Norman D. Landing

bilko1

Hi Robert, good luck with your print outs if you make a start on them, let us all know how long it takes . . . . . . . . .

I am always interested in which photos I post as to which ones get copied and which don't, and the number of copies made of photos I add. Sometimes amazes me when a non-military related photo gets several copies made of it, and something totally military never gets any copies made. .. ... . . . . . . I need help figuring that one out.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 1 2017.

p.s. couple of nights ago I was still on the forum around 03.45 AM, then realised that I had left the light burning when I went to bed :lol:

Man oh man! What the heck kind of lights do you have at your place?

Mikie

from the ' shoebox ' . . . . . . . . . .

It's been sometime since I posted anything from the shoebox, so being in the UK I took the opportunity to get into the box and take a few photographs, this shots features a selection of the longer bayonets and scabbards . . . . . . . . . . bayonet dates vary from 1907 through to 1942 if I recall.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, February 23 2017.

I'm afraid I don't know much about bayonets so am not familiar with the finer details of what you have here. I do have some bayonets in my humble collection, I have to admit that I have admittedly mixed feelings of fascination, awe, respect and dread when I see or handle them, unlike any other bits of militaria. The thing about bayonets, when you really think about it, is that with all the massive amount of men, material and resources that make up a modern army, the very tip of that bayonet is the ultimate expression of what war is all about. Guns, ships, planes, tanks all have a more or less separation between opponents. But when soldiers are close enough to have to use a bayonet, all that other stuff may as well not exist. Maybe I was stabbed by one in a previous life? I also have a few swords, but just don't have the same reaction to them. Strange, I know, but I rarely get accused of being normal.

Mikie

Normandy field finds .. . . . . . . . . ..

Len who has provided a couple of the photographs we have seen provided this one this morning, in 1979 looking into a filed of corn over a gate he spotted several things protruding from the soil, so he started gathering them up and seen here are the finds.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 6 2017.

Great ground finds! Thank Len for us!

A couple of months ago I watched the episodes of the TV show The Vikings that recreated the Viking attacks on Paris. In reality, the Viking ships may have passed over the same piece of water. That kind of history just boggles my mind.

Mikie

I have been out of the US once to Ireland. The one thing that struck me is how young of a country we are here in the US. Here we have items 100's of years old. Other countries have items 1000's of years old. It definitely does boggle your mind.

...Kat

General Apathy

Hi Everyone that has added comment since my last replies above, sorry to say I am off line for the rest of the evening and will post replies and possibly some other photos on Tuesday morning.

chin-chin folks ;)

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 6 2017.

Back in the day . . . . . . . . . . . . .

as there seems to be loads of hits and nothing new posted for the last three days, so I suppose I should add something.

Last night I received via email this photograph from Len the friend that took this shot of derrie and myself on the day we were Jeeping to Paris as part of a convoy of a hundred WWII vehicles, I had never seen this shot before so it was kind of Len to send it to me.

There were eight DUKWs as part of the convoy and one can be seen in the left-hand side of the shot, unfortunately due to the length of the convoy occasionally a civilian vehicle would get caught up in the line-up, such as the white truck on the left.

Great days, young, owned a Jeep, tank of gas, loads of vehicle friends, a girlfriend and the sun was shining. B)

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 4 2017.

Hi Ken, great photos, and always fun to look back to where we got inspired for the hobby! You certainly fuelled my passion for militaria with your Doughboy to GI book, which was revolutionary with its content! I purchased my copy from you at Beltring in July 1994, but was 'back dated' to June as a more "appropriate" date to meet with the 50th Anniversary of D-Day! I remember it very clearly, and still treasure the book!

Cheers, Graham

post-20528-0-27818000-1488878042_thumb.jpg

Hi Ken, great photos, and always fun to look back to where we got inspired for the hobby! You certainly fuelled my passion for militaria with your Doughboy to GI book, which was revolutionary with its content! I purchased my copy from you at Beltring in July 1994, but was 'back dated' to June as a more "appropriate" date to meet with the 50th Anniversary of D-Day! I remember it very clearly, and still treasure the book!

Cheers, Graham

attachicon.gifWP_20170306_17_47_10_Pro.jpg

mine is used so much it getting a little rough

General Apathy

Ken,

These pictures are very interesting. Even though it is 31 years later, it doesn't look like a lot changed. The wall is definitely gone but the church itself looks the same. I kept scrolling back and forth trying to make sure I was looking at the one from 1944 or 1975.

