Norman D. Landing

bilko1

On 1/16/2021 at 12:19 PM, General Apathy said:

recent newspaper article . . . . . . . 

a few days ago I read a newspaper article that an American woman has made a hobby of cleaning unattended gravestones . . . . . . 

One of the stones that was featured was that of a WWII soldier who died on 6th of June 1944 . . . . . . . . He is honoured on the 

Omaha Beach memorial wall. 

http://omaha-beach-memorial.org/public/ind_folder.php?id=15599

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 16  2021.

.fullsizeoutput_8616.jpeg.5dfd5fb683eb37dda6a0b863b679b2d4.jpeg

What a great thing to do and with excellent results.

19 minutes ago, mikie said:

Holy smokes! How did you spot THAT???   If everyone had eyes like yours, optometrists would go out of business!  

I'm just saying that as someone who spends a fair part of my life looking for things that are right under my nose.

Mikie

Mikie, maybe you did spot this (the picture is featured in the documentary). In the lower left corner: is that a sun helmet and could it be a Hawley?

567901709_Schermopname(2380).png.408f01dfa437e299907191bed8170416.png

Rene

5 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

Mikie, maybe you did spot this (the picture is featured in the documentary). In the lower left corner: is that a sun helmet and could it be a Hawley?

Rene

Oh great.  How did I miss that?  Next thing you know, somebody will be telling me there is half a B-17 in this picture too.  

And one of you will be able to tell the make and model of that bike.  

Mikie

11 hours ago, mikie said:

Oh great.  How did I miss that?  Next thing you know, somebody will be telling me there is half a B-17 in this picture too.  

And one of you will be able to tell the make and model of that bike.  

Mikie

Well spotted, that B-17 is actually an extremely rare prototype; in an effort to keep the weight down it was made of two separate pieces and you had to buddy with someone that had the rear half. Same principle as the pup tent. 🤪

General Apathy
18 hours ago, mikie said:

18 hours ago, mikie said:

Holy smokes! How did you spot THAT???   If everyone had eyes like yours, optometrists would go out of business!  

I'm just saying that as someone who spends a fair part of my life looking for things that are right under my nose.

Mikie

Hi Mikie,

allow me to point out that ' right under your nose ' that would be your mouth . . . . . . . . . .  

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 19  2021.

.fullsizeoutput_88e5.jpeg.91e533746fdc94e0e442ea0fd0525ece.jpeg

General Apathy
18 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

Rene

Hi Rene,  I would say that that is the photographers camera box and Hawley . . . . . . . . . . 

General Apathy
1 hour ago, earlymb said:

Well spotted, that B-17 is actually an extremely rare prototype; in an effort to keep the weight down it was made of two separate pieces and you had to buddy with someone that had the rear half. Same principle as the pup tent. 🤪

Hi David,  quite an ' in-tents ' statement . . . . . . . . . . . :lol: ( pun-intended )

General Apathy

Relating back to PSP matting again . . . . . . . . 

About a year or so ago I posted a photograph of a packet of clips that I found at a local militaria show, at the time I had never seen any previous reference to these clips so it was guesswork as to what they were, since then I have kept a look out for any photo's, reference or information on the use of these clips. 

Pleased to say that I have since located a few images showing their use on PSP matting.

.fullsizeoutput_88b9.jpeg.f09b4bc98075002a161841598599e144.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_88b7.jpeg.4d9d53bf0d209e1c762d3d22134ee59b.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_88b8.jpeg.f96cfa63267d96c8192a5be4788c2cef.jpeg

General Apathy

Coronavirus solutions . . . . . . . 

Interesting new baby carriage just launched . . . . . . . . . :unsure:

.fullsizeoutput_88f8.jpeg.5adfefa764e98da46551ac0a560d09f8.jpeg

General Apathy

forum post likes . . . . . . . .

just saying thanks to several forum members that have posted ' Likes ' on various recent posts on this thread . . . . . . 🙋‍♂️

General Apathy

Normandy Then & Now images . . . . . . . 

I did this comparison from memory as I passed through this particular village so I didn't quite get the right angle on the frontages of the houses.

.fullsizeoutput_88e1.jpeg.8f21604f2d93467039ee48a1c85f8758.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_88f1.jpeg.8c12d77221f428d975e89981da70ee02.jpeg

General Apathy

Paying the cost . . . . . . . .

normally I suck up the cost of petrol and time to gather Then & Now images, but yesterdays images cost a bit more to bring to the thread,  I also had to suck up another cost yesterday . . . . . . . . . .  :o

About five months ago I had four new tyres ( tires ) fitted to the car, and with the lockdown curfews we have endured then I have possibly put way less than a thousand miles on the tyres.  So yesterday it was painful to see one of the tyres scrapped due to an unrepairable slash on the tread from a chunk of metal. :mellow:

The tyres have to be high-speed rated for the insurance and model of car . . . . . . . . . 

