Norman D. Landing

bilko1

1 hour ago, General Apathy said:

Actors biographies  . . . . . .

Whenever I watch a films from the 50's, 60's, 70's I always like to read the biographies of the actors as many will have served in the services during the 1940's, it's also of interest to me of where they were born and even to the date of their passing. 

Having watched the 1963 film ' The Great Escape ' I googled the actors and found that one of the German actors was a paratroop officer during WWII and captured in North Africa and shipped to a POW camp in the USA, where he tried several unsuccessful escapes similar to the events seen in the film of the The Great Escape.  

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 31  2021. ( well that's the first month gone, eleven to go )

.fullsizeoutput_8abf.jpeg.ffa0ff32fe49184a3a8b629ef569709c.jpeg

That is brilliant detective work Ken! Fascinating, and will have to watch out for him next time!

My Grandfather was a farmer in Kent, and had 3 German POWs working on the farm during the war. One of them had a son the same age as my father (about 8 at the time) and was so happy to be in a safe and friendly environment, and doted on my dad. He returned to Germany in 1946.

On 1/28/2021 at 12:16 PM, kammo-man said:

R
I love those Dutch ones also !

I also should have added when I first got into tiles I asked a well known collector about the passion he said to me
“If you collect tiles you are known as A Tile NUT”.
Kinda like Militaria then.
O

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've realized over the years that there are people who collect just about anything from tanks to Pez dispensers. And collectors in any particular field are just as passionate as those in any other. I'm my younger days I may have felt that some of them may seem silly, but long ago have come to respect one and all. 

2 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Message received from LtRGFrank . . . . . . . .  ( For some reason I can't post on the Forum ).

I've read there wen't many escape attempts at US POW camps. Most POWs were happy to be alive and safe, and where would they go anyway, some camps didn't even look for escapees. Most POWs worked for local farmers and mingled with locals. The POW camp just West of us wasn't even secure. They slept in a hanger at the airport which was a training Base for gunners  on bombers. You can still go out in the hills and find 50 cal brass and live linked Ammo.

Theres the Story of two walked away from camp, when they got hungry they came back and ate then walked away again. Finally they realised out in the middle of this vast country that there was no place to go, so they returned to wait for the wars end. 

Thanks Robert I posted your comment for you . . . . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 31  2021. ( well that's the first month gone, eleven to go )

I've read that the early war POWs from Africa were more ardent in their commitment to Germany and tended to cause more trouble than those captured later in the war. Those captured later on had become disillusioned that Germany could win and became more reconciled to the fact that resistance would do no good. There was some effort to segregate out the die-hards in the camps.

On 1/28/2021 at 10:24 AM, Dogsbody said:

Owen, those are nice colourful tiles. I hadn't heard of Batchelder either. Learned something again.

I understand the attraction of those tiles. I have some Dutch tiles hanging around at home. Most of you will probably know the Delft blue ones but these are from a place called Makkum and have some age to them. I like 'm.

SAM_1044.JPG.ca88aa1f48e0c6410549f7bb11330aae.JPG

SAM_1045.JPG.b097f47646245c1e5e8519730a894b8c.JPG

Rene

Beautiful! I especially like the landscape (waterscape?) tile. 

Whenever I watch a films from the 50's, 60's, 70's I always like to read the biographies of the actors as many will have served in the services during the 1940's, it's also of interest to me of where they were born and even to the date of their passing. 

Having watched the 1963 film ' The Great Escape ' I googled the actors and found that one of the German actors was a paratroop officer during WWII and captured in North Africa and shipped to a POW camp in the USA, where he tried several unsuccessful escapes similar to the events seen in the film of the The Great Escape.  

Hogan's Heroes was a U.S. 1960s comedy series about allied POWs at a German camp that actually ran a resistance operation. One of the actors was Robert Clary, who played a French POW. In real life Clary was a Buchenwald survivor who lost most of his family in the Holocaust. 

