Norman D. Landing

bilko1

Johan Willaert
6 hours ago, General Apathy said:

.fullsizeoutput_8a80.jpeg.0e2151bf955d337fbbf7c7e9df070e08.jpeg

With Pieter's excellent Militaria shop just visible on the left of the photo... If I recall correctly there's a 'Then' photo in his shop window...

General Apathy
3 hours ago, kammo-man said:

Ken 

Good match.

Only a hundred yards off !

Next time I am there I will picture Rose the rivetter monument and its 2 minutes from that corner also.

Hi Owen.

Thank would be nice to have a shot of that, now if only you had thought of that before the young lady passed away a while ago you could have posted Then & Now comparisons. ^_^ 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 26  2021.

General Apathy
36 minutes ago, Johan Willaert said:

With Pieter's excellent Militaria shop just visible on the left of the photo... If I recall correctly there's a 'Then' photo in his shop window...

Hi Johan, 

Yes it's outside on the store front to the right of the door,  I provided that shot for Pieter who had it enlarged and his store superimposed on the image, perhaps next time I am there I will get a shot of it.  

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 26  2021.

On 1/24/2021 at 7:10 PM, kammo-man said:

Ken 

It rained in Los Angeles on Saturday and I lit my outdoor Batchelder fire.

No engine block in sight.

owen 

4F2F4785-7933-4F76-B141-36E2291D54D1.jpeg

That is really neat.  I had to look up "Batchelder" since I had no idea what it meant here.  It's always great to learn new things around here, and on so many subjects!  

Mikie

On 1/22/2021 at 2:09 PM, General Apathy said:

Hi Rene,

we may have seriously underestimated our forum friend he might already be one of those Big-Bucks Silicon Valley programmers . . . . . . 

we might be in the presence of computer royalty . . . . . . . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 22  2021.

Just want to clear up any misconceptions of me being a mansion-living millionaire in always sunny and warm California where roller skating girls in bikinis are always passing by.  San Jose was a frozen tundra yesterday. The depths of frigid winter gripped us in its icy grasp.  I had to scrape nearly a half millimeter of ice from my windshield!  Life can be tough here sometimes.  

Mikie  

ice.jpg

Mikie 

Go on a Los Angeles tile vortex from the 1920s

Heres my bricked up internal fireplace and some inside tiles.

His original house is in Pasadena and he was one of the founders of the Arts and craft movement.

owen

5BAD56F7-082D-4952-979E-90B94B2D4FC4.jpeg

64997076-D21B-4B58-9EF6-BF400E7A2555.jpeg

BEB1C5C5-BED7-4FC9-94A8-2F78CC5A4DF1.jpeg

On 1/24/2021 at 6:32 AM, General Apathy said:

From the Shoebox,  it's been a while . . . . . . . . . . 

I just posted these same details on another thread in the Base/Camps section of the forum which related to the use of Zippo lighters in WWII.

There were various other cigarette lighters besides ' Zippo's ', these three are ' Park ' lighters two used and one NOS still in its original carton. The unused one and one of the used ones are o.d. crackle finish, and the second used one black crackle finish.  Also out of a footlocker a half filled bottle of lighter fluid,  note that although there's no date on the bottle it predates a zip code. I do wonder why the maker is shown as ' Authorised Brands ' I can't find anything on Google search regarding this company .

Park-Sherman lighters were made in Springfield,  Illinois., Interestingly on the side of the lighter box it states ' SURE FIRE . . . . when you are on the SPOT ', and on the bottle it states ' SPOT-LITE lighter fluid ' . . . . . . . . . These two items were in the same footlocker. 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 24  2021.

.fullsizeoutput_8a36.jpeg.d1b4cbcd8726c0cc7e30e5b17f386dec.jpeg

Dad occasionally used his old army Zippo to light his cigars.  A few years ago I was reading a book where a character lighted a Zippo.  For some reason it triggered a 35 year old memory of the smell of the lighter fluid when Dad would fire it up.  It was as real as if it was actually being lit in front of me.  The human mind is very strange.  Or at least mine is.

