Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

More museum proposals . . . . . . . . . 

For a couple of years now there has been talk swirling around Carentan about the opening of a new facility to educate tourists and visitors about the events which happened in Normandy in 1944 and despite there already being two established museums in Carentan, these being the Victory museum on the Bayeux side of Carentan, and Deadman's corner museum on the Ste Mere Eglise side of Carentan.  The talk is also of a large visitor hotel to be built to house visitors and tourists.   There has been both support and disappointment at such proposals. 

Now another museum is being spoken of in the village / town of Ravenoville, which is roughly mid-way between the museums at Utah beach and Ste Mere Eglise. On the outskirts of Ravenoville is the village of Foucarville which is where a large German POW camp was established housing 40,000 German POW's. 

https://actu.fr/normandie/ravenoville_50427/cotentin-deja-1-5-million-d-euros-collectes-aux-etats-unis-pour-le-projet-de-nouveau-musee_38622137.html?fbclid=IwAR2sRAntuNRMOCpAu2Zzk-jgTkIFnRcu7_fthl2h1hZRpa3CEhgT8ru2XXs

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 12  2021.

General Apathy
18 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

This can't be serious, can it?

skft-60269cd65d1413eda8d80062bc9567c4.jpg.0fd97d40006848c7c6986ff499b28edc.jpg

Hi Rene,  how funny that you should post this advert image of transporting goats. Over the last few weeks I have been designing and making a couple of carriers to aid Jane in carrying new born lambs from the fields to the support pens inside a covered barn.  These involve a wide belly band and shoulder strap so she can transport a lamb on either hip allowing the mother to both see the lambs and follow them to the support pens in the barn. The mothers won't generally follow if the lambs are carried in either a tractor box or on the rear of the John Deere Gator.

General Apathy
16 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

Hi Ken,
I haven't seen P for quite some time now... But I think he is still collecting and most likely still has the holy grail pants...
He's working on new displays for our local museum too, so I guess/hope to run into him this year...

Hi Johan,  please say hello from me when you do meet up . . . . . . 

General Apathy
11 hours ago, mikie said:

Great photos. Thank goodness your battery lasted this time. I especially like that last one looking down the sunken road.

Hi Mikie,  thanks for your comments on the photo's, sadly the previous Sundays views would have been much more stunning.

General Apathy

Private Colour footage of Pearl Harbor  7th December 1941 . . . . . 

An interesting 15 minute video presentation by Martin K. A. Morgan, author & historian covering footage taken by Harold Oberg stationed at Hickam Field, Hawaii during December 1941.  Harold and his wife Eda woke to the sounds of planes and bombs early Sunday morning 7th of December, Harold dressed and raced off to the airfield, Eda picked up their movie camera and tried to get some images of the attack.  Harold returned later and took the camera back to the airfield and recorded some more footage of that day.

Also interesting to see the home made bomb shelter they dug in the lawn of their apartment. The footage looks amazing and the couple so young and hard to think that he died in the 60's and she late 80's  

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 13  2021.

General Apathy
On 1/14/2021 at 5:20 AM, sundance said:

Thanks for the video. Very interesting. 

Hi Sundance,  thanks for letting me know that you watched it, nice to hear that you enjoyed it.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 16  2021.

General Apathy

recent newspaper article . . . . . . . 

a few days ago I read a newspaper article that an American woman has made a hobby of cleaning unattended gravestones . . . . . . 

One of the stones that was featured was that of a WWII soldier who died on 6th of June 1944 . . . . . . . . He is honoured on the 

Omaha Beach memorial wall. 

http://omaha-beach-memorial.org/public/ind_folder.php?id=15599

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 16  2021.

.fullsizeoutput_8616.jpeg.5dfd5fb683eb37dda6a0b863b679b2d4.jpeg

On 1/13/2021 at 3:01 PM, General Apathy said:

Private Colour footage of Pearl Harbor  7th December 1941 . . . . . 

An interesting 15 minute video presentation by Martin K. A. Morgan, author & historian covering footage taken by Harold Oberg stationed at Hickam Field, Hawaii during December 1941.  Harold and his wife Eda woke to the sounds of planes and bombs early Sunday morning 7th of December, Harold dressed and raced off to the airfield, Eda picked up their movie camera and tried to get some images of the attack.  Harold returned later and took the camera back to the airfield and recorded some more footage of that day.

Also interesting to see the home made bomb shelter they dug in the lawn of their apartment. The footage looks amazing and the couple so young and hard to think that he died in the 60's and she late 80's  

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 13  2021.

Great video. A rare look at history unfolding in front of our eyes. 

General Apathy
17 hours ago, mikie said:

Great video. A rare look at history unfolding in front of our eyes. 

Hi Mikie,

Thanks,  hope you enjoyed it and the couples storyline watching such unfolding historical events, a momentous day for sure. 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 17  2021.

General Apathy
16 hours ago, 12thengr said:

Very nice video and story, historic moment indeed!

Hi 12th,  thanks for posting and letting me know that you watched the video, always nice to hear when members do. ;)

General Apathy

Normandy Then & Now . . . . . . . . . 

this mornings comparison photo, only the building immediately on the left survived, the building centre and right were demolished post war for road widening . . . . . . 

.fullsizeoutput_873f.jpeg.28b9d09effa54b4d979da34df20f9ffa.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_8743.jpeg.5ce5c005acde9cfc8af0b5b428e9018b.jpeg

General Apathy

The towns train station 1938 & 2021.

