Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy
On 10/6/2021 at 9:59 PM, mikie said:

Love, happy memories, and a smiling face, that is what life is really all about.  Looks like Ian nailed it.  Just wish it was for a longer time.  

Mikie

Hi Mikie,

rearrange the letters from ' Friend ' and it spells ' life-long buddy ', well no it doesn't but perhaps it should do . . . . . . . .   Ian was a great friend to me and many others . . . . . . . . . A photo of Ian that Sian sent me this week. 

.fullsizeoutput_d858.jpeg.23c256680e0effca45500ee9b9d32d26.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 10  2021.

" Life's too short for reproductions "

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

General Apathy

Today's Jeeping  . . . . . . . 

This morning I was tailing a local friend in his Jeep and had cause to pull him over and tell him one of his rear stop-light was not working.  He doesn't carry anything like the spares that I do so I opened up my spares box and pulled out a WWII  unissued NOS twin filament stop & tail light from it's cosmoline coated carton. 

I asked him to pull on his tail-light switch and the light was blinding at a few inches away holding it in position, I asked him to tamp on the brakes and there was no extra brightness to show the stop light was on.  What I could tell however was that the twin filament bulb had been soldered into the holder 180 degrees out, the brake pedal was operating the low wattage tail-light and the side light switch was operating the more powerful brake light, fortunately I was carrying another sealed carton and that one operated correctly.

When I have the time I will melt the solder holding the bulb and rotate the bulb 180 degrees putting the contacts into the right position, it's only taken 75 years to find out this factory mistake . . . . . . . . . .

.fullsizeoutput_d856.jpeg.dc49be16ff1613852f401f9cd7c9d31f.jpeg 

.fullsizeoutput_d854.jpeg.8969e2515efefbd407e7af1e80ffd00a.jpeg

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

8 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

This morning I was tailing a local friend in his Jeep and had cause to pull him over and tell him one of his rear stop-light was not working.  He doesn't carry anything like the spares that I do so I opened up my spares box and pulled out a WWII  unissued NOS twin filament stop & tail light from it's cosmoline coated carton. 

I asked him to pull on his tail-light switch and the light was blinding at a few inches away holding it in position, I asked him to tamp on the brakes and there was no extra brightness to show the stop light was on.  What I could tell however was that the twin filament bulb had been soldered into the holder 180 degrees out, the brake pedal was operating the low wattage tail-light and the side light switch was operating the more powerful brake light, fortunately I was carrying another sealed carton and that one operated correctly.

When I have the time I will melt the solder holding the bulb and rotate the bulb 180 degrees putting the contacts into the right position, it's only taken 75 years to find out this factory mistake . . . . . . . . . .

It's probably out of warranty by now? 

General Apathy
15 minutes ago, mikie said:

It's probably out of warranty by now? 

Hi Mikie,

I'll warrant it is . . . . . . . . . . . . . apologies I made such a light remark . . . . . . . . . . . I know I'm not the brightest bulb.  

3 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie,

yes I certainly hope that I find better images of the post office,  I have asked a local friend who lives in Vire to ensure that the granite slab from the pre-war post office is donated to the town museum should I slip off the cracker before he does . . . . . . . . . .

Slip off the cracker????

..Kat

3 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie,

I'll warrant it is . . . . . . . . . . . . . apologies I made such a light remark . . . . . . . . . . . I know I'm not the brightest bulb.  

It's all very illuminating. 

General Apathy
8 hours ago, cutiger83 said:

Slip off the cracker????

..Kat

7 hours ago, mikie said:

Yeah, that's one I have to remember to borrow.

Hi Kat & Mikie.

yep,  feel free, no charge . . . . . . . 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 11  2021.

General Apathy
7 hours ago, mikie said:

It's all very illuminating. 

Hi Mikie,

yes even more illuminating, a local friend just acquired these wartime light bulbs, interesting as the boxed ones actually have an anchor and Kings crown printed onto the glass, probably intended for the British Navy !!  The one without cartons have printed details regarding the lack of carton and also to make sure the wrappers enter the paper salvage. 

