Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy
5 hours ago, mikie said:

If you catch a distant scent of wood smoke, it's just me trying to think what this could be. It reminds me a little of part of a 19th century ceramic beer bottles. But pretty sure it isnt. 

Mikie

Hi Kat & Mikie, thanks to both of you for attempting to guess the mystery item.  Well here it is, it's a homemade jelly mould for making grenade jellies to go with ice-cream for desert . . . . . . . . . . it's much more fun not being a normal person, let your mind run.  :lol: :lol:

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 25  2020.  ( Christmas Day )

.fullsizeoutput_8140.jpeg.7dd10bef9d896bb35756efa9d8b3f5bb.jpeg

General Apathy

Johnnie's wish came true this year when he opened his presents, perhaps we should all wish for the same next year.

Happy and safe Christmas Day everyone . . . . . . . . . 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 25  2020.  ( Christmas Day )

.fullsizeoutput_8153.jpeg.12c9503f521af549a831f2c91e0f035f.jpeg

On 12/21/2020 at 10:27 PM, General Apathy said:

Hi Everyone a quick post for this evening . . . . . . . . . . . 

Apologies for not replying to all of the above comments this evening, it's a rather busy evening with being so close to Christmas, hopefully with more time tomorrow I will respond. 

Anyway what I just wanted to share with you was the dangers of fruit . . . . . . . . . . . :(

I have always believed Blueberries to be in the category of ' Super-Fruits  in that they are good anti-oxidents for the body, I buy several lots of them every week and possibly try to eat some on a daily basis.

However today my involvement with Blueberries or should I state one particular Blueberry didn't end well.  I was in the supermarket and walking towards the cash desk with a Christmas gift of Whiskey in my left hand, a dozen eggs in my right hand, as I passed the greengrocery section I encountered this one Blueberry, it was squashed on the floor, unseeing it I trod on it and slipped backwards.  Without thinking about it my hands reached forwards and I buried my chin into my chest, I hit the floor flat out, whiskey and eggs extended into the air.  Thankfully the whiskey, eggs and head didn't make contact with the floor and I was up and on my way again, a minor setback and a smile on my face.

So when people always tell you that such & such would be good for you there's always the exception to the rule, and today proved it. :lol:

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 21  2020.

Hi Ken, on the anti oxident front my first choice of weapon is dark chocolate............ maybe not as healthy as Blueberries but so far I've never slipped over a piece😀

I'm glad you're okay, though....(and the whiskey too)

Rene

On 12/22/2020 at 2:59 PM, General Apathy said:

Hi Leigh, pleased you're back again, nice to hear that you made it to Normandy with your father, you don't mention your fathers age when you visited was he old enough to have served over here. Pleased to have you here to read and enjoy the posts. ;)

I wasn't going to make mention of this but as you say it's been a tough year for everyone, as I type this my brother-in-law is being cremated in the UK he died of Cancer the 16th December, sadly I am unable to travel there to support my sister and say goodbye, all cross channel ferry services are cancelled due to the virus. Eric worked hard over four years raising money and overseeing the village hall rebuild and renovation, again sadly none of the villagers. and friends are allowed to attend the cremation and send off.  

My thoughts are with the many other people who are all in similar circumstances at this time. 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 22  2020.

Hi Ken, a little bit late but I'm sorry for your loss. It's especially sad to hear you were not able to attend the funeral. 

Rene

22 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Owen,  shot of my friend Jim Dowdall ( who you worked with on ' Fury ) ' in the office ' the office in this case being the camera car, driving it around the wet and rainy circuit at 120 mph during the 2013 filming of ' Rush ' the 1976 story of British F1 racing driver James Hunt and his rivalry with Niki Lauda.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 24  2020.

.fullsizeoutput_8100.jpeg.d8dc81475b66acef07c9b3efbb82a2d4.jpeg

Thanks for the photo, Ken. I did like the film, actually. It portrays the 1976 formula 1 season and the rivalry between James Hunt and Niki Lauda. It was during this season that Niki Lauda had his fiery accident at the Nürnburgring. I've once briefly met Niki Lauda at the Dutch Grand Prix (I believe it was in 1983) and got his signature.

Rene

3 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Kat & Mikie, thanks to both of you for attempting to guess the mystery item.  Well here it is, it's a homemade jelly mould for making grenade jellies to go with ice-cream for desert . . . . . . . . . . it's much more fun not being a normal person, let your mind run.  :lol: :lol:

Hi Ken, again I must admit that I admire your photograhic skills..........you seem to have a knack for photographing items in such a way that no-one seems to even have the slightest chance in guessing what it is 😄.............a jelly bomb!

