Norman D. Landing

bilko1

Johan Willaert
11 hours ago, General Apathy said:

.one of my cinema advert stills from ' Battle of the Bulge ',  a post-war M38 Jeep and M37 Dodge behind it . . . . . . . . . :mellow:

Pales in comparison to 'Battleground'..... No many WW2 movies pretending to portray actual events can be worse than 'Battle fo the Bulge'...

easterneagle87

A Bridge Too Far had better vehicles (although waaayy tooo long) but Battle of the Bulge was a favorite as a kid when I didn’t know the difference and curled up with my dad and we watched it together. You can knock the content, but not the memories. 

General Apathy
44 minutes ago, Johan Willaert said:

Pales in comparison to 'Battleground'..... No many WW2 movies pretending to portray actual events can be worse than 'Battle fo the Bulge'...

Hi Johan,

as we all know later films got better at trying to have the right representation of vehicles  . . . . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, February 25  2021.

" Life's too short for reproductions "

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

General Apathy
26 minutes ago, easterneagle87 said:

A Bridge Too Far had better vehicles (although waaayy tooo long) but Battle of the Bulge was a favorite as a kid when I didn’t know the difference and curled up with my dad and we watched it together. You can knock the content, but not the memories. 

Hi easterneagle, thanks welcome to the thread,  we all have memories of our parents or children, many friends worked on A Bridge too Far, both in front and behind the camera, unfortunately I didn't have the time to join them. 

My daughter and I watched one of her childhood films on numerous occasions ' Field of Dreams ' featuring Kevin Costner, she still tells me how much she enjoyed those days together and she's now 29 and expecting her own child. 

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

General Apathy

Peter Gray 1928-2015, during his stunt riding days 1950's / 1960's . . . . . . . 

Peter was the founding father of the UK's Military Vehicle Conservation Group  ( MVCG later the MVT ), he organised many commemorative trips to the Continent between 1974 & 1994, some of the convoys were around 150 vehicles in size.

.fullsizeoutput_9454.jpeg.1207d57408bdc9ad11ea34ca944e1d30.jpeg

General Apathy

Giant film poster . . . . .

My son-in-law has just bought this film poster it's quite a large size . . . . . . .

.image0.jpeg.19142ad5ce5782db00b1d38c6e5ed5a3.jpeg

1 hour ago, General Apathy said:

My son-in-law has just bought this film poster it's quite a large size . . . . . . .

Nice poster for a really great film!  One of my top favorites.

Mikie

Glidertrooper
4 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Wonderful poster!

Cheers......John

Johan Willaert
23 hours ago, General Apathy said:

as we all know later films got better at trying to have the right representation of vehicles  . . . . . . . . .

Indeed Ken, but in case of The Battle of the Bulge, it wasnt even about the vehicles....  anyway let's just say I feel there are better ones out there...

General Apathy

The latest Jeep rescued for renovation . . . . . . . . . . . 

Today I went to see the latest Jeep to arrive in the neighbourhood in need of a rebuild, ex 1960's French army diesel experiment . . . . . . . . . . . . .  six months should see it looking better than it does now . . . . . . . . . . 

.fullsizeoutput_948d.jpeg.9ff6f2c776823cfa3d2b76b741e1c625.jpeg

.IMG_6147.JPG.196c30fd04da6e5cc1daa4dab7f83f77.JPG

.fullsizeoutput_948f.jpeg.dfc04ba5579432ecb534c7fbf68058ae.jpeg

11 hours ago, General Apathy said:

The latest Jeep rescued for renovation . . . . . . . . . . . 

Today I went to see the latest Jeep to arrive in the neighbourhood in need of a rebuild, ex 1960's French army diesel experiment . . . . . . . . . . . . .  six months should see it looking better than it does now . . . . . . . . . . 

.fullsizeoutput_948d.jpeg.9ff6f2c776823cfa3d2b76b741e1c625.jpeg

.IMG_6147.JPG.196c30fd04da6e5cc1daa4dab7f83f77.JPG

.fullsizeoutput_948f.jpeg.dfc04ba5579432ecb534c7fbf68058ae.jpeg

I have seen a few jeeps converted to diesel, all of them in France. I think they use Indenor engines, used by Peugeot among others although I don't know from what model. IIRC they modified the engine mountings and used an adapter plate for the flywheelhousing.

A question for General Apathy..... I´m guessing that the French jeeps are metric? (have body/engine dimensions and nuts & bolt threads in mm).

General Apathy
4 hours ago, earlymb said:

I have seen a few jeeps converted to diesel, all of them in France. I think they use Indenor engines, used by Peugeot among others although I don't know from what model. IIRC they modified the engine mountings and used an adapter plate for the flywheelhousing.

Hi David,

yes you're right on this one being a Peugeot diesel, it also has the post-war upgraded 90 gearbox in place of the wartime box.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, February 27  2021.

General Apathy
3 hours ago, Flightpath said:

A question for General Apathy..... I´m guessing that the French jeeps are metric? (have body/engine dimensions and nuts & bolt threads in mm).

Hi Flightpath, 

I think a good nickname for a French Jeep would be ' Bag o' Bolts ',  generally they are a mixture of UNC & UNF & Metric and possibly even Imperial . . . . . . . . . . . .

Most of the ' captive ' nuts / threads on French Jeeps are UNC or UNF and as such all parts interchangeable with wartime models and parts.  Most of the ' loose ' nuts & bolts can be Metric such as attaching the exhaust etc . . . . . . . . . . . It also all depends on what previous owners have used when restoring or repairing the Jeeps since being decommissioned from military use.  

