Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

Hi Robert, I see that you made post number # 3000 on this topic, however you must have been lost for words nothing came up on the post you added. :huh:

Sorry, although you made post # 3000 the jackpot had already been spent my daughter called to say she needed

financial help towards a new car ???????? guess I will have to dig out some pieces from the ole shoebox and sell on to help with the car. :blink: parents huh a job for life :lol:

Hope all is back to normal for you pleased to see that you never mentioned any more about the flood you were expecting so maybe it all receeded I hope. :thumbsup:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 7 June 2011

Hi Robert, I see that you made post number # 3000 on this topic, however you must have been lost for words nothing came up on the post you added. :huh:

parents huh a job for life :lol:

Ken,

It looks like Robert did post something but typed his response within the "quotes" so it showed up as if it were in your previous post.

And as for parents, I still look at my Dad and say "Daddy". Daughters will ALWAYS need their Fathers.

....Kat

General Apathy
Well, although work was still going on, it was opened on June 6th....

The museum is really nice now!!

Here's the B26 Dinah Might on display...

Hi Johan, hey pleased to hear that you made it home that you posted in the other topic I am running on the fallen of Noramndy, so I replied here, and thanks for the Maruader photo in the museum.

Had a great time with you and the guys, Allan also enjoyed the evening meal we all had and good to hear that you all follow so many of the British comedy series in Belgium, most of what you mentioned are maybe twenty years old but classic entertainment even today., Dad's Army, Are You Being served, Allo Allo and many others.

Look forward to seeing you all again next year or sooner if you make it here. ;)

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1307473508.jpg

Good old Zane Schlemmer! I met him twice in the past weekend. Wonderfull man always open for a conversation! God bless him.

Hi Easy, pleased to hear you also got to meet him, he's eightysix and when I dropped him back to his car he was heading back to Paris to catch the flight out, amazing he's over here taking care of himself and bright as a button appears totally unfazed and having the time of his life meeting everyone what a great life for him.

A shot of when I first met him at the monument laying a flower wreath to one of the men he served with, a sad time for him, but a great pleasure to stand and shake hands for me.

ken

General Apathy
Ken,

It looks like Robert did post something but typed his response within the "quotes" so it showed up as if it were in your previous post.

And as for parents, I still look at my Dad and say "Daddy". Daughters will ALWAYS need their Fathers.

....Kat

Hi Kat, thanks for spotting that Robert's post had been included into the copy of my message, still reeling with my head in the cloud on this week and today's events and didn't spot that.

Pleased that you still have daddy to call and talk to, many of us would wish for that. ;)

ken

General Apathy
I fixed that.... The reply was indeed typed into Ken's quote...

Hi Johan, thanks for pulling Robert's quote out of the copy and fixing it for people to see. :thumbsup:

ken

Sorry, although you made post # 3000 the jackpot had already been spent my daughter called to say she needed

financial help towards a new car ???????? guess I will have to dig out some pieces from the ole shoebox and sell on to help with the car. :blink: parents huh a job for life :lol:

Hope all is back to normal for you pleased to see that you never mentioned any more about the flood you were expecting so maybe it all receeded I hope. :thumbsup:

ken

Sorry I posted my reply wrong and made work for you all. UI'm afraid the flood threat is still real and news sounds worse ever day. Missouri river is 2400 mile long with 6 Dams all releasing 150,000 cubic feet per second. Release may last into August and may be increased. Still packing. My wife and I have accumilated way to much stuff. My Militaria is in my camper and can be out of here in 10 minutes. Going to be a long long summer. Robert

Hey Lewis, its great to see the vets are still making the effort to come over to Normandy. Airborne all the Way........517th

Those are great photos, Ken.

I salute Mr. Schlemmer and thank him for being part in our Liberation.

Today, I received a small letter from my Veteran friend who was in third wave at Omaha Beach.

He's been having health problems lately, but still keeps in touch.

I'll write him a long reply this Friday when I'm home.

Erwin

General Apathy
Sorry I posted my reply wrong and made work for you all. UI'm afraid the flood threat is still real and news sounds worse ever day. Missouri river is 2400 mile long with 6 Dams all releasing 150,000 cubic feet per second. Release may last into August and may be increased. Still packing. My wife and I have accumilated way to much stuff. My Militaria is in my camper and can be out of here in 10 minutes. Going to be a long long summer. Robert

Hi Robert, no problem here, surprised you took the time to post as you are still in the red flood zone, we are wishing good things for you. :thumbsup:

ken

General Apathy
Hey Lewis, its great to see the vets are still making the effort to come over to Normandy. Airborne all the Way........517th

Hi 517th, Mr Schlemmer is eighty-six and lives in Hawaii and flew all the way here alone and hired a self drive car and drove the four hours from Paris and around here for the week and is hopefully winging his way home safely this evening.

