Norman D. Landing

bilko1

9 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Johan,

Not trying to poo-poo you ( beat that Mikie ) but methinks that the ' Top-Hat ' patch design has been painted on the rear of that tank, using white paint as the tank would be o.d painted.  It looks like the outer circle and an angled section in the middle which looks like the angle of the hats brim .  

.fullsizeoutput_1b0de.jpeg.bff4255960228eb990c90e233830a7c0.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  March 24  2023.

Dang! I wish I had your eye for details. I had to go back and look close to see what you saw. I think you are spot on! 

Your brain just amazes me! 

...Kat

Hi Johan,

Not trying to poo-poo you ( beat that Mikie ) but methinks that the ' Top-Hat ' patch design has been painted on the rear of that tank, using white paint as the tank would be o.d painted.  It looks like the outer circle and an angled section in the middle which looks like the angle of the hats brim .  

Your brain just amazes me so much I double posted! Hahahahaha!

...Kat

Hi Johan,

Although the Jeep trailer will have to wait until next autumn for a full rebuild I am about to rewire it for legal road use, using NOS parts, for safety sake I am going with two red Ruby's on the rear for maximum illumination .

.fullsizeoutput_1b0e5.jpeg.d5e1e09965d4489b783f5966f79cd366.jpeg

What a bright idea! 

General Apathy
1 hour ago, mikie said:

What a bright idea! 

Hi Mikie, 

I just thought I would throw a little light on what I was doing with the trailer . . . . . . . . . . !!

fullsizeoutput_1b0e5.jpeg.0fbd94d4008476fe8c4fcc24b091dc94.jpeg

2 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie, 

I just thought I would throw a little light on what I was doing with the trailer . . . . . . . . . . !!

fullsizeoutput_1b0e5.jpeg.0fbd94d4008476fe8c4fcc24b091dc94.jpeg

Just don’t get all wired up about it. About your trailer, have you posted here about it before? If so, I don’t remember it. Wouldn’t mind hearing about it. 
Mikie 

Hope you don’t mind a quick diversion but today is my “grandson’s” official 1 st birthday. Kiddo bought him a little doggie cake. Grandad has to brag a little. Gunji is a good boy.

OK, back to jeeps and stuff now. 
mikie

4ADD08E8-10CD-40DC-9901-BA56D5877B32.jpeg

2B1A623F-F3D6-4AD8-AA3E-FD470E6A3877.jpeg

General Apathy
3 hours ago, mikie said:

Hope you don’t mind a quick diversion but today is my “grandson’s” official 1 st birthday. Kiddo bought him a little doggie cake. Grandad has to brag a little. Gunji is a good boy.

OK, back to jeeps and stuff now. 
mikie

4ADD08E8-10CD-40DC-9901-BA56D5877B32.jpeg

2B1A623F-F3D6-4AD8-AA3E-FD470E6A3877.jpeg

Hi Mikie,

great photo of of Kiddo & Gunji, both very good looking.

Sadly I no longer have dogs, I miss them all greatly , good companions but thankfully live vicariously through all my friends with dogs mainly rescue ones.  Friends, dogs and snowball fights a couple of years ago . . . . . . . . .

fullsizeoutput_1b151.jpeg.2572af4916bcc7e1459b436a5b250147.jpeg 

fullsizeoutput_1b14e.jpeg.be69a88a0c0c32f7278021d45a80ce9b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1b150.jpeg.ad65c87e77eef5c6ae8046f1250e7a65.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  March 25  2023.

6 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie,

great photo of of Kiddo & Gunji, both very good looking.

Sadly I no longer have dogs, I miss them all greatly , good companions but thankfully live vicariously through all my friends with dogs mainly rescue ones.  Friends, dogs and snowball fights a couple of years ago . . . . . . . . .

fullsizeoutput_1b151.jpeg.2572af4916bcc7e1459b436a5b250147.jpeg 

fullsizeoutput_1b14e.jpeg.be69a88a0c0c32f7278021d45a80ce9b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1b150.jpeg.ad65c87e77eef5c6ae8046f1250e7a65.jpeg

Dogs and snow! A fun combination.   I haven’t lived in snow country since moving from Upstate New York to California in 1982. Loved it then, but don’t miss it one bit anymore. 

General Apathy

Hi mikie,

Sadly we lost Cedric last year a village friend to Viral Meningitis of the brain aged 37, just inherited the family farm and about to get married, never know when our time is up and the cheese slips off our cracker. . . . . . . . .  I wouldn't  complain overall, life gave me decent cheese on my cracker.

