Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

Hi Johan,  a message for you from our jeeping friend John in London, he's spent the past year doing a TOTAL restore of his imported Californian spec Triumph two seater sports, note it's left-hand drive . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

1012769554_55-MB150823-28Feb18(2).jpg.5fe32d40d23fc0c0d3087d55b277bdca.jpg.05d593ad97d51c3d68c64c7afcf45b71.jpg

.fullsizeoutput_ad48.jpeg.b2818c6bbeb7648f4e32b46eb3c2c214.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 09 2021.

" Life's too short for reproductions "

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

Johan Willaert
1 hour ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Johan,  a message for you from our jeeping friend John in London, he's spent the past year doing a TOTAL restore of his imported Californian spec Triumph two seater sports, note it's left-hand drive . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

Haha, I totally get it... Working on Brit vehicles can be an absolute nightmare... Have done some work on WW2 Bedfords and Austins, and a few years ago, my pal and I restored his 1998 Land Rover Defender Extreme...  What a job!!!

Johan Willaert
15 minutes ago, Johan Willaert said:

Haha, I totally get it... Working on Brit vehicles can be an absolute nightmare... Have done some work on WW2 Bedfords and Austins, and a few years ago, my pal and I restored his 1998 Land Rover Defender Extreme...  What a job!!!

Forgot the photo...

95219DF3-3332-4D6A-A846-7CBEE52BBBD9.jpeg

On 5/8/2021 at 1:42 PM, Johan Willaert said:

Thx for posting these, Graham...

I visited that museum back in 2008...

A couple of the displays back then... There was a display dedicated to the 101st AB Div because of their stay at Mourmelon near Reims in late 1944...

RedditionReims29Okt08 006.jpg

RedditionReims29Okt08 007.jpg

RedditionReims29Okt08 001.jpg

The guy on the left in the first photo looks like he could use some form of laxative..........

8 hours ago, General Apathy said:

1012769554_55-MB150823-28Feb18(2).jpg.5fe32d40d23fc0c0d3087d55b277bdca.jpg.05d593ad97d51c3d68c64c7afcf45b71.jpg

.fullsizeoutput_ad48.jpeg.b2818c6bbeb7648f4e32b46eb3c2c214.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 09 2021.

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

Even in this state I like the Triumph better than most of todays cars.

I had the chance to pick up this jeep this weekend!  I ultimately decided to pass it up.  It seems it may be a little out of military spec and probably a lot of work to get it back in shape.  

Mikie

Jeep 1.jpg

jeep 2.jpg

21 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

It’s alive.....

4EC4D3E8-4C97-4FB4-B36C-22DD36CCB601.jpeg

On operating temperatures but the fuel gauge still indicates full? Saucery! :)

Johan Willaert
39 minutes ago, earlymb said:

On operating temperatures but the fuel gauge still indicates full? Saucery! :)

Yes, as usual need to get the fuel gauge to work properly.... tank was only 1/4 full.... probably a ground issue...

General Apathy
On 5/11/2021 at 1:22 PM, Johan Willaert said:

It’s alive.....

4EC4D3E8-4C97-4FB4-B36C-22DD36CCB601.jpeg

Hi Johan,

Joining in with earlymb and Mikie congratulations, maybe still lots of final pieces to add, look forward to a few shots of it out on the road. 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 12 2021.

General Apathy

Refreshing pieces from the vehicle shoebox . . . . . 

one of this weeks projects involved re-riveting the clamps to my Ford front springs, in preparation for refitting. 

So I had to separate the leaves of the springs and drill out the loose rivets and re-rivet four clamps per spring.  As all non-essential stores are still in lock-down I am unable to get a fresh supply of O.D. paint presently to paint the springs before fitting back to the Jeep. 

So the clamps and the clamp-bolts have ' F ' stamps on them.

