Norman D. Landing

bilko1

Hi Ian, well if you can make a book, sorry make a Buck then go ahead. :twothumbup:

Ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 28 2010

Very droll!!

Ian :lol2:

General Apathy
Very droll!!

Ian :lol2:

Hey Ian, I added a post earlier for you regarding what was in the US Army wooden chest in post # 1541 so far you have passed no comment about it, I expected that you might have ' weighed ' in on it as you normally do :think:

ken

Hey Ian, I added a post earlier for you regarding what was in the US Army wooden chest in post # 1541

so far you have passed no comment about it, I expected that you might have ' weighed ' in on it as you normally do :think:

ken

The scales were in it?! Well hot-diggety-dog! You'll be telling me next that you have a Field Commode too! (I think I might regret saying that!!)

Ian :w00t:

General Apathy

post-344-1283070494.jpg

Hi Forum members & Readers.

Returning home early this morning along the Utah beach coast road I was taken by the sight of an almost full moon reflecting on the sea to my left and racing along with me as I drove along, it was a beautiful sight as the Utah beach bay is very long and wide and the tide was up to the beach wall.

Sadly the small pocket camera I have does not really capture the size and depth of the bay and the moonlight.

As I stood there looking out to sea the thoughts were that this was only a few hours before daylight, sixty-five years ago an armada of ships would be sailing through the dark heading for this shore to arrive at daylight, and the story unfolding that the world now knows of today. :think:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 29 2010

General Apathy
Ken

That truely is a great picture, it just looks so peacefull there and no one knew what was to come 65 years ago............

Buster

Hi Buster, thanks for adding comment, wish I had a camera that was capable of taking a better and clearer photograph, it's quite a thought provoking scene.

I am trying to visualise men in hot crowded ships trying to snatch sleep, amid the nerves and tension and possibly the last few hours of their lives and their memories of all that's gone before in those short young lives.

ken

General Apathy
When the morning came .....

Erwin

Erwin, Thanks

ken

General Apathy
Great posts Ken, love the beach shot! And that bunker is crazy!

Hi Blake, thanks for saying so, just saw that you beat me to the 506th album being sold on the forum :lol::lol:

ken

General Apathy
Just replied. Either the speedy fingers alone, or the glass of Vat 69 gold and vanilla Coke keeping me brightly awake and spry :P

Hi Blake, Well bought Sir. ;)

Now apologise for not being safely tucked up in bed like you should have been in your hemisphere :lol:

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1283286678.jpg

Hi Forum Members & Readers

Doing some work on the house today I found another bullet head in the stonework, looks to be about .30.

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 31 2010

I know seeing things like this first hand really makes WWII seem like it happened yesterday. On our state capital, there are stars where the cannon balls hit during the Civil War. It gives you a different image thinking about what happened when that bullet hit so many years ago.

Thanks for sharing, Kat

That's amazing Ken..a genuine battle-scar! Have you researched how your village actually fared during the Normandy campaign?

Ian

General Apathy
are you sure its old? Never know about you. Jealous husband? :think: Robert

Robert, there was the day, oh yep it was yesterday. :lol::lol::lol:

ken

General Apathy
I know seeing things like this first hand really makes WWII seem like it happened yesterday. On our state capital, there are stars where the cannon balls hit during the Civil War. It gives you a different image thinking about what happened when that bullet hit so many years ago.

Thanks for sharing, Kat

Hi Kat, amazing what there is to be seen if people take the time to look.

I was hoping to get to Louisville KY. next month but had to duck out of the trip for multi reasons. :crying:

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1283288798.jpg

That's amazing Ken..a genuine battle-scar! Have you researched how your village actually fared during the Normandy campaign?

Ian

Hi Ian, I spent several hours today sending photographs via computer to our amateur historian along with questions as to locations and possible locations. The photograph above we havn't managed to pinpoint exactly so far, the building that can be seen could have been demolished when the auto-route came through the area.

I know the village was taken by the 325th glider riders with General Lewis in charge who some months later died of cancer I believe.

It's said in the village that that little scene in the 1960's film ' The Longest Day ' where the French lady returning from her outhouse in the garden and whispered to by a trooper to keep quiet, happened here three houses from mine.

When I was signing the paperwork at the solicitors for my house, he passed comment that the village and my house had quite some history relating to WWII, however there is virtually no one left alive in the village that was here in the war.

ken

Hi Ian, I spent several hours today sending photographs via computer to our amateur historian along with questions as to locations and possible locations.

I know the village was taken by the 325th glider riders with General Lewis in charge who some months later died of cancer I believe.

It's said in the village that that little scene in the 1960's film ' The Longest Day ' where the French lady returning from her outhouse in the garden and whispered to by a trooper to keep quiet, happened here three houses from mine.

When I was signing the paperwork at the solicitors for my house, he passed comment that the village and my house had quite some history relating to WWII, however there is virtually no one left alive in the village that was here in the war.

ken

General Lewis?!...no relation of course...purely co-incidental? Your house could've been the regimental CP!

Ian

General Apathy
General Lewis?!...no relation of course...purely co-incidental? Your house could've been the regimental CP!

Ian

Of Course :lol:

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1283373335.jpg

Hi Forum Members & Readers,

Right a short history lesson, in 1430 ( that's a date and not the time on a 24 hour clock ) so in 1430 England owned almost half of France. In 1450 ( again that's a date ) there was a battle at or near the village of Formigny which is close to Pointe du Hoc, England lost control of most of France ( in the battle not a poker game ) and only retained the area around Calais, all part of the Hundred year war ( 1337-1453 in fact 116 years truthfully ) Joan of Arc and all that history.

On my way back today from the American cemetery at Colleville-sur-Mer ( Omaha Beach ) I called in at Formigny and took a photograph of the monument on the edge of the field where the battle was supposed to have happened.

The monument was put there in the mid 1800's, note however all of the WWII battle damage done to the monument possibly but either a German or American soldier hiding behind it for protection, you have to wonder with the amount of bullet marks on the face of it whether the person hiding there survived.

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 1 2010

General Apathy

post-344-1283373966.jpg

Cont ........................

Close up of the stone at formigny and the WWII battle damage..

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 1 2010