Rain, Snow or Sunshine enjoy each day, some don't get to !!!, early this morning the song played at my brothers funeral was on the radio.

fullsizeoutput_1b14e.jpeg.b604b8e3bbacc7a7bf5566520d218768.jpeg

54 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

Hi mikie,

Sadly we lost Cedric last year a village friend to Viral Meningitis of the brain aged 37, just inherited the family farm and about to get married, never know when our time is up and the cheese slips off our cracker. . . . . . . . .  I wouldn't  complain overall, life gave me decent cheese on my cracker.

Rain, Snow or Sunshine enjoy each day, some don't get to !!!, early this morning the song played at my brothers funeral was on the radio.

fullsizeoutput_1b14e.jpeg.b604b8e3bbacc7a7bf5566520d218768.jpeg

Sad to hear that. Good advice, though.

mikie

Johan Willaert
On 3/24/2023 at 1:20 PM, General Apathy said:

Hi Johan,

Although the Jeep trailer will have to wait until next autumn for a full rebuild I am about to rewire it for legal road use, using NOS parts, for safety sake I am going with two red Ruby's on the rear for maximum illumination .

.fullsizeoutput_1b0e5.jpeg.d5e1e09965d4489b783f5966f79cd366.jpeg

Were just doing that a couple of months ago... Those GUIDE light really should be on GMC, Chevy or Harley WLA....
Most Jeep Trailers had CB or Arrow rear lights... but nothing beats NOS sets of any brand...

12-T3-65127-08Nov22 (4).JPG

12-T3-65127-08Nov22 (6).JPG

12-T3-65127-08Nov22 (11).JPG

Johan Willaert
On 3/24/2023 at 12:55 PM, General Apathy said:

Hi Johan,

Yes, looks like you're right! Well spotted...
Is the patch from your shoebox? Took me ages to find one and finally received one from a fellow board member and author a couple of years ago...

Here it is; these are Super rare...

TopHatPatch-1.jpg

TopHatPatch-2.jpg

General Apathy
1 hour ago, Johan Willaert said:

Were just doing that a couple of months ago... Those GUIDE light really should be on GMC, Chevy or Harley WLA....
Most Jeep Trailers had CB or Arrow rear lights... but nothing beats NOS sets of any brand...

12-T3-65127-08Nov22 (4).JPG

12-T3-65127-08Nov22 (6).JPG

12-T3-65127-08Nov22 (11).JPG

Hi Johan.

Well nicely restored will last some years ahead now.  The Guide lamps were the first pair I came to looking through my spares boxes, I know I have several other sets which I will make sure I see what others I have for when it's restored.  Was it's in somewhat of a flaky paint finish then for now I have left on the ones that were already on it they match well, it was basically the wiring that had corroded and needing replacement.

I needed to make it road legal regarding lighting as I have about forty or fifty trips to make to the village dump with tree cuttings.  

Looking at your rear cross-member then we have identical holes at either side so they probably both served in the same national army, mine came from Peter Gray  late 70's and he said he had found several of them in France.  

I just smeared a little Vaseline on my plates to try and read them easier, my 1951 rebuild plate shows the trailer number as 0823830 and if yours 0827165 is also original to the trailer then they are 3,335 apart.

Where yours has a clip on top of the lunette housing mine is a grease nipple for the lunette, and the loom is clipped on the side rail same spot as yours. 

.fullsizeoutput_1b165.jpeg.49144f4a149918135ee23b172cdeffb9.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1b164.jpeg.50885aa61c97017729cd28c22f7d998c.jpeg

Johan Willaert
21 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Looking at your rear cross-member then we have identical holes at either side so they probably both served in the same national army, mine came from Peter Gray  late 70's and he said he had found several of them in France.  

Where yours has a clip on top of the lunette housing mine is a grease nipple for the lunette, and the loom is clipped on the side rail same spot as yours. 

The holes on the rear crossmember are all factory correct for all 1/4Ton Trailers.
Basically all three crossmembers under the box are identical, but the rear one if fitted the other way around so that the outside of the U-channel faces to the rear.
All holes in these crossmembers either hold a rivet or let the wiring loom go through, and the only difference is that the rear crossmember has an extra larger hole on the right side to allow disassembly of the drain plug with a screwdriver.