.IMG_5978.JPG.0eda59f91fa526b44d8ee85fe06bbd17.JPG

1 hour ago, General Apathy said:

Paying the cost . . . . . . . .

normally I suck up the cost of petrol and time to gather Then & Now images, but yesterdays images cost a bit more to bring to the thread,  I also had to suck up another cost yesterday . . . . . . . . . .  :o

About five months ago I had four new tyres ( tires ) fitted to the car, and with the lockdown curfews we have endured then I have possibly put way less than a thousand miles on the tyres.  So yesterday it was painful to see one of the tyres scrapped due to an unrepairable slash on the tread from a chunk of metal. :mellow:

The tyres have to be high-speed rated for the insurance and model of car . . . . . . . . . 

.IMG_5978.JPG.0eda59f91fa526b44d8ee85fe06bbd17.JPG

Sorry to hear of the flat tire.  One of those always deflates my good mood.  On the bright side, maybe that chunk of metal is an old piece of shrapnel?  

Mikie

11 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Normandy Then & Now images . . . . . . . 

I did this comparison from memory as I passed through this particular village so I didn't quite get the right angle on the frontages of the houses.

.fullsizeoutput_88e1.jpeg.8f21604f2d93467039ee48a1c85f8758.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_88f1.jpeg.8c12d77221f428d975e89981da70ee02.jpeg

Oh the horror! You took the photo from a slightly off angle. Just terrible T&N. I can't even look at it. 

Of course I'm kidding. They are always fascinating, not just for the content, but for the remarkable effort in putting them together.

Mikie

General Apathy
8 hours ago, mikie said:

Oh the horror! You took the photo from a slightly off angle. Just terrible T&N. I can't even look at it. 

Of course I'm kidding. They are always fascinating, not just for the content, but for the remarkable effort in putting them together.

Mikie

Hi Mikie,

Well here's a better attempt of a Then & Now that my UK Jeeping friend Len took some years ago, and shared with me to add here. 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 20  2021.

.fullsizeoutput_8903.jpeg.818ae4c174b42d6c0591d309c06ea561.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_8902.jpeg.304b6fa2ef7c440d37259422392f3134.jpeg

1 hour ago, General Apathy said:

Well if you want something for your collection, think about this . . . . . . . . 

Just come up for sale on Milweb a WWII US ship the Betsy-Ross

https://www.milweb.net/webvert/a5199/100024

.img_1.jpg.00d8999bc0d2551d08088b4983fb6f4c.jpg

Honey!  We're selling the house! 

BILL THE PATCH

It's possible, john wayne had a ww2 mine sweeper converted into a yacht. There's a you tube video showing a tour of the vessel.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

General Apathy
22 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Well if you want something for your collection, think about this . . . . . . . . 

Just come up for sale on Milweb a WWII US ship the Betsy-Ross

https://www.milweb.net/webvert/a5199/100024

.img_1.jpg.00d8999bc0d2551d08088b4983fb6f4c.jpg

Hi Mikie,

I think you would need to sell more than your house, while you're at it you could probably meet the devil at the crossroads at mid-night you might then become a Blues guitarist . . . . . . . . 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 21  2021.

General Apathy
20 hours ago, stratasfan said:

That would make the best and coolest houseboat you could imagine, that's for sure! :)

Hi Stratasfan,  I'm not really a fan of sailing however for something as original and authentic as this I could make an exception . . . . 

General Apathy
18 hours ago, BILL THE PATCH said:

It's possible, john wayne had a ww2 mine sweeper converted into a yacht. There's a you tube video showing a tour of the vessel.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Hi Bill,  thanks you're right I had heard mention before of this, there are several video clips on Youtube covering the one he owned, here's one a six minute clip of the ' Wild Goose ' .  

General Apathy
10 hours ago, huntssurplus said:

I know what I want for Christmas...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Hunts, 

The problem when you get one is that a friend goes one above you and buys an aircraft carrier . . . . . . ' He who dies with the largest toys wins ' . . . . . . . . .:lol: :lol:

15 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie,

I think you would need to sell more than your house, while you're at it you could probably meet the devil at the crossroads at mid-night you might then become a Blues guitarist . . . . . . . . 

Ah, but then our house is in Silicon Valley. A house 6 doors down, in really horrible  "fixer-upper", condition just sold for $1.2 million. First thing the new owners did was tear it apart and start rebuilding. That's close to 4x what we paid back in 2003. Our place was built in 1946. I was hoping I'd find a few WWII footlockers filled with bringbacks up in the attic. No such luck. Just some vintage spider webs.

Mikie