I must get out more . . . . . . . . . . . :(

.fullsizeoutput_8b74.jpeg.132c32455347722bd4f47405c65cca7e.jpeg

Sell? Lucky husband. My ex once got mad at me (not for cheating, for putting in too many hours trying to earn a living) and dumped my stuff in the hallway of our apartment while I was at work. People walking by helped themselves to whatever they wanted. Luckily I was in between collections at the time and I mostly lost only some clothing. Thank goodness I made a better choice my second time. 

General Apathy
On 1/31/2021 at 3:38 PM, MCDUFF said:

That is brilliant detective work Ken! Fascinating, and will have to watch out for him next time!

My Grandfather was a farmer in Kent, and had 3 German POWs working on the farm during the war. One of them had a son the same age as my father (about 8 at the time) and was so happy to be in a safe and friendly environment, and doted on my dad. He returned to Germany in 1946.

Hi Graham,  another very interesting actor was Richard Todd. 1919 - 2009

He survived a German bomb attack on the officers training school Sandhurst in 1940, when five officer cadets were killed.

He was due to join fellow officers at a London restaurant to celebrate passing out at Sandhurst, he was unable to arrange a table and so missed being in the restaurant when it was bombed and fifteen of the officers were killed.

He served in two infantry regiments and then joined the parachute regiment as a captain, his unit were some of the first to parachute into Normandy on June 6th  1944 and fought at Pegasus bridge where he met the commanding officer Major John Howard who landed with three gliders and captured the bridge.

Later in 1956 he played the part of John Howard in the film ' The Longest Day ', during the filming he had mentioned to fellow actors that he had actually fought at this bridge in 1944.  Apparently the fellow actors were sceptical until Major John Howard arrived on set to watch the filming and shook hands and chatted with Richard Todd and verified Todd fought at the bridge 44.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Todd

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, February 03  2021. 

General Apathy
On 1/31/2021 at 5:27 PM, mikie said:

Hogan's Heroes was a U.S. 1960s comedy series about allied POWs at a German camp that actually ran a resistance operation. One of the actors was Robert Clary, who played a French POW. In real life Clary was a Buchenwald survivor who lost most of his family in the Holocaust. 

Hi Mikie,

That's why I like reading the biographies of actors from around that time, there are some interesting life stories

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, February 03  2021.

General Apathy

From the Shoebox . . . . . . . .

There were many many more pieces of my collection that were never seen or shown in print or here on the forum. This little grouping being just another small part of the story.

Shown below are three sizes of ear defenders listed in the USAAF Class 13 Clothing & Equipment supplies, all three unissued NOS in original cartons and featuring instructional paperwork. 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, February 03  2021.

.fullsizeoutput_8c2a.jpeg.0411959f1ad53604c97eee04a069b7d9.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_8c2d.jpeg.993d0b49eb5ca4bf80ec5bec11d293c6.jpeg

12 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

There were many many more pieces of my collection that were never seen or shown in print or here on the forum. This little grouping being just another small part of the story.

Shown below are three sizes of ear defenders listed in the USAAF Class 13 Clothing & Equipment supplies, all three unissued NOS in original cartons and featuring instructional paperwork. 

Ken,

These are very interesting. I have never seen eat protection from WWII. I never knew it existed. I just love the small items in your shoebox.

..Kat

General Apathy
35 minutes ago, cutiger83 said:

Ken,

These are very interesting. I have never seen ear protection from WWII. I never knew it existed. I just love the small items in your shoebox.

..Kat

Hi Kat,

Part of the fun of collecting was to share your finds and purchases with other fellow collecting friends, sadly as we grew older and became married and had children then the opportunities to grow the collections and share the items and stores diminished, this I thought was a great story.

Here is the army version of ear defenders, again these were of a civilian manufacture and use and adopted by the military, they came in master-packs with military nomenclature on the outers.  Around 2006 I opened this particular packet and was surprised to find something that I had only ever heard stories about.  The young female packer had included her name and address in order to encourage a soldier opening the packet to write to her become a pen-pal with her. 

