Norman D. Landing

bilko1

I can personally vouch for Ken's fastidiousness as a housekeeper! Better luck next time Ken...the sight of your novelty "Asterix" boxer shorts draped casually over the furniture probably scarred her for life!! :w00t: :lol:;)

From the look of it they are Obelix

General Apathy

post-344-1321634247.jpg

post-344-1321634271.jpg

Pretty darn interesting Ken! Much safer to live there today I guess. ^_^

Hi Kevin, hhmmh safer you say, well a friends bed and breakfast house is built right where the bomb crater appears in the 1944 photo above the white arrow and all the debris and lost roof tiles can be seen.

Diane's business is called Maison Sebline and right in the heart of Carentan, safe enough now I would think but remember the 250lb aircraft bomb we found on Utah beach this time last year, still plenty of deadly stuff around but ok if you don't poke it.

Maison Sebline to make a booking please call us at (0) 233 437 526

If calling from Canada or USA please dial 011 33 233 437 526

We look forward to having you as our guests. Diane Payne

Other friends should have their holiday accomodation up and running for spring 2012 at Cretteville. ;)

I will add contact details to this running topic once it's available :thumbsup:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 18 November 2011

;)

post-344-1321634247.jpg

post-344-1321634271.jpg

Hi Kevin, hhmmh safer you say, well a friends bed and breakfast house is built right where the bomb crater appears in the 1944 photo above the white arrow and all the debris and lost roof tiles can be seen.

Diane's business is called Maison Sebline and right in the heart of Carentan, safe enough now I would think but remember the 250lb aircraft bomb we found on Utah beach this time last year, still plenty of deadly stuff around but ok if you don't poke it.

Maison Sebline to make a booking please call us at (0) 233 437 526

If calling from Canada or USA please dial 011 33 233 437 526

We look forward to having you as our guests. Diane Payne

Other friends should have their holiday accomodation up and running for spring 2012 at Cretteville. ;)

ken

Any interior shots ??

General Apathy
Two things come to mind about this young lady.

First, did you ask her to join USMF?

Second, did you try to get her to help clean house?

HaHa Craig :lol:;)

ken

General Apathy
I can personally vouch for Ken's fastidiousness as a housekeeper! Better luck next time Ken...the sight of your novelty "Asterix" boxer shorts draped casually over the furniture probably scarred her for life!! :w00t: :lol:;)

Hi Ian, I think you may have been a little fragrant in your description of my boxers, but right on the button that they would have scared her. :w00t:

ken

General Apathy
I can't believe she actually trusted you. Amazing!! :unsure:

first and foremost a gentleman Sir, a gentleman :thumbsup: :rolleyes:

ken

Hi Ian, I think you may have been a little fragrant in your description of my boxers, but right on the button that they would have scared her. :w00t:

ken

Your boxers have those little buttons?! :w00t:

General Apathy

post-344-1321640109.jpg

Your boxers have those little buttons?! :w00t:

Hi Ian, no sorry no buttons on these, but they do seem to grow on ya. :huh:-_-

ken

post-344-1321640109.jpg

Hi Ian, no sorry no buttons on these, but they do seem to grow on ya. :huh:-_-

ken

You always had a "nose" for a bargain Ken! ;) As this is a militaria forum, here's mine! :lol:

post-8022-1321644006.jpg

General Apathy

post-344-1321659459.jpg

post-344-1321659486.jpg

Carentan Then & Now Cont ...................

here we are looking in the bottom right corner of the 1944 aerial photograph of Carentan, which shows a row of houses and a large and smaller gate to the left of the houses, with a comparison shot of the same bulding and gates taken a couple of days ago. :thumbsup:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 16 November 2011

General Apathy

post-344-1321660078.jpg

post-344-1321660111.jpg

Again we are looking in the bottom right corner of the 1944 aerial photograph of Carentan showing one of the long buildings that was part of the school complex with a comparison shot of the same building taken a couple of days ago.

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1321724214.jpg

post-344-1321724242.jpg

As it's impossible without an aircraft for me to repeat this 1944 aerial photograph of Carentan then I have had to do the best I can on foot , unfortunately the building shown above could only be approached from the opposite direction of the original photograh.

