Norman D. Landing

bilko1

8 hours ago, General Apathy said:

From the Shoebox . . . . . . . 

These are military identification models, they are almost solid cast-metal,  made in the UK and weigh almost a pound in weight each, ( possibly .500 kilo. )

They are the allied models for WWII, 1940 - 1945, British, American & Russian.

Top left is the last British tank of WWII the Centurian, designed in 1943 and entered service in 1945.

.fullsizeoutput_13fe1.jpeg.d28a1c9fe6e247b23d6d5b57b9d6a84f.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  August 15  2022.

These are very interesting. They seem to have some nice detail for identification models.

...Kat

General Apathy

had a little wry smile last week . . . . . .

A friend in the UK went to a military show last weekend and his partner Sue bought a women's raincoat, he sent me a photo of it and asked if I was familiar with the pattern, I replied that I was and that I had sold one at my auction in 2019.  He then sent me a second photo showing the description label I had attached to it for the auction, so it was sold in Caen here in Normandy and went to a British dealer in the UK and Sue bought it there. 

I also heard from a forum member that the Dog gas-mask I sold in 2018 ended up in America, interesting to see where things went. 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  August 16  2022.

2 hours ago, General Apathy said:

had a little wry smile last week . . . . . .

A friend in the UK went to a military show last weekend and his partner Sue bought a women's raincoat, he sent me a photo of it and asked if I was familiar with the pattern, I replied that I was and that I had sold one at my auction in 2019.  He then sent me a second photo showing the description label I had attached to it for the auction, so it was sold in Caen here in Normandy and went to a British dealer in the UK and Sue bought it there. 

I also heard from a forum member that the Dog gas-mask I sold in 2018 ended up in America, interesting to see where things went. 

In a certain way you could say that your shoebox has established some foreign subsidiaries.

Came across this last week whilst hunting around at Hemswell Antiques on the old RAF base.  It's marked GEM MFG CO PITTSBURGH PA around the top of the can. Don't think it's a Jeep one as it seems slightly different shape and has a longer spout. I always look at anything this shape hoping to find an Eagle marked one as that's the one I remember on my Jeep back in the 1980's.

IMG_4042 (2).JPG

General Apathy
29 minutes ago, Escht said:

Came across this last week whilst hunting around at Hemswell Antiques on the old RAF base.  It's marked GEM MFG CO PITTSBURGH PA around the top of the can. Don't think it's a Jeep one as it seems slightly different shape and has a longer spout. I always look at anything this shape hoping to find an Eagle marked one as that's the one I remember on my Jeep back in the 1980's.

IMG_4042 (2).JPG

Hi Kevin,  I have seen these long spout ones about occasionally never been sure of their particular use, but some Jeepers have used them when they couldn't find the shorter spout ones.

General Apathy

Today's gifts . . . . . . . 

I called in today and had coffee with the widow of a friend that died a couple of years ago of a tumour, he was a tour guide here and also went field digging etc.  These three pieces were left in the garage so she let me have them, two invasion gas-mask bags ( incredibly soft & supple condition ) and remains of a waist-belt life-belt. 

.fullsizeoutput_14015.jpeg.9e68991cf113578f8c0ce5cb456d5ddc.jpeg

11 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Kevin,  I have seen these long spout ones about occasionally never been sure of their particular use, but some Jeepers have used them when they couldn't find the shorter spout ones.

Hi Ken

When I saw it I thought it might have been the one in the oiler manual picture bottom right but the shape looks more like the other one just with longer spout. I've started looking through old tools now as I'm sure there must be lots of ex US Army tools floating around and starting to appear as older premises get cleared. Not having much luck with it so far though.

image.png.74360b5679d083061a69235447ad8a10.png

General Apathy

Try this for size . . . . . . 

Last week I decided that it was time to change radio stations, I have listened to BBC Radio2 for many years,  I just like some background music while I am on the computer or doing other things, however I had become fed up of the total dross that was spouted between the tunes so I had heard of Boom Radio.  Boom Radio ( in the UK ) is for those of us referred to as Baby-Boomers, the DJ's just play the tunes and a very diverse lot of tunes at that, no more shrieking voices, hysterical laughter and the constant phrase used for guest celebrities ' I love you and I love the work you put out '. 

