Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

well Jeepster's, todays state of play on the Jeep rebuild . . . . . .

Two of us started early-ish around 08h30 to fill and bleed the brake system as we knew the other two bodies we were expecting around 11h30 to help lift the body onto the chassis.   Once we had the body in place and rubber anti-squeak pads inserted we bolted done through the body, pads and into the chassis, a nice solid fit.  We then started adding some of the prepared bolt on parts, and also making a list of missing parts that weren't on or with the Jeep the it was bought.   So here's todays state of play by 16h30.

.fullsizeoutput_ddd0.jpeg.88049aca41d693b52591ac9856dbeac0.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 29  2021.

" Life's too short for reproductions "

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

42 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Kevin.

Well thanks very much for adding such interesting detail and information from the booklet that you have on Antwerp, I for one didnt know a third of the detail that we have shared about Antwerp.

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

Hi Ken

I'll dig it out from  whichever box it's hiding in as I've a feeling I didn't scan every page at the time. There might be some more info. of interest.

Johan Willaert
17 hours ago, Escht said:

I have this small unit bklt  titled Antwerp X tucked away somewhere

Hi Kevin, Thx for postin that... Some great national History for me there...

General Apathy
17 minutes ago, Johan Willaert said:

Nice job, it's starting to look like a Jeep again...

Hi Johan,  yes the owner is pretty pleased with the progress so far, we all went home feeling happy about it last night.

It basically started life in WWII as a Willys, the French Hotchkiss company rebuilt it in the 1960's repairing and replacing anything that needed it. So they went for a Diesel engine, an upgraded post war T90 gearbox and a Hotchkiss body, although not still a wartime Jeep it preserved it for many more years.  

Now we are doing a similar rebuild and replacement of necessary parts which will make it safe to use and preserve it for future generations. Two of us old-time Jeepers have donated some old original take-out parts for ones missing,  hopefully giving it another lifetime of use. . . . . .

.fullsizeoutput_ddd0.jpeg.61ccc9b3470aeabba95c7209a0a3640c.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 30  2021.

p.s. another month, another year, another birthday gone, less in the tank again . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

4 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Johan,  yes the owner is pretty pleased with the progress so far, we all went home feeling happy about it last night.

It basically started life in WWII as a Willys, the French Hotchkiss company rebuilt it in the 1960's repairing and replacing anything that needed it. So they went for a Diesel engine, an upgraded post war T90 gearbox and a Hotchkiss body, although not still a wartime Jeep it preserved it for many more years.  

Now we are doing a similar rebuild and replacement of necessary parts which will make it safe to use and preserve it for future generations. Two of us old-time Jeepers have donated some old original take-out parts for ones missing,  hopefully giving it another lifetime of use. . . . . .

.fullsizeoutput_ddd0.jpeg.61ccc9b3470aeabba95c7209a0a3640c.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 30  2021.

p.s. another month, another year, another birthday gone, less in the tank again . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

Awesome. Well done. While it may no longer be a WWII jeep, it is still a part of Jeep History. Glad to see that it will be there to tell it's part of the story for years to come.

Mikie

Hi folks.  I'm back from our very short trip to San Diego.  The trip was too short for me to take in anything historic or military.  But then instead of me going to something military, something military came to me.  The wedding ceremony was outdoors right on the shore with a wonderful view of a channel of San Diego harbor in the immediate background.  There were picturesque sailboats and yachts sailing past. Quite nice. Just as the ceremony was about to start, we were all asked to put away our phones and cameras.  Two minutes later, just as the vows were beginning, a Littoral Combat Ship hove into view.  I was dying to take out my phone and take a picture, but there was no way to do it discreetly. Being a good uncle, I resisted, but it was tough. The thing was so close to shore that it pretty much looked like this picture I grabbed off the web.  The LCS class has been quite controversial, but it was really impressive to see it so up close while underway.  Good ships or bad, I don't know. But God Bless all those who sail on them. 

Mikie 

Littoral Combat Ship.jpg

General Apathy
On 10/30/2021 at 12:20 PM, Johan Willaert said:

Nice job, it's starting to look like a Jeep again...

Well they just keep coming . . . . . . . . . .

Hi Jeep lovers Johan, Kat, mikie.

Just received this photograph from another long-term Jeepster in the UK rebuilding another Jeep, before posting I should have asked him how many he's done over the last fifty years, I know its a fair few . . . . . This ones a Ford GPW.

Note the Jeep body over on it's side behind the chassis, not immediately evident when concentrating on the chassis.  Bottom right corner two US WWII folding plywood chairs.  