.fullsizeoutput_8738.jpeg.59500fac0d23d539f92367ec8f9776fe.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_8740.jpeg.a8ac885d8176649ae5a00aeef7bfa69c.jpeg

Hi Ken

Thank you for sharing the Harold and Eda home movie pictures! I really enjoyed the presentation, and how well it was put together. The footage both shocking and amazing!

As a militaria enthusiast I was surprised to see the 'US' stamp on his 1911 ammunition pouch. I assume he must have applied it, as we know they weren't officially marked in that way. If I had seen one on the militaria market, I would have discredited it. Well, here is vital evidence to prove that they did do it! Cool!

All the best

Graham

10 hours ago, General Apathy said:

this mornings comparison photo, only the building immediately on the left survived, the building centre and right were demolished post war for road widening . . . . . . 

.fullsizeoutput_873f.jpeg.28b9d09effa54b4d979da34df20f9ffa.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_8743.jpeg.5ce5c005acde9cfc8af0b5b428e9018b.jpeg

They probably left this building up just in case anyone wanted to make a Then & Now sometime in the future.

17 hours ago, General Apathy said:

The towns train station 1938 & 2021.

.fullsizeoutput_8738.jpeg.59500fac0d23d539f92367ec8f9776fe.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_8740.jpeg.a8ac885d8176649ae5a00aeef7bfa69c.jpeg

The thing for me with things like that 1938 photo is that those folks have no idea what was in store for them just 2 years later. Or what horrors would surround them 4 years after that. To us it's history, to them the unforeseeable future. Reminds me that we have no idea what is come up either. I know, my imagination gets way out of control sometimes.

General Apathy
19 hours ago, LtRGFRANK said:

always enjoy your then and now photos

Hi Robert,

thanks, makes it all worthwhile hearing that you enjoy the comparisons, here's another pair for you . . . . . 

all the buildings on the left were rebuilt further back for widening the road at this intersection.  Only the buildings in the distance on the far right are part of the Then & Now comparisons in these images, they are also the location of the aid station used during fighting in and around the town, it's also the aid station that Dick Winters had his leg wound dealt with.  

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 18  2021.

.fullsizeoutput_873d.jpeg.378c02693818df8e13f0737127edc331.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_8744.jpeg.d9b69da995858dc7e586d25476d0e96e.jpeg

General Apathy
18 hours ago, MCDUFF said:

Hi Ken

Thank you for sharing the Harold and Eda home movie pictures! I really enjoyed the presentation, and how well it was put together. The footage both shocking and amazing!

As a militaria enthusiast I was surprised to see the 'US' stamp on his 1911 ammunition pouch. I assume he must have applied it, as we know they weren't officially marked in that way. If I had seen one on the militaria market, I would have discredited it. Well, here is vital evidence to prove that they did do it! Cool!

All the best

Graham

Hi Graham,

Nice to hear from you again, hope you're managing to stay shielded in this current Covid crisis.

Good spot on the markings on his ammunition pouch, it appears to be a WWI issue, sometimes these have a brass disc attached on the flap embossed with Infantry, Cavalry or Artillery symbols, however as you say it appears to look like the letters U.S. !!

.fullsizeoutput_87b6.jpeg.a162b74ca7b7512c767559c2572d438c.jpeg

General Apathy
12 hours ago, mikie said:

They probably left this building up just in case anyone wanted to make a Then & Now sometime in the future.

Hi Mikie,

very funny, and I write this thread and show photographs in the hope that one day someone in seventy-seven years time would like to see what was still around in the year 2021, seventy-seven years after the 1944 images were taken.

Here's another pair of photographs, just two of the buildings remain and others built where some were demolished.  The tall square building on the left of the photo has had it's tall chimney removed and the wall advert is no longer to be seen, and the second building is the one with the long sloping roof.  Where the badly damaged building appears in the original shot now stands a garage and garden, the large cream painted building on the left of my photo is the post-war town post office. 

.fullsizeoutput_8735.jpeg.14a55f98f9ced9ec8716a7f0b86e74c0.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_8737.jpeg.3e15ba45bbc357df064d943847e066b1.jpeg

It is difficult to see, but I think there is a chance the building next to the one with the long sloping roof is also still there, but with the front part added to it?

General Apathy
1 hour ago, earlymb said:

It is difficult to see, but I think there is a chance the building next to the one with the long sloping roof is also still there, but with the front part added to it?

Hi David,  thanks,  I have been through my files and I found this one, I was hoping to find one showing more on the left side of the original photo, the part that you can see here shows a garden wall and yard.   I think I have a shot of a US soldier sat in a Jeep and the buildings behind him should be these ones, will have another look when I have time.

Just need to get out grocery buying the whole of France has a no drive curfew which starts at 18.00 hours !!!!!!!!! 

.fullsizeoutput_8830.jpeg.a1fd745ed580a1c8438499f60bc092f7.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_8834.jpeg.a8ff1a6fabbd77b7aca24bfe285c6397.jpeg

On 1/17/2021 at 7:16 AM, MCDUFF said:

Hi Ken

All the best

Graham

Holy smokes! How did you spot THAT???   If everyone had eyes like yours, optometrists would go out of business!  

I'm just saying that as someone who spends a fair part of my life looking for things that are right under my nose.

Mikie