.IMG_6597.JPG.f0f55e06d3471702a5e3319b53ebef8c.JPG

.fullsizeoutput_ae5b.jpeg.0d64e4f2b53ffd14da5a8ee83b0fa4aa.jpeg

.IMG_6599.JPG.1ae23fc42d15ae1544fe29cd22ecc132.JPG

Johan Willaert
2 hours ago, General Apathy said:

So the clamps and the clamp-bolts have ' F ' stamps on them.

.IMG_6597.JPG.f0f55e06d3471702a5e3319b53ebef8c.JPG

.fullsizeoutput_ae5b.jpeg.0d64e4f2b53ffd14da5a8ee83b0fa4aa.jpeg

.IMG_6599.JPG.1ae23fc42d15ae1544fe29cd22ecc132.JPG

Nice detail, Ken!

Springs were primed in black, then assembled on the frame and then painted OD with the entire frame...

Did you know all F-marked spring clamp bolts go from right to left as you look at them towards the vehicle.... 
Look at the set below... With the springs lined up with the large ring towards the left and the bushing side on the the right, the F marked bolt heads are visible.... nuts on the underside...

138-GPW56685-29Sep20 (1).JPG

Johan Willaert
2 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Joining in with earlymb and Mikie congratulations, maybe still lots of final pieces to add, look forward to a few shots of it out on the road. 

Thx all... this is how she sits today.... a couple of minor things to attend to, and then we can install fenders, grille and hood, ready for final coat of paint just as she would have had after final assembly in the factory...
Road testing before the end of month...

255-GPW56685-09Mei21 (3).JPG

General Apathy
1 hour ago, Johan Willaert said:

Nice detail, Ken!

Springs were primed in black, then assembled on the frame and then painted OD with the entire frame...

Did you know all F-marked spring clamp bolts go from right to left as you look at them towards the vehicle.... 
Look at the set below... With the springs lined up with the large ring towards the left and the bushing side on the the right, the F marked bolt heads are visible.... nuts on the underside...

138-GPW56685-29Sep20 (1).JPG

Hahaaaa Johan,

Mine will never again be a factory finish example,  over the years it's been through several field repair & rebuild facilities, many things are there but upside-down, back-to-front or inside-out . . . . . . . . . . When we go out together in our Jeeps a local friend who had his Jeep rebuilt at GREAT expense by a leading UK Jeep rebuilder has often said after we have walked away from our Jeeps, all that money he spent and the crowds gather around mine not his pristine finish one. :lol:

Happy to say that Douglas has started to use his Jeep now as intended as he likes the look of mine and not as a piece of garage artwork, he sent me this shot last weekend.  The second shot shows why Jeeps have side-handles, and back in the day I carried a piece of scaffolding pole the width of the Jeep, it fits neatly through the pintle tow-hook and several people can get a good hand grip along the pole and lift.

p.s.,  have you gone to 12volt as methinks that's what the battery looks like in front of your Jeep . . . . . . . . . . 

.fullsizeoutput_ae91.jpeg.3d31fd37fc43d0928d537407546e8595.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_ae9d.jpeg.030df23e59ee5c6d1c56e99dde4e9073.jpeg

Johan Willaert

Nope, heavy duty 6 Volt battery we use for starting and such

Too big for a jeep battery tray but loads of power for running without wired up generator

22 hours ago, mikie said:

I had the chance to pick up this jeep this weekend!  I ultimately decided to pass it up.  It seems it may be a little out of military spec and probably a lot of work to get it back in shape.  

Mikie

Jeep 1.jpg

jeep 2.jpg

little OD spray paint and your good to go Mikie.

General Apathy

Jeep reconditioning work . . . . . . . . 

So a couple of days back I went over to throw another days work at the friends Jeep as he is so busy presently moving house. Work is still being done on cutting out rotten metalwork and replacing areas on the bodywork. While that was being done I stripped out all the front axle and steering. This really is a bit-za Jeep made up of many bits from Willys, Hotchkiss and Ford, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the steering connecting rod was an ' Henry ' as we locally refer to the Ford marked parts. 