Original lunette housings have a grease nipple on the driver's side and wiring cable clip attached to a threaded hole for a 1/4 UNC screw to hold the clip.
I bet when you remove the grease nipple, the hole is not open all the way down...

12-T3-65127-08Nov22 (2).JPG

Johan Willaert
2 minutes ago, Johan Willaert said:

Original lunette housings have a grease nipple on the driver's side and wiring cable clip attached to a threaded hole for a 1/4 UNC screw to hold the clip.
I bet when you remove the grease nipple, the hole is not open all the way down...

From the manual, grease nipple on the left side, cable clip on top

Image11.jpg

General Apathy
4 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

Image11.jpg

Hi Johan,  thanks for the details,  I don't have a trailer manual and I have never restored on before, only motorised stuff.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  March 26  2023.

General Apathy

Time travellers . . . . . . . 

Dates are inconsistent with the images . . . . . . . . .

.fullsizeoutput_1b1a2.jpeg.86669ece1f50e5feeca4f6d8020699d2.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1b1a5.jpeg.e82b8b16bf2f2ae67c88c8c692936492.jpeg

7 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

The holes on the rear crossmember are all factory correct for all 1/4Ton Trailers.
Basically all three crossmembers under the box are identical, but the rear one if fitted the other way around so that the outside of the U-channel faces to the rear.
All holes in these crossmembers either hold a rivet or let the wiring loom go through, and the only difference is that the rear crossmember has an extra larger hole on the right side to allow disassembly of the drain plug with a screwdriver.

12-T3-65127-08Nov22 (2).JPG

I love the overall vehicle/trailer knowledge in this thread.  So much to see and learn.

..Kat

2 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Time travellers . . . . . . . 

Dates are inconsistent with the images . . . . . . . . .

.fullsizeoutput_1b1a2.jpeg.86669ece1f50e5feeca4f6d8020699d2.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1b1a5.jpeg.e82b8b16bf2f2ae67c88c8c692936492.jpeg

Ken,

I am sure this is something in the advertisements on the train and background in the military picture but I don't know the answer.  I eagerly await your answer while we wait to see if others see what you see.

...Kat

General Apathy
9 hours ago, cutiger83 said:

Ken,

I am sure this is something in the advertisements on the train and background in the military picture but I don't know the answer.  I eagerly await your answer while we wait to see if others see what you see.

...Kat

Hi Kat & mikie,

1939 photo of Guy sat on the train,  he's tied his shoe laces wrongly . . . . . .. . . . . only joking. !!!

1939 photo of Guy sat on the train, he's wearing a US M1943 field jacket . . . . . . . . .

.fullsizeoutput_1b1a2.jpeg.03a454daeb6b562ff5c2f331028fa76a.jpeg 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  March 27  2023.

General Apathy
9 hours ago, cutiger83 said:

Ken,

...Kat

Hi Kat & Mikie.

1941 dated photo, of troops visiting the Arc de Triomphe, Paris. . . . . . . . .

there were NO American or British troops visiting the Arc de Triomphe in 1941, and NO 1943 Dodge parked to the left of the lamp-post in 1941. 

A single RAF aircraft did fly over the Arc de Triomphe around 1942 dropping French flags over the Arc de Triomphe in order to uplift the French spirit in the occupied city. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wNCBb-9f9U

fullsizeoutput_1b1a5.jpeg.ba6635c5fcad11bc568ee9fb158d79b5.jpeg

General Apathy
18 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

Image11.jpg

Hi Johan,

yes you were correct I have a screw ( no clip ) on the top and a grease nipple on the side, haven't not used it for fifteen years I was working from memory and it's not as sharp these days,  wonder what I had for breakfast today  . . . . . . . . . 

Johan Willaert
5 hours ago, General Apathy said:

yes you were correct I have a screw ( no clip ) on the top and a grease nipple on the side, haven't not used it for fifteen years I was working from memory and it's not as sharp these days,  wonder what I had for breakfast today  . . . . . . . . . 

I've sent you all pages from TM10-1281 Trailer manual...

Also you can find lots of photos and info on this page

http://jeepdraw.com/

Johan Willaert
7 hours ago, General Apathy said:

he's wearing a US M1943 field jacket . . . . . . . . ....

More civilians wearing US Army M1943 Field Jackets...

Selling M1943 Jackets at the Bastogne market, ca 1947

M1943-StockAmericain-Bastogne-1947-2.jpg

M1943-StockAmericain-Bastogne-1947-1.jpg