Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy
Hi Ken...at a glance, just piece of "junk"...but with much soooo much history. Amazing! Thanks for posting.

Ian :thumbsup:

Hi Ian, thanks for looking, I forgot to mention that this has been in the hands of the owner since June 44 when he was a young teenager.

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 9 2010

forum_Glider_tow_bracket_Carquebut_9__2010.jpg

forum_glider_field_rope.jpg

Hi Forum Members & Readers.

Well working on that age old theory that one find or discovery can lead to another, then another, and maybe another then that's how I got to this discovery today. This is the metal towing attachment from the end of a glider tow rope, note the short lengths of telephone wire for connecting tow plane to glider.

The fantastic part of this discovery is that this was recovered from the field of crashed gliders in this iconic glider photo of D-Day June 6th 1944. :lol::lol: :thumbsup:

Tomorrow I am out chasing another lead to try and identify the buildings in a photograph taken in June 1944 but not identified at the time for the normal security reasons applied then. :think:

ken

What a neat artifact...does it now reside in your collection? Just a great piece of history!

General Apathy
What a neat artifact...does it now reside in your collection? Just a great piece of history!

Hi Dave, don't you think I'm wishing it was in my collection. how many people can find or lay their hands on an item as this one from a field in a D-Day photo.

I can't explain the ********** feeling :think: that seeing this has had on me today. ( I have no word to fully explain my feeling where I have added the astericks in the sentence before is it , funny, historical, weird, emotional, thoughtful, awesome )

ken

General Apathy
Hi Lewis, Not been on the forum for a while so just been reading through your last 14 pages, interesting and informative as ever.........517th

Hi 517th, welcome back, thanks for joining in again, don't be a stranger everyone enjoy's your posts of your fantastic airborne collecton, look forward to seeing some new additions on it. :thumbsup:

ken

Hi 517th, welcome back, thanks for joining in again, don't be a stranger everyone enjoy's your posts of your fantastic airborne collecton, look forward to seeing some new additions on it. :thumbsup:

ken

I second that 517th!!

General Apathy
Thank guys,good to feel wanted.........517th

Of course your wanted you silly boy, now have you got any D-bail helmets you don't want, I could do with a few and it looks like Sabrejet might like one. Don't think that anyone else wants one though.

Now get busy and get posting, show us some stuff from your collection.

ken

General Apathy

Well really pleased, we reached the figure of 380,000 hits on this topic last night.

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 10 2010

Congratulations Ken! Looks like you're heading for an entry in The Guinness Book Of Records!! People vote with their mouses (mice?!) , as it were. 380,000 clicks is a big endorsement and testimony to the always interesting nature of your posts!

General Apathy

post-344-1284115204.jpg

post-344-1284115054.jpg

400 000 next! :lol:

Erwin

Hi Erwin, thanks for your predictions for the future. :lol::lol:

Apologies that I don't have a lighter with Tanker or Destroyer insignia, this ones from my collection, sterling silver made in Paris 1945.

ken

Steve West can tell you about the decision in where to locate the cemetaries- which I am pretty sure was just "we're doing it here." Just don't go looking for the "slurry pit."

It takes forever to figure out where I am in your thread. Ever thought about startuing a new one every year? Or having the mods just give you your own topis section?

Seen here is a very famous and often used photograph taken within the first two days of D-Day, the field with the crashed gliders was eventually turned into the American cemetery, which work on burying the bodies started on the 7th June.

Although the cemetery was titled ' Bloseville American cemetery ', Bloseville is actually off to the top right of the photo, the boundary of Bloseville is the road in the centre of the photo running left to right. All the fields below the road running across the centre of the photograph are in the commune of Carquebut, the monument now standing at the side of the field is dedicated to the American cemetery in the commune of Carquebut, during the war the Americans were unawre of the boundaries of the local communities.