Mikie  

2 hours ago, mikie said:

Dad occasionally used his old army Zippo to light his cigars.  A few years ago I was reading a book where a character lighted a Zippo.  For some reason it triggered a 35 year old memory of the smell of the lighter fluid when Dad would fire it up.  It was as real as if it was actually being lit in front of me.  The human mind is very strange.  Or at least mine is.

Mikie  

Mike,

I know exactly what you mean. It is funny how the human mind works. I believe smell is one of the greatest memory triggers. 

...Kat

On 1/24/2021 at 7:05 AM, General Apathy said:

from the Shoebox . . . . . .  twice in one day ^_^

Here are ten small pin badges with squadron patch designs given out free with Kellogg's PEP cereals.

( The pins moved out of place slightly as I was trying to photograph them it suddenly became windy and started raining ). 

To help identify the squadrons they are listed left to right . . . . . 

TOP. Navy Squadron 14, 99th Bombardment Squadron, Navy Bombing - Fighting Squadron 12, Marine Bombing Squadron 433

MIDDLE.  370th Bombardment Squadron, PEP, PEP, 103rd Observation Squadron

BOTTOM. Marine Fighter Squadron VMF224, Navy Patrol Squadron 23, 29th Bombardment Squadron, 471st Bombardment Squadron. 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 24  2021.

.IMG_6005.JPG.4bb3976c3a3fd0745e5867ac2a4c71d8.JPG

Neat pins! 

General Apathy
On 1/23/2021 at 7:54 PM, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie,

The four seasons in Normandy ( no it's not the name of a pizza )  . . . . . . . . . . . . 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 23  2021.

.66bcc69948ba1f3219b9d3b9cd21f473.jpg.3d83aa49e4f52ac8097de91862537dda.jpg

Hi Mikie,

I see that you added a ' like ' to the postcard image, well we have had so much rain that what was once a grassed field is now a quagmire of mud to drive over  . . . . . . . . . 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 28  2021.

.fullsizeoutput_8a68.jpeg.38423b72d4c1c8f78ca9d82766fc0244.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_8a6a.jpeg.1a0c847a2a612ee644c646a736d7b3ed.jpeg

General Apathy
16 hours ago, kammo-man said:

Mikie 

Go on a Los Angeles tile vortex from the 1920s

Heres my bricked up internal fireplace and some inside tiles.

His original house is in Pasadena and he was one of the founders of the Arts and craft movement.

owen

5BAD56F7-082D-4952-979E-90B94B2D4FC4.jpeg

64997076-D21B-4B58-9EF6-BF400E7A2555.jpeg

BEB1C5C5-BED7-4FC9-94A8-2F78CC5A4DF1.jpeg

Hi Owen,  nice old fireplace was that already in the property you have or did you add it to the property after you moved in.

When I sold my Victorian house the new owners replaced all the antique sash window frames with UVpC frames, ripped out all the original cast iron decorative fire places bricked up the voids and hung modern radiators in place of the fire, ripped out all the Victorian antique airing cupboards in the bathroom and built a shower unit of glass blocks in its place. all the decorative ceiling work was removed etc, etc.  When the wife showed me around once when I called in to enquire if there was any mail for me she looked at my face and said ' you don't like anything that we have done do you ', I never called there again. 

.fullsizeoutput_7fce.jpeg.941d9b667b2352c69b407a631d276133.jpeg

General Apathy

Help required if possible please . . . . . . . . . .

Due to the worldwide travel restrictions local friends have offered to place a wreath on a US serviceman's headstone at the Omaha beach cemetery for an American family that are unable to visit this summer and lay a wreath at the headstone.

My friends would like to learn more of the deceased soldier if anyone can help please, presently all they have is the name and photo of the soldiers headstone.

.Image-1.jpg.e85851d364f322bb1603f24e9d4c4b04.jpg

General Apathy

Film Biographies  . . . . . . . . . .

When I watch a film I always like to read the biographies of the actors involved, many of the 50's, 60's & 70's films have actors that served in the military during WWII.  Last night I watched the 1963 film The Great Escape and ran through the actors biographies this morning, one of the actors was actually a German paratrooper during WWII, he was captured in North Africa and imprisoned in a camp in the USA, and he tried to escape from there several times. 