When I pulled the drive shafts out the front axle the short side was a Rzeppa joint, and the long side was a Bendix joint !!!!!!!!

my hands were so covered in grease from the operation that I failed to take any photos, and these are the images from the workshop manual. 

I will try to take some more images next time I go over to lend a hand, there's one old repair that I found quite ingenious which I would like to show. 

.fullsizeoutput_aef1.jpeg.1c59ee8f630d9e89a2dad5702871b47a.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_af02.jpeg.2d5b8f4d235550f5215d6c7e62ff1990.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_aefb.jpeg.c417143f1fb8fe26ab443ca9ef233ff3.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_af03.jpeg.e487b6af7dad00642acf15cbd00a495d.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_af0d.jpeg.55746c671c1960e3cd7684351c5d186a.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_af0b.jpeg.bfc198911d2f158ac12f88dd86fd3fd7.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 16 2021.

General Apathy

Old Jeep parts . . . . . . . . . 

Sadly this Willys cylinder head is now too thin on the gasket side to be usable on an engine so here it is screwed to a wooden carport beam.

fullsizeoutput_af11.jpeg.e80f981ae78297965c05fd1fae3079af.jpeg

3 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Old Jeep parts . . . . . . . . . 

Sadly this Willys cylinder head is now too thin on the gasket side to be usable on an engine so here it is screwed to a wooden carport beam.

fullsizeoutput_af11.jpeg.e80f981ae78297965c05fd1fae3079af.jpeg

Now that's cool! 

On 5/12/2021 at 9:35 AM, General Apathy said:

Hahaaaa Johan,

Mine will never again be a factory finish example,  over the years it's been through several field repair & rebuild facilities, many things are there but upside-down, back-to-front or inside-out . . . . . . . . . . When we go out together in our Jeeps a local friend who had his Jeep rebuilt at GREAT expense by a leading UK Jeep rebuilder has often said after we have walked away from our Jeeps, all that money he spent and the crowds gather around mine not his pristine finish one. :lol:

Happy to say that Douglas has started to use his Jeep now as intended as he likes the look of mine and not as a piece of garage artwork, he sent me this shot last weekend.  The second shot shows why Jeeps have side-handles, and back in the day I carried a piece of scaffolding pole the width of the Jeep, it fits neatly through the pintle tow-hook and several people can get a good hand grip along the pole and lift.

p.s.,  have you gone to 12volt as methinks that's what the battery looks like in front of your Jeep . . . . . . . . . . 

.fullsizeoutput_ae9d.jpeg.030df23e59ee5c6d1c56e99dde4e9073.jpeg

The second photo brings to mind this Up Front cartoon.  

mud.jpg

While looking for the Up Front  cartoon, I found this.   It's uncredited on the page I found it on, just captioned Jumping Jeep 1942. 

In case there are others around here like me not familiar with the anatomy of a jeep, the illustration points out the drive shafts that Ken mentions (at least I think it does?).  Also the springs.

Enjoy!

jumping jeep 1942.jpg

Johan Willaert
19 hours ago, General Apathy said:

When I pulled the drive shafts out the front axle the short side was a Rzeppa joint, and the long side was a Bendix joint !!!!!!!!

There were three commonly used front axle drive types used (Rzeppa, Tracta and Bendix), and the steering knuckle housing on both sides of the axle had a small tag showing which type was used.
This was especially important to know when adjusting the drive flanges on the outside of the drums.

Here's an example of the Rzeppa type tags on the front axle of my Jeep... Photo taken before brake lines were installed..

158-GPW56685-05Nov20 (2).JPG

Johan Willaert

Other tags showing the differential ratio were attached to the cover of both front and rear axle differential housing...
Nowadays missing on many restored Jeeps...

144-GPW56685-11Okt20 (2).JPG

165-GPW56685-17Nov20 (3).JPG