to the village church at La Haye du Puits, difficult to stand in the same spot as the original as this is now a major road traffic junction with much more and faster traffic than in 1944. :blink:

Ken,

I didn't know these "then and now" photo ops were so dangerous! Be careful.

It is interesting to compare the picture during the war with the one you made. The repairs to the church are amazing. They did a great job.

...Kat

Ken...you know how many of the churches in the area lost their spires during the battle as the Germans were using them as observation posts....and which were subsequently re-built after the war. Could be an interesting subject for some future "then & now" pics?

Ian :think: ;)

Hi Tom, well it could be the shortest distance you have made yet to participate in an event of the 2nd armored, how much space do you have at the ranch in case we overspill the Benning barracks. :lol::lol::lol: and where's your wifes cooking at ;)

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 7 November 2011

Kick the horses out of the pasture and light the bar-b-Q We'll roll out the red carpet.

Tom Bowers

General Apathy
Ken,

I didn't know these "then and now" photo ops were so dangerous! Be careful.

...Kat

Kat, ' it's a dangerous job but someone has to do it ', and all done with no safety net or wages :lol::lol::lol:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 10 November 2011

General Apathy
Ken...you know how many of the churches in the area lost their spires during the battle as the Germans were using them as observation posts....and which were subsequently re-built after the war. Could be an interesting subject for some future "then & now" pics?

Ian :think: ;)

Hi Ian, the problem with all good suggestions is that people should keep them to their-selves :think: :P:D

I was only saying a couple of days ago the problem with winning over a hundred million on the Euro lottery should one be so lucky, is that there is still only 24 hours in a day and you can't buy any extra hours. :crying: :blink:

ken

General Apathy
Kick the horses out of the pasture and light the bar-b-Q We'll roll out the red carpet.

Tom Bowers

Tom, if it came to it I am sure the boys would be happy enough in the pasture with a few plates of chilli beans. :unsure:

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1320964827.jpg

post-344-1320964862.jpg

Mulberry harbour sections .............

I the days after D-Day June 1944 large sections of floating piers and roadways were transported across to the Normandy beaches and connected up for unloading of men, vehicles and materials, much more can be read about these pieces on wikipedia if you google ' Mulberry Harbour '. :think:

Shown above are two photographs of floating roadway spans codenamed ' Whales ' being supported on pontoons codenamed ' Beetles '. The first photograph shows the Whales and beetles in operation off the shoreline of Arromanches in the British sector of the beaches. The second photograph shows these spans in current use, once the need for their use had ended by the capture of major European ports then these floating roadways were used inland to replace destroyed bridges. so well were they constructed and of high grade material then most of them have remained in use for over sixty years. :thumbsup:

ken

;)

General Apathy

post-344-1320965863.jpg

post-344-1320965894.jpg

Mulberry ' Whale' sections cont ................

Sadly after more than sixty years in use a lot of these ' Whale ' bridge roadway section are coming to the end of their working lives due to corrosion, health and safety issues and current road vehicle weight limits.

Many of the ' Whales ' are finding rescue by way of museums and wealthy private collectors. However not all are being saved in time before they are scrapped, yesterday I joined with other friends to do a day's voluntary work on helping to dis-assemble one of these sections being saved by the town of Vire, not far from St Lo.

The two photographs show the bridge presently residing in the council work yard waiting for renovation work to begin. Due to the heavy costs of employing council workers to complete all of this work then a charity organisation called the ' Friends of the Bailey Bridge Assoc ' have offered to do work voluntarily to help keep council costs to a minimum. :thumbsup:

ken

Chunky Monkey
post-344-1320964827.jpg

post-344-1320964862.jpg

Mulberry harbour sections .............

I the days after D-Day June 1944 large sections of floating piers and roadways were transported across to the Normandy beaches and connected up for unloading of men, vehicles and materials, much more can be read about these pieces on wikipedia if you google ' Mulberry Harbour '. :think:

Shown above are two photographs of floating roadway spans codenamed ' Whales ' being supported on pontoons codenamed ' Beetles '. The first photograph shows the Whales and beetles in operation off the shoreline of Arromanches in the British sector of the beaches. The second photograph shows these spans in current use, once the need for their use had ended by the capture of major European ports then these floating roadways were used inland to replace destroyed bridges. so well were they constructed and of high grade material then most of them have remained in use for over sixty years. :thumbsup:

ken

;)

Interesting and something I did not know! Thats incredible that they are still in use today. Thanks for the info General!!

