Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy
2 hours ago, mikie said:

Wow!  I'm having a jeep overdose just looking at the pictures!  "OD"ing on OD again.

Mikie

Hi Mikie,

all very well looking at O.D. but what you don't want is to get O.D. in your lungs from Jeep spraying, it was all done pretty much without any safety masks some years ago, just holding your breath during bursts of spraying . . . . . . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 22  2021.

" Life's too short for reproductions "

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

General Apathy

Time for something different, Then & Now again today . . . . . . . . . . 

pretty much self explanatory images, the second photo wasn't so easy to achieve as several buildings have now appeared where trees once were, nice to see that the large trees on the right are still to be seen.  ( there were 3,000 soldiers buried in the area of the first photo )

Note in the third photo there is a parade line showing just above the white fence, with the brass fireman helmets on the left side of the photo, again here I couldn't stand in the exact spot due to buildings and a fenced enclosure. ( there were 3,500 soldiers buried in the area of the third photo )

I find these shots quite poignant and sad seeing so many lost lives, many before they had even begun their life's journey's.  ( there was a third cemetery at Blosville with 6,500 soldiers buried there, this is the cemetery where the fifteen year old French lad helped to dig graves and still alive at ninety-two )

.fullsizeoutput_e773.jpeg.c5224d3aa18946627e01c32c75819bd2.jpeg

.5.jpg.b1d3a88acfa5bd56fff70b76c381a00e.jpg

.IMG_0755.jpg.71825e2e16c83e89e10ff254f26ca2ae.jpg

.fullsizeoutput_e768.jpeg.f6dbb4a7e0f9e730d571c243393c1723.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_e76a.jpeg.04de38593cd5d67c45bf533b4985841a.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 22  2021.

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

4 hours ago, mikie said:

Thank you, Ken.  Collecting is a fun and interesting hobby, but we should always keep in mind the true cost of the relics we collect. 

Mikie 

Mikie,

Very well said.

Ken,

Thank you for these reminders of the cost of war.

...Kat

General Apathy
17 hours ago, mikie said:

Wow!  I'm having a jeep overdose just looking at the pictures!  "OD"ing on OD again.

Mikie

Hi Mikie,

Here's another one from last weekends anniversary Jeep meet, this owner doesn't appear to want his Jeep off the road during his rolling / running restoration . . . . . . . . . .

.fullsizeoutput_e777.jpeg.1df4b55a4cb8df00f0457b2788a54fa3.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 23  2021.

23 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

That list is not complete... Here's an example of an August 1942 Ford GPW with U.S.A. 20149969 hood number retrofitted with the tombstone bracket and BO Light.

GPW-42-TurkeyFarm-CampLee (2).jpg

Well, no doubt the mentioned list was considered the bare minimum and other vehicles without a BODL kit were grabbed and fitted if they turned up, in spirit with the official order... Happy I have one, they are rare and expensive parts but so are most slat parts.

The restoration of our jeep was finished 25 years or so ago and could use a light touch-up here and there. I also want to improve some things so I've been making a list and started looking around but it will never be factory standard.

Johan Willaert
31 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

fullsizeoutput_e777.jpeg.1df4b55a4cb8df00f0457b2788a54fa3.jpeg

Some more Jeep trivia... the one posted above is actually one of the very first Willys MB...
Not only does it have the early slatt grille, but also the early lower windshield, and matching hood (bonnet) on which the hood blocks are further from the edge and the windshield hooks are longer again to match that shorter windshield...

General Apathy
26 minutes ago, Johan Willaert said:

Some more Jeep trivia... the one posted above is actually one of the very first Willys MB...
Not only does it have the early slatt grille, but also the early lower windshield, and matching hood (bonnet) on which the hood blocks are further from the edge and the windshield hooks are longer again to match that shorter windshield...

Hahahaaaa. thanks Johan,  I forgot to add slat grille details . . . . . . . . .

also to be seen . . . . . . . . ( many other details for a slat grille but unseen in the photo )

Correct No wing blackout lamp ( although the drilled holes do appear evident in the wing )

Correct non-split wheel rims

Correct BLACK plastic steering wheel

Correct No jerrycan on the rear

Correct square edged body design for the fuel tank

Correct bolt heads visible on the hood for the underside air deflector

General Apathy
23 hours ago, mikie said:

Thank you, Ken.  Collecting is a fun and interesting hobby, but we should always keep in mind the true cost of the relics we collect. 

Mikie 

18 hours ago, cutiger83 said:

Mikie,

Very well said.

Ken,

Thank you for these reminders of the cost of war.

...Kat

Hi Mikie & Kat.

about four years ago I was given a discarded and battered wartime photo album. The unknown owner was part of the crew of a trawler commandeered in 1939 by the British Navy and converted to a mine-sweeper.  I took another look through it last night and spent time taking in what few details and names there are, the  attached photo shows the mine-sweeper ' Thrifty ' , heading off to Dover for the journey across to Dunkirk to help lift retreating servicemen off the beaches.  The second photo explains that the ship only had two rifles for defence before being issued two Lewis machine guns, and at Dunkirk the crew picked up abandoned rifles to supplement their armaments.  In further photos in the album it shows the ' Thrifty ' towing four smaller ships across the English Channel to be used for picking servicemen off the beach and transferring to larger ships in deeper water, in the final count over 300,000 servicemen were rescued from capture. 

