Norman D. Landing

bilko1

We call it Veteran's Day here now.  It doesn't get much publicity or attention as it used to when I was young.   Here is my poppy I printed out pinned on my lab coat at work.  Nobody wears them here anymore, except maybe me.  My Dad used to buy some for us every year from the Veteran's Hall when I was a kid.  A lost tradition I do my best to keep alive. 

Mikie 

Poppy (2).jpg

On 11/6/2021 at 8:42 AM, General Apathy said:

Hi Graham,

Geez is this stuff still coming out of Russia,  I was buying bundles of them 20 / 25 years ago all new old stock and unused,  there was also thousands of unused five-pocket 20 round Thompson magazine pouches but all these were undated and didn't have the U.S. stamp on them.  Then there was also a warehouse full of unfired Thompson machine-guns, but all these had to be deactivated before they could be sold in the UK.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 06  2021.

" Life's too short for reproductions "

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

Mama Mia! So much new stuff  and still bundled after all this time.  Amazing. Did the Russians actually USE any of this stuff?  Was there any Russian tags or documents that came with the belts?  If so, that would be interesting to see.  Even though I can't read Russian. 

Mikie 

8 hours ago, General Apathy said:

WWII Manufacturing mistakes . . . . .

handling quantities of WWII American surplus I always enjoyed seeing ' manufacturing mistakes ' amongst the stocks.  Shown below are photos of one of the bundles of WWII USMC covers that I had.  I found just one cover within the bundles I had that was made from two different material weaves, one half of the cover was HBT weave and the opposite half was a Plain weave

.fullsizeoutput_e338.jpeg.b0717bc7545c3336afaae05a5039901a.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_e1eb.jpeg.e657ca3f1feddf5fd35c66e7ad8e157d.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 12  2021.

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

Ken,

Wow! You really have an eye to spot this! Very interesting!

...Kat

9 hours ago, General Apathy said:

It accidentally posted twice so I thought I would edit this one.  

I was looking at your post about the 15 year old who was part of the graves registration. War sure does make kids grow up fast. Civilians are affected so much during war. People tend to forget about the civilians. 

...Kat

Johan Willaert
On 11/8/2021 at 8:19 PM, General Apathy said:

Again,  should Jeeps be O.D. Green all over . . . . . . 

Well no not when constructed at the factory,  there were a number of points on the Jeep, chassis and body that were tinned and unpainted for bonding / grounding earthing straps for radio noise suppression.  Over the years of rebuilds on Jeeps these invariably get painted over, very few Jeep owners ever get to see untouched tinned areas while refurbishing their Jeep.  Happily there are restorers that try to re-commission the tinned areas, such as in these photos I had from a UK friend showing how he tinned the bare metal and then painted around the tinned area.

The number and location of tinned bonding areas and use of bonding straps along with toothed washers varied throughou production of Jeeps.
On my 1942 GPW I apllied the tinning in the original spots, along with the appropriate bonding strap set for its production time.
Along with correct wiring, it is a huge help in easy starting and overall grounding... Most people are just amazed how easy and fast our 6 Volt Jeeps start...

Some exaples of retinned areas...

218-GPW56685-27Feb21 (1).JPG

225-GPW56685-07Mar21 (2).JPG

225-GPW56685-07Mar21 (4).JPG

225-GPW56685-07Mar21 (6).JPG

Johan Willaert
On 11/7/2021 at 1:33 PM, General Apathy said:

last week when I sent a group of friends a photo of the Jeep I am currently helping with, one of them came back that he liked the work all except the ' chrome ' bolts, well in fact they aren't chrome bolts but un-painted Cadmium / Zinc plated bolts and vehicles certainly came from the US factories like this and here is some evidence of that. . . . . . . . . . . lots of the vehicles involved in D-Day were re-sprayed all over prior to D-Day and from this the thought that military vehicles were O.D. green all over.

Keep in mind though that just about all Jeeps received a final coat of olive drab after being accepted by the Ordnance Officer in the factory, and thus many rubber and leather parts were also sprayed OD. I did same thing on mine, although keeping a few parts unpainted....
Parts which would nat have been exposed, such as under the hood, were not painted overall...

275-GPW56685-17Jun21 (9).JPG

On 11/12/2021 at 12:55 PM, General Apathy said:

WWII Manufacturing mistakes . . . . .

handling quantities of WWII American surplus I always enjoyed seeing ' manufacturing mistakes ' amongst the stocks.  Shown below are photos of one of the bundles of WWII USMC covers that I had.  I found just one cover within the bundles I had that was made from two different material weaves, one half of the cover was HBT weave and the opposite half was a Plain weave

.fullsizeoutput_e338.jpeg.b0717bc7545c3336afaae05a5039901a.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_e1eb.jpeg.e657ca3f1feddf5fd35c66e7ad8e157d.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 12  2021.

Love this post Ken! Who would believe it, if it wasn't recorded by you!