.fullsizeoutput_8abf.jpeg.cbe0640f9c9b25920c97f408ab6d3695.jpeg

Johan Willaert
1 hour ago, General Apathy said:

Due to the worldwide travel restrictions local friends have offered to place a wreath on a US serviceman's headstone at the Omaha beach cemetery for an American family that are unable to visit this summer and lay a wreath at the headstone.

My friends would like to learn more of the deceased soldier if anyone can help please, presently all they have is the name and photo of the soldiers headstone.

Day CANTERBURY, KIA 11th July 1944, ASN 33386678

Will check my 2nd Inf Div rosters later tonight

Most likely died in this battle:

Cloville in 1944 – Hill 192 – Manche – Battle of Normandy – D-Day Overlord (dday-overlord.com)

Cloville & Hill 192 (Manche)

Liberation: July 11, 1944

Deployed units:

2nd Combat Engineer Battalion, 2nd Infantry Division

38th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Infantry Division

81st Chemical Mortar Battalion

741st Tank Battalion

Fallschirmjäger Regiment 9, 3. Fallschirmjäger-Division

History:

As of July 10, 1944, the Americans are only about three kilometers from their objective: Saint-Lô. The 2nd Infantry Division, commanded by Major General Walter M. Robertson, is progressing towards a high point which is located 400 meters southeast of the hamlet of Cloville. This land movement appears as Hill 192 on the maps of staff and allows to have views on Saint-Lô. The area is defended by the paratroopers of the Fallschirmjäger Regiment 5 and the Fallschirmjäger Regiment 9 (3. Fallschirmjäger-Division). West of the 2nd Infantry Division, the 38th Infantry Regiment of Colonel Ralph W. Zwicker faces Hill 192 and the third battalion of the Fallschirmjäger Regiment 9.

On July 11, 1944, the assault on the 2nd Infantry Division was to be preceded by a massive air raid: 192 P-47 fighter-bombers in 4 groups of 48 aircraft were in charge of destroying all enemy positions and carrying out missions in the Cloville sector and in the area of Hill 192. But the visibility is insufficient and the raid is canceled: a single ground attack mission is maintained for the benefit of the division. At 6 am, Company E of the 38th Infantry Regiment (IR) commenced an assault on the western side of Hill 192, followed by the other units of the regiment at 6:30 am with the support of tanks of the 741st Tank Battalion, a company of the 2nd Combat Engineer Battalion and a company of the 81st Chemical Mortar Battalion. During an hour of fighting, the Americans are opposed to the fierce resistance of German parachutists who do not retreat and the hamlet of Cloville is quickly nicknamed the “Kraut Corner”. Self-propelled guns and German tanks are engaged in the battle but are silenced by the 741st Tank Battalion. Finally, 15 paratroopers are taken prisoner and Company E resumes the advance south of Cloville.

The 1st battalion, under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel Frank T. Mildren, stormed at 6.20 am but was stopped on the starting line by German artillery and the direct shots that put six tanks out of action. Squadron A of the 741st Tank Battalion. On the right flank of the 38th Infantry Regiment, the 2nd Battalion progressed towards the 972 departmental road (D972) linking Saint-Lô to Bayeux and reached Hill 192. It reached D972 at 19 hours.

Meanwhile, in spite of the lack of armored support during the first part of the day, the infantrymen of the 1st battalion continued to advance towards Hill 192. The Germans defended the position with formidable combativity and the losses were high two sides. Company A progresses on the left flank, C Company on the right flank and Company B is in second position in the center. The Germans, unable to resist any longer, decided to retreat and abandoned Hill 192 to the Americans. They captured it at 1330 hours and continued to advance through a landscape ravaged by artillery fire. All the groves or hedges likely to camouflage Germans are systematically pounded by the assailants. The 38th IR is installed for the night within 200 meters of the D972, the final objective of the day.

Johan Willaert

Day CANTERBURY

https://www.honorstates.org/index.php?id=57966

He was born in McKenzie County, North Dakota. Later he lived in Montgomery county, Maryland. He enlisted in the Army on December 1, 1942 in Baltimore, Maryland.

