Norman D. Landing

bilko1

Oh damn, gone and mentioned the shed without thinking about it :w00t: slightly bigger than a shoe box me thinks :crying:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 30 2010

Ken,

So you have a shoe box AND a shed! I would LOVE to see your house. What else do you have squirreled away on your property? :w00t:

...Kat

PS. And I too LOVE to see your daily posts. :thumbsup:

General Apathy
Aha! The shed. Hope you have a good lock on it. I think I told you my son is moving to Ft Drum NY for his next duty station. Last night stopped overnight in Erie PA. Was greated this morning to a broken out window in his NEW Ford Pickup. Lost a camera, old computor and winch for his Pickup. His Militaria was secure in his trailor and Guns were in the rear of the pickup with a locked cover. So it could have been worse. Robert

Hi Robert, sorry to hear the news of the damage and theft hope things improve for him when he gets to Ft Drum.

Better luck soon we hope. :thumbsup:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 30 2010.

General Apathy
HI Ken,

I pulled the small safety can out of my (much smaller ) shed, which you can see in the background. This one even has the US ORD brass tag on the front. Tell Nick that this one's not for sale, but if he needs one, I've seen them on occasion. Just funny we both have them out in the shed!

Tom Bowers

Hi Tom, thanks for the posting of your container I haven't seen that shape before.

You mention funny we both had them in the shed, well yes that's were it's kept at this property, at the previous house as there was no shed it was in the spare living room with the Jeep :lol::lol: photo's as and when I rediscover them ;)

Long story short, the Commie next door objected to my garage planning application as it was to store ' American vehicles of war ', ( I think she also mentiond KKK, drug lord, rapist and murderer and cookie salesman amongst her other dislkes of me ) as I had just spent two years reconditioning the Jeep I wasn't prepared to leave it outside in the elements.

So as we had only just moved in the house and the whole house needed a top to bottom renovation then I lifted out the patio doors and put the Jeep into a spare living for the time being. Funny the wife never dusted in that room :w00t: not until the Jeep was back out and the room redecorated.

It's been quite a colorful life so far. :think:

ken

I'm so glad you said that Ken! I don't feel so bad about having the Deuce-and-a-half in the dining room now!

Ian ;)

General Apathy
So what did this can actually do gentlemen?!

Sabrejet :think:

Hi Ian, as Robert stated they held a smaller limited amount of fuel to fill up the petrol burning stoves, and rather than use a regular unrestricted five gallon vehicle can with no quick shut off, these cans had a spring loaded cut off for emergencies

ken

General Apathy
Ken,

So you have a shoe box AND a shed! I would LOVE to see your house. What else do you have squirreled away on your property? :w00t:

...Kat

PS. And I too LOVE to see your daily posts. :thumbsup:

Hi Kat, pleased you enjoy the ramblings of a demented U.S. militaria collector. :wacko:

Maybe tomorrow I will let that squirrel out the bag and post some other pieces. :naughty:

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1280664443.jpg

Hi Forum Members & Readers, a few weeks back one of my long time friends bought a short wheel base 6 x 6 GMC truck which he intends to equip out as a mobile field kitchen as used in WWII

He is working from a WWII manual listing all the items required for operation of one truck, a cylindrical petrol can with large top handle with a spring loaded trigger operated safety spout cap. Which luckily for him I happen to have one stood in my garage and a photo of it is shown several posts ahead of this one.

Well I thought I would take another look in the garage to see if there were any other items that might be of use to him for his field kitchen. So knowing that he has always been on the tight side I figured that he would go for the cheaper cuts of beef and that these logging saws might be of use to chop the carcass.

What we are actually looking at above are WWII two man air-compressor operated logging saws, part of the equipment of the GMC LeRoi compressor engineeing truck, there should also be a pneumatic circular saw in there as well but it's hiding. Take a look at this link to see the tools and a leRoi compressor truck

http://www.wheelsofvictory.com/Gmc%20aircompressor.html

Ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 1 2010

Reason for edit : sort photo placement

General Apathy

post-344-1280664645.jpg

post-344-1280664670.jpg

Cont....................

The plates attached to the logging saws.

Ken

Reason for edit : rearrange photos

Ken...I could use a Type 1 Hydrovac Unit for my GMC. Could you have a quick look in your shed please...just in case?! Thanks.

Ian ;)

General Apathy

post-344-1280665268.jpg

Ken...I could use a Type 1 Hydrovac Unit for my GMC. Could you have a quick look in your shed please...just in case?! Thanks.

Ian ;)

Hi Ian, can't answer on the vac unit, but I did drag out this U.S.Army chest, sorry don't have time to add any more photo's of it at the moment :think: need to go out for the afternoon. ;)

Ken

Reason for edit : rushing to get out makes mistakes

post-344-1280665268.jpg

Hi Ian, can't answer on the vac unit, but I did drag out this U.S.Army chest, sorry don't have time to add any more photo's of it at the moment :think: need to go out for the afternoon. ;)

Ken

Reason for edit : rushing to get out makes mistakes

You're a tease Ken! So we all have to wait until this evening for the contents of the chest to be revealed?!