Rene

Johan Willaert
13 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Johan,  yes you have the building listed exactly, De'Trez used it for his temporary museum displays.

Merry Christmas all!

And to ad to the above, go to this post for some photos of the 1994 expo in that Carentan building.... It was mindblowing at the time...

Not exactly a Then and Now but 76 years ago people who would like to attend church service had to resort to cellars instead of churches. The reason for this was that it was simply too dangerous due to shelling and Germans who were actively searching for men to go dig trenches, to stray too far away from home. Luckily there were several houses whith cellars where such services could be held. One of them (there are more) is marked with a plaque as a reminder. 

354624679_SAM_0278(2).JPG.037fcca70bc70733e2b3f3252fa69891.JPG

So service at Christmas Eve may have looked like this in 1944.....(picture of an actual cellar service during the war)

SAM_0818.JPG.f7a63bf7a453083bf222220a9e8c5352.JPG

Rene

8 hours ago, General Apathy said:

That was going to be my second guess! 

General Apathy
21 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

Hi Ken, a little bit late but I'm sorry for your loss. It's especially sad to hear you were not able to attend the funeral. 

Rene

Hi Rene,  many thanks initially I didn't wish to mention the loss of a family member at Christmas when we all wish for a happier time for ourselves and our family and friends, however I was was extremely proud to hear of the village send off when it was impossible for us all to attend due to travel and and people gathering restrictions.

My sister has received many cards with personal messages regarding Eric, also she told me that she has had many letters some of which have four pages of hand-written memories of Eric and his help and assistance during his life. ^_^ 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 26  2020.  

General Apathy
22 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

Thanks for the photo, Ken. I did like the film, actually. It portrays the 1976 formula 1 season and the rivalry between James Hunt and Niki Lauda. It was during this season that Niki Lauda had his fiery accident at the Nürnburgring. I've once briefly met Niki Lauda at the Dutch Grand Prix (I believe it was in 1983) and got his signature.

Rene

Hi Rene,  thats interesting that you managed to get Lauda's signature, it was a tragic accident that he managed to survive but not without much damage to his body, health and mind. 

I consider myself a bit of a petrol-head for most petrol driven options but to sit watching F1 has never really captured my imagination, I prefer actually using and driving military vehicles,  cars and fast cars. . . . . . . . . ^_^

A friend who has often been a passenger with me who has also done amateur track racing with Porsche cars once said to me that listening to me saying that I now drive more slowly was ' like listening to Jack the Ripper talking about health care '. :D

General Apathy
21 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

Merry Christmas all!

And to ad to the above, go to this post for some photos of the 1994 expo in that Carentan building.... It was mindblowing at the time...

Hi Johan,  thank you,  the 1994 was something to see, the layout, style and quality of the exhibits were excellent. 

General Apathy
21 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

Not exactly a Then and Now but 76 years ago people who would like to attend church service had to resort to cellars instead of churches. The reason for this was that it was simply too dangerous due to shelling and Germans who were actively searching for men to go dig trenches, to stray too far away from home. Luckily there were several houses whith cellars where such services could be held. One of them (there are more) is marked with a plaque as a reminder. 

354624679_SAM_0278(2).JPG.037fcca70bc70733e2b3f3252fa69891.JPG

So service at Christmas Eve may have looked like this in 1944.....(picture of an actual cellar service during the war)

SAM_0818.JPG.f7a63bf7a453083bf222220a9e8c5352.JPG

Rene

Hi Rene,  thank you for showing us the tribulations that the Dutch citizens had to go through in those final months of the war. 

General Apathy

Normandy now . . . . . . . . . . 

this week I was clearing dead leaves out of guttering on my girlfriends barns, while on the ladder I noticed many bullet holes around upper level apertures which had possibly been used as sniper holes.  Janes farm had been used as a German ammunition depot during the war and once captured became an American depot.

Most of the stone used on Normandy building is quite a soft sandstone which is easy for bullets to penetrate.

.fullsizeoutput_8159.jpeg.d1296583b3b202b2bece2e3afc371cb8.jpeg

.IMG_5880.JPG.9249b3bfd30eb319d43705bfd584ede1.JPG

.IMG_5882.JPG.87348aad0b4e5b61c624adb157153c29.JPG

General Apathy
36 minutes ago, Sorcerer1 said:

Merry Christmas Ken! The 1984/ 1985 Christmas was much colder, and more snow in Marvie.