General Apathy

post-344-1320967059.jpg

post-344-1320967126.jpg

Mulberry ' Whale' sections cont ................

These sections are approximately 80 feet in length and made up of sections bolted or riveted together. Our job for the day was to ' Crack ' the rusty threads of these bolts and remove them enabling the component parts to be sandblasted, repaired and re-assembled.

Last week our friend Nigel along with Christopher went down to the council depot and poured a small amount of diesel oil onto each bolt which should hopefully have helped in penetrating the rusty threads of the bolts ready for removal.

Seen in the photographs are Christopher Long ( green sweater / president Bailey Bridge friends ), Nigel Hay ( green coveralls ) Myself ( grey T shirt ) and Bill Twohigg ( brown sweater ).

So if any member has some spare greenbacks to help with the renovation project please let me know and I will find the appropriate department in the council and exchange details with one another. :thumbsup: ;)

ken

Thats a great job you and the guys are doing Ken, well done old chap. After the Baily bridge and the Mullberry sections I hear your next project is wire brushing and painting the old Pegasus Bridge at Benouville!!----- LEE.

General Apathy
Ken,

You do the most amazing things! I hope my retirement is half as fun as yours.

....Kat

Hi Kat, thankfully although retired I am not near retirement age yet and so that's why I am perhaps so active with all the projects I do, or get involved in and much fun they are. :thumbsup:

Wednesday I met two new people I didn't know through the volunteer restoration project on the Whale roadway section. :lol:

ken

General Apathy
You guys make everything look so easy........another lobour of love!! :thumbsup:

Hi JS, it's seasoned practise making everything look so easy, but I really do struggle in my ' lobour of love ' as you put it, as you also appear to do with the spelling of it :lol::lol::lol::rolleyes:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 11 November 2011

General Apathy

Old 1940's black and white movies .....................

For the last two weeks I having been enjoying little known 1940's and early 50's black and white movies on youtube, once you have found one then the links to many others appear.

This evening while eating supper I watched this 1945 feelgood film of the story of a returning soldier, there are many other military and war related storylines.

However the two that first got me started on finding these films were the story of the Spitfire aircraft ' First of the few ', and a pre WWII one that I enjoyed ' the Scarlet Pimpernel ' . There are some pretty interesting documentaries and historical subjects that are suggested as well. :thumbsup: ;)

so tonights little movie was Identity Unknown (1945) A soldier survives a bombing in which his three fellow soldiers were killed. When he recovers he discovers he has amnesia, and since his ..............

Identity unknown .. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0cQVyFiSp4...feature=related ;) :thumbsup:

First of the few ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ijTSenYJ-s :lol::lol: :thumbsup:

The Scarlet Pimpernel .. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H7v6JO_17k :lol: :thumbsup:

ken

.... but I really do struggle in my ' lobour of love ' as you put it, as you also appear to do with the spelling of it :lol::lol::lol::rolleyes:

ken

[/font]

GEZZ, I go out of my way to ADD the "U", and you can't overlook my "O" ! :P

What's this world coming too?? :rolleyes:

General Apathy
Just as long as it's not a bridge too far Ken!

Ian ;)

Hi Ian, if it should be a bridge too far then it would be in Holland, as this is a local bridge then it would have to be a bridge not far enough. :lol:

ken

General Apathy
Thats a great job you and the guys are doing Ken, well done old chap. After the Baily bridge and the Mullberry sections I hear your next project is wire brushing and painting the old Pegasus Bridge at Benouville!!----- LEE.

Hi Lee, ah the Pegasus Bridge at Benouville that I would be willing to work upon, just don't mention wire brushing and painting that tower in Paris. :w00t:

ken

General Apathy
GEZZ, I go out of my way to ADD the "U" to lobour of love, and you can't overlook my "O" ! :P

What's this world coming too?? :rolleyes:

Hi JS, apologies my liege, I was assuming that you had tried your hardest to spell it correctly, my deeper concern was that it really was intended to be read as ' a labour of love ' and not some weird Californian ritual thing as ' a lobster of love' :unsure:

your servant, sir

ken