So this chateau with the large chimneys has been shot from the direction indicated by the arrow, looking in that direction both the chateau and a square building with a grey slate roof to the side of it are repeated in my current comparison.

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 19 November 2011

General Apathy

post-344-1321725374.jpg

post-344-1321725400.jpg

As it's impossible without an aircraft for me to repeat this 1944 aerial photograph of Carentan then I have had to do the best I can on foot.

Fortunately the photograph above could be copied from roughly the same direction as the original photograph, and this is the tall house that appears to have four windows at the rear of it, around the front at street level it has large store windows at street level.

Whilst photographing these building in Carentan I have had to wonder what was actually happening within these buildings between 1940-45, French owned houses and stores, German occupied, resistance groups, fleeing allied airman passing through. Who knows now, the people with the memories of these days are passing on and this particular building appears to have stood empty for a number of years a sad end of a house that was once occupied by people and families now just empty rooms. :mellow:

ken

you really have the ability to locate stuff. Really enjoy looking. Robert

around here if a building is older than100 years they tear it down and build new

Chunky Monkey

And what became of Ellen? She abruply faded from the story. Could we se her doing some more modeling for us lonely old buggers?

General Apathy
you really have the ability to locate stuff. Really enjoy looking. Robert

around here if a building is older than100 years they tear it down and build new

Hi Robert, last weekend was a militaria show in the town hall at St Mere Eglise, I picked up a dozen or so images of places that I will now have to go out and find for then and now photo's. :w00t: :crying: ;)

Houses here at a hundred years of age are new comers, it's not unusual for those that didn't get obliterated during WWII to date back easily to 1600 and some maybe even late 1500's. A friend has been thinking of buying a house and has noticed that one of the granite lintels above a doorway has marks etched into it for plague deaths. :pinch:

ken

General Apathy
And what became of Ellen? She abruply faded from the story. Could we se her doing some more modeling for us lonely old buggers?

Aha dear Kevin, sorry to say that Ellen was only here for the day and by Monday in two days time should be back in her native Norway. :ermm:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 19 November 2011 [/font]

General Apathy

post-344-1321748234.jpg

Last weekend was a militaria show in the town hall at St Mere Eglise. I picked up several WWII dated maps that the Germans had reproduced using pre war French printers map plates when they occupied the country, dates are between 1941 and 1944.

The one shown above is for the area that became known as Omaha Beach, the edge of Utah Beach can be seen on the far left of the map and the small church of ' Madeline ' is shown close to the beach. This church I featured several pages back with then and now shots of American officers leaving the church after mass post D-Day 1944.

Other good maps I managed to get show the land between Falaise and Chambois which became known as the Falaise pocket, and another map shows the land between Bayeux and Caen with the German held Carpiquet airport in between.

Really lucky I managed to get several of each as they had never been issued, and I left all the more obscure towns and locations.

ken

Chunky Monkey
Aha dear Kevin, sorry to say that Ellen was only here for the day and by Monday in two days time should be back in her native Norway. :ermm:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 19 November 2011 [/font]

What a coincidence I just got done watching 633 Squadron! If you recall they sent a quadron of mosquitos into Norway to take out a rocket fuel factory. Good movie.

When is she coming back Ken? You got her number right? :think:

General Apathy
Ken...have you considered investing in a Micro-lite?! ;)

post-8022-1321725091.jpg

Thanks Ian, I already had my parachute accident in the 80's at Arnhem in Holland, I had four months off work but can claim I walked away from that one, let's leave it at that. :dry:

ken

General Apathy
What a coincidence I just got done watching 633 Squadron! If you recall they sent a quadron of mosquitos into Norway to take out a rocket fuel factory. Good movie.

When is she coming back Ken? You got her number right? :think:

Hi Chunky and JS, I think we need to move on now and get back to the subject of militaria before we get thrown in the pen. :w00t:

Talking of the 633 squadron film it's a sad statement to make but a good number of original mosquito aircraft, airframes, and spares were destroyed in that film. :crying:

ken