Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy
15 minutes ago, Dogsbody said:

Then and Now; most of you will understand that the piper cub didn't get there because of some pilot's amazing landing skills. It was definitely placed there, probably in reference to the nearby former German miltary airfield (Fliegerhorst Venlo) that after the liberation of Venlo was rehabilitated for use by USAAF forces (Yankee 55, a.k.a. of Venlo Hilton because of its primitive living quarters). Nice photo op, though

In the Now shot only a small part from one of the towers of the town hall reminds of the location (left from the middle behind the trees).

273884745_3174073656154494_6231947375611983611_n.jpg.7d7866a06c3f3d72808a445a30e5714f.jpgSAM_1976.JPG.e7d3f23baba27256bba43b84a4169de5.JPG

Hi Rene,  

A great photo of the aircraft amongst the rubble. Also a great comparison that you found just the one tower still there,  so many beautiful and historical buildings were lost to the Second World War looking at the detail of the brickwork on that remaining structure to the right of ' Old Glory '

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  May 29  2022.

General Apathy

D-Day anniversary week has started in the last few days with vehicles arriving in the area.  

Last Sunday I spotted a WWII Bantam Jeep trailer, what caught my eye was four plates on the front panel, as normally there is only one and maybe two on some trailers. 

It has it's original Bantam build plate in the top right corner, what was then interesting is that it was rebuilt at Pacific Builders, Salinas, California in 1945, later a shipping plate was added with measurements of the trailer, and below that another rebuild plate for Rootes, Manchester, UK, the date possibly being April 1966, a strange date and place for a rebuild being an American military piece, there were and still are American air-force bases in the UK, but I thought the U.S. Army had left before 1966 if ' 466 ' is the date, and the trailer would already be around 24 years old by then if it was still in use, certainly wartime Jeeps had been replaced with newer models.  

.fullsizeoutput_127ee.jpeg.96ee8b0ea758a0a55169cf5f57889011.jpeg

IMG_1799.jpg

Could it be a year date stamp, ie. 1946 June ? Would fit better with the 1945 re-manufacturing date.

General Apathy
1 hour ago, Escht said:

Could it be a year date stamp, ie. 1946 June ? Would fit better with the 1945 re-manufacturing date.

Hi Kevin,

I wouldn't have thought so, if it was rebuilt in California in 1945, don't see it needing another rebuild a year later in 1946. !!!!!!!  Thanks for posting always good to hear other opinions . . . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  May 31  2022.

General Apathy

Todays militaria fair . . . . . . . .

Well I went to a militaria fair this morning with Jeeping friends and I saw three things to buy . . . . . .

#1... A GPW Jeep waterpump.  I did a couple of checks, spun the paddle to test smoothness of the bearing, I poured some water into the body of it to see in the water seal worked, it did, however the real test would be in use when the water is pressurised,  I made an offer and I bought it for my Jeep Shoebox spares.

#2... From a distance it looked like it could possibly a Medical Department urine sample bottle, didn't need one of those, turned out to be a Medical Department lamp globe, I needed one of these for a lamp missing the globe, got back home and it was too tall for the particular lantern that required one, but for what I paid no regrets. 

#3... Stood reading the nomenclature on an item, made a rash decision that I didn't need it, then later thought it's a missing link in a chain of items I have, but hopeful that I will see it again at one of two more fairs I have in mind to visit.

So stay stationed . . . . . . . .

fullsizeoutput_1284a.jpeg.b97a0b91b5768a39dc3585fdacd672d2.jpeg 

fullsizeoutput_1284c.jpeg.566c79bea6f88349ec6896491c3444a6.jpeg

IMG_1819.jpg.40f76f8dabc463823b835a00fd079575.jpg

33 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Kevin,

I wouldn't have thought so, if it was rebuilt in California in 1945, don't see it needing another rebuild a year later in 1946. !!!!!!!  Thanks for posting always good to hear other opinions . . . . . . . .

Hi Ken

I didn't read the plate properly, half a sleep. As you say wouldn't make any sense.

18 hours ago, General Apathy said:

D-Day anniversary week has started in the last few days with vehicles arriving in the area.  

Last Sunday I spotted a WWII Bantam Jeep trailer, what caught my eye was four plates on the front panel, as normally there is only one and maybe two on some trailers. 

It has it's original Bantam build plate in the top right corner, what was then interesting is that it was rebuilt at Pacific Builders, Salinas, California in 1945, later a shipping plate was added with measurements of the trailer, and below that another rebuild plate for Rootes, Manchester, UK, the date possibly being April 1966, a strange date and place for a rebuild being an American military piece, there were and still are American air-force bases in the UK, but I thought the U.S. Army had left before 1966 if ' 466 ' is the date, and the trailer would already be around 24 years old by then if it was still in use, certainly wartime Jeeps had been replaced with newer models.  