...Kat

Hi Kat, in 1975 very little had changed in the central square, the wall was gone but all the trees were there, most of the buildings had not been touched, lots of evidence of bullet strikes and age. In the intervening years between 1975 and now every building has been renovated I think it was council initiated, all pavements and roads have changed. Funny really that the whole world and his dog travels to Ste Mere Eglise due to it's historical interest and with restoration for anyone who has visited for forty years it could now be any village in France. . . . . . . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 8 2017.

General Apathy

A couple of months ago I watched the episodes of the TV show The Vikings that recreated the Viking attacks on Paris. In reality, the Viking ships may have passed over the same piece of water. That kind of history just boggles my mind.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, Normandy has history of the Vikings, the Romans and other settlers. A metal detectorist friend finds all sorts of historical memorabilia he started with his interest in WWII but now all pieces interest him, next time he visits I will ask if I can photograph some of his finds.

General Apathy

Man oh man! What the heck kind of lights do you have at your place?

Mikie

Mikie, actually I left the landing light on, thought it might attract a ghostly C-47 to drop in, sorry an old joke for some folk.

General Apathy

I'm afraid I don't know much about bayonets so am not familiar with the finer details of what you have here. I do have some bayonets in my humble collection, I have to admit that I have admittedly mixed feelings of fascination, awe, respect and dread when I see or handle them, unlike any other bits of militaria. The thing about bayonets, when you really think about it, is that with all the massive amount of men, material and resources that make up a modern army, the very tip of that bayonet is the ultimate expression of what war is all about. Guns, ships, planes, tanks all have a more or less separation between opponents. But when soldiers are close enough to have to use a bayonet, all that other stuff may as well not exist. Maybe I was stabbed by one in a previous life? I also have a few swords, but just don't have the same reaction to them. Strange, I know, but I rarely get accused of being normal.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, some while back in the blog there was greater interest in anything I posted from the shoebox, it just so happens that this time I featured bayonets, I possibly thought that the photograph would promote a few questions, as each one is different, with only the length being similar. I had thought mention of the unusual WWII USN ' plastic ' training bayonet might elicit some interest, and possibly a request for close-ups and some two way interaction which embellishes the blog rather than just myself posting everything.

I follow your thoughts on the purpose of bayonets, in a collection they are just an inanimate objects and far from their real purpose in life, and death . . . . . . . .

General Apathy

Great ground finds! Thank Len for us!

Hi Beast, thanks, pleased that you enjoyed Lens finds, he's sent me another two or three images I will post when I have time, off to school this afternoon for more French lessons . . . . . . . ahhmm. :huh:

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 8 2107.

General Apathy

I have been out of the US once to Ireland. The one thing that struck me is how young of a country we are here in the US. Here we have items 100's of years old. Other countries have items 1000's of years old. It definitely does boggle your mind.

...Kat

Hi Kat, you have been to Ireland, you may well have witnessed what many of the WWII US servicemen saw, how green the place was and often referred to as the Emerald Isle, the green lush colour of Ireland often commented on by the servicemen.

Funny how we each see things, you feel that the US only has things 100's of years old, and other countries 1000's of years old, well I then think of the Californian Redwoods some of the oldest trees on earth. We Europeans don't have trees this old we have always felled our trees for one reason or another, housing, heat, war, boats etc. I really would love to see those Redwoods.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, march 8 2017.

General Apathy

Cheers, Graham

attachicon.gifWP_20170306_17_47_10_Pro.jpg

Hahhaaaa Mr Fife, you have given yourself away, I now know who ' Graham ' is that has commented on previous posts. Good to hear from you, has it been about ten or twelve years since we last saw each other.

You bought the book back in 1994, seems a lifetime away now, hope you still have your collection which I remember selling you a few items for.

Nice to have you here posting comments.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondents, March 8 2017.

General Apathy

mine is used so much its getting a little rough

Hi Robert, well you should choose something else to throw at the television when it upsets you . . . . . . . . . ;)

General Apathy

Hi everyone, thanks to everyone that posted in the last two days, real pleasure for me to open the computer to find I have posts to reply to, I get bored only reading what I have posted. . . . . . . . . . as I am sure many other readers do.

;)

Hi Mikie, some while back in the blog there was greater interest in anything I posted from the shoebox, it just so happens that this time I featured bayonets, I possibly thought that the photograph would promote a few questions, as each one is different, with only the length being similar. I had thought mention of the unusual WWII USN ' plastic ' training bayonet might elicit some interest, and possibly a request for close-ups and some two way interaction which embellishes the blog rather than just myself posting everything.

I follow your thoughts on the purpose of bayonets, in a collection they are just an inanimate objects and far from their real purpose in life, and death . . . . . . . .

