Norman D. Landing

bilko1

1 hour ago, General Apathy said:

Completed the set . . . . . . .

German barbed wire stakes are made in three sizes, I have the tall and medium sizes and have bee looking for one of the shortest ones.  Today I found one of the short ones.  I have seen a great many of these stakes over the years but this is the first stake I have ever seen with three faded shades of camouflage paint on the stake, a real bonus methinks.  This size is roughly a metre / yard tall.

.fullsizeoutput_c293.jpeg.f4eea58e8c0b3d1ce4b3f1a4c6e4b754.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_c294.jpeg.5f878788e68ab7ce55a5a20d1d7fb568.jpeg

Nice! Do you have these around your yard? Or do your keep them inside?

...Kat

1 hour ago, cutiger83 said:

...Kat

I think Ken is building a defensive perimeter around his house.

On 7/28/2021 at 1:05 AM, mikie said:

I got word that our 35 year old otherwise healthy niece in San Diego has come down with Covid Delta.  She had both shots, so like many of us, relaxed after the mask guidance was relaxed here.  Apparently she and several others caught it from an unmasked, unvaccinated person at a gathering.  She has been miserably sick at home for over a week now with no improvement.  She is absolutely convinced that the vaccine saved her from getting to the point of hospitalization.  I wanted to pass this on as a cautionary tale to you all here.  I've decided to dig my masks out again.   We are not out of the woods yet, folks.  Stay safe and please make a reasoned decision on masks, vaccines and distancing.  I know it isn't fun, but believe me, Ashley is NOT having fun right now either.  

Mikie

Hi Mikie, sorry to hear about your niece. I hope she will recover soon. 

Ans as fa as I'm concerned it's still no big  crowds for me in the foreseeable future.

On 7/28/2021 at 11:40 PM, General Apathy said:

Hi Rene,

Only last week you posted the video for ZZ Top's ' she's got legs '  . . . . . . . 

sadly this evening Dusty Hill the bassist in ZZ Top died aged 72 . . . . . . . . . . . . formed in 1969 they had a good run. 

.zz-top-performance-2016-billboard-1548-compressed-e1610379399901.jpg.01b3b9d6985c674a0c8667bff08e1f21.jpg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 28  2021.

" Life's too short for reproductions "

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

They did indeed. Always loved their uncoventional guitars. Their drummer goes by the name of Frank Lee Beard, by the way.....

5 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Completed the set . . . . . . .

German barbed wire stakes are made in three sizes, I have the tall and medium sizes and have bee looking for one of the shortest ones.  Today I found one of the short ones.  I have seen a great many of these stakes over the years but this is the first stake I have ever seen with three faded shades of camouflage paint on the stake, a real bonus methinks.  This size is roughly a metre / yard tall.

.fullsizeoutput_c293.jpeg.f4eea58e8c0b3d1ce4b3f1a4c6e4b754.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_c294.jpeg.5f878788e68ab7ce55a5a20d1d7fb568.jpeg

Congrats on completing the set. You should have a nice steak dinner to celebrate. 

General Apathy
On 7/25/2021 at 6:15 PM, Escht said:

Is it possibly an electrical or radio part ?

Hi Kevin & Mikie,

here's three photos of the piece that my neighbour found in the gateway across from his house . . . .  it is or has connections for electrical wires theres two knurled knobs on the top through which wire pass.  Difficult to make out what nationality it's either American or British but not French or German, possibly Signal Corp related.

.fullsizeoutput_c30d.jpeg.50762c17ff4a0b63d9b55538dac8a907.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_c310.jpeg.9260b51ca19b0b9fe263d5040c7599be.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_c30f.jpeg.c393f16df9702e0bb045af9980ffdcae.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 02  2021.

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

General Apathy
On 8/1/2021 at 6:13 PM, cutiger83 said:

...Kat

Hi Kat,

I had kept these in one of the sheds for over ten years but as they are so heavily galvanised and almost roof proofed I decided a couple of months ago that they should be seen and have stood them in the garden.  Two tall ones closest to the camera and a medium one over the back of the photo.

I think the latest one though with the camouflage paint should be kept indoors to preserve the faded paintwork.  

.fullsizeoutput_b1bc.jpeg.afdfcd5a1edee905d3d4ca011d1fb878.jpeg

6 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Kat,

I had kept these in one of the sheds for over ten years but as they are so heavily galvanised and almost roof proofed I decided a couple of months ago that they should be seen and have stood them in the garden.  Two tall ones closest to the camera and a medium one over the back of the photo.

I think the latest one though with the camouflage paint should be kept indoors to preserve the faded paintwork.  

Ken,

These look very nice! I figured the one with the original paint might need to be protected. 

I love your yard! 

..Kat

18 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Kevin & Mikie,

here's three photos of the piece that my neighbour found in the gateway across from his house . . . .  it is or has connections for electrical wires theres two knurled knobs on the top through which wire pass.  Difficult to make out what nationality it's either American or British but not French or German, possibly Signal Corp related.

