Norman D. Landing

bilko1

Weird ... I have that book too ... and it is signed by this illustrious author ... should we move these last posts to the "haunted section"????

Erwin

Erwin...we all knew he could type but write? :)

It certainly makes this treasure in print more special. Here is mine...

post-261-1282408017.jpg

General Apathy
Now lets see. Captured and rescued or hang there. Whats the best choice? Hmm

By the way I have that book also. Except mine is the second edition and sadly not signed. And its starting to show its age from all the use. Robert

Hi Robert, we were aware from other posts that you had a copy, and that you were trying to gather all the items featured on page 893 :think: , good luck with your quest and let us know when you get there. :thumbsup:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 21 2010

General Apathy
Lt...the sign of a good book is how dog-eared it is. It's like notches on a gun!!

Sabrejet :thumbsup:

Hi Ian,

Most forum members would prefer a warm gun, notches and all nine yards. :lol:

Ken

General Apathy

Hi Jake,

And ambidextrous when writing I believe :whistling: :bye1:

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1282570301.jpg

Hi Forum Members & Readers.

Yesterday a friend took his 1937 Citroen to a vintage car show in his local town, he was really interested in some of the other exhibits such as this original condition unrestored WWI ' liberty ' truck that was there.

Take a look at the militaria site nigel runs http://www.milweb.net/dealers.php quite a comprehensive site.

Ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 23 2010

General Apathy

post-344-1282570728.jpg

post-344-1282570704.jpg

Cont .........................

O.k. so you spotted in the photo in the previous post that there was another one to the right of the initial one, well in fact there were six of them at the show :w00t: , all WWI, all different, all unrestored, all owned by the same owner, a quarry owner. :lol:

Forgot to mention that the vintage show was close to St Lo, in Normandy.

Ken

General Apathy

post-344-1282571186.jpg

post-344-1282571205.jpg

Cont .............................

It might be possible to see in the photgraphs shown that all the engines are of a different design along with the trucks. ;)

Ken

Johan Willaert

WOW!! Now, that's great, Ken!!!

Would make you wonder how they survived another WW and another example of just how many things were left behind by the US Armed Forces after both WW...

Here's a picture of a restored Liberty Truck in the USMC Museum which I recently visited... Picture is a bit blurry because of the no-flash policy, but gives you an idea anyway....

post-92-0-89028800-1404138793.jpg

General Apathy
WOW!! Now, that's great, Ken!!!

Would make you wonder how they survived another WW and another example of just how many things were left behind by the US Armed Forces after both WW...

JOhan

Hi Johan, I have been kicking myself for the last thirty years, I was in Belgium back then in my Jeep and found I had a seriously damaged tire, some kind Belgians showed us the way to a breakers yard full of military vehicles and stuff.

The yard had around two hundred Landrover ' Minerva's ' specifically made for the Belgium army, at the far corner of the yard were twelve WWI Liberty trucks in pretty good condition, I obtained the new tire and got back to the rest of the group I was travelling with. I had never made a note of the location of the yard and all of those Minerva's and the Liberty trucks have become very collectible but long gone I would surmise. :crying:

Ken

Chunky Monkey

General Apathy I want to thank you for all the posts, information and wonderful pictures you have posted here! It is truly appreciated!

I am 44 years old and my grandfather, John Norman Metz never made it home from France. He was in the 1st Infantry Division ~ 26th Infantry Regisment (Blue Spaders) and was killed 5 July 1944 by German mortars and is buried in the American Cemetary in Normandy. I obviously never met him but would think that he would be happy that folks like you appreciate what they did. I have never been over to visit his grave but would like to someday. If you happen to be there one day please say a prayer for him.

I not a collector as you and others are (due to financial constraints) but sure do admire some of the pictures and posts. I have been able to put together a small collection of rifles that my grandfather may have carried. My treasured ones are M1, M1 Carbine and M1903A3 Rem all manufactured in 1943.

Again Thanks

Kevin Norman Metz

Bedford, PA, USA

General Apathy
General Apathy I want to thank you for all the posts, information and wonderful pictures you have posted here! It is truly appreciated!