At the time I found it I contacted the local newspaper in her town to see if she could be traced and after approximately sixty years let her know that her note had been found.  Sadly the young woman from the newspaper who was possibly detailed to reply to me was very unhelpful,  possibly even disinterested. She could not grasp the concept of a war going on, and the young female workers in the factories being patriotic and helping boost the morale of young soldiers at the front by writing to them . 

The young lady who packed this particular set of ear defenders was named Clara Martucci ( or Mortucci ), Erie, PA. 

( The white mottled effect on the plastic tube appears to be some sort of protective grease ).

.fullsizeoutput_8c31.jpeg.9e20e194ca74a78ce33fb14b0b92a94b.jpeg

1 hour ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Kat,

Part of the fun of collecting was to share your finds and purchases with other fellow collecting friends, sadly as we grew older and became married and had children then the opportunities to grow the collections and share the items and stores diminished, this I thought was a great story.

Here is the army version of ear defenders, again these were of a civilian manufacture and use and adopted by the military, they came in master-packs with military nomenclature on the outers.  Around 2006 I opened this particular packet and was surprised to find something that I had only ever heard stories about.  The young female packer had included her name and address in order to encourage a soldier opening the packet to write to her become a pen-pal with her. 

At the time I found it I contacted the local newspaper in her town to see if she could be traced and after approximately sixty years let her know that her note had been found.  Sadly the young woman from the newspaper who was possibly detailed to reply to me was very unhelpful,  possibly even disinterested. She could not grasp the concept of a war going on, and the young female workers in the factories being patriotic and helping boost the morale of young soldiers at the front by writing to them . 

The young lady who packed this particular set of ear defenders was named Clara Martucci ( or Mortucci ), Erie, PA. 

( The white mottled effect on the plastic tube appears to be some sort of protective grease ).

.fullsizeoutput_8c31.jpeg.9e20e194ca74a78ce33fb14b0b92a94b.jpeg

Now that was an incredible discovery!  Too bad Clara wasn't tracked down.  

Mikie

5 hours ago, General Apathy said:

.fullsizeoutput_8c2a.jpeg.0411959f1ad53604c97eee04a069b7d9.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_8c2d.jpeg.993d0b49eb5ca4bf80ec5bec11d293c6.jpeg

Very nice and a little bit off the beaten path items. Also nice to see how some companies made very different item as MSA is also known for making M-1 helmet liners.

On a personal note: here are mine. Yes, they are very recent but ear protection is serious business. The ones on the left are custom made and were used during my short stint as a sound engineer.

SAM_1061.JPG.5a615abc2f0dfb3d54da55f28d08614d.JPG

Rene

Can any of our in-house Jeep experts tell me what's going on here? Going by the mud trail behind the back wheels that Jeep has been sort of driving within that contraption but why?

12493782_833622096761268_8121442946657317977_o.jpg.80e90543c9a7997eb9ea71dc8a091179.jpg

Rene

7 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

Can any of our in-house Jeep experts tell me what's going on here? Going by the mud trail behind the back wheels that Jeep has been sort of driving within that contraption but why?

12493782_833622096761268_8121442946657317977_o.jpg.80e90543c9a7997eb9ea71dc8a091179.jpg

Rene

thats just fricking weird

On 1/31/2021 at 7:28 AM, General Apathy said:

On 1/31/2021 at 7:28 AM, General Apathy said:

On 1/24/2021 at 9:10 PM, kammo-man said:

Ken 

It rained in Los Angeles on Saturday and I lit my outdoor Batchelder fire.

No engine block in sight.

owen 

4F2F4785-7933-4F76-B141-36E2291D54D1.jpeg

General Apathy
15 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

Rene

Hi Rene,

mobile mosquito netting, mobile prison, mobile ground flattener . . . . . . . . . . ugliest mobile Jeep competition.