20211101_161258.jpg.75c9db02b28ec8b8960b521131431fc4.jpg 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 01  2021.

3 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Well they just keep coming . . . . . . . . . .

Hi Jeep lovers Johan, Kat, mikie.

Just received this photograph from another long-term Jeepster in the UK rebuilding another Jeep, before posting I should have asked him how many he's done over the last fifty years, I know its a fair few . . . . . This ones a Ford GPW.

Note the Jeep body over on it's side behind the chassis, not immediately evident when concentrating on the chassis.  Bottom right corner two US WWII folding plywood chairs.  

20211101_161258.jpg.75c9db02b28ec8b8960b521131431fc4.jpg 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 01  2021.

Too cool! Your eye for detail in pictures has taught me to look in the background for everything too!

Thanks for posting! ...Kat

General Apathy
On 11/1/2021 at 5:24 PM, mikie said:

Hi folks.  I'm back from our very short trip to San Diego.  The trip was too short for me to take in anything historic or military.  But then instead of me going to something military, something military came to me.  The wedding ceremony was outdoors right on the shore with a wonderful view of a channel of San Diego harbor in the immediate background.  There were picturesque sailboats and yachts sailing past. Quite nice. Just as the ceremony was about to start, we were all asked to put away our phones and cameras.  Two minutes later, just as the vows were beginning, a Littoral Combat Ship hove into view.  I was dying to take out my phone and take a picture, but there was no way to do it discreetly. Being a good uncle, I resisted, but it was tough. The thing was so close to shore that it pretty much looked like this picture I grabbed off the web.  The LCS class has been quite controversial, but it was really impressive to see it so up close while underway.  Good ships or bad, I don't know. But God Bless all those who sail on them. 

Mikie 

Littoral Combat Ship.jpg

Hi Mikie,

I believe I read that the navy don't intend to continue with any further examples of this ship.  

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 03  2021.

General Apathy
On 11/1/2021 at 9:29 PM, cutiger83 said:

Too cool! Your eye for detail in pictures has taught me to look in the background for everything too!

Thanks for posting! ...Kat

Hi Kat,

did you notice the front grille of the Jeep in the top right corner above the folding chairs.

About five years ago I believe that Parisian interior decorators were snapping up these WWII folding chairs for clients apartments that they were decorating. 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 03  2021.

5 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Kat,

did you notice the front grille of the Jeep in the top right corner above the folding chairs.

dang it! I missed that! I will never be as good as you!

...Kat

General Apathy

British Legion Poppy Appeal November 11 2021 . . . . . . . 

Every November in the UK the British Legion members sell poppies in towns and cities raising money for Soldiers charities, helping wounded ex-services men during their lives.  Military vehicle owners of the Military Vehicle Trust help in raising money for the charities by parking vehicles in high streets and town centres raising the interest in the sales of the poppies.  I will try and obtain more photos when this happens this year and post here, two previous images with Military Vehicle Trust vehicles and Army Cadets. 

.milt-vehicles-1.jpg.e76ba75670e57870699539cf1a49bf99.jpg

.0_HB_TMS_131218brentwoodpoppyappeal_01.jpg.0fc08afe07bb5aaa45232af7bf78a10d.jpg

fullsizeoutput_df91.jpeg.9647be5054e90536e5bbfa1f141e17ef.jpeg

I am not a badge of honour,

I am not a racist smear,

I am not a fashion statement,

To be worn but once a year,

I am not glorification

Of conflict or of war.

I am not a paper ornament

A token,

I am more.

I am a loving memory,

Of a father or a son,

A permanent reminder

Of each and every one.

I'm paper or enamel

I'm old or shining new,

I'm a way of saying thank you,

To every one of you.

I am a simple poppy

A Reminder to you all,

That courage faith and honour,

Will stand where heroes fall.

'THIS NOVEMBER WEAR YOUR POPPY WITH PRIDE'

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 04  2021.

General Apathy
6 hours ago, cutiger83 said:

dang it! I missed that! I will never be as good as you!

...Kat

Hi Kat,

Hahaaa it's not a competition, for me it's years of searching old dusty places trying to spot anything usable or collectable  . . . . . . . . .

Yesterday several of us went over to help a friend with mis-firing problems with his Dodge Weapons Carrier, when the carburettor was taken apart I looked at the floats and one of the pair had corroded through and allowing the air chamber to fill with petrol weighting it down and preventing correct operation of the floats. There was a secondary problem of a blocked jet, unfortunately we didn't have new necessary replacements in the partial used spares kits so we made temporary repairs and the owner will have to buy a new old stock service kit. 