I am 44 years old and my grandfather, John Norman Metz never made it home from France. He was in the 1st Infantry Division ~ 26th Infantry Regisment (Blue Spaders) and was killed 5 July 1944 by German mortars and is buried in the American Cemetary in Normandy. I obviously never met him but would think that he would be happy that folks like you appreciate what they did. I have never been over to visit his grave but would like to someday. If you happen to be there one day please say a prayer for him.

I not a collector as you and others are (due to financial constraints) but sure do admire some of the pictures and posts. I have been able to put together a small collection of rifles that my grandfather may have carried. My treasured ones are M1, M1 Carbine and M1903A3 Rem all manufactured in 1943.

Again Thanks

Kevin Norman Metz

Bedford, PA, USA

Kevin, sorry just going out for the evening, will come back to you later. ;)

Ken

My edition's dog-eared too. 1830/4500

post-4089-1282597624.jpg

It would be interesting to know where they all ended up... :D

Thanks Ken. :thumbsup:

Best Regards,

Prof

General Apathy
My edition's dog-eared too. 1830/4500

post-4089-1282597624.jpg

It would be interesting to know where they all ended up... :D

Thanks Ken. :thumbsup:

Best Regards,

Prof

Hi Prof, thanks for joining in, you wonder where they all went, well I can tell you that all the checks ( Cheques ) from the US Army, the USAF and US military museums were framed and hung on the wall.

The book was never produced as a money making project, it was intended to do with remembrance of veteran's and collector's of American uniforms and equipment of 1900 - 1945. ;)

Ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 24 2010

Eventhough I'm into WWII, I loved the sight of those Liberty trucks.

Pretty cool.

I'll post my signed copy of "Doughboy to GI" later tonight (hopefully).

I think it's numbered 860 or so and to be honest, I still think it is one of the "must have" books if you're into serious collecting.

Erwin

Well, everyone else seems to be doing it so here's mine too! 17 years old and still "up there" with the best. Job well done....thanks Ken!

post-8022-1282637581.jpg

Ian :thumbsup:

hbtcoveralls

I'd love to show a photo of my copy of Doughboy to GI, but I did a stupid thing years ago and leant my copy to a new re-enactor who promptly disappeared after a few events :( (think he joined the real Army). Danny C. If you're out there I want my book back! I always meant to get another one, but theyre really hard to find.

Tom Bowers

General Apathy
Well, everyone else seems to be doing it so here's mine too! 17 years old and still "up there" with the best. Job well done....thanks Ken!

post-8022-1282637581.jpg

Ian :thumbsup:

Hi Ian, shucks, lost for words, Thanks. :thumbsup:

ken

Johan Willaert

OK, so here's mine then....

DoughboyGINumber.jpg

I've always wondered if the 4500 copies were the entire initial print or just the signed ones....

And just how does one establish how many copies should be printed to satisfy initial demand.

Was 4500 a large number or were you making sure not to have too many unsold copies left...

JOhan

General Apathy

post-344-1282644151.jpg

I'd love to show a photo of my copy of Doughboy to GI, but I did a stupid thing years ago and leant my copy to a new re-enactor who promptly disappeared after a few events :( (think he joined the real Army). Danny C. If you're out there I want my book back! I always meant to get another one, but theyre really hard to find.

Tom Bowers

Oh Boy, Tom, Tom, Tom, what a mistake to make, back in 2001 sometime after the signed and numbered first edition copies of the book had sold out then second hand copies started to appear on eBay around the $300 range, there was one with a couple of torn pages that someone sold for $260. :w00t:

I think copies do come up now and again on eBay for less than the prices seen above, if you hang-fire and wait till

2011 if you come over for the 2nd Armored trip then I will sort you out with a copy, due to the weight of the book shipping costs are quite heavy also. ;)

ken

General Apathy
General Apathy

Again Thanks

Kevin Norman Metz

Hi Kevin, Thank you very much for your kind comments in the earlier post, pleased to see that somewhere between the stupidity that abounds in my reports that there are little parts that have some meaning for you.

If you would like to send me a message by the private messaging on the forum with details of your grandfathers

name and service number and any other details that might be useful then I will attempt to find and photograph the grave stone for you, and place a few flowers for you.

Ken

Hey Ken...how does this grab you? The person with the lowest numbered signed copy wins an all expenses paid trip to Normandy with the services of an expert guide! Whaddya think? Sounds like a winner to me!!

Ian ;)