Norman D. Landing

bilko1

Caption "I wonder where I left that ball" .... or .... "I show him (umpire, referee or whatever they're called) where he can put that ball".

:devil:

Erwin

Home from my trip and catching up on the posts I've missed :w00t: Thanks Lewis ;) Robert

So I will add a picture. My Son at my Grandson's wedding. My son in his new Dress Mess.

post-551-1321411356.jpg

General Apathy
In all seriousness Ken, I actually do remember this poster from the 70s...this one and the one of Farah Fawcett were the big sellers at the time. And before you ask....no, I didn't ever have one! I was a newlywed at the time and don't think my young wife would've approved!! :lol:

Hi Ian, another one of my lack of foresight at the time, I could so easily have gotten a signed copy of the poster by both parties Martin the photographer and his girlfriend the tennis player. :crying: :lol:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 16 November 2011

General Apathy
Caption "I wonder where I left that ball" .... or .... "I show him (umpire, referee or whatever they're called) where he can put that ball".

:devil:

Erwin

Erwin, thanks ;) , well perhaps that's the end of this little distraction, better get back to finding something militaria related to post :think: , although this story did have a Jeep connection to it. :lol:

ken

Hi Ian, another one of my lack of foresight at the time, I could so easily have gotten a signed copy of the poster by both parties Martin the photographer and his girlfriend the tennis player. :crying: :lol:

ken

Ken...I'm tempted to use the word hindsight...but it might be misconstrued!! :lol:

General Apathy
Home from my trip and catching up on the posts I've missed :w00t: Thanks Lewis ;) Robert

So I will add a picture. My Son at my Grandson's wedding. My son in his new Dress Mess.

Hello Robert, so hopefully the wedding all went well, and your son looks striking in his uniform, wish him well with his future service in the forces. :thumbsup:

ken

General Apathy
Ken...I'm tempted to use the word hindsight...but it might be misconstrued!! :lol:

Ian, well that really must be the rear end of this particular topic, got to find something else to post about :think:

ken

craig_pickrall

Well, Ian and Ken, I'm happy to see this at an end. I was concerned you would get angry with each other and butt heads over this.

General Apathy
Well, Ian and Ken, I'm happy to see this at an end. I was concerned you would get angry with each other and butt heads over this.

Hi Craig, what us sir, no sir not us :twothumbup:

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1321484572.jpg

Then & Now feature, Carentan 1944 aerial shot ..................

so here's a shot of the centre of Carentan taken in 1944, the area that I will feature in the following post is within the white circle, as I don't have an aircraft the comparison is at street level taken this evening unfortunately after dusk.

Several other features to look at in this photograph, all the bomb damaged area to the left of the circle, a friend owns a bed and breakfast house right on the patch of the bomb damage. If you were to look at this house it looks as if it has sat there since the turn of the century almost fifty years before WWII, the French rebuilt in the style of pre war houses and utilised all the wood, stone and salvageable materials that they could. I will have to return in daylight and get shots of other buildings in the photograph, almost all are still exactly as they were when this photo was taken.

In the top right of the circle is a walled garden to the right of the road and a small chateau is to the right at the rear of the garden, whilst I was taking photographs in the street this evening the lady who lives in the chateau spoke with me and I have offered to return with a copy of this aerial photo for her. ;) Who knows I might gleen more information of carentan from this introduction.

On the left of the photo along the roadway running down the left of the trees is a stationery line of military vehicles, another line of military vehicles appears in the light patch of land just above the white circle.

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1321485429.jpg

post-344-1321485452.jpg

Cont. Then & Now feature, Carentan 1944 aerial shot ..................

so here's a shot of the centre of Carentan taken in 1944, the area that I will feature in the following post is within the white circle, as I don't have an aircraft the comparison is at street level taken this evening unfortunately after dusk.

