Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

post-344-1325020778.jpg

Continued Then & Now ..........

This is the monument located at the Carentan end of the causeway leading into town from St Com du Mont and ' Deadman's Corner ', late 1970's this was still open fields but since then the area has become the commercial section of the town.

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 27 December 2011

General Apathy

post-344-1325021337.jpg

Continued Then & Now ..........

This is the centre stone in the grounds of the monument located at the Carentan end of the causeway leading into town from St Com du Mont and ' Deadman's Corner '

ken

Good to get back on track Ken. We all enjoy a bit o' banter but this site is really all about history...and that's what you've just given us. Thanks! :thumbsup:

This evenings ' Then & Now ' is going to be slightly different to all the others that have gone before in this topic. Driving through Carentan Christmas eve I passed the spot of the monument to the ' Cabbage Patch ' fight and it brought to mind the days that I worked on the Band of Brothers episode featuring the cabbage patch.

Ken,

I am trying to remember which episode involved this scene. Can you please jog my old memory of the cabbage patch scene?

I love your posts!

....Kat

Good to get back on track Ken. We all enjoy a bit o' banter but this site is really all about history...and that's what you've just given us. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Ian,

True...true...true....

Personally, I did not have anything to comment on regarding the plaque with the woman's head! :lol:

You men... :rolleyes:;)

....Kat

Ken,

I am trying to remember which episode involved this scene. Can you please jog my old memory of the cabbage patch scene?

I love your posts!

....Kat

Hello Kat...I'd have thought you'd be familiar with that? Ooops...back into banter-mode again. Sorry!

post-8022-1325023362.jpg

i watched Band Of Brothers again last night. Today, we have the cabbage patch again..!! :thumbsup:

I watched if off and on yesterday too! It was a marathon of all of the episodes. I just can't remember the cabbage patch scene. Was it the one D-Day morning where they were getting the weapons and ammo off the dead paratrooper hanging from the tree?

....Kat

General Apathy

Ian, Thanks :thumbsup:

ken

General Apathy
Ken,

I love your posts!

....Kat

Hi Kat, welcome back this side of Christmas, thanks as always for your appreciation on the then & now posts, apologies for the sexist humour but men will be men, you know how it is when us men have to perform nightly here on the forum and the mental pressures it lays upon us, well that's my story anyway. :wacko:

this is going to sound weird in a way, when we we were filming it was not in the same sequences that the episodes were eventually shown, and it's all done in a disjointed way so I cannot recall where that scene appears in which episode, perhaps someone else can comment on that.

Also having supplied and worked at the locations then it all comes a little close and I have only ever seen the finished series once when it was first on television, I have never sat and watched it on DVD. ???? the other thing that happens when filming is how much shot film disappears from the final cut that the public see.

ken

General Apathy
i watched Band Of Brothers again last night. Today, we have the cabbage patch again..!! :thumbsup:

Hey JS, can you tell Kat please which episode has the cabbage patch sequence in, thanks in advance.

quite nice that you were watching the series last night and I chose that for this evenings then & now. :thumbsup:

ken

Hi Kat, welcome back this side of Christmas, thanks as always for your appreciation on the then & now posts, apologies for the sexist humour but men will be men, you know how it is when us men have to perform nightly here on the forum and the mental pressures it lays upon us, well that's my story anyway. :wacko:

this is going to sound weird in a way, when we we were filming it was not in the same sequences that the episodes were eventually shown, and it's all done in a disjointed way so I cannot recall where that scene appears in which episode, perhaps someone else can comment on that.

Also having supplied and worked at the locations then it all comes a little close and I have only ever seen the finished series once when it was first on television, I have never sat and watched it on DVD. ???? the other thing that happens when filming is how much shot film disappears from the final cut that the public see.

ken

Ken,

Great to see you are back posting then and nows, hope you had a nice xmas. I know excately what you mean with regards to filming diffrent scenes in diffrent sequences, as you soon loose track of whats what, as i work in the film world myself, but unfortunatle missed Band of Brothers.Just out of intrest Where did they film this scene?

Buster

General Apathy
Ken,

Great to see you are back posting then and nows, hope you had a nice xmas. I know excately what you mean with regards to filming diffrent scenes in diffrent sequences, as you soon loose track of whats what, as i work in the film world myself, but unfortunatle missed Band of Brothers.Just out of intrest Where did they film this scene?

