Norman D. Landing

bilko1

On 6/11/2021 at 11:15 PM, General Apathy said:

Hi Kevin,

good to hear from you again, thanks for the congratulations even if there was minimum effort made by me as grandfather.

I was laughing with friends a couple days back about Jeep spares I had bought over the years ( some of which I bought from you ) and never

used most of them, due in fact to the quality of the original American manufactured parts that seldom need any replacing.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 12 2021.

" Life's too short for reproductions "

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

Hi Ken, Your work has just started, lots of stuff to teach him that his parents and teachers would never think of.

I remember well your visit to the factory unit day after I got back with all those original Jeep parts. That guy Stuart had been hoarding original parts since WW2 and the rolling chassis, engine and gearbox he restored were a good head start for me on my Jeep rebuild. I've been catching up and seeing Johans' restoration photos brings a lot of memories of long nights at the unit working on my Jeep. Number of times I used to say just going down there to do a couple of hours on it , to find it was somehow gone 4am...time flies when you're rebuilding a Jeep. Must have been around 1985 / 86 ..... ? Seem to remember you had amongst other things a set of 'combat rims' but I could be mistaken........

Kevin

the jeep327.jpg

manayunkman
33 minutes ago, Dogsbody said:

And just to be clear: I'm not British

I have no idea where I got it from but I’ve been using that term since I was a teen.

In the 60s, on my paper route, I used that term to bow out of conversations with my customers.

I still had to go home and do homework.

1 hour ago, Dogsbody said:

This reminds me a bit of this chart...........................😉

2045786172_E36acB_XwAAN3Kc(1)a.jpg.156981670cbd197f8e3cbee84d0edd40.jpg

These could also be Southern comments! 😁  You can say anything bad about someone as long as you follow it with "bless his/her heart". 

Kat

General Apathy
On 6/15/2021 at 4:31 PM, manayunkman said:

Hi Ken,

Do you ever go to any local dumps?

The dump at Falaise had a huge pile of metal Canadian amo cans amongst tons of other items.

Hi Piet,

The dump at Falaise has been cleaned out several years ago, twenty years or so ago on the N13 route from Ste Mere Eglise to Cherbourg there were several compounds full of US GMC trucks, Dodges and Jeeps ex-French army, all long gone now.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 17  2021.

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

General Apathy
On 6/15/2021 at 4:55 PM, Escht said:

Hi Ken, Your work has just started, lots of stuff to teach him that his parents and teachers would never think of.

I remember well your visit to the factory unit day after I got back with all those original Jeep parts. That guy Stuart had been hoarding original parts since WW2 and the rolling chassis, engine and gearbox he restored were a good head start for me on my Jeep rebuild. I've been catching up and seeing Johans' restoration photos brings a lot of memories of long nights at the unit working on my Jeep. Number of times I used to say just going down there to do a couple of hours on it , to find it was somehow gone 4am...time flies when you're rebuilding a Jeep. Must have been around 1985 / 86 ..... ? Seem to remember you had amongst other things a set of 'combat rims' but I could be mistaken........

Kevin

the jeep327.jpg

Hi Kevin,

it was great visiting your unit and seeing all the new and unused original parts, I bought many things off you that I thought would be useful and handy replacements, I doubt that I have used 95% of what I bought from you.  I don't actually recall buying ' combat ' rims, maybe if I bought rims they might have been non-splits for the slat-grille, it's been a long time ago now.  You were lucky to find such a hoard of original stuff.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 17 2021.

General Apathy
On 6/15/2021 at 5:45 PM, cutiger83 said:

These could also be Southern comments! 😁  You can say anything bad about someone as long as you follow it with "bless his/her heart". 

Kat

Hi Kat, 

Bless you, y'all come back again ya hear, hahhaaaaaaaaa

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 17 2021.

Johan Willaert
On 6/3/2021 at 9:40 AM, Johan Willaert said:

here's a view of what a mid production GPW engine bay looked like...
Will post photos of mine later on but will be very similar...

Engine-Ford-original-LATE.jpg

Engine bay on my GPW, less battery.... Compare to the above WW2 photo...

275-GPW56685-17Jun21 (10).JPG

General Apathy
On 6/17/2021 at 6:26 PM, Johan Willaert said:

Engine bay on my GPW, less battery.... Compare to the above WW2 photo...

275-GPW56685-17Jun21 (10).JPG

Hi Johan,

thanks for the engine bay shots,  looking great . . . . . . . . . right time to sell it to a museum before the world runs out of petrol.  !!!!  :lol:

Waiting to see it in Normandy next summer . . . . . . . . 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 19  2021.

General Apathy

Another restoration completed . . . . . 

A few months back I reported that a friend was restoring a British WWII metal sentry-box, well he's finished both the inside and outside. 

Another historical piece saved for posterity . . . . . . . . 

.fullsizeoutput_b570.jpeg.bbb18918bc5d52133b83a1901d147e97.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_b56f.jpeg.d594a609122d874ec5cc4984d41069e8.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_b571.jpeg.8a06ba4e42dd9ce6feeb0dc690b9335b.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_b576.jpeg.e7aaa401b41d271484069f1a16529caa.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 19 2021.

1 hour ago, General Apathy said:

Another restoration completed . . . . . 

A few months back I reported that a friend was restoring a British WWII metal sentry-box, well he's finished both the inside and outside. 

Another historical piece saved for posterity . . . . . . . . 