.fullsizeoutput_df92.jpeg.9d5e4b87b69cd7b0dc9ed781f575b60e.jpeg

IMG_0594.jpg.af91648ca75178dd09618b41e8d15df0.jpg

.IMG_0595.jpg.4fd1818f433a8824e2ffaf00ee09202b.jpg

On 10/29/2021 at 7:46 PM, General Apathy said:

Hi Buckshot,

Welcome to the thread and to the developing story of the fight for Antwerp, thanks for the extra detail that you have added to the information we are sharing on Antwerp.

Thanks for the welcome, I'm a longtime reader of this thread and now a first time replier. I enjoy seeing the finds and all the jeeping knowledge shared but anything with a motor in it is outside of my area of knowledge so I keep to reading and learning 😀 Operation Antwerp X is my much more my expertise and I'm always happy to share what I know. It's such an interesting history and imo a little bit overlooked. The booklet posted by Mikie is an excellent place to start! 

2 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Kat,

Hahaaa it's not a competition, for me it's years of searching old dusty places trying to spot anything usable or collectable  . . . . . . . . .

Yesterday several of us went over to help a friend with mis-firing problems with his Dodge Weapons Carrier, when the carburettor was taken apart I looked at the floats and one of the pair had corroded through and allowing the air chamber to fill with petrol weighting it down and preventing correct operation of the floats. There was a secondary problem of a blocked jet, unfortunately we didn't have new necessary replacements in the partial used spares kits so we made temporary repairs and the owner will have to buy a new old stock service kit. 

.fullsizeoutput_df92.jpeg.9d5e4b87b69cd7b0dc9ed781f575b60e.jpeg

IMG_0594.jpg.af91648ca75178dd09618b41e8d15df0.jpg

.IMG_0595.jpg.4fd1818f433a8824e2ffaf00ee09202b.jpg

I think you can patch that with some careful soldering, but I would replace it asap indeed. Does he use E5 fuel?

General Apathy
1 hour ago, Buckshot329 said:

Thanks for the welcome, I'm a longtime reader of this thread and now a first time replier. I enjoy seeing the finds and all the jeeping knowledge shared but anything with a motor in it is outside of my area of knowledge so I keep to reading and learning 😀 Operation Antwerp X is my much more my expertise and I'm always happy to share what I know. It's such an interesting history and imo a little bit overlooked. The booklet posted by Mikie is an excellent place to start! 

Hi Buckshot,

Thanks for the comments and if there's any chance that you could add any Then and Now images of your area then I am sure the other members and myself would enjoy that.

General Apathy
51 minutes ago, earlymb said:

I think you can patch that with some careful soldering, but I would replace it asap indeed. Does he use E5 fuel?

We did a temporary patch, and when the engine runs it's as smooth as silk, so ordering the carburettor rebuild kit is the next order of the day.  

Yes here E5 is all that's available, even worse in the UK they now have E10 and E5.  I think the corrosion in the float started before that, but the ' E ' fuels certainly don't help these older vehicles.

About four or five years ago the fuel line from the tank to the filter on the bulkhead of a Jeep that had stood for some years was completely blocked, couldn't blow it through, couldn't rod it with wire.  The only thing that cleared it was to take it off the vehicle, hold it vertical and starting at the bottom with a blow-lamp flame melt the tar-like residue in the pipe until it dripped out working up the length of the tube.

There are video's on Youtube showing how to easily remove the Ethanol out of petrol before using in older vehicles . . . . . . . . .

General Apathy

Thanking members who add ' LIKES ' to posts . . . . . . . . 

Thanks everyone who adds a ' LIKE ' to a post, the forum possibly needs to allow a thumbs up emoji or such  🙋‍♂️to a LIKE thereby acknowledging it.

7 hours ago, General Apathy said:

British Legion Poppy Appeal November 11 2021 . . . . . . . 

Every November in the UK the British Legion members sell poppies in towns and cities raising money for Soldiers charities, helping wounded ex-services men during their lives.  Military vehicle owners of the Military Vehicle Trust help in raising money for the charities by parking vehicles in high streets and town centres raising the interest in the sales of the poppies.  I will try and obtain more photos when this happens this year and post here, two previous images with Military Vehicle Trust vehicles and Army Cadets. 

.milt-vehicles-1.jpg.e76ba75670e57870699539cf1a49bf99.jpg

.0_HB_TMS_131218brentwoodpoppyappeal_01.jpg.0fc08afe07bb5aaa45232af7bf78a10d.jpg

fullsizeoutput_df91.jpeg.9647be5054e90536e5bbfa1f141e17ef.jpeg

I am not a badge of honour,

I am not a racist smear,

I am not a fashion statement,

To be worn but once a year,

I am not glorification

Of conflict or of war.