When the new auto-route N-13 was constructed it ran parrallel to the central road on the lower side of it using the ground of the field between the old road and the cemetery, the buildings at the cross-roads ' Les Forges ' mentioned often in wartime reports were demolished for the auto-route.

Note on the photo above there's a line of vehicles to the left on the central road, this road led to St Mere Eglise, with Carentan off to the right of the photo, Utah beach is beyond the top of the photo.

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 5 2010 [/font]

Ken-

Here is a period Signal Corps photo I have had in the collection for a while. Taken on July 18th (likely in the field you mention in your post above), it shows Omar Bradley and Secretary of War Stimson visiting the grave of Teddy Roosevelt. Seems like it fits in with this thread.

Greg

post-701-1284132188.jpg

General Apathy
No problem, I can always photoshop a TD patch over it. :devil: :smokin:

Erwin

:crying: :w00t: ;)

ken

General Apathy
post-551-1284123779.jpgpost-551-1284123793.jpg

I can tease you a little til Ken posts his TD stuff. My Dads Ike from WWII. Robert

Hi Robert, great uniform and a personal family memento of your fathers life. :thumbsup: ;)

Always loved the T5 rank chevrons, when I was heavily into living history displays thirty years ago, yep thirty years ago it was my chosen rank.

ken

General Apathy
Ken-

Here is a period Signal Corps photo I have had in the collection for a while. Taken on July 18th (likely in the field you mention in your post above), it shows Omar Bradley and Secretary of War Stimson visiting the grave of Teddy Roosevelt. Seems like it fits in with this thread.

Greg

post-701-1284132188.jpg

Hey Greg, welcome to the topic and thanks very much for the photograph that you added never seen that one before, I need to try and check up on the location of Roosevelt's burial not certain if it was at Blosville or not.

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1284145784.jpg

post-344-1284145809.jpg

Here's two then and now shots, not totally captured the exact angle as I didn't have the original with me at the time,

this is the field taken around the 8th of June approximately, at the beginning of burials leading to there being 6,000 there by 1945.

The farm at the rear of the photograph is not actually in the burial field it is over the road that runs at the rear of the field. The part of the buildin to the right of the farm with the two sky-light windows is a post war addition.

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1284147457.jpg

Steve West can tell you about the decision in where to locate the cemetaries- which I am pretty sure was just "we're doing it here." Just don't go looking for the "slurry pit."

It takes forever to figure out where I am in your thread. Ever thought about startuing a new one every year? Or having the mods just give you your own topis section?

Hi John, well sadly as we have mentioned before to one another, Steve West appears to have dropped out of sight and with all the research on many aspects of the U.S. WWII military that he had gathered over the years. :crying:

Attached photo a Steve West historical weekend camp, photo by Seimon Pugh-Jones.

Don't worry on finding your place on the topic, just drop in and out where and when you like, another 20.000 posts maybe and I can retire at 400.000 hits.

ken

post-551-1284123779.jpgpost-551-1284123793.jpg

I can tease you a little til Ken posts his TD stuff. My Dads Ike from WWII. Robert

A little, he said ...... :jeal0001: :jeal0001: :jeal0001:

Very nice jacket. :thumbsup:

Thanks for showing it.

Erwin

General Apathy

Hi Forum Members & Readers,

The memorial service for D-Day bag pipe player Bill Millin was held at Colleville Mongomery on the 11th September 2010, photographs of the pipe bands and floral tributes can be seen at the link below.

A sad day to say goodbye to a friend even sadder when the friend was a veteran involved in such a dramatic and traumatic part of history.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...84617&st=20

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 13 2010

General Apathy

post-344-1284758181.jpgpost-344-1284758207.jpg

Back in August I reported on a street market that I went to and showed all the militaria there was for sale there, as I said in post # 1356 I didn't actually end up buying any of the militaria, and came away with a small turn of the century enamelled men's urinal which I was going to use in the garden as a flower pot. ;)

So here's the ' then and now ' shot of the urinal. :lol::lol:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 17 2010