Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

Utah Beach find by local friend . . . . . . . 

One of my local friends drove a UK friend to Utah beach today and found this washed ashore, it has the appearance of a US military boot insole, the size is either a 6 or 9 dependant on which way it's viewed.

.fullsizeoutput_e4f7.jpeg.8efefb16674989418e72e32f049fb02e.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_e4f8.jpeg.d0422eab252221c1170c56f801d6128c.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 15  2021.

" Life's too short for reproductions "

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

On 11/15/2021 at 8:03 AM, General Apathy said:

Utah Beach find by local friend . . . . . . . 

One of my local friends drove a UK friend to Utah beach today and found this washed ashore, it has the appearance of a US military boot insole, the size is either a 6 or 9 dependant on which way it's viewed.

.fullsizeoutput_e4f7.jpeg.8efefb16674989418e72e32f049fb02e.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_e4f8.jpeg.d0422eab252221c1170c56f801d6128c.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 15  2021.

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

Amazing.  More interesting to me than a whole case of new surplus boots.  Though a set of those would be a bit more comfier on the feet.   

Mikie

General Apathy
3 hours ago, mikie said:

Amazing.  More interesting to me than a whole case of new surplus boots.  Though a set of those would be a bit more comfier on the feet.   

Mikie

Hi Mikie,

a few pieces of string wrapped around it and your foot and you would have a sandel  . . . . . . . . . . . . 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 16  2021.

General Apathy

Tying things together . . . . . . . . . . . metaphorically !!

For a long time I was aware of materials that were gathered together in the UK before D-Day that would be shipped across to France and used for the repairing of the damaged infrastructure, I posted a photo back in 2017 showing clay glazed pipes that would be used for sewerage pipe repairs stored at a US storage facility.

Today I tied that photograph together with several such sewerage pipes I was shown, the pipes are embossed as follows

POOLE

G. JENNINGS

DORSET

BRITISH MADE

I promised the owner that I wouldn't publish any photographs I took, so I am adhering to that.

The next part of tying things together is that I have a photograph of the French works that all the shipped building materials were stored at ready for distribution and use possibly by engineering units, I still have to find these offices and factory unit if they still exist now seventy years after the war.  

So the hunt is on, it took me many years to find or see any of these glazed pipes, it may take several years to find the French factory.

.fullsizeoutput_e539.jpeg.9cac0358cee814f38a99302d0e329cb8.jpeg 

.fullsizeoutput_e538.jpeg.97858af3b57c41758ae5d39adb00ee91.jpeg

2 hours ago, General Apathy said:

For a long time I was aware of materials that were gathered together in the UK before D-Day that would be shipped across to France and used for the repairing of the damaged infrastructure, I posted a photo back in 2017 showing clay glazed pipes that would be used for sewerage pipe repairs stored at a US storage facility.

Today I tied that photograph together with several such sewerage pipes I was shown, the pipes are embossed as follows

POOLE

G. JENNINGS

DORSET

BRITISH MADE

I promised the owner that I wouldn't publish any photographs I took, so I am adhering to that.

The next part of tying things together is that I have a photograph of the French works that all the shipped building materials were stored at ready for distribution and use possibly by engineering units, I still have to find these offices and factory unit if they still exist now seventy years after the war.  

So the hunt is on, it took me many years to find or see any of these glazed pipes, it may take several years to find the French factory.

Best of luck on your quest.  Keep us informed of any new developments.  With your deductive skills, I'm sure this won't go down the drain and become a pipe dream.  

Seriously, I can never get over the amount and different kinds of material it takes to fight a war.  And then clean up afterwards. 

All endlessly interesting to me.  

Mikie

General Apathy
24 minutes ago, mikie said:

Best of luck on your quest.  Keep us informed of any new developments.  With your deductive skills, I'm sure this won't go down the drain and become a pipe dream.  

Seriously, I can never get over the amount and different kinds of material it takes to fight a war.  And then clean up afterwards. 