.fullsizeoutput_b570.jpeg.bbb18918bc5d52133b83a1901d147e97.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_b56f.jpeg.d594a609122d874ec5cc4984d41069e8.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_b571.jpeg.8a06ba4e42dd9ce6feeb0dc690b9335b.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_b576.jpeg.e7aaa401b41d271484069f1a16529caa.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 19 2021.

Nice. Not familiar with these. From that photo, it seems they needed shorter hats or shorter sentries.

Salvage Sailor

Fabulous restoration, I'd wager most of us have only seen these in B&W photos, not in their true colors.

General Apathy
On 6/19/2021 at 6:51 PM, mikie said:

Nice. Not familiar with these. From that photo, it seems they needed shorter hats or shorter sentries.

Hi Mikie,

yes he wouldn't get inside with the bearskin on, if you draw a line from his eyes they are about level with the vision slots where the curved top joins the body.  I think they were more used as personnel air raid shelters during bombing raids as there are no firing slots for defence use. 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 21  2021.

General Apathy
On 6/19/2021 at 7:53 PM, Salvage Sailor said:

Fabulous restoration, I'd wager most of us have only seen these in B&W photos, not in their true colors.

it's good that there are people amongst collectors that will take the time, trouble and costs of preserving items, no matter how large or complicated, as we often said if something has been made once it can be repaired or made again now.

I spent Friday helping out on Jay's jeep rebuild here's the spring hanger that had to be chopped off for replacing due to the central hole becoming elongated over the last seventy years . . . . . . . .

.fullsizeoutput_b5c2.jpeg.2ff4dde0812b5a03a24190f0b082a12b.jpeg 

General Apathy

Hi Johan,

well the look on your face looks like the cat that got the cream . . . . . . . . . . . :D

.fullsizeoutput_b609.jpeg.feb1ad4dcb82e00448d2da5a95f67d6c.jpeg

Johan Willaert
2 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Johan,

well the look on your face looks like the cat that got the cream . . . . . . . . . . . :D

Would even have been better if it had been ice cream….😉

Simon Lerenfort
On 6/11/2021 at 11:51 PM, General Apathy said:

My old Willys slat grille appeared at a commemorative get together on the 06/06/2021, sadly the images I was hoping to receive didn't happen and only one image of the dash area appeared on the cell phone . . . . . . it's chassis number is in the low 18,000's. 

.fullsizeoutput_b31f.jpeg.66103a3609c2c7afda940a201bf116a0.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 09 2021.

The colour and resolution of your dashboard photo almost reminds me 1944 colour kodak film shot by George Stevens and his war reporting team.

On 6/21/2021 at 10:43 AM, General Apathy said:

Hi Johan,

Who wouldn't be grinning while driving a jeep!!!

...Kat

General Apathy
10 hours ago, Simon Lerenfort said:

The colour and resolution of your dashboard photo almost reminds me 1944 colour kodak film shot by George Stevens and his war reporting team.

Hi Simon, 

Thanks,  it was certainly in better overall condition about ten years ago, think it's been used in the sea looking at the discolouration of the paintwork and plated parts . . . . . . The new owner is unfamiliar with Jeeps and I have volunteered myself to make a visit to his place and do a full service on it and change all the oils, grease points and brake-shoes for him. 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 22  2021.

General Apathy
58 minutes ago, cutiger83 said:

Who wouldn't be grinning while driving a jeep!!!

...Kat

Hi Kat,  

Yes it's always been fun driving a Jeep over the years, I would also be grinning over here driving my small 1999 ' Yank ' step-side pick-up, I was gutted when I couldn't get it registered here and had to sell it back in the UK where it had been registered since I bought it in from Florida in 2003 and had to part with it around 2017.

I have been considering since 2017 to get something else to put a smile on my face, last week I spotted a restored 1978 Beetle for sale, I had several Beetles back in the late 70's the oldest being a 1953 model. Well I procrastinated too long as I figured it wouldn't really be a good replacement for a pick-up. 

Then I spotted a garage over here that had a French registered 1996 Dodge pick-up, an ex US police force example, just too many miles for the too-too much asking price . . . . . . also with a 5litre V-8 the asking price for gas here is 1.50 a litre  . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

.fullsizeoutput_b662.jpeg.d9487c9183be91419ce27834d1e65ad1.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_b65f.jpeg.3563db0a11ea3ca80d1f7d6f29f91c51.jpeg

General Apathy
On 6/21/2021 at 7:02 PM, Johan Willaert said:

Would even have been better if it had been ice cream….😉

Hi Johan,

you would like an Ice-cream you say . . . . . . .  Douglas just sent me these shots from London

K,  I saw this parked in Kensington Gardens yesterday when cutting through. RR ice cream van, crazy. Strangely there was no one around but the engine was purring away.

D.

.fullsizeoutput_b664.jpeg.84e8df7a3eded6c222804ab33ae78bda.jpeg

.IMG_9975.jpeg.d56b2984d44612e03c086bb271c566a1.jpeg

.IMG_9973.jpeg.cb20a71bd4f0b0a112eb583f8bc8e0e5.jpeg

59 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Johan,

you would like an Ice-cream you say . . . . . . .  Douglas just sent me these shots from London

K,  I saw this parked in Kensington Gardens yesterday when cutting through. RR ice cream van, crazy. Strangely there was no one around but the engine was purring away.

D.

Now that is COOL!  

3 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Johan,

D.

Very sweet!

Government Issue

I've seen it all now. A Rolls Royce ice cream truck. I wonder if the ice cream was up to RR standards as much as the vehicle? 😄