So yesterday I heard this melodic song from 1983, completely forgotten about it and also never played on Radio2, so I was surprised that a wartime scenario was the background to the accompanying video, Jeeps, uniforms, B-17's and USAAF aircraft, and lost loves.

try it for size a very underrated and underplayed song . . . . .

4 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Try this for size . . . . . . 

Last week I decided that it was time to change radio stations, I have listened to BBC Radio2 for many years,  I just like some background music while I am on the computer or doing other things, however I had become fed up of the total dross that was spouted between the tunes so I had heard of Boom Radio.  Boom Radio ( in the UK ) is for those of us referred to as Baby-Boomers, the DJ's just play the tunes and a very diverse lot of tunes at that, no more shrieking voices, hysterical laughter and the constant phrase used for guest celebrities ' I love you and I love the work you put out '. 

So yesterday I heard this melodic song from 1983, completely forgotten about it and also never played on Radio2, so I was surprised that a wartime scenario was the background to the accompanying video, Jeeps, uniforms, B-17's and USAAF aircraft, and lost loves.

try it for size a very underrated and underplayed song . . . . .

Nice. I love live radio while driving, I like not knowing what will play next. I've settled on 3 noncommercial stations I found that play a wonderful mix of music. 2 are college-based that play almost everything from Hawaiian to Bluegrass.  One is a high school station that plays big band, swing etc from the 1930s - 40s era. If interested,  I'll post links when I'm on my computer.

14 hours ago, Escht said:

Hi Ken

When I saw it I thought it might have been the one in the oiler manual picture bottom right but the shape looks more like the other one just with longer spout. I've started looking through old tools now as I'm sure there must be lots of ex US Army tools floating around and starting to appear as older premises get cleared. Not having much luck with it so far though.

image.png.74360b5679d083061a69235447ad8a10.png

Good chance the spouts have the same size threads and are interchangeable?

General Apathy

just watched this old 1941 /42 period movie . . . . . 

Well it's been a busy day so I took a rest after eating and watched this movie I had never seen or heard of before.  It covered the transition from mounted cavalry to mechanical tanks, a bunch of new recruits arriving at the training centre, when a vehicle wants to pass by, I filled in the words that were spoken at the time . . . . . 

.fullsizeoutput_14067.jpeg.64cff62e2817e94bedc6808ff85a5ddf.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_14089.jpeg.13dca902745f9e9388a56d5087de9edc.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  August 17  2022.

General Apathy

Hi Johan,

yes nice early stuff all the way through the movie, same film the unit out on manoeuvres loads of Harley outriders,  second image dropping the Harleys to the ground and firing over them as they did over the horses when they were a cavalry unit

Nice shot of an un-numbered armoured patch . . . 

.fullsizeoutput_1405e.jpeg.81b0dbe8d663307bf4eafe8b27a94bf3.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1405d.jpeg.916b81155b5a3c69cccf9c20b53cae43.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1405c.jpeg.152c51cab7e36b9fb4756ff18e564974.jpeg

1 hour ago, General Apathy said:

just watched this old 1941 /42 period movie . . . . . 

Well it's been a busy day so I took a rest after eating and watched this movie I had never seen or heard of before.  It covered the transition from mounted cavalry to mechanical tanks, a bunch of new recruits arriving at the training centre, when a vehicle wants to pass by, I filled in the words that were spoken at the time . . . . . 

.fullsizeoutput_14067.jpeg.64cff62e2817e94bedc6808ff85a5ddf.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_14089.jpeg.13dca902745f9e9388a56d5087de9edc.jpeg

Never saw or heard of this movie.  I'll need to check it out.  That one screen cap somehow reminded me of these Up Front cartoons...

Fine Road.jpg

Fine Road 2.jpg

Johan Willaert
9 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Nice shot of an un-numbered armoured patch . . . 

fullsizeoutput_1405c.jpeg.152c51cab7e36b9fb4756ff18e564974.jpeg

and the early branch color patch with rank insignia on the cap

General Apathy
1 hour ago, Johan Willaert said:

Happy BD to my Ford GPW Jeep… 80 years old today!

