Norman D. Landing

bilko1

7 hours ago, General Apathy said:

From the Shoebox . . . . . . 

When just one of anything is never enough . . . . . . . . . . a small example of the downside of being a collector

.fullsizeoutput_13f37.jpeg.69f4ff27eeef672c9c15884179a97ddc.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  August 13  2022.

I hear ya. Sometimes it's just that you like a certain patch design and that's what got you hooked.

SAM_1541.JPG.d673ca4a2ebc3127b4765391a881bfa9.JPG

16 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Jeep's outdoors and ready to go . . . . . . . . .

.fullsizeoutput_13f1e.jpeg.a67ea9246dd1d6723943eb364961041d.jpeg

"Say cheese"!

5 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

I hear ya. Sometimes it's just that you like a certain patch design and that's what got you hooked.

I must have bumped my head... I'm seeing stars!

General Apathy
5 hours ago, mikie said:

"Say cheese"!

Hi Mikie,

Red sky in a morning shepherds warning, looks like rain this today . . . . . . Jeep is out and ready to go.  !!!  

rain's only wet it doesn't dissolve you.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  August 14  2022.

Johan Willaert
20 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Safety first LED lamps on Jeeps . . . . . . . 

pleased to say I just received an email that ANOTHER jeeping friend in the UK has adopted the idea of adding cycle LED lamps to his Jeep.

.fullsizeoutput_13f38.jpeg.5b6440fecaf1ddaa3aea553abc66cdae.jpeg

I too use these small battery powered bicycle lights on my Jeep for extra visibility when it’s dark.
I run the original set-up of one Tail and Stop light on the Jeep, so any light ads safety…
These are cheap and easily attached with an incorporated elastic band and being LED are quite strong; you have a choice of flashing or permanent light. I attach a red one on each rear corner grab handle, and a white one on each side of the top of the windshield.
The windshield is an early one with short top rail, so enough room for the lights.

Photos taken last night at dusk as I drove home from a local vehicle show.

74B67730-C47E-4A0E-B501-264D4E1281A3.jpeg

9A8ACBE5-55B2-4C55-A6CA-568CFE71C4E5.jpeg

AC9F099F-DB34-4845-8059-AEDFAADDF3FA.jpeg

BFA8825C-0DAD-4FBD-972A-B2CFAB4AAB0E.jpeg

General Apathy
17 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

11 hours ago, mikie said:

I must have bumped my head... I'm seeing stars!

hi Rene & Mikie,

Hey I'm seeing stars as well, this HAS to be one of my favourite designs of patch, I think it has everything a star, it's red, white & blue and started back pre war when it was Army Air-Corps  ( note, one has Air-Force ).

This is a repro A-2 used for Jeeping on cold, wet, windy days . . . . . . Jeepers do have them, wet days  !!!!

.fullsizeoutput_13f74.jpeg.98722086fb76b53e8807e1238286abda.jpeg

General Apathy
4 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

I too use these small battery powered bicycle lights on my Jeep for extra visibility when it’s dark.
I run the original set-up of one Tail and Stop light on the Jeep, so any light ads safety…
These are cheap and easily attached with an incorporated elastic band and being LED are quite strong; you have a choice of flashing or permanent light. I attach a red one on each rear corner grab handle, and a white one on each side of the top of the windshield.
The windshield is an early one with short top rail, so enough room for the lights.

Photos taken last night at dusk as I drove home from a local vehicle show.

74B67730-C47E-4A0E-B501-264D4E1281A3.jpeg

9A8ACBE5-55B2-4C55-A6CA-568CFE71C4E5.jpeg

AC9F099F-DB34-4845-8059-AEDFAADDF3FA.jpeg

BFA8825C-0DAD-4FBD-972A-B2CFAB4AAB0E.jpeg

Hi Johan,  great post showing the lights you are using . . . . . very effective.  !!!!

Driving to a car show this morning I pulled over and informed the friend following behind me that the canvas headlight covers he has on his lights had the effect of darkening the O.D. jeep even more making it less visible by obscuring the daylight reflective effect on the glass headlights.

General Apathy
On 8/13/2022 at 12:33 PM, Johan Willaert said:

Came across a 2019 Wrangler Rubicon this morning... Does size matter?? 

