Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy
Definately not trying to hijack your thread, but maybe you heard about the 500 kilo bomb going off over here in Germany last June?

Respect to all Bomb Disposal people!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jun/0...war-kills-three

Hi D.A.T. no problems your welcome to contribute, it gets boring without some feedback and input.

Thanks for your link highlighting the dangers of this stuff even for proffessionals, I hadn't seen the news report and it's very sad that these men lost their lives so long after the bomb was dropped there. :salute:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 14 2010

General Apathy
post-551-1287029858.jpg

Hey Lewis. This is how my son says to dispose of it and He's EOD :blink:

Robert

Pictures small but I don't know how to make it bigger. Will try

Hi Robert, thanks for the photo instructions I think I will give that a miss though, it only looks a couple of steps up from the hammer technique.

I haven't managed to find a hammer yet with a longer handle, don't want to be too close, could get silly with a short handle. :huh:

ken

Hi Robert, thanks for the photo instructions I think I will give that a miss though, it only looks a couple of steps up from the hammer technique.

I haven't managed to find a hammer yet with a longer handle, don't want to be too close, could get silly with a short handle. :huh:

ken

Hi Ken,

You need Welsh Dave and a tree, no job too big........ obviously he would have to hit this with the tree instead of his usual method of hitting the tree with whatever live ordnance he happens to find.......

Kevin

General Apathy
Hi Ken,

You need Welsh Dave and a tree, no job too big........ obviously he would have to hit this with the tree instead of his usual method of hitting the tree with whatever live ordnance he happens to find.......

Kevin

Hi Kevin, haven't seen or heard of Welsh Dave in some time, I was making enquiries about him only a couple of weeks ago and it came back in the negative. :think:

ken

Hi Ken, my pleasure to contribute. I know this is a Normandy thread, and I'm an ol' Normandy freak, made it there four times so far. :thumbsup:

But the subject of ordnance in Europe got me interested. It's amazing how many allied bombs and other ordnance that is still buried in the ground here in Germany. Some of the German Forum members here can also tell you that when a village or Hospital, school gets evacuated because they discovered a WW-2 bomb at a construction site, it hardly makes the news.

I found two articles just to give you an idea what's going on over here, almost humoress, if it wasn't so serious.

http://www.thelocal.de/society/20101013-30447.html

http://www.thelocal.de/society/20090608-19783.html

So I'll let you get back to Normandy now. ;)

Thanks again,

Pat the D.A.T.

Hi Ken,

Kevin

Happy Days!!!!.......517th

Happy Days!!!!.......517th

Hiya.

keep a beady eye on those there hills, young Smiffy is hiking from Conway to Aber. , currently about 30 mile away having already done about 50 miles plus........ ,

Let me know when your close so i can be out....Joke..Joke.When you going to be here?????.......517th

Not me...... why the hell would I want to walk from Conway to Aber when the whole of the Ardennes is sat waiting there........

Young Mike is out there somewhere with one of his mates........ he just decided he wanted to go off for a bit of a walk , reckons their route is about 82 miles, mostly off road..........

Don't understand it myself, not as if there are any foxholes to explore on the way........

Should have noticed the `young` Smiffy. sorry old man ;) .......517th

Apologies to Lewis for taking over his Normandy Reports page :D .........517th

General Apathy
Should have noticed the `young` Smiffy. sorry old man ;) .......517th

Apologies to Lewis for taking over his Normandy Reports page :D .........517th

No apologies needed dear boy, as I have always told you the pleasures all yours, always has been and always will be.. :blink:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 15 2010

Hi Tomas, well lets wait and see what tomorrow brings when it is being dealt with.

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 13 2010

Hey Ken,

Yes tommorow will tell the story thats for sure another day's work for those Bomb Disposal Experts Team

keep us informed if you can anyways just to see what damage it did do in that location from where it was found any crators.

Best Regards

Tomás.

General Apathy
Hey Ken,

Yes tommorow will tell the story thats for sure another day's work for those Bomb Disposal Experts Team

keep us informed if you can anyways just to see what damage it did do in that location from where it was found any crators.

Best Regards

Tomás.

Hi Tomas, well I suppose lots would have liked to see some action, however there was none it was deactivated on site and taken to another location for blowing apart, so nothing to show or report sorry.