2998456A-BCBF-4E5D-A0B7-FC173F8D868D.png

Hi Johan,

I have to say that I adore your Jeep, no markings other than the hood number, for me that's perfection. less is more as the saying goes.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  August 18  2022.

Speaking of unit markings on vehicles, I now see regularly that vehicles have only the hood number painted and that the owners have made a bunch of different unit markings on thin magnetic sheets... Works pretty well 😊

Johan Willaert

I have to say that I adore your Jeep, no markings other than the hood number, for me that's perfection. less is more as the saying goes.

Thx Ken… The Jeep has sported several different bumper unit markings, along with stars over the years, but in the end I went with the factory style hood number only…. i have to agree less is more…

People keep asking me why I don’t put unit markings on it though, especially since I go around giving presentations on correct WW2 vehicle markings and always criticise wrong markings… LOL 

General Apathy

Going down the pipes with this one . . . . . 

The UK and America not only had to have stocks of every conceivable piece of military equipment i.e. vehicles, clothing, munitions, petrols, spares, food, the list is pretty endless, they also had to take building supplies to rebuild towns and cities damaged or destroyed in the fighting.

Here's a shot of a storage facility at a rail-yard containing salt-glazed sewerage pipes, just one of the necessary materials, pleased to say that not long ago I found a piece of British made salt-glaze pipe here in Normandy made by G. Jennings of Poole, Dorset, UK. 

Here in the American sector the US Army / Government brought in tons of corrugated steel sheeting for roof repairs, it was nicknamed ' American-Thatch ', and still many buildings can be seen with it in use. 

.fullsizeoutput_140b0.jpeg.3e24579b897e44440a27ba9a77497ac5.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_140a3.jpeg.b46f3e2ddd7154305495894a0a99d361.jpeg

General Apathy

Going down the pipes with this one . . . . . 

The UK and America not only had to have stocks of every conceivable piece of military equipment i.e. vehicles, clothing, munitions, petrols, spares, food, the list is pretty endless, they also had to take building supplies to rebuild towns and cities damaged or destroyed in the fighting.

Here's a shot of a storage facility at a rail-yard containing salt-glazed sewerage pipes, just one of the necessary materials, pleased to say that not long ago I found a piece of British made salt-glaze pipe here in Normandy made by G. Jennings of Poole, Dorset, UK. 

Here in the American sector the US Army / Government brought in tons of corrugated steel sheeting for roof repairs, it was nicknamed ' American-Thatch ', and still many buildings can be seen with it in use. 

.fullsizeoutput_140b0.jpeg.3e24579b897e44440a27ba9a77497ac5.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_140a3.jpeg.b46f3e2ddd7154305495894a0a99d361.jpeg

Shared this information with friends in the UK and one has come back with the following information whilst visiting UK American airbases

not quite as far away but found red house-bricks made in Tamworth for building huts on airfields of Grafton Underwood and Bury St Edmunds

General Apathy

From the Shoebox . . . . . 

A U.S. Army issue Razor set, a New Testament cloth covered bible with ( Card from First Methodist Church, Alma, Nebraska ), and a pack of WWI French ' artistic ' cards . . . . . . . . . . . .

.fullsizeoutput_140d8.jpeg.8a984609f8175557a2af5c0ea4b07f89.jpeg 

General Apathy

I may be behind the curve ball on this one . . . . . . 

I just found by accident a few episodes on youtube of an American guy who opens the boxes and packaging on anything to do with American U.S. Army food rations..  Some may enjoy these presentations others may think it's destroying historical pieces, whatever your thoughts here's the links.

in one of the links he opens a US navy back-pack of survival rations and equipment must admit it's the first time I have seen several of the pieces within the pack.  I was totally unaware of one item in the pack a tube of ' Kant-Rust ' for preventing rust on the survival metal items.

He has made several other video presentations beside the three I have posted.   

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  August 19  2022.