Early post war there was very little available in the way of original spare parts and amateur owners would use anything that fitted or adapted  . . . . . . . . ???? Now with the advent of reproduction it's possible to buy boxed sets of Willys or Ford bolts UNC / UNF and do away with any Metric bolts . . . . . 

I don't know how long you have been reading this thread but several pages back I showed several tins and jars of old UNC / UNF bolts that I have hung onto from previous Jeeps I owned or salvaged from rotted out Jeeps. 

General Apathy
14 hours ago, mikie said:

I don't know if you are familiar with this video, but I thought it was amazing.  

Enjoy!

Mikie

Hi Mikie,

A local Jeeping friend actually collects variations on helmets modifications used post war and has about thirty different styles and uses.  Here are three of his helmets, one for straining out animal food, an M1 turned into a funnel for liquids, and an enamelled colander helmet.

.IMG_0304.JPG.7b9ee57afeb5ae0f29b59d605281ab52.JPG

.IMG_0306.JPG.216273a1f479e9dc81f6b256ae13b7bd.JPG

.IMG_0307.JPG.6f39bfc1f7a0ddfe7eb43e571b854549.JPG

3 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Flightpath, 

I think a good nickname for a French Jeep would be ' Bag o' Bolts ',  generally they are a mixture of UNC & UNF & Metric and possibly even Imperial . . . . . . . . . . . .

Most of the ' captive ' nuts / threads on French Jeeps are UNC or UNF and as such all parts interchangeable with wartime models and parts.  Most of the ' loose ' nuts & bolts can be Metric such as attaching the exhaust etc . . . . . . . . . . . It also all depends on what previous owners have used when restoring or repairing the Jeeps since being decommissioned from military use.  

Early post war there was very little available in the way of original spare parts and amateur owners would use anything that fitted or adapted  . . . . . . . . ???? Now with the advent of reproduction it's possible to buy boxed sets of Willys or Ford bolts UNC / UNF and do away with any Metric bolts . . . . . 

I don't know how long you have been reading this thread but several pages back I showed several tins and jars of old UNC / UNF bolts that I have hung onto from previous Jeeps I owned or salvaged from rotted out Jeeps. 

Please pardon my confusion. I feel jeepish, I mean sheepish to ask, but what exactly are these French Jeeps? US Jeeps modified by the French military?  French built military jeeps? Both or either  modified by civilians?

Johan Willaert
2 hours ago, mikie said:

Please pardon my confusion. I feel jeepish, I mean sheepish to ask, but what exactly are these French Jeeps? US Jeeps modified by the French military?  French built military jeeps? Both or either  modified by civilians?

in the postwar period to replace the US made jeeps the French had been issued during and right after WW2 French manufacturer Hotchkiss built a ‘replica’ of the Willys MB and called it M201.

to the untrained eye the M201 looks identical to the WW2 Willys MB, but there are many small differences although all parts of WW2 made jeeps and M201 are interchangable...

read more at http://m201.com/hotchkiss/hotchkis.htm

General Apathy
1 hour ago, Johan Willaert said:

in the postwar period to replace the US made jeeps the French had been issued during and right after WW2 French manufacturer Hotchkiss built a ‘replica’ of the Willys MB and called it M201.

to the untrained eye the M201 looks identical to the WW2 Willys MB, but there are many small differences although all parts of WW2 made jeeps and M201 are interchangable...

read more at http://m201.com/hotchkiss/hotchkis.htm

Hi Johan,

Thanks for adding the Hotchkiss story for everyone to read,  strange though that it mentions 6 & 12 volt models, but no mention of the more common 24 Volt models.

.fullsizeoutput_94b0.jpeg.f323c447ab7016e2a9d5cedff591028d.jpeg

Johan Willaert
13 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Thanks for adding the Hotchkiss story for everyone to read,  strange though that it mentions 6 & 12 volt models, but no mention of the more common 24 Volt models.

Hi Ken, I believe the vast majority (if not all?) M201 were made first in 6Volts, later in 12Volts and they were all converted into the 24Volts when they passed through the French Army Rebuilding shops in the 1960s and 1970s...

The French had an extensive rebuilding scheme for all their Jeeps in inventory and that is exactly the reason why so many ex-French Army Jeeps are a mix of both Willys, Ford and Hotchkiss parts... A nightmare to restore to original WW2 configuration...
This page of the M201 site tells more on the Rebuilding activity...
http://www.m201.com/ITM/ITM.htm

And to illustrate just how similar the M201 is to a WW2 made Jeep, here's a few photos of a friend's M201 who keeps this 1960s Hotchkiss in French livery....
I feel the M201 is actually a better Jeep as many of the flaws of the original design were improved during production.

70124380_539360476835559_5532634900563230720_o.jpg

89829203_675351343236471_962019622867959808_o.jpg

96387761_714923345945937_774501651372310528_o.jpg

Johan Willaert
On 2/27/2021 at 12:29 PM, Flightpath said:

Actually from the factory the French Hotchkiss made M201 Jeep used identical bolts and nuts as the WW2 made Willys MB.
Original French bolts can be easily identified by a marking ( most likely BC 80 ) on the bolt above either one or two lines indicating UNF or UNC thread. 

More on Jeep Bolts ( in French ) at https://docplayer.fr/28367320-Marquages-des-vis-des-jeeps-willys-mb-ford-gpw-et-hotchkiss-m201.html

27 minutes ago, mikie said:

Thank you Johan for the mini education about French Jeeps. If only I got answers like that for every question I ever ask. 

Mikie

I wholeheartedly agree! Thank you Johan!

...Kat