Norman D. Landing

bilko1

Hi Ken,

Today I scrolled through your topic for a few minutes......uuuhhhh hours......uuuhhh.....during "worktime"! ;)

Must say, loved all the stories, the "then and now" pictures and the recoveries from the former battlefield!

I collect now for 21 years and never visited Normandy.... :crying: :think:

Well, it probaly is going to change on short term.

Your pictures show that there is still a lot to see and even if you are not interested in WWII ( like my girlfriend ) then there is still enough to enjoy!

Your name did ring a bell.....

We never met, but I did know it from friends I know who recommended you as a dealer.

Later on of course from the book you published.

What I am wondering.......you mentioned in early posts that you stopped with your store in England ( if I have understood it correctly), but you haven't re-opened a shop in France?

If so, are you now concentrating on your personal collection?

Well, just to say "hello", to mention that I love the topic and keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

Best regards,

Henri

General Apathy
Keep on reporting my friend .

I dont care where or what you picture , its all good to me !!!

owen

Hi Owen, last time you added to the topic you mentioned visiting Normandy and you were looking forward to me cooking one of my specialties, all I can say you didn't get here soon enough, ' your dinner's in the dog '. :lol::lol:

Pleased you enjoy the stuff I post, hope you make it here someday.

Ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy correspondent, June 25 2010

General Apathy
Love that song. You need a dog named boo. Robert

Hi Robert, In my late teens I bought my first house off a friend who owned WWII Jeeps, he taught me how to rebuild Jeeps and we enjoyed many hours and months and years fooling around in the things and travelling all over.

Well he put his house up for sale as his family was getting more numerous, when I bought the house he threw in his dog named Blue with the sale, the dog had travelled many miles with us in the Jeeps and he was just the greatest of companions. That dog was also a babe magnet, young ladies would see him standing proud in the Jeep with his hind legs on the seat and his front legs on the bulkhead as the windscreen was always in the down position, his ears floating rearwards with the slipstream.

He disappeared out the garden one time when we were working outdoors on the Jeeps and he returned crawling, appears he had been hit by a car and his under belly was split open with his intestines and stuff hanging out. My friend flipped him on his rear and with his hands roughly poured the intestines back inside the cavity ( my friend worked in the genetics dept of the local university ) then we carried him upside down by his four legs to the veterinarians surgery a couple of blocks away, pleased to say he survived after they sewed him back up, and he later became my pet with the house purchase.

So I don't have a dog named Boo, but I had one called Blue. :thumbsup:

Ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 26 2010

General Apathy
Hi Ken,

Today I scrolled through your topic for a few minutes......uuuhhhh hours......uuuhhh.....during "worktime"! ;)

Must say, loved all the stories, the "then and now" pictures and the recoveries from the former battlefield!

I collect now for 21 years and never visited Normandy.... :crying: :think:

Well, it probaly is going to change on short term.

Your pictures show that there is still a lot to see and even if you are not interested in WWII ( like my girlfriend ) then there is still enough to enjoy!

What I am wondering.......you mentioned in early posts that you stopped with your store in England ( if I have understood it correctly), but you haven't re-opened a shop in France?

If so, are you now concentrating on your personal collection?

Well, just to say "hello", to mention that I love the topic and keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

Best regards,

Henri

Hi Henri, thanks for joining in on the topic, I have enjoyed many times my Jeep trips through the Low-Lands, the girls always appeared to be quite tall though. :think:

Hope you get here to Normandy sometime and see some of the sights I have shown you.

I finished the store in England, I didn't open anything here in Normandy, I became the unpaid Normandy correspondent for this forum, it fills the time. :rolleyes:

I don't do a great deal with the collection, it's all in the shoebox under the bed.

dank U wel, Ken

Hi Henri, thanks for joining in on the topic, I have enjoyed many times my Jeep trips through the Low-Lands, the girls always appeared to be quite tall though. :think:

Hope you get here to Normandy sometime and see some of the sights I have shown you.

I finished the store in England, I didn't open anything here in Normandy, I became the unpaid Normandy correspondent for this forum, it fills the time. :rolleyes:

I don't do a great deal with the collection, it's all in the shoebox under the bed.

dank U wel, Ken

ITS ALL IN THE SHOEBOX UNDER THE BED :blink: Ya sure. Anybody the believes that just needs to scroll back through this posting and see pictures of his collection in his house(Castle) and attic. ;) Robert

Corpl. Cleaver

Robert,

It is just a very LARGE shoe box....

Ken,

keep it coming, I love to see what you post. If I ever have to time and money I will have to come over and see all the places that I have read about in the books.

But until then, you are doing a great job of showing all of us the country and what remains there from the war.

Thanks and keep it coming,

Tyler

Corpl. Cleaver

:devil: POST 666 :devil: anyway...

Started looking through this thread... I'm on page 24, I'll have to do the other half tomorrow. When I have LOTS of time I will read every post, but for now I am happy to look at photos and read captions.

Tyler

The Meatcan
post-344-1277462888.jpgpost-344-1277462905.jpg

Hi Forum Members & Readers,

Every D-Day anniversary each year there is a multi national parachute drop just outside St Mere Eglise, the drop-zone is midway between St Mere Eglise and my house.