298907079_3285000075078023_6938233939885597320_n.jpg

Hi Johan,

How very strange we must be living parallel lives, today I met an American currently living in Belgium where his wife serves in a military establishment, he is retired from 26 years in the US police force, Maryland I believe.  He came across to talk to me about my Jeep and how interested he was in the whole package of WWII etc,  pointed across to his ' Jeep ' and it was a similar gun-metal grey version of the Rubicon next door to yours. 

Stupidly he wanted me to park next to his and get a shot of the two together, I remained sat in my Jeep and didn't think until later driving away that I should have got a shot to add here.  I talked with him about what remained to be seen in the town square, and pointed out the direction to them of the two American cemeteries that bordered the town post D-Day. 

He said back in the states he had been involved in a coast to coast convoy titled ' Wreaths Across America ' and had done a similar event here on the continent, it was at this point that he thanked me for a ride in my Jeep, our conversation of the town and presented me with this kind gift commemorating the tour across America.  Thanks Sean.  

.fullsizeoutput_13fa2.jpeg.f8e842490a5d9688431a1d93e66e82e1.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_13fa7.jpeg.1c3fd6ff7fe6cd04ebb9b6a793e5d417.jpeg

General Apathy
On 8/12/2022 at 9:18 AM, General Apathy said:

From the Shoebox . . . . . 

A USMC one piece moulded Nylon watch-strap, Cordovan Color.

.fullsizeoutput_13ea8.jpeg.42247e14b990cd9cc097cf2e7ee0f5a5.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  August 12  2022.

Hi Ron & Johan,

Thanks for the interest and ' likes ' for the USMC watch-Strap above.

While we are talking USMC here's a USMC 1943 dated folding stove and also a 1943 dated tube of round fuel-tablets that sit in the small cup in the centre of the folding stove, the fins are cut in such a way that the canteen cup or canteen sit comfortably and supported.

This post is about the USMC stove and Fuel tablets, the rest is hypothetical . . . . . . . . . .

Now purely coincidentally and without a shred of evidence ( and please don't shoot the messenger here ) the roll of fuel tablets fit almost perfectly in the tin plated tube shown below, and also coincidentally the tin plated tube fits ' exactly ' inside the loop inside the M36 musette bag, which we have all wanted to know for years the definitive answer for the loop in the musette bag, what I am showing is just all coincidental . ( let the stone-throwing commence )

I don't know which will ever be answered first, is there still a crated Jeep somewhere on this earth, or what is the purpose of the loop in the musette bag . . . . . . 

.fullsizeoutput_13fac.jpeg.e310741ee386fd871afc5d514a0968f3.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_13fae.jpeg.ca4e6d0d3126f24977e82cc12bfa1303.jpeg

General Apathy

Hi Kat,

another post added for you, variations of the WAAC patch manufacture . . . The small letter ' C ' on the lower two was always considered correct. 

.fullsizeoutput_13fb7.jpeg.62200759a816961e0f474ba2e478700f.jpeg

1 hour ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Ron & Johan,

While we are talking USMC here's a USMC 1943 dated folding stove and also a 1943 dated tube of round fuel-tablets that sit in the small cup in the centre of the folding stove, the fins are cut in such a way that the canteen cup or canteen sit comfortably and supported.

This post is about the USMC stove and Fuel tablets, the rest is hypothetical . . . . . . . . . .

Now purely coincidentally and without a shred of evidence ( and please don't shoot the messenger here ) the roll of fuel tablets fit almost perfectly in the tin plated tube shown below, and also coincidentally the tin plated tube fits ' exactly ' inside the loop inside the M36 musette bag, which we have all wanted to know for years the definitive answer for the loop in the musette bag, what I am showing is just all coincidental . ( let the stone-throwing commence )

I don't know which will ever be answered first, is there still a crated Jeep somewhere on this earth, or what is the purpose of the loop in the musette bag . . . . . . 

Somewhere in Heaven, the guy who put that loop into the musette bag design is laughing his butt off right now.

Hi Kat,

another post added for you, variations of the WAAC patch manufacture . . . The small letter ' C ' on the lower two was always considered correct. 

