Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy
You did take a rubbing...didn't you Ken?!

Ian ;)

Hi Ian, I can drop by and rub it anytime I want, it's fifteen minutes from the shack.

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 1 2010

General Apathy
Just not WWII history in your neck of the woods Huh! Going to give you a few peaceful days as I'm going camping for my yearly Dove Hunt. Cheers Robert

Hi Robert, yup there's some real old stuff around here, twenty miles up the coast is the harbor of Barfluer where William the conqueror sailed from in 1066 to invade England.

Enjoy your few days away, but be careful out there now that your photo has been plastered over the internet on the forum here, you might get rock chicks swooning all over you and wanting autographs or stuff. :unsure:

ken

I vill saeeee dis only oncccee.

I heart ELO ELO ..........

Great posts .

I think my childhood had these images burned on my brain .........along with Jack Hargreves Out of town ......another classic .

owen

post-344-1283373335.jpg

Hi Forum Members & Readers,

Right a short history lesson, in 1430 ( that's a date and not the time on a 24 hour clock ) so in 1430 England owned almost half of France. In 1450 ( again that's a date ) there was a battle at or near the village of Formigny which is close to Pointe du Hoc, England lost control of most of France ( in the battle not a poker game ) and only retained the area around Calais, all part of the Hundred year war ( 1337-1453 in fact 116 years truthfully ) Joan of Arc and all that history.

On my way back today from the American cemetery at Colleville-sur-Mer ( Omaha Beach ) I called in at Formigny and took a photograph of the monument on the edge of the field where the battle was supposed to have happened.

The monument was put there in the mid 1800's, note however all of the WWII battle damage done to the monument possibly but either a German or American soldier hiding behind it for protection, you have to wonder with the amount of bullet marks on the face of it whether the person hiding there survived.

ken

Thank God we aren't neighbors!

You're doomed, I tell you, doomed! :lol:

Thanks for the history lesson, Ken.

Normandy has a lot more history than the D-Day Campaign.

When I toured the area, I took time to look at the non-WWII history there.

Loved it.

Erwin

General Apathy
I vill saeeee dis only oncccee.

I heart ELO ELO ..........

Great posts .

I think my childhood had these images burned on my brain .........along with Jack Hargreves Out of town ......another classic .

owen

Hi Owen, some of those television series are lingering classics for us, you can catch a lot of it on YouTube, and I have the complete series of ' Dads Army ' on DVD ' don't tell him your name Pike '

Good luck with your new game launch :thumbsup:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 2 2010

General Apathy
Thank God we aren't neighbors!

Hi Jake, we aren't neighbours cause you had a tea party and didn't want us to be there :crying: :lol::lol:

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1283414476.jpg

You're doomed, I tell you, doomed! :lol:

Thanks for the history lesson, Ken.

Normandy has a lot more history than the D-Day Campaign.

When I toured the area, I took time to look at the non-WWII history there.

Loved it.

Erwin

Hi Erwin, people say that I have been doomed for years, perhaps my whole life even :think: :lol:

Well here I am again this morning looking at history, on my dining room table. ;)

ken

Chunky Monkey
post-344-1283373335.jpg

Hi Forum Members & Readers,

Right a short history lesson, in 1430 ( that's a date and not the time on a 24 hour clock ) so in 1430 England owned almost half of France. In 1450 ( again that's a date ) there was a battle at or near the village of Formigny which is close to Pointe du Hoc, England lost control of most of France ( in the battle not a poker game ) and only retained the area around Calais, all part of the Hundred year war ( 1337-1453 in fact 116 years truthfully ) Joan of Arc and all that history.

On my way back today from the American cemetery at Colleville-sur-Mer ( Omaha Beach ) I called in at Formigny and took a photograph of the monument on the edge of the field where the battle was supposed to have happened.

