Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

Hi Forum Readers & Friends.

Just a quick note to say that there will be no post's or emails until after the end of the month.

I will be out of touch until then, I am returning to England for a few days to see my daughter and friends.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, Jan 24 2009.

Now I wish I had the money to buy that house ...... :lol:

It has a lot of possibilities, but maybe the interior is too messed up?

Have a safe trip and thanks again for the posts here.

I sure find them very interesting.

Erwin

General Apathy

post-344-1233331794.jpg

Hi Erwin, thanks for holding the fort while I was away a few days.

To Fellow Forum members, I had to make an unexpected trip back to England for a few days. Once the reason for the trip was out of the way then I took the opportunity to call in at the village of Aldbourne where the 506th Regiment of the 101st airborne where stationed prior to D-day. Tomorrow ( Sat 1st ) I will be posting photographs of the barracks area mentioned by Donald Burgett in his book ' Currahee ', where he and fellow members of A Company, 506th were in barracks.

So until I have had time to download and process the photographs I will add the photograph above showing four ceramic tiles from my collection. The tiles show the different branches of the services, they could be used as regular tiles cemented onto room walls if required. However they also have on the rear a large printed cardboard sheet listing the other products of the tile company and a fold-out hook section for hanging from a picture hook as room decoration. The tiles were made by the Erickson Company of Des Moines, and titled Uncle Sam's Service Set.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, Jan 30 2009.

Wow! I'd love to be able to retire to Normandy, but at $376,630.32 for 100+ year old home that has 1 bathroom and 775 sq. feet, I might have to rethink my great idea! Somebody, please tell me that I've SNAFU'd the sq. meter to sq. foot conversion!:)

Neat looking house, and what a great place!

Thanks,

Thrasher

Fiche_MaisonAvancee_284.PDF

Hi Readers, Cont..........................

The details of the house mentioned in the previous post of paratroops passing through St Marie du Mont.

Norman, D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, Jan 23 2009

A little help here Lewis. I found my France map but can't find Ste Marie du Mont. I'm guess its too smal lto show on the map I have. Could you direct me. What town is it close to and give me directions from there. I'm kinda goofy that way. Everytime I hear a news storie on something that happened in a town I have to look it up. Still learning at 65. Robert

General Apathy
A little help here Lewis. I found my France map but can't find Ste Marie du Mont. I'm guess its too smal lto show on the map I have. Could you direct me. What town is it close to and give me directions from there. Everytime I hear a news storie on something that happened in a town I have to look it up. Robert

Hi Robert, If you can find Carentan which is at the base of the estuary between Utah and Omaha beaches and on the side of the N-13. To the left of Carentan on the side of the N-13 should be the village of St Come-du-Mont running away towards the beaches should be the D913 that runs all the way from the N-13 to the beach and passes through Ste Marie-du-Mont. Looking at the map it should be just to the left of the mouth of the estuary.

Hope this helps if not let me know and I will post a close up of the map on here, or maybe you could try to Google-earth it

Regards Lewis.

Those ceramic tiles are nice.

They would stand well in that French house, hehe.

No problem holding the fort for you, they know better than to mess with TD guy Erwin. :lol:B)

I'm wondering about something ..... do you still find old road signs there?

If I'm not mistaken, I saw a few in the Amblie area when I was there in 1994 (gee, so long ago).

Erwin

Hi Robert, If you can find Carentan which is at the base of the estuary between Utah and Omaha beaches and on the side of the N-13. To the left of Carentan on the side of the N-13 should be the village of St Come-du-Mont running away towards the beaches should be the D913 that runs all the way from the N-13 to the beach and passes through Ste Marie-du-Mont. Looking at the map it should be just to the left of the mouth of the estuary.

Hope this helps if not let me know and I will post a close up of the map on here, or maybe you could try to Google-earth it

Regards Lewis.

Thanks. I found where it should be but my map doesn't show it. Like I thought it probably isn't big enough. Need a better map but since I now know where it is thats good enough. Robert

Thanks. I found where it should be but my map doesn't show it. Like I thought it probably isn't big enough. Need a better map but since I now know where it is thats good enough. Robert

Robert,

Go to www.Google.com and click on "Maps"--top left hand. Where the cursor is blinking on the box, enter "Ste Marie du Mont France" and click on "Search Maps." Not only will you get it pin-pointed on the map, but you get photos of points of interest, satellite photos, etc. Good luck!

Robert,

Go to www.Google.com and click on "Maps"--top left hand. Where the cursor is blinking on the box, enter "Ste Marie du Mont France" and click on "Search Maps." Not only will you get it pin-pointed on the map, but you get photos of points of interest, satellite photos, etc. Good luck!

Thanks much it worked. Now I can find anyplace. Arn't computors great. Wish we had these things when I was growing up. No wait! With a young mans hormones I'd probably got in trouble. Robert

General Apathy

post-344-1233430676.jpg

Thanks much it worked. Now I can find anyplace. Arn't computors great. Wish we had these things when I was growing up.

Hi Robert, wish I could join you in your praise above for computers, I can't believe I am in trouble again with mine so soon after the last episode.

I have a Dell system with printer-scanner, anyhow I got ticked off with only being able to get ink mail order from Dell. So when I moved I disconnected the printer-scanner and put it back in it's original box and shelved it virtually unused.

Last night I sat and connected up a brand new print-scanner and photo printer to my Dell, come today to download and process photo's I took a few days ago of the barracks that Donald Burgett was stationed in, in England prior to D-Day, only to find the photo capture and process program has disappeared.

Oh how I would love to go back the the quill and paper, what you see is what you have, these bloody computers are expert at hiding stuff, you know it's in there or was but can't get it up on screen.

Apologies for not posting the photos as promised this evening, perhaps I tempted fate saying I would.