All endlessly interesting to me.  

Mikie

Hi Mikie,

today after years of looking and waiting I felt flushed with success at seeing several of these pipes, now I have got into the flow of things then maybe I won't let it wash away from me . . . . . . . . it would be crap if it did do. :lol:

General Apathy

As I was driving by . . . . . . . . . 

out on the road today I spotted these flag poles, always a good sign of a memorial underneath, I turned around and went back. It was an unfamiliar route for me and apparently this monument was only set up less than two years ago.

It's in memory of General Bradley and the men of his headquarters group that set up a tented camp here 2nd July 1944 and stayed until 2nd August 1944.  It's about five Kilometres outside Isigny sur Mer on the St. Lo road. 

.fullsizeoutput_e550.jpeg.0a2870cd03d55a91592dfd1d1c1fb1f9.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_e551.jpeg.a952e29b7c424db2543065a522800531.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_e54e.jpeg.041243872dd51196d4e25689507ca878.jpeg

2 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie,

today after years of looking and waiting I felt flushed with success at seeing several of these pipes, now I have got into the flow of things then maybe I won't let it wash away from me . . . . . . . . it would be crap if it did do. :lol:

It is posts like this that make me wish we had a laughing emoji instead of just a "like" button.

....Kat

6 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie,

😆😆😆

12 hours ago, General Apathy said:

POOLE

G. JENNINGS

DORSET

BRITISH MADE

Where did you find the first picture? On youTUBE?

General Apathy
4 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

Where did you find the first picture? On youTUBE?

Hi Rene,

No I didn't,  I always find it quite draining looking for photo's on-line . . . . . . . . . .

Why was the plumber so good at playing cards? It was because a good flush beats a full house any time of the day!

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 17  2021.

General Apathy

a special day today . . . . . . . . .

.fullsizeoutput_e31d.jpeg.6a133598913abd0e5075174b7b8d23e4.jpeg

3 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Happy Birthday Lauren!

8 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Happy birthday! I hope she has a great day!!

..Kat

General Apathy
On 11/13/2021 at 11:22 AM, Johan Willaert said:

275-GPW56685-17Jun21 (9).JPG

Hi Johan,

thanks for the shot of your finished engine bay, the passenger side radiator grille earthing strap can just be seen, I have shown this field recovered Jeep grille before but its a good opportunity to show the drivers side earthing strap still in place by using both photos.

.fullsizeoutput_e5c4.jpeg.e7eb7263b5429aff13209947dfc4a8af.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_e5d2.jpeg.49ff2449a2a7069bce04189cd9fcdae6.jpeg

General Apathy
17 minutes ago, cutiger83 said:

Happy birthday! I hope she has a great day!!

..Kat

Hi Kat,

Thank you I will pass those kind comments onto her.   I spoke to her earlier today and she was having a pretty good day and went out to lunch with her partner. All was going well until the afternoon when they took the family dog to the vets and were quoted an allergy test bill of £1,500, plus more for any medication suggested. :o

Johan Willaert
On 11/17/2021 at 10:08 PM, General Apathy said:

thanks for the shot of your finished engine bay, the passenger side radiator grille earthing strap can just be seen, I have shown this field recovered Jeep grille before but its a good opportunity to show the drivers side earthing strap still in place by using both photos.

The whole purpose of the tinned locations, bonding straps and special toothed washers was to 'bond' the entire vehicle which along with two different types of suppression equipment (filters and/or capacitators) reduced interference to radio communication...

The hood (bonnet) which obviously was hinged and not an integral part of the body was grounded through bonding straps going from the body firewall to the hood across the hinge, and through two tinned spots towards the inside front which rubbed on the bonding straps over and under the radiator grille welting.

Photos below show what Ken is referring to above (better view of the two straps on top of the grille, detail of one of those straps, view of the opened hood with the straps across the hinge shown along with the two tinned spots near the front edge of the hood)...

