Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy
Be honest Lewis. Those are just toys you play with in your garden :laughing1: Robert

Hi Robert, no these are not my toys, funnily enough just posted my toys an hour ago take a look here for those.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry602627

Lewis

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 27 2010

Hi Thanks for joining in here with your fathers recollections of U.S. Army dental work and sadly his problems since.

If you have a photo of your father in his AAF days I'm sure forum members would enjoy seeing it posted here.

Ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 26 2010

Ha, this is funny. My grandfather was a Captain and dentist in WW2. He was a gentle,soft-spoken man who had arms like a Teutonic blacksmith. He probably got those muscles from wrestling soldiers for their molars. Good dental care was rare in the 40's and most people lost their teeth at an early age. Fortunatley, I still have all his uniforms.......the drills are long gone.

General Apathy
Ha, this is funny. My grandfather was a Captain and dentist in WW2. He was a gentle,soft-spoken man who had arms like a Teutonic blacksmith. He probably got those muscles from wrestling soldiers for their molars. Good dental care was rare in the 40's and most people lost their teeth at an early age. Fortunatley, I still have all his uniforms.......the drills are long gone.

Hi marr708, thanks for letting us know about your grandfather being a dentist. I had heard that for a lot of men joining the army was some of the first dental work they had ever had done, and possibly some of the best footwear they ever wore.

Ken

General Apathy

post-344-1280262687.jpg

post-344-1280262587.jpg

Hi Forum Members & Readers, attached above are two photographs of my insulated ' Marmite ' can the outside is regular o.d. paint, the inside of the container and the lid are enamelled blue with small white flecks, with 1944 date embossed into the inside of the lid.

Mainly used for temperature control and transport of food, period photographs can be seen of the same style cans being used for medical transport of blood supplies.

The inside will hold three containers and lids, these can be found in either zinc coated steel, or the aluminum versions as I have in this container and preferrable to the plated ones which can be prone to rusting

ken

Reason for edit: moved the photos, side by side too large for the screen.

General Apathy
I wonder what other things one might do with a chair like that.... B)

Hi Johan, it makes a good bar stool with an ice bucket and stand at the side, seen several vehicle shows used like that. :thumbsup:

ken

Reason for edit : it's been a bad day for posting, had to edit virtually every post I have done today

General Apathy
Think the grass could do with a cut ;)..........517th

Hi 517th, sadly the grass is having a hard time, a little drizzle and no real rain for three months has left the lawn covered in dead brown patches, needing very little cutting.

Ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 28 2010

General Apathy
Ah, I need to get on here more often. Every time I dip away for a day or so, the cool posts hammer on in :D Keep it coming Ken!

Hi Blake, obviously you must be out there enjoying yourself if you keep going missing for days at a time, thanks for adding.

Ken

Hi 517th, sadly the grass is having a hard time, a little drizzle and no real rain for three months has left the lawn covered in dead brown patches, needing very little cutting.

Ken

wish I could get a little less rain here. Over 8" this monthe alone including a 3.5 rain last week. Seems I have to mow every four days. And really muddy trying to get anything done in the veggie garden. Robert

General Apathy
wish I could get a little less rain here. Over 8" this monthe alone including a 3.5 rain last week. Seems I have to mow every four days. And really muddy trying to get anything done in the veggie garden. Robert

Hi Robert, Mmmhh it must be hell sat in the collection room polishing your prized possesions and seeing Mrs LtFrank out there tending the veggies in that muddy field, hopefully when she comes back in she appreciates your hard work and makes a nice hot coffee for you.

Remind your wife not to come in empty handed, if she hauls in a few logs for the fire on the first trip it will save her having to make an extra trip. :thumbsup:

Ken

Hey Ken...I wonder if any of our American buddies "get" the reference to Marmite cans in the British sense?! You either love it, or hate it...as the saying goes! (Personally, I love it!)

Ian :thumbsup:

http://marmite.co.uk

General Apathy
Hey Ken...I wonder if any of our American buddies "get" the reference to Marmite cans in the British sense?! You either love it, or hate it...as the saying goes! (Personally, I love it!)

