Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy
If I'm not mistaken Ken, that's Michel de Trez's dealership where we stopped off last year, isn't it?

Hi Ian, yes we did stop off there and take a look at the vehicles, I can't confirm ownership it's said to belong to Michel de Trez but I have never seen him there only at his museum at Deadman's corner. :think:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 5 December 2011

Hi Ian, yes we did stop off there and take a look at the vehicles, I can't confirm ownership it's said to belong to Michel de Trez but I have never seen him there only at his museum at Deadman's corner. :think:

ken

The dealership's name is misleading though...it implies that the vehicles sold are peculiar to paratroops! Lost in translation n'est-ce pas? :lol:

Ken,

Thanks a lot for your images from Carentan. Oh Jeez, how many times I wanted to visit this town and this famous (for us) Place at Carentan when I was in France. So far I have ever been too busy during my business trips to France to do it, but maybe some day... :rolleyes:

Thank you for this "then & now" pictorial.

Best regards

Gregory

General Apathy
Ken,

Thanks a lot for your images from Carentan. Oh Jeez, how many times I wanted to visit this town and this famous (for us) Place at Carentan when I was in France. So far I have ever been too busy during my business trips to France to do it, but maybe some day... :rolleyes:

Thank you for this "then & now" pictorial.

Best regards

Gregory

Hi Gregory, thanks for your comment, and don't stop looking, keep checking back in as I have several more comparisons of Carentan to add to the topic, it is a lengthy process though with capturing the shots, downloading, trying to process to show same details, resizing to forum allowances for posting etc, etc.

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1323092620.jpg

Jeep 70th anniversary 2011 ...............

Sunday 4th December 2011 an event was held at the Woolwich barracks, London to mark the 70th anniversary of the American Jeep. The organisers were hoping for 70 jeeps to attend and actually achieved 78 I am told by a Jeep friend Douglas that attended with his Jeep. ;)

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1323092698.jpg

Jeep 70th anniversary 2011 ...............

Sunday 4th December 2011 an event was held at the Woolwich barracks, London to mark the 70th anniversary of the American Jeep. The organisers were hoping for 70 jeeps to attend and actually achieved 78 I am told by a Jeep friend Douglas that attended with his Jeep. ;)

ken

General Apathy
Wow...Jeep thrills!! :w00t:

O.k., O. k. Ian, in the same vain.

' Jeep Shot ' :w00t:

' Jeep Crack ' :w00t:

' Jeep Trick ' :w00t:

ken

;)

General Apathy

post-344-1323104501.jpg

post-344-1323104665.jpg

Then & Now shot of Coutances .............

This evening's Then & Now comparison is the town of Coutances under two hours drive ( at today's speeds ) from the beaches of Utah and Omaha, it lies at the base of the Normandy penninsula possibly west of St Lo.

Numerous bullet stikes and post war repairs are evident on the front walls shown, just across the square at the town hall there are numerous unrepaired bullet strikes, most of the buildings surrounding the square are post war builds due to the amount of damage done in 44.

ken

General Apathy
Jeepers-creepers Ken. You're so quick witted!! :lol:

Jeepers - Peepers Ian, I saw it straight away. :lol::lol:

ken

Jeepers-creepers Ken. You're so quick witted!! :lol:

Ken,

I have not logged on all weekend so I am behind in my responses. I LOVE the "then and now" pictures of Carentan. It is nice and interesting to see how they repaired the buildings from the devastation of war. It shows how much the city has recovered and prospered since the war. It is a testament to that great town and generation.

This thread ALWAYS gives me a great chuckle. The sparring between all of you cracks me up every day!

....Kat

The cathedral was lucky to retain its spires...most were de-capitated by allied shell-fire as the Germans used them as observation posts, for obvious reasons.

post-344-1323040191.jpg

Today I had to drop down into Carentan to take some photo's of a WWII GMC that a friend in the UK was considering buying and he wanted extra photographs of it to make a judgement before booking a ferry and coming over to see it.

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 4 December 2011

You know, most people would say "I had to go to work today and file reports for 8 hours" or "I had to work the back 40 all day in order to get the crops in." But what does our friend Ken have to do? "Today I had to drop down into Carentan to take some photo's of a WWII GMC " Now that's the life!! :thumbsup:

General Apathy
Ken,

I LOVE the "then and now" pictures of Carentan.

This thread ALWAYS gives me a great chuckle. The sparring between all of you cracks me up every day!

....Kat

Hi Kat, thanks, I am just about to add another Carentan post at this moment.

But I do have to call your attention to the fact that we cannot just allow mention of sparring, not without Waveing, Waacing, Wacing, Wafing, Wowing and Usoing and various other branches of the women's services, bless em all. :thumbsup:

ken

General Apathy
The cathedral was lucky to retain its spires...most were de-capitated by allied shell-fire as the Germans used them as observation posts, for obvious reasons.

Hi Ian, good observation on the spires, I am not certain on the severity of the defence of the town at Coutances. ;)

ken

Hi Ian, good observation on the spires, I am not certain on the severity of the defence of the town at Coutances. ;)

ken

Just called inspired guess-work Ken! ;)

General Apathy
You know, most people would say "I had to go to work today and file reports for 8 hours" or "I had to work the back 40 all day in order to get the crops in." But what does our friend Ken have to do? "Today I had to drop down into Carentan to take some photo's of a WWII GMC " Now that's the life!! :thumbsup:

Erick, you just dont appreciate how lucky you are still going out to work, I only get seven Saturday's in my week, I don't get a Monday the start of the working week, I don't get a Friday which is pay-day of the week, having seven Saturday's all the damn day's are just the same., no need for a watch or a calendar. :w00t:

My friends in the UK refer to me as Monsieur Bastarde as they only have one Saturday and I have Seven. ^_^

Why don't you also have a go at Sabrejet, he just started a seven Saturday week back in June. :lol::lol:

If you want help on your back 40 let me know, the wages are crap here on the forum even with all the substancial increases of nothing that I keep being offered. :crying:

ken

General Apathy
Just called inspired guess-work Ken! ;)

Hi Ian, pleased to see that it's not expired, forum wouldn't be the same without you mon ami. :thumbsup:

ken ;)

Hi Ian, pleased to see that it's not expired, forum wouldn't be the same without you mon ami. :thumbsup:

ken ;)

Ken...if I was en France...I'd kiss you on both cheeks a la style Francais...(above trouser level you understand?!) :hug:

I thought the same thing. Very interesting pictures.....Kat

General Apathy

post-344-1323108557.jpg

post-344-1323108582.jpg

Carentan Then & Now Cont. ................

It's almost impossible to stand in the exact spots due to the square now being a car park, however I am quite pleased with this one this evening, just about got the church spire in the right spot between the building and the monument. ;)

ken

;)

General Apathy
Ken...if I was en France...I'd kiss you on both cheeks a la style Francais...(above trouser level you understand?!) :hug:

hey and if you were en France no tongues ( you understand ? ! ) :blushing: :bye1:

ken

It's almost impossible to stand in the exact spots due to the square now being a car park, however I am quite pleased with this one this evening, just about got the church spire in the right spot between the building and the monument. ;)

Ken,

This IS the exact same spot! How do you do it? Do you carry the picture with you so you can line it up? Or do you have a photographic memory?

....Kat