I am not a paper ornament

A token,

I am more.

I am a loving memory,

Of a father or a son,

A permanent reminder

Of each and every one.

I'm paper or enamel

I'm old or shining new,

I'm a way of saying thank you,

To every one of you.

I am a simple poppy

A Reminder to you all,

That courage faith and honour,

Will stand where heroes fall.

'THIS NOVEMBER WEAR YOUR POPPY WITH PRIDE'

This used to be a tradition, at least in my old home town in Upstate New York, back when I was a kid.  One that sadly seems to have died out 40 or more years ago.  I've tried to revive the tradition by wearing a paper poppy and making an extra contribution (besides my regular monthly one) to a veterans organization on November 11.  I'm really glad to see it is still going strong in the U.K.  Here is the one I've worn the past couple of years.  

Mikie

poppy and flag single.jpg

3 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Thanking members who add ' LIKES ' to posts . . . . . . . . 

Thanks everyone who adds a ' LIKE ' to a post, the forum possibly needs to allow a thumbs up emoji or such  🙋‍♂️to a LIKE thereby acknowledging it.

Sometimes I just can't come up with anything useful to add to a post, but just can't pass it by without acknowledging that it was a good post.  I agree that a larger choice of buttons would be nice.

Mikie

10 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Buckshot,

Thanks for the comments and if there's any chance that you could add any Then and Now images of your area then I am sure the other members and myself would enjoy that.

My favorite then & now I found so far (there isn't many then photos). I was discussing this picture with a local (who was in his 20s in 1944) a few years back and he casually mentioned "oh that looks like the door on family X's farm" so I drove over and behold, he was right! (that still baffles me he just recognized it by the step);

The location for the building makes perfect sense too because these men's battery (C Battery, 494th AAA Gun Bn) was set up in the nearby fields. Note the whitened bricks in the 'then' photo & compare them with the 'now'. The picture was taken between Nov 2 & 8, 1944. The unit moved to a better suited location after that first week.

Then.jpg.a101d1b76ae6935d3ba90dfd83cc2ace.jpg     Now.png.74f92454cd819ce0834637a687d5ee57.png

The farmhouse is on private property and pretty run down (used as a barn) but the owner was kind enough to let us have a look and photograph it.

38 minutes ago, Buckshot329 said:

My favorite then & now I found so far (there isn't many then photos). I was discussing this picture with a local (who was in his 20s in 1944) a few years back and he casually mentioned "oh that looks like the door on family X's farm" so I drove over and behold, he was right! (that still baffles me he just recognized it by the step);

The location for the building makes perfect sense too because these men's battery (C Battery, 494th AAA Gun Bn) was set up in the nearby fields. Note the whitened bricks in the 'then' photo & compare them with the 'now'. The picture was taken between Nov 2 & 8, 1944. The unit moved to a better suited location after that first week.

Then.jpg.a101d1b76ae6935d3ba90dfd83cc2ace.jpg     Now.png.74f92454cd819ce0834637a687d5ee57.png

The farmhouse is on private property and pretty run down (used as a barn) but the owner was kind enough to let us have a look and photograph it.

Excellent T&N!  I love this stuff!  

Mikie

General Apathy
45 minutes ago, Buckshot329 said:

Hi Buckshot,

well if you don't ask then sometimes you don't get, I asked and you gave . . . . . . 

thanks for the Then & Now shots, you were quick on the response with those, I hope you will be able to spot a few other ones as well. Yes there were obvious comparisons on the brickwork, I thought there might be even more if I knocked the color out and I think there is.

Well done,  thanks. 

fullsizeoutput_e02e.jpeg.e7e79a8dff5025883e22117af8cda5d4.jpeg

15 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Buckshot,

well if you don't ask then sometimes you don't get, I asked and you gave . . . . . . 

thanks for the Then & Now shots, you were quick on the response with those, I hope you will be able to spot a few other ones as well. Yes there were obvious comparisons on the brickwork, I thought there might be even more if I knocked the color out and I think there is.

Well done,  thanks. 

fullsizeoutput_e02e.jpeg.e7e79a8dff5025883e22117af8cda5d4.jpeg

You're right it does make the comparisions in the brickwork more pronounced. As I mentioned there are sadly very few 'then' photos available for the AAA men in my hometown (or if there are, I haven't found them) but this is one I thought would be interesting to post. I'll see if I can get a few others. 

Thanks for asking, I'm always happy to share but often reluctant to post!