The monument was put there in the mid 1800's, note however all of the WWII battle damage done to the monument possibly but either a German or American soldier hiding behind it for protection, you have to wonder with the amount of bullet marks on the face of it whether the person hiding there survived.

ken

There was an interesting show (Battleifeld Detectives) on History Channel yesterday regarding the taking of Pointe du Hoc by the Rangers 2nd. The area looked like a moonscape with craters after the shelling by the Allies. It amazing that some of these older monuments are still around at all.

General Apathy
Thank god you got no Armor or TD stuff ..... :whistling:

:dry:

Erwin

Errrmm, let me think about that one Erwin :think:

ken

Errrmm, let me think about that one Erwin :think:

ken

Erwin...are you familiar with the phrase "Red rag to a bull"?!

Sabrejet :whistling:

General Apathy
There was an interesting show (Battleifeld Detectives) on History Channel yesterday regarding the taking of Pointe du Hoc by the Rangers 2nd. The area looked like a moonscape with craters after the shelling by the Allies. It amazing that some of these older monuments are still around at all.

Hi Kevin, this is a good site titled ' Rangers ' plenty of good reports on the action and several aerial photographs taken at different times of the day on D-Day.

http://www.history.army.mil/books/wwii/sma...allunit-pdh.htm

ken

Erwin...are you familiar with the phrase "Red rag to a bull"?!

Sabrejet :whistling:

:unsure::blink: Eumm .... yeah ... :lol:

I got my bucket ready (to drool in) just in case ...... but Ken ain't no Trackhead so .....

Erwin

General Apathy

post-344-1283443287.jpg

I got my bucket ready (to drool in) just in case ...... but Ken ain't no Trackhead so .....

Erwin

Hey Ian, Erwins right, I have the need, the need for speed I go with the stuff that gets about quicker, anyway it's my daughter that's the ' trackhead ' in the family.

ken

Nice one Ken...a chip off the old block...you obviously raised her well! (And that's an M4A1/76mm if I'm not mistaken?!)

Ian :thumbsup:

Chunky Monkey

:thumbsup: Wow ~ I like girls and I like guns. What a great picture General!!

post-344-1283443287.jpg

Hey Ian, Erwins right, I have the need, the need for speed I go with the stuff that gets about quicker, anyway it's my daughter that's the ' trackhead ' in the family.

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1283446464.jpg

post-344-1283446387.jpg

post-344-1283446421.jpg

Erwin

Hi Erwin, as you suspected I can't recall what I have in the track family collection.

These and a couple of following posts are images I have on file without going looking in the shoebox, you may well have seen some of the stuff.

First pattern patch pocket jacket, collar dogs are British made, goggles used by tankers.

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1283446711.jpg

post-344-1283446741.jpg

Cont ......................

Tank destroyer pillow case and matches ;)

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1283446920.jpg

post-344-1283446937.jpg

post-344-1283446956.jpg

cont ..........................

Son in service tank, sweetheart tank, sweetheart tank destroyer.

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1283447884.jpg

post-344-1283447913.jpg

Nice one Ken...a chip off the old block...you obviously raised her well! (And that's an M4A1/76mm if I'm not mistaken?!)

Hi Ian, Lauren seemed to take to it all by herself, here she is modelling original WWII children's playsuits from my collection.

She made her own mind up about going to military shows and stuff, it's not something I dragged her along to, and I have always told her that she has to make her own decisions in life and not be prejudiced by mine, other than to be polite and courteous. :thumbsup:

ken

General Apathy
:thumbsup: Wow ~ I like girls and I like guns. What a great picture General!!

Hi Kevin, couldn't agree more, but then I am prejudiced with my only daughter, she was seventeen in that photo and will be nineteen November this year, seventeen days after my birthday.

I was laughing with friends two days ago that when I die my daughter will be the owner of an instant junk store. :w00t: :lol:

ken

General Apathy
As our TransAtlantic cousins would say...."SWEEEEET!"

And Ian, emulating our trans-atlantic cousins Oh Geeeee, Thanks :thumbsup:

You have to love em our cousins more often than not great people :thumbsup:

ken