Ken,

Thanks so much for posting these! This is one patch that has eluded me over the years. I have yet to own one.

...Kat

Hi Ron & Johan,

Very interesting. I love little tidbits like these. 

...Kat

8 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Ron & Johan,

Love the watch band and the card its mounted to. Always interesting to see the original items as they were manufactured. Have a couple of the little stoves and some of the tabs around. Another iconic piece of WW2 that's often overlooked and missing from collections. (and not easy to find today)

8 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Kat,

Very nice tab variations.

General Apathy
1 hour ago, doyler said:

Love the watch band and the card its mounted to. Always interesting to see the original items as they were manufactured. Have a couple of the little stoves and some of the tabs around. Another iconic piece of WW2 that's often overlooked and missing from collections. (and not easy to find today)

Hi Ron,

obviously the metal stoves would easily survive ( occasionally rust spotted ). However the tablets would suffer from bad storage in damp conditions and the tablets dissolve and the package disintegrate as this one has.  When I bought the manufacturers carton containing several of these rolls of tabs some had already started to un-ravel and separate.  I saved all the ones I could and wrapped them in kitchen food-film which held the packaging together and prevented further disintegration .  

This one I saved ( minus the dissolved tabs ) to glue back together and save for display purposes.

.fullsizeoutput_13fb9.jpeg.f94d5acb9c328f7ebe354f77175fd579.jpeg 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  August 15  2022.

21 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Johan,  great post showing the lights you are using . . . . . very effective.  !!!!

Driving to a car show this morning I pulled over and informed the friend following behind me that the canvas headlight covers he has on his lights had the effect of darkening the O.D. jeep even more making it less visible by obscuring the daylight reflective effect on the glass headlights.

So they still work as intended :) It's not a bad idea to always drive with lights on, especially on roads with lots of shade. The OD still works as intended too

13 hours ago, General Apathy said:

...Now purely coincidentally and without a shred of evidence ( and please don't shoot the messenger here ) the roll of fuel tablets fit almost perfectly in the tin plated tube shown below, and also coincidentally the tin plated tube fits ' exactly ' inside the loop inside the M36 musette bag, which we have all wanted to know for years the definitive answer for the loop in the musette bag, what I am showing is just all coincidental . ( let the stone-throwing commence )...

Alright, here you go:

😋

14 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Ron & Johan,

Those might come in handy with the pending shortages of natural gas overhere.

General Apathy
3 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

British Harley-Davidson icon Fred Warr has passed away…

https://www.warrs.com/news/remembering-fred-warr-1929-2022

Hi Johan,

Sad news he was known by many, he was always spoken of as Mr Harley-Davidson, UK.  Some of the Harley owners I know used to visit him at home and talk over the military Harley's with him. 

General Apathy

From the Shoebox . . . . . . . 

These are military identification models, they are almost solid cast-metal,  made in the UK and weigh almost a pound in weight each, ( possibly .500 kilo. )

They are the allied models for WWII, 1940 - 1945, British, American & Russian.

Top left is the last British tank of WWII the Centurian, designed in 1943 and entered service in 1945.

.fullsizeoutput_13fe1.jpeg.d28a1c9fe6e247b23d6d5b57b9d6a84f.jpeg

General Apathy

A friend is on holiday . . . . . 

A UK London friend is on holiday in Ireland and spotted this camper-van, hopefully none of the readers here are too far gone down that road that they are unable to understand the sentiment . . . . . . . . . . 

.fullsizeoutput_13fe5.jpeg.960650a25fd7610f2f0d6a784f268522.jpeg

10 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

A friend is on holiday . . . . . 

A UK London friend is on holiday in Ireland and spotted this camper-van, hopefully none of the readers here are too far gone down that road that they are unable to understand the sentiment . . . . . . . . . . 

.fullsizeoutput_13fe5.jpeg.960650a25fd7610f2f0d6a784f268522.jpeg

Not down that road all the way yet, but getting there pretty quickly.  

11 hours ago, earlymb said:

So they still work as intended :) It's not a bad idea to always drive with lights on, especially on roads with lots of shade. The OD still works as intended too

Alright, here you go:

😋

Ha!!!