The two attached photo's were taken from the garden of my house, the one photo shows the back of my pick-up with American flag laid out, the second photo shows one of the drop planes circling above my house for the return leg. Several of the American planes gave a great wing waggle as they passed over the flag, and also a wave from the jump master stood in the doorway :thumbsup:

Ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 24 2010

Great idea to lay out the flag like that. And what an incredible response by the airmen! I got goosebumps just thinking of how awesome your exchange of salutes turned out. Very very neat little story Ken! :thumbsup:

Terry

When Ken mentions his now legendary "shoe-box" he 's too modest to say that it once actually contained Seven League Boots...if you catch my drift!?

Sabrejet ;)

General Apathy
ITS ALL IN THE SHOEBOX UNDER THE BED :blink: Ya sure. Anybody the believes that just needs to scroll back through this posting and see pictures of his collection in his house(Castle) and attic. ;) Robert

Hi Robert, I mentioned before that it was a size 9 shoebox ( 43 European ) apologies maybe I forgot to mention it's a triple EEE width fitting. :lol:

Cheers lewis

General Apathy

post-344-1277542547.jpg

Robert,

It is just a very LARGE shoe box....

Ken,

keep it coming, I love to see what you post. If I ever have to time and money I will have to come over and see all the places that I have read about in the books.

But until then, you are doing a great job of showing all of us the country and what remains there from the war.

Thanks and keep it coming,

Tyler

Hi Tyler, I am sure you will make it over here sometime, and maybe you will see even more than has been here to see in the past, I mentioned a few posts above that the Utah beach museum is having a large extension to house more exhbits, well the St Mere Eglise museum is expanding as well.

Shown above is one of the St Mere Eglise museums extension plans being exhibited in the town. For anyone who has been and seen the older part of the museum it is housed in a building in the shape of a parachute, which can be seen in the centre of the plans to the left of a tree. The size of the new extension can be seen to the right of the tree and it appears four or five times larger than the existing museum.

Thanks for joining in and enjoying the posts and photos. ;)

Ken

General Apathy
Great idea to lay out the flag like that. And what an incredible response by the airmen! I got goosebumps just thinking of how awesome your exchange of salutes turned out. Very very neat little story Ken! :thumbsup:

Terry

Hi Terry, I figure that being the aircrew and the paratroopers for the annual St Mere Eglise drop would be a great gig for them, must be fantastic looking down at all the crowds, flags, vehicles all waiting for the performance.

Only thought of the flag idea on the pick-up as a last minute idea when the aircraft turned up over the house, obviously where they choose as a flight line depends on the wind direction on the drop day, and this year it was above my house. Whoopee. :thumbsup:

Ken

General Apathy
When Ken mentions his now legendary "shoe-box" he 's too modest to say that it once actually contained Seven League Boots...if you catch my drift!?

Sabrejet ;)

Hi Ian, When answering Roberts question a few posts ago about the size of the shoeboxm I never mentioned leaving the lid off the shoebox that way you can pile it as high as you want ;)

Ken

Norman D. Landing. Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 26 2010.

General Apathy
Maybe the shoebox has several floors (levels) ? :dry:

Erwin

Hi Erwin, Oh dear !! if Robert thinks that there are several floors inside the shoebox then he will start demanding to his wife that they get a shoebox. :lol:

Ken

General Apathy
I think Ken might use a coffee machine box to store his stuff.... :bye1:

Johan, back at you too :bye1:

Ken

General Apathy

post-344-1277549987.jpg

Hi Forum Members & Readers,

It's rare to make a trip out around the area without finding a small plaque somewhere that you haven't seen before,

the one attached is at the entrance to a nature reserve at the far eastern end of Utah beach where the estuary divides the beaches of Utah and Omaha.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 24 2010

Nice plate, but weird translation of the last sentence.

It should read "In memory of the American soldiers who died (or fell) for your Liberty (Freedom)".

Erwin

General Apathy
Nice plate, but weird translation of the last sentence.

It should read "In memory of the American soldiers who died (or fell) for your Liberty (Freedom)".

Erwin

Hi Erwin, it is quite common for there to be a small mistake in translations, but it is nice to see the plaques so that the location is pin-pointed to some degree.

Ken

General Apathy
That's what you get with online translation programs...

However it's the message that counts...

Hi Johan, that's quite funny that you mention the problem with using an on line translation service, just about the same time as you were adding your comment to this post I was using an on-line translation service to send a message regarding a meal that I was invited to last night. :thumbsup:

Claire,

je vous remercie beaucoup pour le repas du soir, qui m'a beaucoup plu il a été très agréable et votre hospitalité. Ce fut une bonne idée hier soir que je devrais avoir une petite amie française, si vous avez une belle soeur. HeeHee.

Merci Kenneth x

Ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 26 2010.

Johan Willaert
Hi Johan, that's quite funny that you mention the problem with using an on line translation service, just about the same time as you were adding your comment to this post I was using an on-line translation service to send a message regarding a meal that I was invited to last night. :thumbsup:

Claire,

je vous remercie beaucoup pour le repas du soir, qui m'a beaucoup plu il a été très agréable et votre hospitalité. Ce fut une bonne idée hier soir que je devrais avoir une petite amie française, si vous avez une belle soeur. HeeHee.

Merci Kenneth x

Ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 26 2010.

Alors, elle en a une? Une jolie soeur?

Well, does she have one? A nice sister that is??

Hey Ken, chiming in later than usual here actually :P, but I love your OD belt display :P People would definitely know how to find you - follow the cartridge belt road :D

Re: those parachutists who drop every DDay - who are they? Military guys?

Cheers