★ Bronze Star

★ Purple Heart

★ Combat Infantryman Badge

★ Marksmanship Badge

★ World War II Victory Medal

★ American Campaign Medal

★ Army Presidential Unit Citation

★ Army Good Conduct Medal

★ European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign

57966.jpg

General Apathy
1 hour ago, Johan Willaert said:

Day CANTERBURY

https://www.honorstates.org/index.php?id=57966

He was born in McKenzie County, North Dakota. Later he lived in Montgomery county, Maryland. He enlisted in the Army on December 1, 1942 in Baltimore, Maryland.

★ Bronze Star

★ Purple Heart

★ Combat Infantryman Badge

★ Marksmanship Badge

★ World War II Victory Medal

★ American Campaign Medal

★ Army Presidential Unit Citation

★ Army Good Conduct Medal

★ European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign

57966.jpg

Hi Johan,

Many thanks for taking the time to find and post the information here,  I have passed it onto the friends ( local Jeep jockey ) and wait to hear back from them.  Thanks again.  

Ken 

That story is horrible and typical of new home owners wanting to re fresh a space.

People like us step backwards fixing the damage.

My own 1926 Spanish had its windows removed the 70s with double glazing.

I will get to removing them and replace with sash as they missed one on a bedroom so I will copy that.

When Batchelder’s house was sold the backyard was completely over grown for decades.

When cleanup was finished this tile work was found on a wall.

Pictured in the Batchelder book I went on a quest to pay homage to the work and collected unused tiles and built this little arch on my outside fireplace.

Over the decade I was collecting tiles I met the underground tile collectors of Los Angeles, and they are very much like Militaria collectors only tiles.

They buy sell swop amongst them self’s.

Everyone knows each other’s collections well and what they collect.

Word was out I wanted a fireplace to put into my house and a couple of years later got a call saying one just got pulled out of a house getting demod.

It was great but to small for my needs so when I tiled my bathroom put it in there so I could enjoy it while lying in the bath.

Why not !!

owen 

731F965A-CDB0-4365-8AEF-E575732008DC.jpeg

FAC533E8-BF7A-4E4A-8237-7668714E5E15.jpeg

6606F190-3758-444B-A9C6-DC82DF1E212E.jpeg

I am collecting Malibu tiles for the last few years to add into my little walls that I am adding all round the gardens.

It’s like finding a rare item for your collection every time you get the call for old green stuff.

oh well that’s that.

34986FBA-25FA-4EFE-BCBD-49F2E19BC171.jpeg

839FEC45-783D-4E36-B4BB-CB4204CA3887.jpeg

1BC6C2F3-0C19-431E-8C45-9429FD2AC0B4.jpeg

AEE5AA8E-ADB2-43CE-A92D-A75D3145F34F.jpeg

29 minutes ago, kammo-man said:

I am collecting Malibu tiles for the last few years to add into my little walls that I am adding all round the gardens.

It’s like finding a rare item for your collection every time you get the call for old green stuff.

oh well that’s that.

34986FBA-25FA-4EFE-BCBD-49F2E19BC171.jpeg

839FEC45-783D-4E36-B4BB-CB4204CA3887.jpeg

1BC6C2F3-0C19-431E-8C45-9429FD2AC0B4.jpeg

AEE5AA8E-ADB2-43CE-A92D-A75D3145F34F.jpeg

Brilliant and beautiful.  Looks like I have another area  to study up on.  I may just borrow your general idea here.  

6 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Owen,  nice old fireplace was that already in the property you have or did you add it to the property after you moved in.

When I sold my Victorian house the new owners replaced all the antique sash window frames with UVpC frames, ripped out all the original cast iron decorative fire places bricked up the voids and hung modern radiators in place of the fire, ripped out all the Victorian antique airing cupboards in the bathroom and built a shower unit of glass blocks in its place. all the decorative ceiling work was removed etc, etc.  When the wife showed me around once when I called in to enquire if there was any mail for me she looked at my face and said ' you don't like anything that we have done do you ', I never called there again. 

.fullsizeoutput_7fce.jpeg.941d9b667b2352c69b407a631d276133.jpeg

Oh no!  That sounds like the plot of the worst horror story I've ever heard of.  Jason?  Freddie? They've got nothing on these people.

Mikie