It's such a pity that this crew and owner of the album are not identified.  Other photos show them taking part in the supply runs through the arctic to Murmansk in Russia, the decks and superstructure thick with frozen ice,  also convoy duties with rising plumes of smoke from torpedoed ships. Another photo shows the recovery of a dead Battle of Britain fighter pilot, and a subsequent photo his burial at sea . . . . . .

Two films have been made about Dunkirk, my preference is the original version made in 1957 featuring the British actor John Mills. This version shows the enormity of the servicemen trapped on the beaches being bombed and strafed daily, with the loss of men, ships and equipment, my Uncle Jack was a surviver of Dunkirk and also a survivor of WWII in 1945.

I have been on-line this evening searching for websites that could make use of these unpublished images and give a wider audience to the deeds and men portrayed in the album. 

.fullsizeoutput_e779.jpeg.a41441aa5b46e0b430c63f006cc69a24.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_e77b.jpeg.7d6943e7a15438f77dff349bab07a643.jpeg

19 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie & Kat.

about four years ago I was given a discarded and battered wartime photo album. The unknown owner was part of the crew of a trawler commandeered in 1939 by the British Navy and converted to a mine-sweeper.  I took another look through it last night and spent time taking in what few details and names there are, the  attached photo shows the mine-sweeper ' Thrifty ' , heading off to Dover for the journey across to Dunkirk to help lift retreating servicemen off the beaches.  The second photo explains that the ship only had two rifles for defence before being issued two Lewis machine guns, and at Dunkirk the crew picked up abandoned rifles to supplement their armaments.  In further photos in the album it shows the ' Thrifty ' towing four smaller ships across the English Channel to be used for picking servicemen off the beach and transferring to larger ships in deeper water, in the final count over 300,000 servicemen were rescued from capture. 

It's such a pity that this crew and owner of the album are not identified.  Other photos show them taking part in the supply runs through the arctic to Murmansk in Russia, the decks and superstructure thick with frozen ice,  also convoy duties with rising plumes of smoke from torpedoed ships. Another photo shows the recovery of a dead Battle of Britain fighter pilot, and a subsequent photo his burial at sea . . . . . .

Two films have been made about Dunkirk, my preference is the original version made in 1957 featuring the British actor John Mills. This version shows the enormity of the servicemen trapped on the beaches being bombed and strafed daily, with the loss of men, ships and equipment, my Uncle Jack was a surviver of Dunkirk and also a survivor of WWII in 1945.

I have been on-line this evening searching for websites that could make use of these unpublished images and give a wider audience to the deeds and men portrayed in the album. 

.fullsizeoutput_e779.jpeg.a41441aa5b46e0b430c63f006cc69a24.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_e77b.jpeg.7d6943e7a15438f77dff349bab07a643.jpeg

That is a remarkable record of such a historical event.  How may photos are in the album? I'd love to see more.

Mikie  

Tomorrow, November 25, we will be celebrating Thanksgiving here in the States.  Though you folks elsewhere probably do not celebrate it, I wish you all the best anyway.  Far from the least of things, I am thankful for being a part of the Norman D. Landing community.  

I found this photo that shows US 3rd Division soldiers eating what looks like turkey, but there was no caption to the photo.  I have no idea if that is a jeep hood they are eating on, but figured it would give Ken, Johan and some others here something to "chew" on for a while.     

Happy Thanksgiving one and all!  

Mikie

Thanksgiving 1944.jpg

General Apathy
1 hour ago, mikie said:

Tomorrow, November 25, we will be celebrating Thanksgiving here in the States.  Though you folks elsewhere probably do not celebrate it, I wish you all the best anyway.  Far from the least of things, I am thankful for being a part of the Norman D. Landing community.  

I found this photo that shows US 3rd Division soldiers eating what looks like turkey, but there was no caption to the photo.  I have no idea if that is a jeep hood they are eating on, but figured it would give Ken, Johan and some others here something to "chew" on for a while.     

Mikie

Thanksgiving 1944.jpg

Hi Mikie,

Thanks,  Happy Thanksgiving day to everyone and thanks Mikie for regularly joining in on the thread, it helps to keep things moving along.

Yes it's the hood of a Ford GPW they are using as a dining table, and Father Christmas has delivered 200 Philip Morris cigarettes to the soldier on the right.  

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 24  2021.

General Apathy
1 hour ago, mikie said:

That is a remarkable record of such a historical event.  How may photos are in the album? I'd love to see more.

Mikie  

Hi Mikie, 

Thanks I will take a few more outside in natural daylight tomorrow, too much reflection indoors this evening to make decent copies.  

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 24  2021.

17 hours ago, mikie said:

Mikie

Thanksgiving 1944.jpg

Also note the sloppily painted circle around the star... that would drive some people crazy at MV shows now 🤣

General Apathy

From the Shoebox collection . . . . . . 