.fullsizeoutput_d869.jpeg.6f43d4ac246943355360e632888fc03d.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_d866.jpeg.b88d58dfb154f4cb8aa6c941e7b7fb4b.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_d873.jpeg.083d717e45819c5901afb96d2dbd786f.jpeg

General Apathy

more progress on the Jeep rebuild . . . . . . 

a few days ago I threw another days work onto the friends Jeep that's currently under rebuild, we flipped the body and sprayed the underside with red-oxide and olive-drab top coat. 

As it's an ex French army Jeep and built from original Willys chassis, axles, gearbox and transfer box with French Diesel engine, and Hotchkiss body and a few minor Ford parts thrown in he doesn't expect it to be rebuilt to show condition as long as it's solid and roadworthy to have some fun with.

.fullsizeoutput_d86c.jpeg.bfa56ff9196e0e782322441f825361a6.jpeg 

.fullsizeoutput_d86f.jpeg.159e31ba4a82299bdc33fecf1756cc68.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_d870.jpeg.f4f69d187b8a7fb7e3ba380cbbfa2d6d.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_d872.jpeg.1ec4674b3f1274528ca934a5c1911804.jpeg

6 hours ago, General Apathy said:

more progress on the Jeep rebuild . . . . . . 

a few days ago I threw another days work onto the friends Jeep that's currently under rebuild, we flipped the body and sprayed the underside with red-oxide and olive-drab top coat. 

As it's an ex French army Jeep and built from original Willys chassis, axles, gearbox and transfer box with French Diesel engine, and Hotchkiss body and a few minor Ford parts thrown in he doesn't expect it to be rebuilt to show condition as long as it's solid and roadworthy to have some fun with.

.fullsizeoutput_d86c.jpeg.bfa56ff9196e0e782322441f825361a6.jpeg 

.fullsizeoutput_d86f.jpeg.159e31ba4a82299bdc33fecf1756cc68.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_d870.jpeg.f4f69d187b8a7fb7e3ba380cbbfa2d6d.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_d872.jpeg.1ec4674b3f1274528ca934a5c1911804.jpeg

Sounds like this one should be nicknamed "Frankenstein".  From the lessons from you and Johan a while back, I guess this type of parts mashup was pretty common with postwar French jeeps?  

Mikie

6 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie,

yes even more illuminating, a local friend just acquired these wartime light bulbs, interesting as the boxed ones actually have an anchor and Kings crown printed onto the glass, probably intended for the British Navy !!  The one without cartons have printed details regarding the lack of carton and also to make sure the wrappers enter the paper salvage. 

.fullsizeoutput_d869.jpeg.6f43d4ac246943355360e632888fc03d.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_d866.jpeg.b88d58dfb154f4cb8aa6c941e7b7fb4b.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_d873.jpeg.083d717e45819c5901afb96d2dbd786f.jpeg

My thing learned for the day... Mazda light bulbs have nothing to do with Mazda Automotive company.  

Mikie

General Apathy
1 hour ago, mikie said:

My thing learned for the day... Mazda light bulbs have nothing to do with Mazda Automotive company.  

Mikie

Hi Mikie,

More detail for you, the brand MAZDA was trademarked by the General Electric Company in 1909, read more here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_(light_bulb)

General Apathy
On 10/8/2021 at 10:28 PM, mikie said:

Running out of space and putting a kid through college without getting a loan, I made my criteria for buying anything new for the collections that it needs to be small, cheap and be of some kind of use.   I couldn't resist this 1905 RIA mess knife..  It's small and wasn't expensive.  A while back we had some fun here about Brussel sprouts.  So it's fitting that the first use I made of the knife was trimming some of the buggers.

Mikie

1905 Knife.jpg

1905 knife Sprouts.jpg

Hi Mikie,

I have the knives 1904 & 1908, I just needs me some of the sprouts,  love em cooked or raw . . . . . . . . . . . .

.fullsizeoutput_d8c0.jpeg.d3781a4fedbf903ba8d12211a6134cfc.jpeg

44 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie,

I have the knives 1904 & 1908, I just needs me some of the sprouts,  love em cooked or raw . . . . . . . . . . . .

.fullsizeoutput_d8c0.jpeg.d3781a4fedbf903ba8d12211a6134cfc.jpeg

This time I just broiled the sprouts along with baby potatoes, mushrooms, broccoli and a dab of butter and a dash of basil and oregano. Simple and tasty. The knife worked great. 

Mikie 

Ok guys, I’ve been on the forum several days now to feed my new found interest in Normandy, Jeep’s, before and after WWII photos, cool militaria finds that you guys keep coming up with, and I have come up empty.  So empty in fact, that I had no choice but to load up my Kayak, and plan a fishing day off the North Florida coast.  Suffering from severe withdrawals and anticipation here…

31F3E7CA-14FD-4290-9A11-DE107AD284CF.jpeg

56C87C83-5A8D-48DE-AA86-001AB0D119E9.jpeg

23 hours ago, BryanJ said:

Ok guys, I’ve been on the forum several days now to feed my new found interest in Normandy, Jeep’s, before and after WWII photos, cool militaria finds that you guys keep coming up with, and I have come up empty.  So empty in fact, that I had no choice but to load up my Kayak, and plan a fishing day off the North Florida coast.  Suffering from severe withdrawals and anticipation here…

Sometimes people get busy with that darned "real life" stuff and it gets quiet around here. I don't mean to speak for Ken, but I'm sure he won't mind if we get a little off topic now and then to fill in the gaps.  I know I don't.  Sooner or later, everyone will come back on and I'll get a big bunch of  notifications of all kinds of posts here to check out.  Almost better than Christmas when that happens.  

Looks beautiful.  Hope the fish were biting.  My dad and uncle once owned half a canoe each.  Luckily it was the same canoe so things worked out well for us.  When I was a kid, a looooong time ago, we used to take it out on the Thousand Island region of Upstate New York, and other nearby waters.   Absolutely wonderful scenery.  Sadly, it hasn't been since the late 1970s that I've done anything like that.   

Mikie

Things are so quiet around here lately, I think even a picture of my cutlery drawer would be exciting.  You may spot my new old 1905 mess knife in there somewhere. Can you see any other military issue items in there?  With the knife, I also picked up a RIA 1916 dated spoon.  Much to my surprise, my dear wife Ana found it in there and it's become her favorite mixing/serving spoon, despite many other big spoons in there.   She normally has no interest at all in anything I collect, but that darned spoon is a big hit.  

I recall that somewhere someone's comment about soldiers in WW1, WW2 must have been small since there is so much new stock surplus uniform items left in small sizes.  I may remember wrong, but I think it was  Ken who had quite the opposite idea. That the soldiers were all large and used up all the larger sizes leaving the small sizes to future collectors. From the size of this spoon, I think that is correct.  I'm not small by any measure, and I can't fit that spoon easily in my mouth.  

It's going to be tough, I know, but let's see if anyone can come up with anything even more exciting than my cutlery drawer.  

Mikie

Spoon Drawer.jpg

6 hours ago, mikie said:

Things are so quiet around here lately, I think even a picture of my cutlery drawer would be exciting.  You may spot my new old 1905 mess knife in there somewhere. Can you see any other military issue items in there?  With the knife, I also picked up a RIA 1916 dated spoon.  Much to my surprise, my dear wife Ana found it in there and it's become her favorite mixing/serving spoon, despite many other big spoons in there.   She normally has no interest at all in anything I collect, but that darned spoon is a big hit.  

I recall that somewhere someone's comment about soldiers in WW1, WW2 must have been small since there is so much new stock surplus uniform items left in small sizes.  I may remember wrong, but I think it was  Ken who had quite the opposite idea. That the soldiers were all large and used up all the larger sizes leaving the small sizes to future collectors. From the size of this spoon, I think that is correct.  I'm not small by any measure, and I can't fit that spoon easily in my mouth.  

It's going to be tough, I know, but let's see if anyone can come up with anything even more exciting than my cutlery drawer.  

Mikie

Spoon Drawer.jpg

Mikie,

I thought about you last night. I was at a meeting discussing an event being held in December for the 80th anniversary of Pearl Harbor. One of the guys who will be setting up a display talked about rain contingency. He said that all of the items were designed to withstand battles, heat, rain etc but collectors don't want their items getting wet.  I remembered you talking about using your military silverware. 😁

...Kat

On 10/10/2021 at 5:34 PM, General Apathy said:

Ken,

Somehow I missed this post. You are absolutely amazing! Your knowledge just blows me away!

...Kat

General Apathy
On 10/14/2021 at 7:12 PM, BryanJ said:

Hi BryanJ,

didn't see much in the way of fish being caught but I spotted you landed a couple of Crocs. :lol:.  I was down in Bainbridge GA some years ago and Tom took me out on the river in an aluminium canoe he had and there were damn gator's all around the canoe, could so easily have flipped the narrow canoe. I jokingly said to Tom does this thing go any faster because they're snapping at the rear end behind me . . . . . . . Tom shot a rear view quite quickly. 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 17  2021.

General Apathy
4 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

Jeepin’ with a friend… what more do you need on an Autumn Sunday?…

23833FB9-E769-471D-AB62-41D4C7685CB9.jpeg

Hi Johan,  

Jeeping with a friend,  anything better, well today was close for myself and a friend we went to a large auto-jumble.  I spotted a NOS Jeep radiator on a stand,  I checked it over for being a Ford which it wasn't so I shouted across to the friend I was there with,  he came over and said was I interested No I replied,  so he asked the price. . . . . . . . .  . 20 euros WAH. !!!!!!!! I never asked.  He then spotted an original NOS floor starter button and got that for 5 euros, and negotiated on two canvas Dodge doors for a friend with a weapons carrier, two doors 20 euro's for the two . . . . . . . . . . . .  WAH !!!!

sadly not much more military vehicle stuff to be found but happy with the finds we got . . . . . .

Johan Willaert
13 hours ago, General Apathy said:

we went to a large auto-jumble.  I spotted a NOS Jeep radiator on a stand,  I checked it over for being a Ford which it wasn't so I shouted across to the friend I was there with,  he came over and said was I interested No I replied,  so he asked the price. . . . . . . . .  . 20 euros WAH. !!!!!!!! I never asked.  He then spotted an original NOS floor starter button and got that for 5 euros, and negotiated on two canvas Dodge doors for a friend with a weapons carrier, two doors 20 euro's for the two . . . . . . . . . . . .  WAH !!!!

Just proves there are still some nice items out there.... Going to the Ciney show at the end of the month...
Maybe I'll get lucky too... ;-)

Here's another shot from yesterday's tour... Our village in the background...

06-Rit-GPW56685-17Okt21 (5).jpg

19 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Johan,  

Jeeping with a friend,  anything better, well today was close for myself and a friend we went to a large auto-jumble.  I spotted a NOS Jeep radiator on a stand,  I checked it over for being a Ford which it wasn't so I shouted across to the friend I was there with,  he came over and said was I interested No I replied,  so he asked the price. . . . . . . . .  . 20 euros WAH. !!!!!!!! I never asked.  He then spotted an original NOS floor starter button and got that for 5 euros, and negotiated on two canvas Dodge doors for a friend with a weapons carrier, two doors 20 euro's for the two . . . . . . . . . . . .  WAH !!!!

sadly not much more military vehicle stuff to be found but happy with the finds we got . . . . . .

Maybe that's the secret to finding good deals on jeep stuff.  Car shows that don't specialize in military?