Oh well back to filling in my tax form at least that's ink and paper.

The photo above is one I took at Christmas of the flood plain that surrounds our village every winter, a picture of peace and tranquility

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, Jan 31 2009

Hi Ken: As i told you before, i think that picture is damn good, very atmospheric and profesional........517th

I agree!

Robert--you are welcome! :lol:

Ken, computers are like women--hard to live with them, but it would be tough to do without them after you get used to having them around ;)

General Apathy

post-344-1233527575.jpg

I agree!

Ken, computers are like women--hard to live with them, but it would be tough to do without them after you get used to having them around ;)

Gunbarrel, no computers and women are different I swear at computers but never at women, I'm just an old romantic, everyone say aahh .

Thanks for the echo on the flood plain photo.

Thraser, you still have plenty of time to buy a house and retire here someday your only a teenager in the scheme of things.

Erwin, I have not seen old road signs locally, but there are plenty of prewar ceramic ones cemented into the walls in Bayeux.

517th, Thanks for saying the photo of the flood plain is good, you must visit at Christmas next year and I will let you go swimming there.

As I have posted some answers to fellow contributors, to brighten the page here is a shot from my archive, of the damage fire from ships did to the Utah Beach Azeville battery.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, Feb 1 2009.

Great looking photos Ken. Love the own with the boat...as long as the waters don't lap too close to your perch, it's a beautiful scene. I always like seeing the then and now shots from D-Day, and of course other battles, as well.

Thanks again.

David

General Apathy

post-344-1233586292.jpg

Great looking photos Ken. Love the own with the boat...as long as the waters don't lap too close to your perch, it's a beautiful scene. I always like seeing the then and now shots from D-Day, and of course other battles, as well.

Thanks again.

David

Hi Dave, thanks for the comments. It snowed here today heaviest for eighteen years they reckon so I took a walk around the village and took photos, as they are not military related I will just show this one photo, taken in the same place as the last photograph with the boat moored on the flood plain.

So I hope that I have sorted my camera capture program again and will try to process a bunch of stuff this evening.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, Feb 2 2009

Hi Ken. Add about two feet to that and have it around since Nov and you see what I've put up with all winter. Thats why I enjoy you postings so much. Helps fight cabin fever. Robert

General Apathy
Hi Ken. Add about two feet to that and have it around since Nov and you see what I've put up with all winter. Thats why I enjoy you postings so much. Helps fight cabin fever. Robert

Hi Robert, thanks for the email about the snow where you live, I have to say that I LOVE SNOW, I love the fact that other people get it and we don't normally. :lol:

Enjoy the cabin time, take the opportunity to sort and display your collection. ;)

Cheers ( Lewis )

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, Feb 3 2009.

General Apathy

Hi Forum Readers, well finally getting to post the photographs of the village that is mentioned in Donald Burgett's book Currahee. I found the location of this village some years ago and was fortunate enough to find it at a time that it was unchanged from WWII. Unfortunately I didn't have a camera with me at the time as I was travelling between two places and there had been no intention to visit at that time, it was a rash decision made en-route.

So the village is Aldbourne in Wiltshire England, the house and grounds were owned by a retired Major and his wife, unfortunately the major had died and his wife had recently moved to a retirement home. The stables were all still there in the grounds of the house, and I met a young lady in the stable yards who had her horse quartered there.

The wooden stables were exactly as described in the book including the little metal chimneys and shaped rain-hoods, in the book Burgett mentions dropping small can's of gunpowder down the chimneys and waited for the heat to explode them, at which many of the men came running out into the stable yards with billowing smoke around them. In many of the stables were drawings and names of the unit billeted in them.

The following photographs are only what the village looks like today, I am sorry I don't have comparison wartime shots. The village is virtually unchanged, the one major change being the demolition of the wooden stables, which initially started with a small bungalow built in the stable yards, a number of the stables were left in two corners of the garden. These remaining stables have since been removed and shipped to the museum America, the bungalow has been rebuilt as a large house and covers all the stables area and courtyard.

If you Google-Earth Aldbourne, Marlborough, Wiltshire, U.K. you will see the location of this village within the U.K., when you have this up on screen there will be a small blue square shown below the word marlborough, click on this and you will find links to further Band of Brother connections.

General Apathy

post-344-1233671553.jpg

Hi Readers, Cont......................

Shown here is the English majors house and the gates into the stables and yard, which was to the left of the gate.

the house is pretty much unchanged perhaps new windows etc. Looking at the size of the trees they would have been there during WWII, I gave each of the trees a look over but could see no evidence of soldiers names carved in them. The gates are replacements and not the originals I first saw.

General Apathy

post-344-1233671852.jpg

Hi Readers, Cont.................

Shown here is the view into the second pair of internal gates leading into the stable yard, the garage

with the brown wooden doors was were the end stable of the one row would have been seen. The large

new house can be seen occupying the area where all the other stable had been.

General Apathy

post-344-1233672111.jpg

Hi Readers, Cont.............................

Seen here is the extension building of the pub that the troopers used during their time in Aldbourne, to the right is part of the wall that the stables were built behind running down to the gates in the previous photos. The size of the house can be seen covering the stable yard.

General Apathy

post-344-1233672298.jpg

Hi Readers, Cont............................

Seen here is the main building of the small pub next to the stables area.

General Apathy

post-344-1233672519.jpg

Hi Readers, Cont ...............................

The photograph above and the following two show the area of the village green and surrounding house which

is directly outside the gates of the stables and in front of the village pub which is to the right of the parked cars..

General Apathy

post-344-1233672648.jpg

Hi Readers, Cont ...............................

The photograph above shows the area of the village green and surrounding houses which is directly outside the gates of the stables and in front of the village pub.