Although a vast amount of my life's collection has now been sold at auction in the past three years, I retained these four U.S. military locks for possible use with the Jeep.  Very difficult to try and date,  the oldest and most desirable must be top left and marked ' Ordnance Department USA ' and the most recent and post WWII one the bottom right non-brass lock.

.fullsizeoutput_e7c7.jpeg.9fc8b0c3e919a0e21099afec5ea3ec5e.jpeg 

.fullsizeoutput_e7c4.jpeg.665a2603a07ae69d3b137451d49309df.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 25  2021.

General Apathy
8 minutes ago, earlymb said:

Also note the sloppily painted circle around the star... that would drive some people crazy at MV shows now 🤣

Hi earlymb

yes you are definitely right about the field / combat free-hand painted circle it would drive some perfectionists mental, but I love these weird details.  I almost mentioned that its possibly one of the only photos showing the circle pattern on the wood blocks for the windscreen.  Notice over on the left wing there is the handle of a decontamination unit visible.

.423446594_Thanksgiving1944.jpg.cb30018ce21bacb1ace0af1bc3b89df8.jpg.4a1abf942506b09b5c055e1425d445f1.jpg 

Johan Willaert
25 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

I almost mentioned that its possibly one of the only photos showing the circle pattern on the wood blocks for the windscreen.  

My Jeep many years ago

GPWNormandy1989.jpg

General Apathy
12 minutes ago, Johan Willaert said:

My Jeep many years ago

GPWNormandy1989.jpg

Hi Johan,

The hand-brake worked then  . . . . . . . . . . . .  :lol:

General Apathy
14 minutes ago, Johan Willaert said:

Based on this often published photo

1DivJeepsWartime.jpg

Hi Johan,

last week a local farmer told me he has one of the snorkel tubes shown beside the windscreen on all the Jeeps in your photograph, he will show me on another visit. ( I'm hoping there's still a Jeep attached to it, hahhaaaaaa )

General Apathy
20 hours ago, mikie said:

Mikie  

Hi Mikie,

A three images from the start of the album, the first photo is annotated that this was his first ship in July 1939.

The second photo shows a Broadside being fired by HMS Resolution.

The third photo makes a joke about Adolf Hitler.

.fullsizeoutput_e7d5.jpeg.e5f9d28720647640a587b029e3efda29.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_e7d4.jpeg.99347e5ad5b84b0923a661f75e908cf1.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_e7d6.jpeg.f3775ac03acdec37ae996e4e652cde2c.jpeg

General Apathy
20 hours ago, mikie said:

Mikie  

Hi Mikie,

This photo shows the enjoyment felt by ships & boats crews at the news that the dreaded Battleship the Bismarck had been sunk 27th May 1941.  The Bismarck was armed with eight 38cm. guns ( 15 inch, 4 forward 4 aft. ) and twelve 15cm. guns ( 5.9 inch, 3 twin armoured turrets each side ).

Shown below is a 1940 Anzeiger 15cm. ( gun controller ) for the side armaments on German wartime Battleships. I bought this back in the 1970's from a wartime scientist that studied captured German equipment. 

.fullsizeoutput_e7e2.jpeg.43ed38107d6b69c7b2a0146d09de4395.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_e7f2.jpeg.d52a6db5fd3cbce0feddca35883d99a7.jpeg

General Apathy

Local Normandy find . . . . . . . 

I don't have the full story but this has just been recently recovered from a local property. 

.fullsizeoutput_e8e3.jpeg.7296ee20d56842fdfe5c9edd8cb886ab.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 26  2021.

On 11/25/2021 at 5:49 AM, General Apathy said:

Hi earlymb

yes you are definitely right about the field / combat free-hand painted circle it would drive some perfectionists mental, but I love these weird details.  I almost mentioned that its possibly one of the only photos showing the circle pattern on the wood blocks for the windscreen.  Notice over on the left wing there is the handle of a decontamination unit visible.

.423446594_Thanksgiving1944.jpg.cb30018ce21bacb1ace0af1bc3b89df8.jpg.4a1abf942506b09b5c055e1425d445f1.jpg 

Ken,

I love how you see so many details. It took a minute but I figured out what you meant by the wood painted white. However, I still can't find what you mean about the decontamination handle. Is that the very small handle near the left side of the hood near the hinge?

..Kat

On 11/25/2021 at 8:38 AM, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie,

This photo shows the enjoyment felt by ships & boats crews at the news that the dreaded Battleship the Bismarck had been sunk 27th May 1941.  The Bismarck was armed with eight 38cm. guns ( 15 inch, 4 forward 4 aft. ) and twelve 15cm. guns ( 5.9 inch, 3 twin armoured turrets each side ).

Shown below is a 1940 Anzeiger 15cm. ( gun controller ) for the side armaments on German wartime Battleships. I bought this back in the 1970's from a wartime scientist that studied captured German equipment. 

.fullsizeoutput_e7e2.jpeg.43ed38107d6b69c7b2a0146d09de4395.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_e7f2.jpeg.d52a6db5fd3cbce0feddca35883d99a7.jpeg

The German instruments are too cool!!  Very interesting!

...Kat