Salinas is about 50-60 miles south of me.  I just did a Google search and the only Pacific Builders that came up is a home contractor company founded in 1982.  Oh well.  Thought it would be cool if the same one was were still around.

Mikie

3 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Kevin,

Well, if they drove around with it at the speed you are normally driving a rebuild just a year later would make perfectly sense 😉 

General Apathy
2 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

Well, if they drove around with it at the speed you are normally driving a rebuild just a year later would make perfectly sense 😉 

Hi Rene,

Well we could test your theory,  Johan has just rebuilt his Jeep so if he let me drive it we could see how long it would take me to make his look like mine . . . . . . . . !!!

3 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Rene,

Well we could test your theory,  Johan has just rebuilt his Jeep so if he let me drive it we could see how long it would take me to make his look like mine . . . . . . . . !!!

I'm sure Johan will be more than happy to let you do that. 

Mikie

General Apathy

Too late the cameraman . . . . . . . . 

I was stood in the house with music in the background and started to hear a long low drone, by the time I got outdoors with my camera I was too late, too late as they were passing directly over my house and using the village as the turning point, I then heard them again in the distance as they circled round and headed over in the direction of Ste Mere Eglise this is where I managed to get a couple of shots in the distance,  missed the best belly shots over the house.   Eight single file four engined aircraft practising for the parachute drop at the weekend.  Looks like it will be a big one again for the first time since the pandemic struck, normally four nations France, America, Germany and Britain.  

IMG_1823.jpg.2821d790d9ed1622b837ddfecc9e3399.jpg

fullsizeoutput_1285e.jpeg.c72cbf7cb03251785d27daed0f941efd.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  June 01  2022.

Hi Kevin,

April 1966?

Too late the cameraman . . . . . . . . 

I was stood in the house with music in the background and started to hear a long low drone, by the time I got outdoors with my camera I was too late, too late as they were passing directly over my house and using the village as the turning point, I then heard them again in the distance as they circled round and headed over in the direction of Ste Mere Eglise this is where I managed to get a couple of shots in the distance,  missed the best belly shots over the house.   Eight single file four engined aircraft practising for the parachute drop at the weekend.  Looks like it will be a big one again for the first time since the pandemic struck, normally four nations France, America, Germany and Britain.  

IMG_1823.jpg.2821d790d9ed1622b837ddfecc9e3399.jpg

fullsizeoutput_1285e.jpeg.c72cbf7cb03251785d27daed0f941efd.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  June 01  2022.

Nothing like hearing the sound of a plane engine and running outside! I don't think we ever grow up and get tired of the excitement when we hear the engines.

Will you be going to the parachute drop?

...Kat

General Apathy
2 hours ago, cutiger83 said:

Nothing like hearing the sound of a plane engine and running outside! I don't think we ever grow up and get tired of the excitement when we hear the engines.

...Kat

Hi Kat,  well I wish I had heard them earlier and got outside when they were directly overhead they would have been good shots and it was possible to read wording and nationality on the aircraft.

We have no plans for attend the drop,  done them several times over the years and it's like fighting through a pro-league crowd to get positions , we have vehicle and militaria fairs listed for this week, and various visiting friends to catch up with, Johan & friends last night being the first, and I say thank you to Johan for paying for my meal last night

Just having a morning coffee and then I need to get outside and pull out several folding tables I am loaning to the bbq tonight for the German parachutists.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  June 02  2022.

8 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Kat,  well I wish I had heard them earlier and got outside when they were directly overhead they would have been good shots and it was possible to read wording and nationality on the aircraft.

We have no plans for attend the drop,  done them several times over the years and it's like fighting through a pro-league crowd to get positions , we have vehicle and militaria fairs listed for this week, and various visiting friends to catch up with, Johan & friends last night being the first, and I say thank you to Johan for paying for my meal last night

Just having a morning coffee and then I need to get outside and pull out several folding tables I am loaning to the bbq tonight for the German parachutists.

For starters they'll probably have pancakes 😯

12 hours ago, cutiger83 said:

...Kat

I have NEVER EVER EVER done this!  At least not since yesterday.

Mikie  

30 minutes ago, Dogsbody said:

For starters they'll probably have pancakes 😯

Pancakes??!!  Did somebody say pancakes??!!  

In my younger days, my dad used to know how to get me out of bed early on Sunday mornings.  The sound and aroma of pancakes on the griddle would get me out of bed no matter what condition Saturday night left me in.  

Mikie

General Apathy

It's 01h00 4th June 2022 . . . . . . . . . 

For the last two hours we have been swamped with Thunder, Lightening and RAIN, I feel sorry for anyone under canvas this evening, and for any militaria fairs on grass later today. A great pity that people save time and money to attend commemorations this week and the weather is being so foul. 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  June 04  2022.

pararaftanr2
9 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

For the last two hours we have been swamped with Thunder, Lightening and RAIN, I feel sorry for anyone under canvas this evening, and for any militaria fairs on grass later today. A great pity that people save time and money to attend commemorations this week and the weather is being so foul. 