Maggy and Guy

Hi Guy,  thanks for the greetings and joining in on the thread.  ;)

I hope I have this right,  is it ' Vrolikj Kerstfeest ' or ' Prettige kerstdagen en bedankt voor je groeten ', it's all Dutch to me . . . . . . . . . :lol: :lol:

9 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Rene,  thats interesting that you managed to get Lauda's signature, it was a tragic accident that he managed to survive but not without much damage to his body, health and mind. 

I consider myself a bit of a petrol-head for most petrol driven options but to sit watching F1 has never really captured my imagination, I prefer actually using and driving military vehicles,  cars and fast cars. . . . . . . . . ^_^

A friend who has often been a passenger with me who has also done amateur track racing with Porsche cars once said to me that listening to me saying that I now drive more slowly was ' like listening to Jack the Ripper talking about health care '. :D

😄 !!! Almost choked on my corn flakes and blueberries.  

General Apathy

Normandy 6 June 1944 . . . . . . . .

The letter below informs the local inhabitants that the Germans would be holding live firing exercises between 7 & 9 am on the morning of 6th June 1944 and the restrictions that they needed to be aware of.  Made me smile the thought that the shooting started before the planned 7am start time, I wonder what came into their minds when all hell broke loose and they were receiving it and it was not them firing seawards . . . . . . . . :o

"  I have the honor to let you know that firing will take place on the coast on June 6, 1944 towards the sea between Grandcamp les Bains and Manvieux. The inhabitants must stay in the shelter and the cattle must be removed from the pastures. the presence of fishing boats is prohibited in the Dangereouse maritime zone  "

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 27  2020.

.fullsizeoutput_8161.jpeg.4e75c48a9f38cf4cb4cf77b221101c40.jpeg

General Apathy
23 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

Hey Ken,

Thx for welcoming Guy to this topic...
Guy and I go way back... Here's a photo of us both from our re-enactment days...

2-02-2014 11;44;56.JPG

Hi Johan, pleased to have Guy join in . . . . . . Hope you enjoy the thread Guy . . . . . ^_^

General Apathy
16 hours ago, mikie said:

😄 !!! Almost choked on my corn flakes and blueberries.  

Hi Mikie,  I did try to warn you that Blueberries can be deadly, especially choking . . . . . . . . . . :lol:

31 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

Normandy 6 June 1944 . . . . . . . .

The letter below informs the local inhabitants that the Germans would be holding live firing exercises between 7 & 9 am on the morning of 6th June 1944 and the restrictions that they needed to be aware of.  Made me smile the thought that the shooting started before the planned 7am start time, I wonder what came into their minds when all hell broke loose and they were receiving it and it was not them firing seawards . . . . . . . . :o

"  I have the honor to let you know that firing will take place on the coast on June 6, 1944 towards the sea between Grandcamp les Bains and Manvieux. The inhabitants must stay in the shelter and the cattle must be removed from the pastures. the presence of fishing boats is prohibited in the Dangereouse maritime zone  "

.fullsizeoutput_8161.jpeg.4e75c48a9f38cf4cb4cf77b221101c40.jpeg

That's amazing. Never seen this before. That's quite a stretch of the landing beaches they intended to practice on and would possibly include the Maisy batterie complex and Longues sur Mer.

Rene

General Apathy
2 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

I saw this mentioned on the USMF facebook page and thought I'll post it here too. Always liked the show.

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/instant-articles/m-a-s-h.html

Not sure if link works

Rene

Hi Rene,  how weird for the first time in years I watched the original film version of MASH last night with Jane, here's a shot of Donald Sutherland with Jo Ann Phlug ( Lt.Dish )  

.3105042853991153987.jpg.9f1b67713c296f2ae9d5d7bb2e75fba5.jpg

General Apathy

Last post for this evening . . . . . . . 

I have an old 1944 album of sixty photographs taken during the Arnhem campaign, not certain how many of these may have been seen before but one shot particularly intrigues me.  It features a dead German soldier in full uniform and accoutrements, gas mask container etc, however the hairstyle has the look, length and style of a woman, has anyone any further information on this particular image. Thanks in anticipation.

In the album there is also a photograph of a second woman again in German army trousers and sweater.

.fullsizeoutput_814a.jpeg.2051f7be7f0a7cf1aaeea431fc67bff4.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_8146.jpeg.888a99e4994abee0fa00c685e49740d0.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_8148.jpeg.7acc246c2794d286fd2f6db52bd5148d.jpeg