THE plastic training bayonet is on my wish list

Hahhaaaa Mr Fife, you have given yourself away, I now know who ' Graham ' is that has commented on previous posts. Good to hear from you, has it been about ten or twelve years since we last saw each other.

You bought the book back in 1994, seems a lifetime away now, hope you still have your collection which I remember selling you a few items for.

Nice to have you here posting comments.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondents, March 8 2017.

Hi Ken! I wasn't trying to be secretive, promise!! I remember visiting your shop a couple of times. Would have been more, but Bournemouth wasn't easy for me to get to at the time. Thank goodness for your mail catalogues (which I still have!!) Great excitement to receive them... before this internet shop thing..!! I last bumped into you in a Patisserie in Tilly in 2014 during the 70th Anniversary. I am booked to come over again in 2019 if I don't see you before!

My collection was once everything US WW2 to try and catch up with your book, but has migrated to USMC named uniforms and groupings. I have listed a few of my groupings here on the forum as McDuff.

Keep up the good work; love your postings! Cheers Graham

Hi Robert, well you should choose something else to throw at the television when it upsets you . . . . . . . . . ;)

Ha! You almost made me spill my tea with that one!

Mikie

General Apathy

THE plastic training bayonet is on my wish list

Hi Robert, just wondered how difficult these are to find now, so googled eBay ( just thinking if sometime in the way distant future people will wonder what the hell was google or ebay ?? )

start again, so just I googled ebay and there are three on there at this moment and one of them is priced up at 295 dollars, so maybe you slip your wish list in front of Boo after you cook her breakfast and see how that goes down . . . . . . . . sonic explosion heard in Normandy. :lol:

Im guessing the eggs will go down better than the training bayonet....lol

They are seen here at times for sale but finding a complete or intact one can be a difficult time. Most are broken at the muzzle ring or blade.

I have had a handful over the years most with damage.Finally found one locally at a farm auction stuck in a box complete with scabbard.Still had the price written on it and Im thinking it came out of a little surplus store here in town.

General Apathy

Hi Ken! I wasn't trying to be secretive, promise!! I remember visiting your shop a couple of times. Would have been more, but Bournemouth wasn't easy for me to get to at the time. Thank goodness for your mail catalogues (which I still have!!) Great excitement to receive them... before this internet shop thing..!! I last bumped into you in a Patisserie in Tilly in 2014 during the 70th Anniversary. I am booked to come over again in 2019 if I don't see you before!

My collection was once everything US WW2 to try and catch up with your book, but has migrated to USMC named uniforms and groupings. I have listed a few of my groupings here on the forum as McDuff.

Keep up the good work; love your postings! Cheers Graham

Funny Graham you saying you weren't trying to be secretive, someone else tried to be however, I remember a while ago someone asking here on the forum if I still had a certain shirt, to know that I had this shirt meant that they knew me, but they never let on who they were, or posted anything else again. . . .. strange.

OK back to meeting in Normandy in 2014, yes your right, I recall it now we were with two different groups of people, I think it may have been after the funeral of Peter Gray ( Peter started the MVCG / MVT groups ) we all agreed that as Tilly was so close to the funeral location and as Peter once took one of our vehicle convoys to Tilly we would drive over there and have lunch in Tilly in his memory. I think we were in a rush so you and I spoke for less than three minutes as my group dashed in and out the patisserie.

Anyway, always remember that the Marine Corp stuff was your primary interest, let me know when you here again.

General Apathy

Ha! You almost made me spill my tea with that one!

Mikie

'

hahha Mikie so have you become or are you becoming anglicised, tea and crumpets on the lawn at 4pm dear boy . . . . . :mellow:

Chin-chin old chap ;)

Those are some great bayonets posted.Great line up.

Some uncommon/early scabbards as well.

The One with cordovan/dark brown leather tip is a harder to find Marine example.

General Apathy

Im guessing the eggs will go down better than the training bayonet....lol

They are seen here at times for sale but finding a complete or intact one can be a difficult time. Most are broken at the muzzle ring or blade.

I have had a handful over the years most with damage. Finally found one locally at a farm auction stuck in a box complete with scabbard. Still had the price written on it and I'm thinking it came out of a little surplus store here in town.

Hi Ron, I have often wondered as to the reason or the practicality of having an easily breakable thin plastic bayonet, with reserved material and man power, would production not have been better served to have a standard metal bayonet and use it for all purposes as the army did. ??

As you so rightly say many are found damaged in some way or another. there always used to be a surfeit of scabbards about compared to the bayonets.

Ron, the eggs may go down as you put it, but the bayonet could always be used to retrieve them . . . . . . . . oopps :o