Last words he said ' See you next year ' :bye1: :lol: :twothumbup:

ken

General Apathy
Those are great photos, Ken.

I salute Mr. Schlemmer and thank him for being part in our Liberation.

Today, I received a small letter from my Veteran friend who was in third wave at Omaha Beach.

He's been having health problems lately, but still keeps in touch.

I'll write him a long reply this Friday when I'm home.

Erwin

Hi Erwin, have you ever seen the website for the ' Silent Wings' museum in West Texas dedicated to gliders.

I think the gentleman from the museum said that there is a glider pilots conventaion in October or November. ;)

ken

Hi Ken,

I'm sorry for contacting you this way, but your Forum mail box is full. Did you get the photos I e-mailed you on June 2? You can e-mail me, or PM me for more details.

Best regards,

GB

post-344-1307457249.jpg

Hi Kat, even luckier still Mr Schlemmer came back to my house viewed a few of my collection cabinets, signed books for me and allowed me to have photographs taken with him on the steps of my house. :lol::lol::lol: :twothumbup:

Note the yellowish stone to the right of Mr Schlemmers head, top left corner that small dark spot is the head of a .30 when the house was attacked by members of the 325th GIR against the defending Germans, there are other bullet strikes around that area and behind the bush

ken

Ken,

Some good photos of Zane Schlemmer and your self, what a great story and your chance meeting with mr Schlemmer, like you say if you hadn`t been delayed you would probably have never bumped into him. What a grand old gentleman, and to fly all the way from Hawaii rent a car in Paris and travel to Normandy and tour the places where he fought, at the age of 86!! truly an amazing man. Back in the late 70s we were present with our WW2 vehicles when a large group of 508ers returned to Nottingham and planted a memorial tree in Wollaton Park, their old camp while stationed there, we spent a couple of days with them touring around, O.B. Hill was their group leader at the time i think he passed away several years ago, we had a great time. Keep up the good work Ken ,(the house is looking good too you`ve been busy!).Cheers LEE.

General Apathy
Hi Ken,

I'm sorry for contacting you this way, but your Forum mail box is full. Did you get the photos I e-mailed you on June 2? You can e-mail me, or PM me for more details.

Best regards,

GB

Hi Gunbarrel, Thanks for your post above, and my apologies for not replying sooner this 67th anniversary week has just been pulling me in all directions, the amount of friends that I have seen here this week and they all want to meet up for a meal or such, plus all the new contacts I have made. :wacko:

So yes I did receive your email, unfortunately I couldn't open the photo file so I have not seen the photo's but thanks for trying for me. :thumbsup:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 9 June 2011

General Apathy
Ken,

Some good photos of Zane Schlemmer and your self, what a great story and your chance meeting with mr Schlemmer, like you say if you hadn`t been delayed you would probably have never bumped into him. What a grand old gentleman, and to fly all the way from Hawaii rent a car in Paris and travel to Normandy and tour the places where he fought, at the age of 86!! truly an amazing man. Back in the late 70s we were present with our WW2 vehicles when a large group of 508ers returned to Nottingham and planted a memorial tree in Wollaton Park, their old camp while stationed there, we spent a couple of days with them touring around, O.B. Hill was their group leader at the time i think he passed away several years ago, we had a great time. Keep up the good work Ken ,(the house is looking good too you`ve been busy!).Cheers LEE.

Hi Lee, thanks for the mail and the compliments on the work on the house :thumbsup:

I think it was O.B. Hill that Mr Schlemmer was placing the the flowers for when I met him.

ken

General Apathy
Outstanding check in as always Ken :D

Mr. Schlemmer certainly seems like the gentleman that is depicted in the photos :)

Blake E

Thanks Blake, pleased you enjoyed the photo's. ;)

ken

craig_pickrall

Ken, you have certainly been busy. Thank you for the many photos of D-Day happenings. Looks like you had a great time. Very lucky to live right in the middle of it.

General Apathy
Ken, you have certainly been busy. Thank you for the many photos of D-Day happenings. Looks like you had a great time. Very lucky to live right in the middle of it.

Hi Craig, I just got back in the house at thirty minutes past midnight I have been stood on Utah beach for the last two hours shooting the breeze with a dozen 29th Div. re-enactors, guy's I know from the UK, along with one young guy from Sweden who has picked up on them.

The entire scene has wrapped up for this weeks celebrations, all the military vehicles and the re-enactors have gone, along with the very few veterans that managed to make it here.

Between now and September there will be a few people passing through but not the masses that have been here for the last two weeks.

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1307737271.jpg

Members and Friends.

This and the following shot show a couple of the militaria trade stands at the St Mere Eglise farmers hall June 3rd this year, there was some quality stuff there :thumbsup: , however there was much reproduction as well :blink: .

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 10 June 2011