Apologies for the size of the small inset taken from the large aerial photograph, in this photo the long wall on the right is windowless and several windows have been cut into this wall since the war as it is classrooms of a school now. At the left hand side of this long wall is another building of which the roof runs away from the road rather than in line with the road as most buildings do, to the left of this building is a wall with a covered archway into the walled garden of the small chateau. This archway appears just above the car on the left of this evenings photo

I hope that when I return that I will be able to photograph the small chateau from within the walled garden for another comparison photograph.

ken

General Apathy

Hi Manay, Chunky, Sabre and JS,

Thanks boys :thumbsup:

I spent the day in Carentan today walking the town and taking photographs, , a few I will add this evening in the next few posts, and possibly more in the next two evening. :think:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 17 November 2011 ( Daughters 20th Birthday :lol: )

;)

General Apathy

post-344-1321568910.jpg

post-344-1321568940.jpg

Carentan Then & Now Cont ...................

this first photo is the building seen in the left centre of the white bordered area of the 1944 aerial photo, note the bomb damage to the roof and the windows on the front of the building.

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1321569275.jpg

post-344-1321569242.jpg

this photo is the building inside the walled garden, seen in the top centre of the white bordered area of the 1944 aerial photo.

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1321569511.jpg

post-344-1321569674.jpg

this photo is the main house inside the walled garden, and seen in the top right corner of the white bordered area of the 1944 aerial photo.

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1321569932.jpg

post-344-1321569969.jpg

This photoraph is a shot of the lady who owns the walled garden and house stood beside a large tree that appears as a small bush at the tip of the arrow to the right of the white bordered area of the 1944 aerial photo.

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1321629847.jpg

So what's the chances ???? ..................... a day in the life of our correspondent

arriving at Utah beach early this morning in a neighbours car to let the dog have a run along the beach, and leaving soon after in the car of a 25 year old Norwegian girl I met just five minutes before on the beach. :rolleyes:

So enjoying a late night drink and barbeque ( November yes really mild ) across at my neighbours last night

it was agreed to leave early this morning to take their dog to Utah beach for a run.

Being up before daylight breakfasting and getting ready to join the neighbours in their car we head for the

beach. we took the dog to a more secluded area of the beach and allowed her to have an hours run around

on the beach barking and chasing seagulls.

We then drive over to the location of the Utah museum to have a coffee in the cafe there, when we arrived it all

looked rather quiet so I left the car and walked a hundred yards to the front of the museum to check it was open.

I thought I was the only person around and then this smart young lady approached and asked if I would use her

camera and take a shot of her by the USN monument. :think:

I was a little taken aback for a young lady to be visiting the Utah beaches alone to see the location of the D-Day

landings, she was from Norway and working in France for a couple of weeks in the St Lo area. She had hired a

car and driven herself up to the beaches and also wanted to see the cemetery at Omaha beach which she had

heard much about.

I told her that there was so much to see in the area as she appeared to sound interested, I offered to show her the monument to Band of Brothers as she had seen the series. So much to my neighbours total amazement I left their car and climbed aboard Ellan's car, I took her to the Band of Brothers monument, and then I gave her a tour of St Mere Eglise pointing out spots of interest. I then showed her the location of the cemetery on the road out of St Mere Eglise as we headed to my house to see my ' collection ' :pinch:

So here we come to What's the Chances of This having opened my mouth first and offering an invitation to the house to see my display cabinets and other pieces of collection I suddenly remember that I left the house early this morning and left it untidy. Last nights supper plates and this mornings dishes were scattered over the kitchen table and sink, a whole family of tee shirts had spent the night drying above the log burner, after showering yesterday's underwear had made it downstairs and half way across the living room to be abandoned on the back of a chair as I opened the shutters and turned on the computer. The bed room I had thrown the duvet's over the tail board to air the bed, shoes and slippers littered the floor in open warfare etc etc. and I won't go into all the other bits and pieces of untidyness. :crying:

Once again I have to ask myself why do we always invite people back when the house is a mess and it's not normally like that. :w00t:

A shot of Ellan at one of the monuments we went to ;) , before pointing her in the direction of the Omaha cemetery. and back to her hotel at St Lo., and me back to the house work. :thumbsup:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 18 November 2011

craig_pickrall

Two things come to mind about this young lady.

First, did you ask her to join USMF?

Second, did you try to get her to help clean house?

I can personally vouch for Ken's fastidiousness as a housekeeper! Better luck next time Ken...the sight of your novelty "Asterix" boxer shorts draped casually over the furniture probably scarred her for life!! :w00t: :lol:;)