Here are two links to recent news reports one in France and one in Germany, the one in Germany actually ends in a controlled explosion, the one in France required 20,000 people in the city centre to be evacuated whilst it was was deactivated.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8515568.stm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11547964

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 15 2010

Dang Lewis. We were all awaiting that big boom. . I'm wondering how you de-activate something that old and rusty :think: . Have to ask my son if he knows cause he says they don't try. Just blow it in place. Robert

Dang Lewis. We were all awaiting that big boom. . I'm wondering how you de-activate something that old and rusty :think: . Have to ask my son if he knows cause he says they don't try. Just blow it in place. Robert

Must've taken a brave..or foolish..man to dig up a rusty, 65 year old piece of ordnance and cart it off elsewhere for disposal!!

Sabrejet :w00t:

General Apathy

Hi Robert, well you know how it is , perhaps the Big-Bang theory for the start of the world was just a fizz and not a bang, will have to check up with Craig Pickrall see what he can recall about it, I 've heard tell thst he had a pet dinosaur when he was a lad. :mellow:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 17 2010

General Apathy

post-344-1287346014.jpg

Must've taken a brave..or foolish..man to dig up a rusty, 65 year old piece of ordnance and cart it off elsewhere for disposal!!

Sabrejet :w00t:

Hi Ian, you say a brave or foolish man, well when I went to the beach to see what had been happening then right where the bomb had been was this chiselled off tail-fin ring, take a look at the top left side of the ring and you will be able to see all the clean shiny chisel strikes in the rusty metal. :huh:

ken

Hi Ken. A braver man than I methinks! "Hey, Pierre, mon ami. Take le 'ammer et chisel and strike le vieux 550 kilo bombe, s'il vous plait!" Sacre bleu! (avec les apologies to Inspector Clouseau!)

Ian :w00t:

General Apathy

post-344-1287346696.jpg

Hi Forum Members & Readers,

My neighbour Tony took his dogs to the beach again this morning and found this little interesting item laying in the dunes. This is a morphine bottle the very first one I have ever seen with the rubber cap still in place, probably seen a couple of hundred of the bottles over the years in shops, museums and private collections but the first one I have seen recovered with the cap still there.

Now what is also of interest with this bottle is that the cap has two puncture holes in there which might just be evident if you take a look, but the most interesting part is that it is stuffed with cigarette tobacco. Someone must have considered this a secure way to get his tobacco ashore and keep it moist but dry, which it still is when we removed the rubber cap and checked it.

I have to look at this with great interest in the ingenuity shown by some serviceman to carry his tobacco. ;)

ken

How big is the bottle Ken? I assume relatively small given that morphine was a powerful drug. So presumably our G.I. wouldn't have been able to roll many cigarettes or fill his pipe many times from its contents?

Ian

post-344-1287346696.jpg

Hi Forum Members & Readers,

My neighbour Tony took his dogs to the beach again this morning and found this little interesting item laying in the dunes. This is a morphine bottle the very first one I have ever seen with the rubber cap still in place, probably seen a couple of hundred of the bottles over the years in shops, museums and private collections but the first one I have seen recovered with the cap still there.

Now what is also of interest with this bottle is that the cap has two puncture holes in there which might just be evident if you take a look, but the most interesting part is that it is stuffed with cigarette tobacco. Someone must have considered this a secure way to get his tobacco ashore and keep it moist but dry, which it still is when we removed the rubber cap and checked it.

I have to look at this with great interest in the ingenuity shown by some serviceman to carry his tobacco. ;)

ken

Wow what a great find, something so basic but yet very personel to that GI.

As you said Ken very nice to see with rubber cap still in tact. So are you fortunate that your neighbour gives you this or has he got his own collection?

keep up the good work.

Buster

General Apathy
How big is the bottle Ken? I assume relatively small given that morphine was a powerful drug. So presumably our G.I. wouldn't have been able to roll many cigarettes or fill his pipe many times from its contents?

Ian

Hi Ian, how big is the bottle ?? :think: well it's about half the size of your computer screen if you take a look :w00t: :lol: , no only joking mister, sorry I don't have the bottle in front of me but a very rough guess would be just under three inches.

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 17 2010.

General Apathy
Wow what a great find, something so basic but yet very personel to that GI.

As you said Ken very nice to see with rubber cap still in tact. So are you fortunate that your neighbour gives you this or has he got his own collection?

keep up the good work.

Buster

Hi Buster, mmmhh my neighbours also a collector :(:lol:;) it's good to have someone local with the same interests :thumbsup:

ken

Hi Buster, mmmhh my nieghbours also a collector :(:lol:;) it's good to have someone local with the same interests :thumbsup:

ken

Mmmmhhhh that is a bummer, but atleast he sahres it with you, and it gives you something to chat about over the garden wall!!! ;)

Is most of his stuff things that he has found localy, as i find this stuff means more as you know where it has come from!

buster