It was an idea to traverse soft ground by spreading the weight, however I don't see how it would manoeuvre, the steering wheels would

still be on top of the meshing . . . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, February 04  2021.

General Apathy

And the water gets deeper today . . . . . . 

well in thirteen years I have never seen the water on this road at the road level,  its about four feet deeper than normal levels. This would be four extra feet everywhere that there are flooded fields, roughly making the depth eight to ten feet deep. 

These fields are part of the vast area that the Germans flooded during the war to thwart airborne landings and ground troops advancements. 

.IMG_6025.JPG.f6a5e558207d5e0b1b755d61f00ae937.JPG

.IMG_6026.JPG.5ac2011f8a29da8b03ddce5fe07de9d7.JPG

General Apathy

From the Shoebox . . . . . . .

this is the WWII mountain / ski troops spare fuel container, these are quite a rare WWII piece to find.  Somewhere in my files I have the patent plans for this can but AWOL at the moment.

I believe there are post-war models which were slightly different in design.

.fullsizeoutput_8cfb.jpeg.1441f45a6efa3b4acf6dce269637a1ea.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_8d05.jpeg.d1ff53d838e8605d8b59d3016fbf51f5.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_8d0c.jpeg.70a1ad10ad2b2e7d887bd44a565b7399.jpeg

craig johnson

I had one like this. It had a square tube on top . To long ago to recall markings. Must have been post War model.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Rene,

mobile mosquito netting, mobile prison, mobile ground flattener . . . . . . . . . . ugliest mobile Jeep competition.

It was an idea to traverse soft ground by spreading the weight, however I don't see how it would manoeuvre, the steering wheels would

still be on top of the meshing . . . . . . . .

Ken,

I was waiting to see your response. I knew you would know about this weird jeep contraption. 😁

Can you imagine the mud kicked up and over yourself while driving? You can see the mud on the hood and on the wire mesh behind the jeep. 

I commented on your fuel container in the other thread. Very interesting! I just love the uncommon times in your shoebox! 

...Kat

well in thirteen years I have never seen the water on this road at the road level,  its about four feet deeper than normal levels. This would be four extra feet everywhere that there are flooded fields, roughly making the depth eight to ten feet deep. 

These fields are part of the vast area that the Germans flooded during the war to thwart airborne landings and ground troops advancements. 

Fields flooded by government to stop invaders from Africa parachuting into Normandy stealing killing and setting up camps made from blue tarps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 2/3/2021 at 12:16 PM, Dogsbody said:

Rene

Place a whole bunch of potatoes in front of it, drive over them, shovel them into boiling oil, voila, french fries!  

On 2/4/2021 at 3:59 AM, General Apathy said:

Wow.  The ducks should be happy, but don't know who else would be.  Hope the forecast is dry for a while.  

General Apathy
On 2/4/2021 at 7:56 PM, cutiger83 said:

Ken,

I was waiting to see your response. I knew you would know about this weird jeep contraption. 😁

Can you imagine the mud kicked up and over yourself while driving? You can see the mud on the hood and on the wire mesh behind the jeep. 

I commented on your fuel container in the other thread. Very interesting!  I just love the uncommon items in your shoebox! 

...Kat

Hi Kat,  thanks,  I now see that I should have unscrewed the cap and photographed the inside to show how it works.  Inside the cap are two small circular holes so when the cap is slightly unscrewed these then align with two similar holes and that allows fuel to exit though the one end of the tube and air to enter the container through the opposite end of the tube and the matching hole below. 

Talking with other collectors I believe this is one of the hardest pieces of mountain / ski troops items to find. 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, February 05  2021.

.fullsizeoutput_8d05.jpeg.6d2218b49e4480e53a83f030fe89ab62.jpeg

General Apathy
17 hours ago, mikie said:

Place a whole bunch of potatoes in front of it, drive over them, shovel them into boiling oil, voila, french fries!  

Hi Mikie,  I didn't think that you had ever been to France and yet you are aware how French fries are made . . . . . ^_^

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, February 06  2021.