Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy
Ken,

Why would they destroy real aircraft while filming a movie? I thought they used dummies to destroy and not the real thing.

By the way, your eye for detail is amazing. I can't believe you can see an aerial photograph then find the same thing at street level.

....Kat

Hi Kat, unfortunately 633 Squadron was made while there was still an abundance of aircraft and airframes around from the war, but those 1950s and 60s films thought nothing of destroying them they were cheap and no cause to build replica's. The war was in living memory and people were not so sentimental about anything connected to the war, the films were not historical documents they were really just adventure films and occaisonally romance entered into them.

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 22 November 2011

General Apathy

post-344-1322172934.jpg

post-344-1322172955.jpg

Evening all another Then & Now .......

I still have several more T & N shots of Carentan to add but I passed through St Mere Eglise this afternoon and having an old image of this corner store in my mind I stopped to take a quick comparison, the original dates from around 1910 and today's is 2011.

I believe the thatched roof had been replaced before the 1940's but I have yet to find a shot from around that date, so although the roof was replaced the size, shape and location of the building was consistent through the years. There are plenty of shots of the buildings on the opposite corners of the crossroads but this one wasn't really captured photographically.

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 22 November 2011

General Apathy

post-344-1322232730.jpg

post-344-1322232753.jpg

Ken,

I didn't know these "then and now" photo ops were so dangerous :think: ! Be careful.

...Kat

Hi Kat, you said that you didn't realise that taking the photographs for ' Then & Now ' photographs could be so dangerous.

Well here's todays photograph and standing in the middle of the railtrack for the Paris to Cherbourg express :w00t: :lol: , this one is back in Carentan and I believe the buildings to the right of the Sherman were used as an aid station during June 44.

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 25 November 2011

General Apathy
Was the railway track there in '44 Ken?

Hi Ian, yes the track was there but not using overhead electrics at that time, if you take a look by the side of the telegraph pole you will see the red and white painted barrier in the vertical position. Carentan train station is just fifty metres to the left of my present photo.

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1322253915.jpg

post-344-1322253939.jpg

Carentan, Then & Now ............

A row of buildings in the main town square at Carentan, the points of focus are the two roof windows first building on the right of the photo, and the chimney's over on the left side of the photo. ;)

ken

General Apathy
Nice comparison Ken.

RC

Hi RC,

many thanks good to get a feedback. :lol: :thumbsup:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 26 November 2011

General Apathy

post-344-1322324341.jpg

From the shoebox .................

over the last few days I have been looking in the shoebox for items to add to Sabrejet's carded insignia topic ( see link ) well I came across an M-1938 despatch case in one of the corners and thought ' there should be another couple of those in here' and decided that they should be stacked together so here's what I found so far :think:

They date from top left 1940 to bottom right 1944, note the one in the centre has the US upside down, bottom right is a USMC version and next to it centre bottom row a USN version both marked inside the front flap.

don't know what it is about the style of these despatch cases that they interest me so much, love the little variations in them all, along with the different makers. :lol::lol: :thumbsup:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...=127954&hl=

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 26 November 2011

craig_pickrall

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=3536

Ken, will you please add photos of your map cases to the link above. Thanks!

I'm not sure why but the B&A photo above of the building with the blown out roof appeals to me as much as any you have posted in this series. Here in the US it would probably have been torn down but there it was restored to it's original appearance.

General Apathy

post-344-1322482937.jpgpost-344-1322482955.jpg

Ken,

Will you post some photos of the comparison of the French vs. Belgian MP's ? :rolleyes:

Hi JS, as requested here's a Belgian on his issue cycle, and a French gendarme. :lol::lol:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 28 November 2011

General Apathy
Nice! Have they all got their transparent grid overlays Ken? (Silly question?! ;) )

Hi Ian, as you said silly question, yes they all have their grids and straps :lol:

ken

General Apathy

I'm not sure why but the B&A photo above of the building with the blown out roof appeals to me as much as any you have posted in this series. Here in the US it would probably have been torn down but there it was restored to it's original appearance.

Hi Craig, thanks for the comments on the Then & Now photos, often the buildings were rebuilt virtually identical to their pre-war style.

Given time I will add the despatch cases to the topic link you added above. :think:

ken

General Apathy
Now where did YOU get that picture of my wife???!!???

Hi Johan, mmmmmhh it can't be your wife, what would your wife be doing as my French house-maid :rolleyes:^_^

ken ;)

Hi Johan, mmmmmhh it can't be your wife, what would your wife be doing as my French house-maid :rolleyes:^_^

ken ;)

is that the same as my American Rubbermaid :blink: Robert

General Apathy
is that the same as my American Rubbermaid :blink: Robert

nah Robert, this one walks and talks and her nick-name's ' wrench ' :whistling: , your rubbermaid just stores chilled cans :huh: .

ken

and made out of plastic and tin

A row of buildings in the main town square at Carentan, the points of focus are the two roof windows first building on the right of the photo, and the chimney's over on the left side of the photo. ;)

Ken,

This is a great "then and now" picture. I wish I had your eye for things. I just bought a new magazine, WWII Quarterly. It has a picture of Brecourt Manor as it looks today. I know I have told you this a million times, but I really enjoy these pictures. Thanks so much for posting them.

....Kat