275-GPW56685-17Jun21 (10).JPG

220-GPW56685-01Mar21 (2).JPG

279-GPW56685-29Jun21 (57).JPG

All very interesting info on building a jeep. It all almost makes me want to buy an old wreck and rebuild it myself. And then the reality of my total lack of mechanical skills reasserts itself. But I like the lessons here anyway. 

Mikie

On 11/17/2021 at 1:08 PM, General Apathy said:

Hi Johan,

.fullsizeoutput_e5c4.jpeg.e7eb7263b5429aff13209947dfc4a8af.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_e5d2.jpeg.49ff2449a2a7069bce04189cd9fcdae6.jpeg

The grille in the second picture would be my jeep AFTER my attempts at restoration. Cool artifact, by the way. I don't remember if it's been discussed here before. Any story about it? 

Mikie

General Apathy
On 11/19/2021 at 12:12 AM, mikie said:

I forgot to say I hope she and the Little One are doing well.  

Mikie

Hi Mikie.

thanks yes they are doing well, William is growing, and presently teething so I understand, I passed on your wishes to Lauren and she said thanks and enjoyed receiving them.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 21  2021.

General Apathy
13 hours ago, mikie said:

All very interesting info on building a jeep. It all almost makes me want to buy an old wreck and rebuild it myself. And then the reality of my total lack of mechanical skills reasserts itself. But I like the lessons here anyway. 

Mikie

Hi Mikie

Well I am pleased that you like the Jeep stuff and we have to thank Johan for some great photos of his rebuild, and as the saying goes one photograph is worth a thousand words.  The Ford pressed steel grille features it's own air deflector on the radiator side of the grille,

however as all Willy's and Ford parts are interchangeable Ford added these indents for showing drilling positions if their Ford hood was ever used on a Willy's Slat Grille MB. As the Willy's slat grille MB doesn't have a deflector on the actual grille one was added to the engine hood to provide a deflector when the hood was in the closed position. 

The photo below of a crated Willys MB shows the air deflector in position.  It also shows the plated unpainted points on the front edge of the hood, and other tinned and earth strap positions,  the small lustreless blue lettering on the side of the engine hood and the letter S for suppressed.  

Also most interestingly the un-painted blackened brass fittings for the canvas doors. 

What is also interesting in the re-assembly photograph is that they have put the Jeeps nose to nose, tail to tail so that the mechanic only has to turn around to complete the same re-assembly on two Jeeps saving time walking back and forth between Jeeps. 

fullsizeoutput_e6ef.jpeg.e663ccd48ab1dec288d56e37da5f73fb.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_e6ff.jpeg.8ef1332cfab794aee3a745d5592646e5.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 21  2021.

Also notice the black battery hold-down frame laying on the fender. Notice how this jeep is obviously not a slat grille but they still kept installing the air deflector, which is as Ken already noted not needed with the standard pressed grille.

Below the front of our slat grille, you can clearly see the 3 air deflectors and the retro-fitted 'tombstone' fender black-out light bracket... which is a whole topic on itself. :)

1935837251_2017-05-0615_30_05.jpg.42291c3f3b7fea8d58b61eb9e6ccd439.jpg

Johan Willaert

Deflectors were mounted on all Willys MBs , not only on the slattgrille, until they too,started using the Ford type hood with the introduction of the ACM2 composit bodies in January 1944.

Between October and December 1943, Ford GPWs were fitted with Willys style ACM1 bodies and hoods and those too had the deflector. Ford style hoods were never fitted with the deflector although the dimples as described by Ken above were there throughout production.

Johan Willaert
2 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

Between October and December 1943, Ford GPWs were fitted with Willys style ACM1 bodies and hoods and those too had the deflector.

Late 1943 GPW fitted with Willys MB style hood with deflector

GPW-ATS-Northamptonshire-Jan43.jpg