.fullsizeoutput_c30d.jpeg.50762c17ff4a0b63d9b55538dac8a907.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_c310.jpeg.9260b51ca19b0b9fe263d5040c7599be.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_c30f.jpeg.c393f16df9702e0bb045af9980ffdcae.jpeg

Had some vague ideas and did some poking around.  And I've got nothing.

Mikie

6 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Kat,

Put a net between 2 of them and you'll have a tennis/badminton/volleyball court!

Mikie

General Apathy
2 hours ago, cutiger83 said:

Ken,

These look very nice! I figured the one with the original paint might need to be protected. 

I love your yard! 

..Kat

Hi Kat,

Thanks, presently I only have six spread around the garden, a couple of them have bullet / shrapnel damage.  I also have four of the ' pig-tail ' stakes but these are kept in a garden shed as they are unplated metal and do corrode, with this type of stake its possible to wind them into the ground with a corkscrew action with no need to dig a hole to bury the base plate as with the other design.  

.IMG_0091.jpg.f38a7933dd07f85c2e49acfb5af891d4.jpg

.IMG_0092.jpg.a9da22aa4ee2f84e519ad572ba2978d8.jpg

.fullsizeoutput_c324.jpeg.91cad2a459efe1e1d8e00d1dd97752e9.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_c327.jpeg.2b924f30ec7b30ec0ea403b51a4bccb3.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 03  2021.

General Apathy
2 hours ago, mikie said:

Put a net between 2 of them and you'll have a tennis/badminton/volleyball court!

Mikie

Hi Mikie

I had considered to stretch a cable between a couple of the poles to aid landing Corairs but the garden by the house is not the same length as a carrier . . . . . . . . . . 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 03  2021.

General Apathy
16 hours ago, mikie said:

Mikie

Hi Mikie,

during WWII a lot of these stakes were adapted as anti-decapitation bars on the fronts of Jeeps due to the strength of the ' T' section bar they were made from.  

( a current problem or consideration of driving with the screen down is with deer crossing the road sometimes they try to leap over the vehicles.  Or as what happened to me about fifteen years ago a deer was hit by a car coming from the opposite direction the deer was thrown through the air and across my engine hood fortunately it totally cleared the Jeep and didn't hit . . . . . . . . sunglasses are no protection )

Jeeping friend Len has forwarded me an old cartoon from a 1980's magazine of the Military Vehicle Conversation Group ( MVCG ) drawn by Tony Derrick. 

.fullsizeoutput_c357.jpeg.c7db07b1e2e9ab5cfdd0067edab49611.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 04  2021.

General Apathy

From the Shoebox . . . . . . . . . . . 

Blade stamp on Ames 1942 model M-1910 shovel  . . . . . . . . . has anyone else seen or have a model ' M-1910 ' shovel with a stamp on the blade.  It appears to have ' RG ' in a circle cartouche !!!!!!

I would be interested to learn what more would have been on the stamp, or any similar stamps . . . . . . . . . . .

.fullsizeoutput_c379.jpeg.bdffa6d2f042f83e00b03e9078810291.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_c384.jpeg.d420760353b743a8de483cd10bd3b22d.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 04  2021.

General Apathy
On 8/3/2021 at 5:19 PM, cutiger83 said:

Ken,

I love your yard! 

..Kat

Hi Kat,

there are still lots of these stakes around Normandy, especially in the less frequented areas,  I leave them alone it's nice that they sit in the same spot that they were put in over seventy years ago, note in the second photo it still has original German barbed wire around it. 

.fullsizeoutput_c3e7.jpeg.7c67737459b87f40e8f2b0d91985cfe5.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_c3e9.jpeg.b1c18115e98b267e58e212f7ad55dda2.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_c3e6.jpeg.42c49e2c45e0123f127fd7cfcf1b7733.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 05  2021.

General Apathy

Normandy finds . . . . . . . . 

A Normandy friend recently bought a a copy of Winston Ramsey's ' German Coastal Radar Stations - Then & Now ' he also has one of the radar stations close to his location.  Last week he made a visit to the remaining bunkers to make his own comparisons with wartime shots in the book of the bunkers.  He was approached by the farmer upon who's land the bunkers are situated, my friend apologised if he was trespassing but the farmer was quite happy for him to look around.  

As the farmer heard the interest that my friend had in the facility the farmer took him across to the farm and gave him the last two remaining pieces he had of the panel mesh. At the end of WWII the farmers father used the mesh for rabbit and chicken and other animal pens. At least these two pieces will be saved for the future and possibly donated to a local museum.

.fullsizeoutput_c1ec.jpeg.2e23d1b0e1108afead9f506562977cb2.jpeg

2 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Normandy finds . . . . . . . . 

A Normandy friend recently bought a a copy of Winston Ramsey's ' German Coastal Radar Stations - Then & Now ' he also has one of the radar stations close to his location.  Last week he made a visit to the remaining bunkers to make his own comparisons with wartime shots in the book of the bunkers.  He was approached by the farmer upon who's land the bunkers are situated, my friend apologised if he was trespassing but the farmer was quite happy for him to look around.  