Ian, for breakfast one of my friends makes hard boiled eggs, he then removes the shell scoops out the cooked yellow yoke, mixes it with Marmite and spoons it back into the cooked white part of the egg and eats this with a couple of slices of buttered toast and a cup of coffee and that's his start to the morning.

Maybe a new Marmite treat for you. :w00t:

Ken

Ian, for breakfast one of my friends makes hard boiled eggs, he then removes the shell scoops out the cooked yellow yoke, mixes it with Marmite and spoons it back into the cooked white part of the egg and eats this with a couple of slices of buttered toast and a cup of coffee and that's his start to the morning.

Maybe a new Marmite treat for you. :w00t:

Ken

Mmmmm....sounds de-licious!! I'll get the missus on it tomorrow morning!

Ian :yucky:

Is that reference to marmite kind of like me talking about my rubbermaid. Oh the english langauge. Isn't it a wonderful thing. Robert

General Apathy
Is that reference to marmite kind of like me talking about my rubbermaid. Oh the english langauge. Isn't it a wonderful thing. Robert

Hi Robert, your right I think I might own up to using Marmite, but I don't think I would like to talk about using a Rubbermaid. :w00t: Not in England anyway.

A video clip of the English comedy ' Only Fools and Horses '

Ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 29 2010

Reason for edit : adding the video clip

General Apathy

post-344-1280495269.jpg

Hi Forum Members & Readers, Had quite a laugh yesterday, a few weeks back one of my long time friends bought a short wheel base 6 x 6 GMC truck which he wants to equip out as a mobile field kitchen as used in WWII

So yesterday on the phone he was relating all the equipment he had so far found and what he was still looking for, he has already acquired three M-37 stoves, one of which is still new in cosmoline wrap, several of the pots and some of the preparation knives and ladles.

He is working from a WWII manual listing all the items required for operation of one truck, he then came to an item which he thought was going to be virtually impossible to find, a cylindrical petrol can with large top handle with a spring loaded trigger operated safety spout cap. :think:

Again he repeated that he had no idea where to start looking for one of these cans and asked if I had any idea where to find one, I let him ramble on about this can for a while and then jokingly I said to him ' I have no idea where your going to find one, but I know where I can find one' he asked where that would be, to which I replied ' in the shed at the bottom of my garden ' :w00t: The phone went dead for some moments and then he came back ' your kidding me ' so I sent him photo's, and heard in conversation with another friend that Nick thought he had won the lottery

So he's one happy bunny now, especially so, as I have several other U.S. Army WWII dated pots and baking trays.

Good to have friends sometimes :thumbsup: :lol:

Ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 30 2010

General Apathy
Nice story Ken. From shoebox to shed in one fell swoop!!?

Ian :lol:

OOOPS...double post...wouldn't send first click. Sorry! :blush:

Oh damn, gone and mentioned the shed without thinking about it :w00t: slightly bigger than a shoe box me thinks :crying:

ken

General Apathy
That's a nice thing to do.

I enjoy coming back here to have my daily portion of "Lewis' News". ;)

Erwin

Hi Erwin, pleased that you keep coming back, and that some of it interests you. :lol:

Always look on the bright side of life :lol:

ken

Aha! The shed. Hope you have a good lock on it. I think I told you my son is moving to Ft Drum NY for his next duty station. Last night stopped overnight in Erie PA. Was greated this morning to a broken out window in his NEW Ford Pickup. Lost a camera, old computor and winch for his Pickup. His Militaria was secure in his trailor and Guns were in the rear of the pickup with a locked cover. So it could have been worse. Robert

hbtcoveralls

HI Ken,

I pulled the small safety can out of my (much smaller ) shed, which you can see in the background. This one even has the US ORD brass tag on the front. Tell Nick that this one's not for sale, but if he needs one, I've seen them on occasion. Just funny we both have them out in the shed!

100_0546.jpg

100_0547.jpg

Tom Bowers