Ian :think:

General Apathy

post-344-1280680813.jpgpost-344-1280680792.jpg

Hi Forum Members & Readers, some weeks back forum member ' gunbarrel ' sent me some wartime photo's of Normandy I think this shot of St Marie du Mont may be one he sent me. I was passing through St Marie du Mont this afternoon so I took the time to stop and try to capture a comparison shot

Note the damage towards the top of the tower, on the right part of the dome and the balustrade has been blown away, and below American troops pass in front of the church. Inside the church is a display board showing wartime photo's and the story that inside the church was shooting between American and German troops resulting in German deaths and surrender.

Ken

Ian ;)

Forget about the shed. I understand there's a WWI airship hanger down the road. He's probably got that filled up too with his collection :lol: Thats probably his "shoebox". Robert

General Apathy

post-344-1280682698.jpg

Hi Forum Members & Readers, most weekends this summer just at the side of the church at St Marie du Mont are two Jeeps and this Citroen French army truck offering guided tours around the town in the vehicles, there's a quick ten minute ride or a more lengthy half hour or hour trip

Ken

Hi Gunbarrel, had quite a few dogs through the 70's - 90's all of them were rescues and strays, all of them fantastic dogs. ;)

These two black labs are Ben and Max, one day I took Ben for a walk over the golf course across the road from the house and was tailed by another black lab without an owner. He came home with me, we advertised everywhere but never found an owner and we named him Max.

After Ben died of cancer Max used to ride up front with me and loved his face out in the wind, dogs love open Jeeps.

Ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 27 2010

Hi Ken,

I'm also a dog lover. We currently have four dogs, three of which are rescued. My daughter wanted a Yorkie, so when she couldn't find one to rescue she bought one. Unfortunately, she had to leave her with us when she got married, as they could not have pets in their apartment.

This is a picture of our Yellow Lab, Layla. She was abandoned by the side of Highway 39 in Central Florida along with seven siblings when they were about two months old :disgust: The lady that picked them up took them to the vet clinic where my daughter worked at the time and that's how we ended up with her. She's a real joy, and in another time and another place she would have made beautiful puppies with Ben, or Max ;)

post-70-1280685484.jpg

General Apathy

post-344-1280692210.jpg

Hi GB, thanks for the photo of the dog, certainly looks contented, I don't understand cruelty to animals, my last dog was one of six from an abandoned litter, turned out to be another fantastic dog and companion for us and our young daughter. ;)

My daughter Lauren & ' Pups ' at the Band of Brothers studio ( 2001 :think: )

Still trying to checkout some of the locations of Normandy photo's you sent onto me.

Ken

General Apathy

post-344-1280740294.jpgpost-344-1280740319.jpg

So Ken...are you going to reveal the contents of "Pandora's Box" to us today?!

Ian ;)

Hi Ian, so let me tell you about yesterday afternoon while I was out in the Utah beach area. ;)

Firstly I called through St Marie du Mont and posted those photo's in the previous post above, as I drove along the beach road I came upon a commemorative ceremony at the French General Leclerc monument including WWII American military vehicles.

During WWII as France was occupied then nearly all clothing and equipment used by the Free French forces was American and English, at this ceremony which happened yesterday then all the French re-enactors were wearing and driving American equipment.

Ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 2 2010

Hi Ken. Must be great just to pop down the road and encounter stuff like this!

Ian

I would guess Ian thats why he lives there. Kind of like a fat kid whose parents own a candy shop. I'm not sure of driving times but would guess he's a day drive from, all WWII and WWI battle sites. For a collector and HISTORIAN of his level and Fame. He's the kid in the candy shop.We all owe him a great Thanks for showing and sharing with us. THANKS THANKS Lewis. Robert

General Apathy

post-344-1280823351.jpg

post-344-1280823099.jpg

Hi Forum Members & Readers

A couple more photographs from the 1st of August commemorative ceremony at the French General Leclerc monument at Utah beach including WWII American military vehicles.

During WWII as France was occupied then nearly all clothing and equipment used by the Free French forces was American and English, at this ceremony all the French re-enactors were wearing and driving American equipment.

Ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 3 2010

General Apathy

post-344-1280823661.jpg

post-344-1280823687.jpg

Hi Forum Members & Readers

A couple more photographs from the 1st of August commemorative ceremony at the French General Leclerc monument at Utah beach including WWII American military vehicles.

During WWII as France was occupied then nearly all clothing and equipment used by the Free French forces was American and English, at this ceremony all the French re-enactors were wearing and driving American equipment.

Ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 3 2010

Hi Ken...beautifully presented vehicles! I always feel that the fact that soooo many US WW2 military vehicles in such condition are still running today is testimony to their original design and build quality. That, and the sheer numbers produced, of course! If I lived over there like you I think I'd be walking around with a camera permanently in my hand because you never know what's around the next corner!!

Ian :thumbsup: