Norman D. Landing

bilko1

On 9/16/2021 at 9:59 PM, Johan Willaert said:

Message to forum member Escht (Kevin)

In Normandy staying at the farm you stayed at with Chris and Mark, and remembering the old days…

Owners say hi!

cheers

Hi Johan

Just logged onto the forum and read your message.

Still the same owners after all these years....... if you are in touch with them at any time please say Hi back....... think last time I was there was probably with my lad when we did a father son trip fortnight to Ardennes followed by Normandy. Must be nearly 20 yrs ago.

Kevin

General Apathy

Car show day Sunday . . . . . . .

one of my best car show days here, surprising really as at 06h45 Sunday morning

while eating breakfast I heard the roar of thunder, and the crack of lightning and
within five minutes a tropical downpour of rain. I carried on preparing food and drinks
for taking and working towards my delayed 08h30 deadline should it still be raining.

There hasn’t been a show there for at least three years this being maybe the fourth.
At 08h30 I decided to go as the show needed support if it was to continue.  I put on
a Goretex rain jacket and headed off in the rain within ten minutes it was getting 
heavier. I was really driving faster than I should have been for the conditions and at
two separate unmarked crossroads I had to do emergency braking which needed some
opposite steering due to the rear wheels locked up and drifting . . . . . fortunately as it
was early Sunday morning I didn’t see any other traffic at these crossroads.

Along the route I saw several vintage owners pulled over and I guess they were trying to
decide if it was worth continuing to the show as it was raining, and then this foolish driver
came past then in a Jeep with the screen down and grinning in the rain.  When I arrived at
the show the organisers congratulated me on still arriving screen down and even with the

persistent rain.

Towards lunch the weather started to improve and the sun came out for a really hot sunny
afternoon, others friends had arrived in Dodges and Jeeps mostly with canvas roofs in place.
At lunch time all the tables, chairs and shared food was unpacked and a full picnic got under
way. 

I had a great day conversing with other French owners that I had never met before and later they
invited me to join them at the bar for a drink before we all left, that became quite a lengthy 
conversation and also a great deal of talk about Jeeps.  One local has just bought two barn Jeeps
from a farm on the southern edge of Normandy, one a Willys and one a Ford, the Ford is strange
as it had an engine rebuild plate from an Atlanta G.A. Depot.  I didn't spot any date that this occurred 
but will try to look when I next visit to see the Jeep, it’s a Ford, and the chassis, engine and dash-
plate are all matching numbers. Maybe it was shipped over post war for occupation duties, strange
that it should have required a rebuild in the US before arriving in Normandy. 

All round a fantastic day and much more happened but too much to sit and type about, but several
new contacts made . . . . . and interesting details about heavy investments in preparation for the 80th

anniversaries.

As I had spent most of the day in conversation with other Jeep and GMC owners I took few photos.

Here's one which I couldn't decide if it was real or fantasy, supposedly dated 1923, but look at the

front wheel arch it's position would do little to protect the rider from rainwater.  Also theres only one

foot pegs or pedals for either the rider or passenger, there are other parts of it's construction that

raise points of question.

.IMG_0408.jpg.9703038ed9a1a4d1a16edcfca0844e05.jpg

.IMG_0409.jpg.d7ef3a670e0aa101a04cea1593f591fe.jpg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 27  2021.

" Life's too short for reproductions "

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

2 hours ago, General Apathy said:

while eating breakfast I heard the roar of thunder, and the crack of lightning and
within five minutes a tropical downpour of rain. I carried on preparing food and drinks
for taking and working towards my delayed 08h30 deadline should it still be raining.

There hasn’t been a show there for at least three years this being maybe the fourth.
At 08h30 I decided to go as the show needed support if it was to continue.  I put on
a Goretex rain jacket and headed off in the rain within ten minutes it was getting 
heavier. I was really driving faster than I should have been for the conditions and at
two separate unmarked crossroads I had to do emergency braking which needed some
opposite steering due to the rear wheels locked up and drifting . . . . . fortunately as it

Along the route I saw several vintage owners pulled over and I guess they were trying to
decide if it was worth continuing to the show as it was raining, and then this foolish driver
came past then in a Jeep with the screen down and grinning in the rain.  When I arrived at
the show the organisers congratulated me on still arriving screen down and even with the

persistent rain.

Towards lunch the weather started to improve and the sun came out for a really hot sunny
afternoon, others friends had arrived in Dodges and Jeeps mostly with canvas roofs in place.
At lunch time all the tables, chairs and shared food was unpacked and a full picnic got under
way. 

I had a great day conversing with other French owners that I had never met before and later they
invited me to join them at the bar for a drink before we all left, that became quite a lengthy 
conversation and also a great deal of talk about Jeeps.  One local has just bought two barn Jeeps
from a farm on the southern edge of Normandy, one a Willys and one a Ford, the Ford is strange
as it had an engine rebuild plate from an Atlanta G.A. Depot.  I didn't spot any date that this occurred 
but will try to look when I next visit to see the Jeep, it’s a Ford, and the chassis, engine and dash-
plate are all matching numbers. Maybe it was shipped over post war for occupation duties, strange

All round a fantastic day and much more happened but too much to sit and type about, but several
new contacts made . . . . . and interesting details about heavy investments in preparation for the 80th

anniversaries.

As I had spent most of the day in conversation with other Jeep and GMC owners I took few photos.

Here's one which I couldn't decide if it was real or fantasy, supposedly dated 1923, but look at the

front wheel arch it's position would do little to protect the rider from rainwater.  Also theres only one

foot pegs or pedals for either the rider or passenger, there are other parts of it's construction that

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

Ken,

Funniest part is that I can picture you going past the other drivers with a big old grin on your face! Glad you had a good time!

...Kat

Johan Willaert
3 hours ago, Escht said:

Hi Johan

Just logged onto the forum and read your message.

Still the same owners after all these years....... if you are in touch with them at any time please say Hi back....... think last time I was there was probably with my lad when we did a father son trip fortnight to Ardennes followed by Normandy. Must be nearly 20 yrs ago.

Kevin

Yes, still the same ones.... Not much has changed there...

OldDream-Sep21 (4).JPG

Johan Willaert
On 9/26/2021 at 12:26 PM, Johan Willaert said:

The February 1945 edition of AR850-5 precribed white hood numbers to be applied by the manufacturer, but orders/contracts already issued seem to have kept to blue drab and white hood numbers appear from the factory on post WW2 manufactured vehicles only. The well known photo of a 1945 Willys MB with hard top in the Willys factory was taken in December 1945, hence the white markings.

Here's the 1945 Willys MB with white hood numbers, photo taken in December 1945
The hard top was a factory mounted experimental or testing model

MB-1945-WhiteUSANumber+S.jpg

4 hours ago, General Apathy said:

persistent rain.

way. 

anniversaries.

W

Ken,

I don't know motorcycles but this one sure looks fantasy to me!

...Kat

On 9/27/2021 at 6:39 AM, cutiger83 said:

Ken,

Funniest part is that I can picture you going past the other drivers with a big old grin on your face! Glad you had a good time!

...Kat

Ha!  Me too!  It's like a cartoon running in my head.  

On 9/27/2021 at 4:23 AM, General Apathy said:

persistent rain.

way. 

anniversaries.

No idea about that bike, but it looks like a steampunk creation for a cosplayer.  

Mikie

On 9/25/2021 at 1:50 AM, General Apathy said:

Yesterdays Jeep work . . . . 

Yesterday I went over and did an afternoon helping on the Jeep body, the chassis, engine, brakes etc are all ready for the body to be finished, painted and lifted on.

Two of us spent about two hours working on the body yesterday, it's been stood for a while on the drivers side panels so that work can be done inside, underside, rear panels and bulkhead without keep flipping it around.  I was using an air operated needle gun these are extremely noisy beating the paint off the metal inside the Jeep. Peter was using standing discs and flattening off the exterior body panels, both of us using industrial ear defenders as the Jeep body work sounding like an echo chamber.  

So two hours after this crescendo of noise I decided to vacuum up the flaked paint particles everywhere, as I lifted the rear tool locker lid which had been laying open I found this little chappie hiding under the lid, resting on the Jeep rear quarter panel the vibrations and noise must have been horrendous.  I put him back outside in the garden, he had obviously come indoors to find some peaceful winter hibernation, instead he must have been shell-shocked 

.IMG_0401.jpg.0a98d59fc3dfcd82a383973cddcfc4af.jpg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 25  2021.

OK, I gave you a few days to hop on this one and nobody did any puns.  You had your chance.  I'm just glad the poor guy didn't croak.  The reason you didn't see him at first is because of the frogskin camo he is wearing.  if these puns don't fly with you, jump in and make up your own.  Sorry, I just had to get that out of my system. 

Mikie

General Apathy
On 9/26/2021 at 12:26 PM, Johan Willaert said:

In fact it wasnt at all rare to see vehicles with blue drab hood numbers coming off the assembly line in the US based factories in the Summer of 1945!
Blue drab US Army registration numbers were applied at the factory throughout WW2 and only changed to white at the end of near the very end of the war.

Prior to massive vehicle production starting in 1942, US Army vehicles were registered with hood numbers applied in white paint on the sides and back of the vehicle.
The 1942 Army Regulations (AR)850-5 changed this to smaller numbers applied in lusterless blue drab paint to make the numbers less conspicious and from then on (and even the contracts that just proceeded the issue of the AR) vehicles were painted in flat olive drab color with blue drab numbers.
This was continued until the end of production (or cancelling of remaining orders) near the end of the war in the Summer of 1945.

For some reason ( to date I have not yet found officially WHY), in Europe in 1943, the US Army issued an order for all USA registration numbers to be (over)painted in white. This was confirmed in early 1944 as shown on two official documents from HQ ETOUSA ( Headquarters European Theater of Operations US Army) attached below.
One can only assume this was done to make identification of vehicles by Military Police and others easier, and as stars with yellow or white circles were also introduced the 'camouflage' aspect of the blue drab numbers was no longer required.
Painting of white numbers was done over the blue drab numbers, or after a repaint of the hood (bonnet) or entire vehicle. Period photos show both variations.

The February 1945 edition of AR850-5 precribed white hood numbers to be applied by the manufacturer, but orders/contracts already issued seem to have kept to blue drab and white hood numbers appear from the factory on post WW2 manufactured vehicles only. The well known photo of a 1945 Willys MB with hard top in the Willys factory was taken in December 1945, hence the white markings.
What remained were the thousands of vehicles in the field on which the hood numbers had not yet been repainted (especially in the PTO (Pacific Theater of Operations) and therefore the order you show above was issued stating all numbers had to be re-applied in white by August 15th, 1945!

So basically, a vehicle with white numbers during WW2 has had its numbers repainted in depot or the field.... 

Below the 1943 and 1944 orders issued in Europe regarding white hood numbers

ETO-Circ27-VehicleMarkings-Mar1943.jpg

1944-IKEOrder-USARegNumber (3).jpg

Hi Johan,

Thanks for all the posts that you have added, a little distracted presently to answer all of them individually but nice reading for forum friends of this thread and forum members. 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 29  2021.

General Apathy
On 9/27/2021 at 5:24 PM, cutiger83 said:

Ken,

I don't know motorcycles but this one sure looks fantasy to me!

...Kat

Hi Kat,

talking of fantasy here's one we were laughing about at the show, A French version of Jay Leno looking around the vehicles.  

The motorcycle combination is a post-war Russian copy of the BMW . . . . . . . . . . 

.fullsizeoutput_d3d6.jpeg.bbfe554b1ce898edc023ca1030da4636.jpeg

General Apathy
20 hours ago, mikie said:

OK, I gave you a few days to hop on this one and nobody did any puns.  You had your chance.  I'm just glad the poor guy didn't croak.  The reason you didn't see him at first is because of the frogskin camo he is wearing.  if these puns don't fly with you, jump in and make up your own.  Sorry, I just had to get that out of my system. 

Mikie

Hi Mikie,

There was a pun that I wanted to add, but in these days of everyone being offended easily I didn't use it, try this one . . . . . . . 

' What happened when the frogs Jeep broke down ?, He jump started it.  '

General Apathy
20 hours ago, mikie said:

Mikie

Hi Mikie, 

a few more for you . . . . . . . . .

What kind of shoes do frogs wear ?  open toad sandals . . . . 

What did the bus driver say to the frog at the bus stop ?  Hop on . . . . . . 

If you park here your car will be toad . . . . . 

Which is a frogs favourite year ?  a leap year . . . . 

General Apathy

Hi friends and members who remember Ian Phillips ( forum member Sabrejet )

I just received these details from Ian's widow Sian, along with the words that she still can't believe he's gone . . . . . . . . .

I am so sorry that with all the Covid restrictions of travel, inoculations and gatherings that I am unable to attend. 

.fullsizeoutput_d4d5.jpeg.c7a7a168ad3cbdd5a198e6387f0f08c2.jpeg

3 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie, 

a few more for you . . . . . . . . .

What kind of shoes do frogs wear ?  open toad sandals . . . . 

What did the bus driver say to the frog at the bus stop ?  Hop on . . . . . . 

If you park here your car will be toad . . . . . 

Which is a frogs favourite year ?  a leap year . . . . 

Well, am I glad I refrained from adding to this load of bull frog

On 9/27/2021 at 1:23 PM, General Apathy said:

persistent rain.

way. 

anniversaries.

I wouldn't ride this contraption in the rain anyway so never mind the front wheel arch but I like the effort that has gone into this.

A couple of days ago I had to be in Maastricht for some work related business but found some time for a Then and Now shot. Many thanks to the van as a stand in for the 2nd Armored Division M4 Sherman. As you can see, the side of the Sherman carries some messages from civilians. These were written in the hope that family or friends in neighboring places would be able to see them. It was a way of letting them know things were allright.

RHCL-collGAM-1944-Stationsplein.jpg.dbd972586525ca7f0e70c5589a144764.jpg

SAM_1783.JPG.511e7f6775b8d9d384db57146bc6bacf.JPG

11 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

A couple of days ago I had to be in Maastricht for some work related business but found some time for a Then and Now shot. Many thanks to the van as a stand in for the 2nd Armored Division M4 Sherman. As you can see, the side of the Sherman carries some messages from civilians. These were written in the hope that family or friends in neighboring places would be able to see them. It was a way of letting them know things were allright.

Great picture! The chimney in the V of the roof line is not in the "now" picture.  Do you know if that is from a building behind these two or is it removed from the building in the front?

...Kat

2 hours ago, cutiger83 said:

Great picture! The chimney in the V of the roof line is not in the "now" picture.  Do you know if that is from a building behind these two or is it removed from the building in the front?

...Kat

Jeepers creepers! Where the heck did you folks around here get your eyeballs? I must have gotten mine at the bargain basement. 

Mikie

General Apathy
19 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

Hi Rene,

Great Then and Now capture, really pleased to see that there appears to have been no damage done to this beautiful building during the fighting.

Hi Kat,

well spotted, I'm sure Rene will take a ladder on the next visit and investigate . . . . . . . 

Hi Mikie,

you missed out on the rhyming of your words it should be ' Jeepers Creepers where'd you get those Peepers '  . . . . . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 30  2021. ( well that's another month gone, winter draws on :lol:  )

General Apathy

Then & Now photos 1944 - 2021

.fullsizeoutput_d56a.jpeg.c9c03284a37c385ba1a99548d61d2e9c.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_d572.jpeg.67246771307d41e2337abdbc42ac21ec.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 30  2021.

2 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Ken,

Too funny!! I wish there was a laughing emoji instead of just a like button!

..Kat

Hi Rene,

Great Then and Now capture, really pleased to see that there appears to have been no damage done to this beautiful building during the fighting.

Hi Kat,

well spotted, I'm sure Rene will take a ladder on the next visit and investigate . . . . . . . 

Hi Mikie,

you missed out on the rhyming of your words it should be ' Jeepers Creepers where'd you get those Peepers '  . . . . . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, September 30  2021. ( well that's another month gone, winter draws on :lol:  )

ha!  That was deliberate.  But I got the "jeep" part in and that's what's important around here.  

Mikie

And it's not just California.  I hear the same is happening on the East Coast as well as other places around the world.  I hear Britain and Europe is in a similar situation.  The Red Chinese invasion has been going on a long time and Normandy was nothing compared to it.  It's well past time that the rest of the world looks past the short term $ signs and sees what is going on with them.  

Mikie