If only I purchased more from you at the time...................

Cheers Graham

On 11/6/2021 at 3:42 PM, General Apathy said:

Hi Graham,

Geez is this stuff still coming out of Russia,  I was buying bundles of them 20 / 25 years ago all new old stock and unused,  there was also thousands of unused five-pocket 20 round Thompson magazine pouches but all these were undated and didn't have the U.S. stamp on them.  Then there was also a warehouse full of unfired Thompson machine-guns, but all these had to be deactivated before they could be sold in the UK.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 06  2021.

Hi Ken, yes, it is incredible isn't it! I am still searching for a photo of a Russian wearing one of these belts.... I guess they didn't get issued due to the quantity still in 'reserves'!

Cheers Graham

General Apathy
On 11/12/2021 at 8:38 PM, mikie said:

We call it Veteran's Day here now.  It doesn't get much publicity or attention as it used to when I was young.   Here is my poppy I printed out pinned on my lab coat at work.  Nobody wears them here anymore, except maybe me.  My Dad used to buy some for us every year from the Veteran's Hall when I was a kid.  A lost tradition I do my best to keep alive. 

Mikie 

Poppy (2).jpg

Hi Mikie,

This evening there is an evening of commemoration being broadcast from the Albert Hall in London between the songs certain details of WWI and WWII are given out.  It was just said that the first ' silk ' poppies were made in 1921 by widows and orphans of deceased soldiers thereby giving them wages to help with the loss of the man of the house, nine million poppies were sold that year in 1921.  Today an annual figure of thirty-five million poppies are sold to UK citizens.  Maybe you could follow one of these evening on a Youtube video, at the end of the evening thousands of poppy petals are released from the ceiling and drift down onto the assembled below, these poppy petals are supposed to represent every single fallen soldier.  I first attended this ceremony when I was around nine or ten and the symbolism and sentiment has lingered with me.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ed4xtDnrf0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbaSIxyhpgw

I am pleased and thank you that you are fighting the tide of apathy by wearing  a symbol of remembrance for fallen and wounded soldiers.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 13  2021.

General Apathy
22 hours ago, cutiger83 said:

It accidentally posted twice so I thought I would edit this one.  

I was looking at your post about the 15 year old who was part of the graves registration. War sure does make kids grow up fast. Civilians are affected so much during war. People tend to forget about the civilians. 

...Kat

Hi Kat

Yes I think this image taken in Pont L'Abbe in 1944 which is just a couple of miles from where I now live brings home the shock of death and destruction seen by many young children during conflicts wherever that may be.

.fullsizeoutput_e3f0.jpeg.f0dfe4a0e7df0e201117001954f39f60.jpeg 

General Apathy
10 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

Keep in mind though that just about all Jeeps received a final coat of olive drab after being accepted by the Ordnance Officer in the factory, and thus many rubber and leather parts were also sprayed OD. I did same thing on mine, although keeping a few parts unpainted....
Parts which would nat have been exposed, such as under the hood, were not painted overall...

275-GPW56685-17Jun21 (9).JPG

Hi Johan,  a well restored engine bay , very admirable the detail that you have gone to in your restoration, if you leave it thirty years it might begin to look like mine :lol: , but I won't be here to see it.  !!!! 

Funny the life of a Jeep how different each and every one of them were treated, you mention having an all over spray but leaving under the hood not over-sprayed,  in my take-off boxes from the mid 70's I have certainly several carburettors and fuel pumps that have been over-sprayed, so it did happen !!.  Sometime when I am searching through these boxes I will find and photograph them.   

Johan Willaert

This shows how sometimes the engine bay and its components received Olive Drab overspray...
Note the piece of cardboard or wood just inside the fender giving only minimal protection to the engine bay...

MB-Assembly (1).jpg

General Apathy
On 11/13/2021 at 11:12 AM, Johan Willaert said:

The number and location of tinned bonding areas and use of bonding straps along with toothed washers varied throughou production of Jeeps.
On my 1942 GPW I apllied the tinning in the original spots, along with the appropriate bonding strap set for its production time.
Along with correct wiring, it is a huge help in easy starting and overall grounding... Most people are just amazed how easy and fast our 6 Volt Jeeps start...

Some examples of retinned areas...

218-GPW56685-27Feb21 (1).JPG

225-GPW56685-07Mar21 (2).JPG

225-GPW56685-07Mar21 (4).JPG

225-GPW56685-07Mar21 (6).JPG

Hi Johan,  very nice and worth the effort of re-tinning the selected spots, as you say all aids the grounding / earthing which results in good cranking and starting of the motor. 

Sadly over the many years of repairs or replacements lots of ' mechanics ' failed to re-attach the earthing straps as recommended in the initial build and shown in the manual, nothing wrong with 6 volt vehicles if all earthed and grounded well

General Apathy
4 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

This shows how sometimes the engine bay and its components received Olive Drab overspray...
Note the piece of cardboard or wood just inside the fender giving only minimal protection to the engine bay...