Sounds similar to the weather in June of 1944.

1 hour ago, General Apathy said:

Sad to hear that bad timing. Hope it lets up during the festivities. 

Southern California is clamping down with some major water restrictions due to our serious drought. Just a matter of time till they do the same up here in the northern part of the state.

Best wishes to everyone attending the events!

Mikie

On 5/30/2022 at 1:57 PM, General Apathy said:

IMG_1799.jpg

Ok, here is my guess... It's June 1946. Somebody just mixed the month and year around. 

Mikie

General Apathy
4 hours ago, mikie said:

Sad to hear that bad timing. Hope it lets up during the festivities. 

Southern California is clamping down with some major

restrictions due to our serious drought. Just a matter of time till they do the same up here in the northern part of the state.

Best wishes to everyone attending the events!

Mikie

Hi Mikie,  well it was 05h30 when I got out of bed this morning and just having my coffee and preparing for the first militaria fair this morning in Carentan, see what Jeep pieces are out there to be bought, thankfully it's in a covered cattle market.

Sat on the next table to a French couple last night in a restaurant, they were from Strasbourg, he had a Jeep Tee shirt on and I asked if he had a Jeep, then the list started, six Jeeps all Hotchkiss models, GMC, Dodge 6 x 6, signal Corp wire trailer, Jeep trailers, half-track and a Sherman all supported with photographs of his vehicle storage facility. I asked where he was staying after seeing his Signal Corp trailer as I wanted to give him a Signal pole I had for looping telephone wires across roadside trees ( I have a photograph of one in use but not to hand this morning ) anyway turns out he already has the two part pole but he was grateful for the offer, I could see that it would have gone to a good home instead of languishing unused in my Shoebox . . . . . . . The storm hadn't started while we were in the restaurant but they were holed up in a hotel anyway ...

General Apathy
4 hours ago, mikie said:

Ok, here is my guess... It's June 1946. Somebody just mixed the month and year around. 

Mikie

Hi Mikie,

It's a British company rebuild plate and we always end with the year so the Brits do Day, Month, Year, for me it would be a 4 / 66 rebuild which would be 21 years after the 1945 rebuild plate in California.   

8 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie,

It's a British company rebuild plate and we always end with the year so the Brits do Day, Month, Year, for me it would be a 4 / 66 rebuild which would be 21 years after the 1945 rebuild plate in California.   

I said it was my guess. I didn't day anything about it being a good one. But maybe it was stamped after a liquid lunch? 

Mikie

On 5/27/2022 at 9:37 AM, General Apathy said:

about a week ago I posted bout two fatalities in a Jeep . . . . . taking precautions now

About a week go I posted about a Jeep that was hit in the rear by a Mercedes travelling at roughly three times the speed of the Jeep, so yesterday I bought some clip-on bicycle high power LED lamps, I have fitted to my rear grab handles and to the front grille. I will be using these during daylight as well as at night, ( quite effective even in daylight ) todays drivers are not used to slower vehicles out on the rod.

fitting to the rear grab handles was easy as they are similar size as bicycle handlebars.  On the grille at the front I used a couple of pieces of tubing slotted into the rear of the grill to prevent the edges of the grille cutting through the light straps.

Available are a second style of light fitting with just a clip on the rear this can simply be slid onto the top edge of the rear bumperettes.  

.fullsizeoutput_127be.jpeg.6cf86aa4da90326d561be7c4167900a0.jpeg 

fullsizeoutput_127ce.jpeg.a9ee2fb8aca2131f109482da778ade3f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_127d3.jpeg.948b97d8195eb10c7154a4265e5e4db0.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_127d8.jpeg.b0edd8be7d431ae80147d093d2846a8f.jpeg

IMG_1756.jpg.59ae323eb97f7be0f48d327fc145df99.jpg

fullsizeoutput_127da.jpeg.84993713a50b195bdeb3b93f7fdbd364.jpeg

IMG_1761.jpg.dbc6eea7c806763e2b772bf7c8178dcb.jpg

fullsizeoutput_127db.jpeg.78eacce27253f7fc340301ad7096ff22.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent,  May 27  2022.

Hi Ken, Wishing you well on this D-Day eve +78 years. Sadly I cannot be over this year; however my son is with his friends and 2 Jeeps! They are driving around with bustle racks to keep the extra canvases and rain gear in (looks like it will be needed again this year!!). They have attached adapted civilian tow boards to the rear for added safety.

Your bike LED system is brilliant. I have just ordered some for my Jeep, thank you.

For my bustle rack (which obscures the main Jeep tail lights as we know), I have ordered a NOS trailer plug and lead, with two rear lights and connectors. I will attach these with brackets onto the bustle rack giving me added rear lights. I shall forward photos when complete. I will also add the LED lights also for sure!

Safe driving, and my best wishes to you at this special time of year in Normandy! Cheers Graham

Jeep trailer lights.jpg