Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

post-344-1301860643.jpg

Ken...I once saw a similar tin on "The Antiques Roadshow" (the original British version!) and as I recall it was valued quite highly as it was considered a rare piece. That, and a Huntley and Palmers one in the shape of a boat.

Ian

Hi Ian, I think the one that you are referring to on the Antiques Road-show was one in the shape of a small speedboat and yes those are a hard ones to find as once the biscuits had been eaten the children used the boat in the bath and so they eventually deteriorated and were thrown away.

Above are another couple of my brothers collection possibly mid-late 1930's, the earliest metal biscuit tins date from around 1860 I believe, WWII saw the end of elaborate shaped tins and thereafter they ware all simply round or square.

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 3 2011

It's a shame Ken. The shaped "novelty" tins were much more interesting and attractive. Your brother must have a helluva collection. Makes you wonder how many nice old biscuit tins full of nails and screws etc., are rusting away in garden sheds?!

Ian :think:

General Apathy

post-344-1302122297.jpg

Hi friends & forum members, a few months back just before Christmas I bought this car plaque of a fellow forum member ' Collector5516 ' ( Ben ) and I can say here that I am really pleased with it. :thumbsup:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 6 2011

General Apathy

post-344-1302122567.jpg

Cont. ............................

A week ago I happened to be at a militaria show in England and picked up three small original 48 star cotton flags and they fit the locating holes in the rear of the plaque, I now need to purchase a small wall bracket so I can display it ;)

ken

General Apathy
Lookin' good Ken. What about the hood of your pick-up truck!?

Ian ;)

Hi Ian, mmmhh sixty years ago possibly, today if it ain't screwed, bolted, chained, super-glued, cemeted or welded down you are probably going to lose it. :huh:

ken

General Apathy
Ken,

Very nice! I have never heard of these. I will have to see if I can find any pictures of them in use.

....Kat

Hi Kat, thanks I like it a lot, it's possibly the third one I have each different, I know that one of my plaques has five flags on it I need to check out the shoebox and get them up on the wall.

Would be really interested to see any photos of them in use on cars and such.

ken

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ken...here's another collectable vintage biscuit tin I came across...this one is by Huntley & Palmers.

post-8022-1302946034.jpg

Ian

General Apathy
Hi Ken...here's another collectable vintage biscuit tin I came across...this one is by Huntley & Palmers.

post-8022-1302946034.jpg

Ian

Hi Ian, thanks for the photo :thumbsup: ( first post added in ten days ??? ), my brother has this one in his collection and the really neat part of that is that he still has it in it's orginal cardboard carton.

The wings ' swing ' ( hey a swing wing bi-plane ) to line up with the body of the plane so that it will slide into the carton. The nacelle behind the propellar detaches to access the biscuits that would have been in there.

My brother has this displayed in a glass top coffee table in his collection room, not being on his shelves I forgot to take a shot of it.

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 16 2011

Wow Ken! I love seeing those biscuit tins from your brother's collection. Were those mostly a European trend? I don't know if I have seen similar tins made in the US. However, if I had seen the tank or airplane I would have fought hard to add it to my collection!

Love the hood ornament also. Great job adding the flags!

General Apathy

post-344-1302985715.jpg

He must have quite a collection Ken...after all those years in the business?

Ian

Hi Ian, a shot of some of my brothers tins dating from 1860 - 1940's. :lol:

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1302986806.jpg

Wow Ken! I love seeing those biscuit tins from your brother's collection. Were those mostly a European trend? I don't know if I have seen similar tins made in the US. However, if I had seen the tank or airplane I would have fought hard to add it to my collection!

Love the hood ornament also. Great job adding the flags!

Hi Beast, thanks for joining in with your wishes to own the tank and the airplane had you ever seen them. Yes they are more of a British trend than a European or American. There were many well known brands and companies in the U.K. that started back in the early 1800's and most of them survived until the 1960's -70's sadly many gone and many bought out by overseas buyers. Lots of the companies were well known throughout the world due to the British empire and sales to English speaking countries. About fifteen years ago I found an highly unusual example of a British tin in America and bought it for my brother as he didn't own an example.

Another shot of some more of my brothers collection ;)

Thanks also for your comments on the hood ornament plaque, it was great to get the correct size and correct star flags to add to it. :thumbsup:

ken

Ken is back! All is right in the world again!!!!

Now that is a collection of tins! Looks like the collecting bug runs in the family! ;)

...Kat

Hi Ken. Now... if your brother had a biscuit tin in the shape of an M-1 helmet, the proverbial switchboard would light up...know what I mean?!

Ian ;)

Johan Willaert

HI Ken,

Have you started spring cleaning yet? Inspection is due in about 7 weeks...

BTW are you still free Friday evening 3rd June?

Ken..I suppose this would be the modern equivalent to the patriotic automobile flag display you've featured in your post. Although they serve the same purpose, on balance, I must say I prefer yours!

post-8022-1303043469.jpg

Ian

General Apathy
Ken is back! All is right in the world again!!!!

Now that is a collection of tins! Looks like the collecting bug runs in the family! ;)

...Kat

Hi Kat,

yep collecting is in the family, my nineteen year old daughter collects collects shoes and handbags ????????? :dunno:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 18 2011

General Apathy
Hi Ken. Now... if your brother had a biscuit tin in the shape of an M-1 helmet, the proverbial switchboard would light up...know what I mean?!

Ian ;)

Hi Ian, when I ran my store I once had an American biscuit tin for sale although undated it had all the presidents faces around the outside ending with Roosevelt, so sometime in the 1940's. ;)

ken

General Apathy
Hey Ken, good to see you checking in and I hope you are well.

That tin collection is nothing short of epic! Very impressive on your brother's part :D

Hi Blake, thanks for coming in and adding comments to my brothers tin collection. ;)

All is well thanks :thumbsup: , been very busy helping friends with their house renovations so not been posting much lately. :blink:

ken

General Apathy
HI Ken,

Have you started spring cleaning yet? Inspection is due in about 7 weeks...

BTW are you still free Friday evening 3rd June?

Hi Johan, as you are aware I have been very busy helping out at our friends Tina & Allan's but should be o.k. for our 3rd June meeting. If you make it over to Tina & Allan's you will see it has altered tremendously. :D

ken

Welcome back, Ken.

Good to see (eh, read) you're doing fine.

Those biscuit tins are really nice.

Apparently a lot of people collect them.

If I had known your brother did too, I would have given him a few Belgian ones (from the 1950s onwards).

Unfortunately they ended up elsewhere. :(

Erwin

General Apathy
Ken..I suppose this would be the modern equivalent to the patriotic automobile flag display you've featured in your post. Although they serve the same purpose, on balance, I must say I prefer yours!

post-8022-1303043469.jpg

Ian

Hi Ian. I saw this idea in the States for a couple of years and then all of a sudden it was in England some years ago for the world cup, but it eventually became real un-cool to drive around with the the cross of St George flying on your car. :yucky:

ken