As the farmer heard the interest that my friend had in the facility the farmer took him across to the farm and gave him the last two remaining pieces he had of the panel mesh. At the end of WWII the farmers father used the mesh for rabbit and chicken and other animal pens. At least these two pieces will be saved for the future and possibly donated to a local museum.

.fullsizeoutput_c1ec.jpeg.2e23d1b0e1108afead9f506562977cb2.jpeg

Ken,

Very interesting! Do you know how many of these radar stations there were along the coast?

I also like that the stakes are being left in place. I agree with your thinking. 

...Kat

General Apathy

Todays Normandy Farm Find . . . . . . . . . 

lets play a little game of show & name  ( identity ). . . . . . . .  

Clues are, its not a ' picnic table ', it's  'WWII it came off a farm here, it's American and it was abandoned once used . . . . . . . .

come-on give it a try, Identify this item

.fullsizeoutput_c490.jpeg.74f0069decb7b211c11cb47e4604495c.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_c494.jpeg.4969160cc341051570959f699a1126f9.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 08  2021.

A crate is a good thought. It looks like the legs bolted down to something and then something bolted on top of this.

Just a wild guess but could this be the base of some supplies dropped by parachute?

..Kat

General Apathy
1 hour ago, pararaftanr2 said:

Bomb fin crate???

Hi Pararafta

you win the coconut . . . . . . . .  well done, as I surmise it's your area of interest USAAF equipment.  The fin I have had for many years

just never managed to find a crate when I lived in the UK.  Over here the poor Normandy farmers used and adapted any pieces left

behind by any of the allies or the axis . . . . . . . . .  Hoping to find one in a better condition, the light colour of green appears to be the 

correct shade for this particular crate. 

Hi Kat,  well done on supporting the crate suggestion, if you look at the first photo the outline of the fins can be seen in the paintwork

of the crate.    

.IMG_0111.jpg.5799cc2e1b2897dff1ad135afbbd2c66.jpg

.IMG_0112.jpg.982bb60075a4a0516d918f3b42d5212d.jpg

19 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Pararafta

you win the coconut . . . . . . . .  well done, as I surmise it's your area of interest USAAF equipment.  The fin I have had for many years

just never managed to find a crate when I lived in the UK.  Over here the poor Normandy farmers used and adapted any pieces left

behind by any of the allies or the axis . . . . . . . . .  Hoping to find one in a better condition, the light colour of green appears to be the 

Hi Kat,  well done on supporting the crate suggestion, if you look at the first photo the outline of the fins can be seen in the paintwork

of the crate.    

This is very interesting! I never would have guessed it was a bomb fin crate!

P.S.  I guess my wild jab at something dropped by a plane was a tiny bit close. Hahaha!

...Kat

pararaftanr2

No surprise you have the fin to go with it Lewis. Very classy! Was a USAAF and G.I. collector for many years, but now only WW2 Naval Aviation for the past 20 years or so.

Two fin crates appear in this photo, lower left between the drop tanks and 500 lbs. bombs. Is your crate for a 500, or a 1000 pounder?

tumblr_mfi8hzFgIV1qgggino1_500.jpg

General Apathy
2 hours ago, pararaftanr2 said:

No surprise you have the fin to go with it Lewis. Very classy! Was a USAAF and G.I. collector for many years, but now only WW2 Naval Aviation for the past 20 years or so.

Two fin crates appear in this photo, lower left between the drop tanks and 500 lbs. bombs. Is your crate for a 500, or a 1000 pounder?

tumblr_mfi8hzFgIV1qgggino1_500.jpg

Hi Paragrafta.

Difficult to guesstimate without finding some measurements but I would probably go for the 500 Lb.  All asides and depths measure 13.3/4 inches and 19 inches diagonally corner to corner . . . . . . . . . . . .

yes there are two fin crates in the left corner they differ slightly to mine in that the metal is cut out on each corner and the side bars are wider.

I guess these two sill hold the fins for third and fourth from the front, I would think this is the size I have. 

Also note there is a fin on top of the bombs he is working on, and also four small empty crates for the four smaller bombs over the back of the row of bombs, crates on the left, fins attached over on the right. 

Sadly about eight years ago a farmer had dumped one of the drop tanks in the village metal recycling, it had obviously sat in a field all its life and the bottom was rotted out, never gave it a thought at the time but the top could have been cleaned up and hung on a museum wall. !!!!!

Some days we just don't have our minds in gear, such as the faux-par I made this afternoon, I saw four good condition Ford GPW springs at a flea market.  Didn't ask the price as I took it for granted that the seller would know the value, nearly chocked on last weeks breakfast when we saw a buyer leaving the flea market with them asked questioned what he paid for them . . . . . . . . . . .  70 euros for all four.  DRAT !!!!

photo shows two of the four. did I mention DRAT !!!

.fullsizeoutput_c501.jpeg.420845e643b42502e30f7ed6a973d8ec.jpeg

4 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Pararafta

of the crate.    

I was late to this party and missed my chance here. Would you believe I would have gotten the answer on my first try? Would you believe my second try? How about my 1538th try? 

In case you didn't know, that bit was a running gag from Get Smart. It was a very funny James Bond spoof US TV show from the 60s. One of my all time faves. 

Mikie