Buster

Hi Buster, thanks for joining in and Christmas was great thanks.

funnily enough I had purposely removed the location from the drawing sheet so I couldn't be accused of leaking the location should the land owner have interested viewers clambering all over his land. The location was close to Chelwood Gate, East Sussex just off the A22 East Grinstead to Uckfield road.

The main sets were built at the Hatfield studios north of London, so all the buildings and villages facades used in the series were built there along with all the clothing and vehicle storage. I might add some of these photo's in the next few days.

ken

Hi Buster, thanks for joining in and Christmas was great thanks.

funnily enough I had purposely removed the location from the drawing sheet so I couldn't be accused of leaking the location should the land owner have interested viewers clambering all over his land. The location was close to Chelwood Gate, East Sussex just off the A22 East Grinstead to Uckfield road.

The main sets were built at the Hatfield studios north of London, so all the buildings and villages facades used in the series were built there along with all the clothing and vehicle storage. I might add some of these photo's in the next few days.

ken

Ken,

AAHHHH Yes i know where it was filmed ;) . Yeah i know the Hatfield set well as i only live down the road in Potters Bar (if you know it) But was to young at the time when they filmed it.

Buster

Ok Lewis. Your great at identifing locations. One of my favorite pictures is this group marching somewhere. I feel their heading to their ship to go on D-Day. Can you tell me which English city it is and where in England its located in reference to London and maybe if its a famous picture what unit it is. Robert

Sorry got to resize it

General Apathy

post-344-1325095022.jpgpost-344-1325095053.jpg

Ok Lewis. Your great at identifing locations. One of my favorite pictures is this group marching somewhere. I feel their heading to their ship to go on D-Day. Can you tell me which English city it is and where in England its located in reference to London and maybe if its a famous picture what unit it is. Robert

Sorry got to resize it

Hi Robert, ooohh you got me there, all I can tell you about this photo is that it's the US 1st Inf.Div, marching through the centre of Weymouth, heading for the loading dock half a mile further along the road on the left.

Weymouth is on the coast of the UK 135 miles south west of London, three hours driving at 70 miles an hour, it is also due west of Portsmouth by 83 miles and 1.45 hours driving at 70 miles an hour, the 70 miles an hour is regulated at a lower speed through built up areas..

The two photographs above are ' then & now ' comparisons I did in 2008 of the clock tower which is situated a hundred yards off to the right of your photograph from where you cameraman was stood. Note the 3/4 ton Dodge ambulance passing a sandbagged bofors gun defence, and the US Navy grey painted ships in the background.

afraid there is not much more I can tell you, oh yes I forgot the soldier fourth from left in your photo had fish & chips for lunch with a cup of char. ;)

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 28 December 2011

General Apathy
That's a well-known shot Robert. I believe it's Weymouth, on the south coast...jumping off point for D-Day.

Ian

Thanks Ian, you held the fort until I could get my post added :thumbsup:

ken

afraid there is not much more I can tell you, oh yes I forgot the soldier fourth from left in your photo had fish & chips for lunch with a cup of char. ;)

:lol:

What is char?

General Apathy

post-344-1325098301.jpg

Sorry got to resize it

Robert, additional information for you, while we have Weymouth as a location spot, then the cliffs near Burton Bradstock were the ones that the US rangers used for practising their assualts for the coming attack at Pointe du Hoc on the Normandy coast. Burton Bradstock is 22 miles or half hour drive west of Weymouth. These are the cliffs that sometimes feature in shots of the Rangers using amphibious DUKW's with ladders adapted from British fire engines, also using ropes and grapling hooks etc.

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1325098946.jpg

:lol:

What is char?

ahh Kat, the vagaries of the wonderful English language ' a wad and a cup of char ' were terminology used by British servicemen during WWII, a sandwich and a cup of tea. :lol::lol:

ken

ahh Kat, the vagaries of the wonderful English language ' a wad and a cup of char ' were terminology used by British servicemen during WWII, a sandwich and a cup of tea. :lol::lol:

ken

Ahhh.....It is funny how the same words mean different things in different countries. Here in the South, a wad is usually a wad of chewing tobacco! :lol:

....Kat