MB-Assembly (1).jpg

Hi Johan.

We in the Jeeping fraternity need to try and find dates that all these internet Jeep photos were taken.  I have always wondered why this particular half-finished Jeep was going through the spray booth when it is clearly still has lots of missing pieces.  Looking at the canvas on the drivers seat it appears to be a late pattern with a one piece fixing tab that follows the curve of the top corner, it also has the later leather gaiters on the gear stick etc. 

Missing items . . . 

no passenger seat

no hip pads both driver and passenger sides

no end bracket for the hoop bows

no brass studs fitted for canvas doors

no engine hood blocks

fullsizeoutput_e496.jpeg.a1dacbfb88a71bc0ffa338c07c9fd006.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_e4a2.jpeg.f00d2f5c4cdb992bca4ba03e158085f6.jpeg

General Apathy
On 11/13/2021 at 6:10 PM, MCDUFF said:

Love this post Ken! Who would believe it, if it wasn't recorded by you!

If only I purchased more from you at the time...................

Cheers Graham

Hi Graham,

Yes if only you had bought more stuff from me back in time, I could now be eating warm parsnip soup instead of the cold potato swill.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 14  2021.

General Apathy

Remembrance Sunday meet . . . . . . . 

Several Jeeping friends in London met-up today at a well known London cafe' to pass some time in remembrance of all the fallen soldiers of WWI, WWII and conflicts since. 

.20211114_115217_resized_1.jpg.97baa7da0ca15623c015011f86a3c04b.jpg

.20211114_115034_resized_1.jpg.f2524baeca53054fd9b5eb87b3394765.jpg

29 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Graham,

Yes if only you had bought more stuff from me back in time, I could now be eating warm parsnip soup instead of the cold potato swill.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ha! 

Johan Willaert
47 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

Remembrance Sunday meet . . . . . . . 

Several Jeeping friends in London met-up today at a well known London cafe' to pass some time in remembrance of all the fallen soldiers of WWI, WWII and conflicts since. 

.20211114_115217_resized_1.jpg.97baa7da0ca15623c015011f86a3c04b.jpg

Great photo, great place...

And you can pick Douglas' Slatgrill right out of the line....
Is that John's Jeep just to his right?

Johan Willaert
1 hour ago, General Apathy said:

We in the Jeeping fraternity need to try and find dates that all these internet Jeep photos were taken.  I have always wondered why this particular half-finished Jeep was going through the spray booth when it is clearly still has lots of missing pieces.  Looking at the canvas on the drivers seat it appears to be a late pattern with a one piece fixing tab that follows the curve of the top corner, it also has the later leather gaiters on the gear stick etc. 

This says the photo was taken/published on 1st January 1944, which to me seems early for those late back seat cushions...
Anyway lots of nice photos here:

https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?t=248113

It always amuses me to see the ladies on the assembly line wearing house dresses with house aprons. But no matter what they wore, they got the job done. Big time. Well done, ladies. 

General Apathy
2 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

Great photo, great place...

And you can pick Douglas' Slatgrill right out of the line....
Is that John's Jeep just to his right?

Hi johan,

yes that's Douglas's slat-grille and John's slat-grille to the right, the owner to the left of Douglas's told Douglas and John that two days before he had done eleven hours running the Jeep along farm dirt tracks, reason for all the mud on the front and sides.

General Apathy
26 minutes ago, mikie said:

It always amuses me to see the ladies on the assembly line wearing house dresses with house aprons. But no matter what they wore, they got the job done. Big time. Well done, ladies. 

Hi Mike,

Well as we know the women filled in for all the men who had been called into the services, and I have also read that women handled repetitive and monotonous jobs better than men did.  

6 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Mike,

Well as we know the women filled in for all the men who had been called into the services, and I have also read that women handled repetitive and monotonous jobs better than men did.  

Sounds like handling the job was like handling a man.

General Apathy

Lawerence of Arabia's motorcycle . . . . . .

local friend showed me a few days ago an old newspaper clipping from the 1960's, at the time he was around thirteen and still at school.  A close neighbour Mr Perrin had acquired an old abandoned motorcycle that once belonged to Lawerence of Arabia and rebuilt it.  Quite farcical these days that such an historic motorcycle could be bought for one pound ( £1 ), having once belonged to such an iconic figure.  Lawerence owned over a number of years seven Brough motorcycles and this was the one he was killed on in 1935.

.fullsizeoutput_de92.jpeg.ff118f7845c5c5205e2a90d635d865f2.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_de90.jpeg.fb4f157cee7a7095fdb828f60a4c6268.jpeg

.cf15f16b-560f-4751-a475-2910aab45a9f_alta-libre-aspect-ratio_default_0.jpg.d6642f2b0dc1d1ddf68513ff110150ff.jpg